Skip to content

New patch info!

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It takes too long for updates to reach Steam, so it's difficult to curate a beta with the Steam-base in the way we'd like. A big part of that delay is because Atari handles the updates.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @ChildofBhaal599 The distribution of BGEE through Steam is Atari's responsibility.
  • VishnuVishnu Member Posts: 66
    Why can't patches be released standalone like in the old times?
  • VortakaVortaka Member Posts: 173
    @Vishnu:
    Because of Steam itself... Before, patches were release by the company and distributed by the company (who ever did the game)... With Steam (Steam is like the middle man...), Steam receives it, modifies the load (for it to work with Steam itself) and then approves it; then releases it! So, there are additional steps to take care of...

So, take it like the groceries... You do not buy directly (usually) from the persons who managed the original food... Instead, you buy it from the middle man... Shops, groceries, markets, etc...
    @Vortaka

Mind that I don't use Steam except for BGEE (which was a present, so I had to create the account), but I assume that the issue would be people having clients with different patch versions?
    edited August 2013
    @Vishnu
    Yes... Well, from what I can figure out (cause I don't work for them); since Steam leaves their "hand prints" or "finger prints", the version even though with the same number, is slightly different. (Recoded maybe?)

And since it is obligatory for Steam patch releases to have Steam "prints", they'll have to add their "prints" to every little tweaks of a patch Beamdog does... Also, not everyone wants to test it (and Steam, to my knowledge, unless you disable it per game, is auto update...

Also, but this is just guessing or speculation or whatever (my friend found out that Xbox update works like that), they may have a limited number of update a game or a year... If they go over, they might be charged extra. (It's a cheapy company money strategy). So, to many little updates = more $ they need to spend...
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Vishnu @Vortaka Steam and Beamdog versions are identical EXCEPT for a small difference in directory structure. The game files themselves are the same in both versions.
    edited August 2013
    Game files are mostly always the same, no matter the game... (Game files = resources files). It's the exe file (or files) (the loading files) that differs, but just so little... It's possible to be the same, but since the protection itself is different (beamdog compared to steam), I "would" think they aren't identical...
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I recently switched from a Beamdog client install of my game to a manually downloaded install (still from Beamdog, just not through the client). Will there be a manual download file available once the final version of the patch releases?
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    edited August 2013

Will there be a manual download file available once the final version of the patch releases?

If it works like all the previous patches, the stand-alone launcher checks for patches on startup.
    When the final version of the patch becomes availible, when you start the launcher, it'll give you the option to Apply/Not Apply the patch.

If you apply it, it imediately goes into file checking then download mode and it downloads and applies the patch for you.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Just to confirm, yes, when the patch is finally "released to the wild", it will work just like the version you have now, across all platforms where it's available. The client requirement is only for the Open Beta.
    Vortaka said:

@Vishnu
    Yes... Well, from what I can figure out (cause I don't work for them); since Steam leaves their "hand prints" or "finger prints", the version even though with the same number, is slightly different. (Recoded maybe?)

And since it is obligatory for Steam patch releases to have Steam "prints", they'll have to add their "prints" to every little tweaks of a patch Beamdog does... Also, not everyone wants to test it (and Steam, to my knowledge, unless you disable it per game, is auto update...

Also, but this is just guessing or speculation or whatever (my friend found out that Xbox update works like that), they may have a limited number of update a game or a year... If they go over, they might be charged extra. (It's a cheapy company money strategy). So, to many little updates = more $ they need to spend...

mlnevese said:

@Vishnu @Vortaka Steam and Beamdog versions are identical EXCEPT for a small difference in directory structure. The game files themselves are the same in both versions.

After reading this and seeing how files are exactly the same, I don't see any reason why we can't have a standalone version of the patch as soon as it's available.

So, what would be the official answer to my request?
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Vishnu said:

So, what would be the official answer to my request?

Dee said:

It takes too long for updates to reach Steam, so it's difficult to curate a beta with the Steam-base in the way we'd like. A big part of that delay is because Atari handles the updates.

It takes less than 1 hour for us to update a Beamdog build (once the fixes are in place). It takes weeks to update a Steam build.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    Is there any ETA on when we can expect patch notes?
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    @Vishnu I too miss the times patches could be manually downloaded. But you had to download it uphill both ways while snowing :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    HEAR! HEAR!

#BG2EE is indeed back in development and starting to move along again

25th August, Trent Oster

... AND Android is back in the works!

These messages have made my day.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026

Phillip Daigle: #BGEE Expect it around early or mid-September.
    Hope that helps, brave warrior @Mathmick

reminds me, how Trent originally said, that the Android version will be out sometime in mid-February (2013)
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    Open beta how encouraging.... maybe you all beta bunnies can breed and skin the ugly bugs there - I will not.... but by the by Beamtrogs:

When is your pet monkey Battalion Commander going to get the Atari General to Clear him for the BIG ANDROID BOMB DROP YO YO SELL IT TO ME BEAMERR DAWGS YO YA ALL GOTTA MAKE DEM PAYMENTS ON THE BEAMMER DAWG BEAMERS AMI RITE!!?

IS you all on the doll or kickin it in da abandoned houses wit da broke biscuits? When you gonna take ma Mooooney for BG 2 and ANDROID ???!!! IS you still Cat Fighting with Atari?

Sorry really really can't be bothered to search for the answers.... amybe check reponse to dis afta I get in da werk place and I am slappin my fat head gainst my chair snouuzing and perusing da internet....
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326

Mathmick said:

Is there any ETA on when we can expect patch notes?

That refers to the open beta/patch release. My question was directed toward when we're getting patch notes, more generally whether or not we get to take a look before open beta comes around.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Southpaw said:

reminds me, how Trent originally said, that the Android version will be out sometime in mid-February (2013)
    When did he say that?
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    elminster said:

Southpaw said:

When did he say that?
    In our dreams :p
    edited August 2013
    ajwz said:

elminster said:

Southpaw said:

When did he say that?
    In our dreams :p

:D
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    Beowulf said:

Open beta how encouraging.... maybe you all beta bunnies can breed and skin the ugly bugs there - I will not.... but by the by Beamtrogs:

When is your pet monkey Battalion Commander going to get the Atari General to Clear him for the BIG ANDROID BOMB DROP YO YO SELL IT TO ME BEAMERR DAWGS YO YA ALL GOTTA MAKE DEM PAYMENTS ON THE BEAMMER DAWG BEAMERS AMI RITE!!?

IS you all on the doll or kickin it in da abandoned houses wit da broke biscuits? When you gonna take ma Mooooney for BG 2 and ANDROID ???!!! IS you still Cat Fighting with Atari?

Sorry really really can't be bothered to search for the answers.... amybe check reponse to dis afta I get in da werk place and I am slappin my fat head gainst my chair snouuzing and perusing da internet....

What?
    elminster said:

Southpaw said:

When did he say that?
    around January 2012
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    elminster said:

:D

I can't help but to think that Irenicus is cooking up something there... hm, looks like some serious hot trinidad moruga scorpion chilly pepper curry. Guess it's no wonder that his guests will suffer from that dish. :/
    edited August 2013
    Southpaw said:

elminster said:

Southpaw said:

When did he say that?
    around January 2012
    Since the game wasn't even officially announced until March 2012 I'm going to assume you meant 2013.

http://www.baldursgate.com/news/2012/03/15/announcing-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/
    elminster said:

Southpaw said:

elminster said:

Southpaw said:

When did he say that?
    around January 2012
    Since the game wasn't even officially announced until March 2012 I'm going to assume you meant 2013.

http://www.baldursgate.com/news/2012/03/15/announcing-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/
    You are right. My bad. I meant 2013. (Or...Trent seized control of one of the time machines and now is trolling people)
    Yea I checked over his twitter. I really didn't see anywhere where he promised a mid feb release.