Skip to content

What is your favorite magic item in BG1?

13»

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122

ajwz said:

Gauntlets of dexterity are a bit of a silly choice for most powerful item.
    At best, dex 18 is going to mean +4 AC for anyone who isn't a thief (and thus already has high dex)

I agree that they're not a good choice for "most powerful item", but I disagree that AC is their only usage. Eldoth is a good example of a character who is useless without them, and quite useful with them.
    But turning a useless character into a merely usable character does not a good choice of most powerful magic item make
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    edited September 2013
    ajwz said:

ajwz said:

Gauntlets of dexterity are a bit of a silly choice for most powerful item.
    At best, dex 18 is going to mean +4 AC for anyone who isn't a thief (and thus already has high dex)

I agree that they're not a good choice for "most powerful item", but I disagree that AC is their only usage. Eldoth is a good example of a character who is useless without them, and quite useful with them.
    But turning a useless character into a merely usable character does not a good choice of most powerful magic item make
    I quite like Eldoth. He can be more than "merely usable" even without the dexterity gauntleys. In my current evil party he's the best option for Bracers of Archery and The Dead Shot. Along with his poison arrows, elven chain, crowd control and support spells, high lore and pickpocketing he quickly becomes an important party member, even if still the least vital one. :P

Jack of all trades and master of none and all that.

EDIT: Anyway, I said I agreed that the Gauntlets of Dexterity were not a good choice for most powerful item.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    SionIV said:

Then there is also the Bastard sword +1/+3 vs shapeshifters,

I'm sorry, what?

Also, can you steal a certain suit of chain from a certain somebody?

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Lateralus said:

SionIV said:

I'm sorry, what?

http://www.gamebanshee.com/showshot.php?/baldursgate/equipment/images/bastardswordplus1plus3vsshapeshifters.jpg

And you can't steal his chain armor, you could only steal his off hand weapon (Frostbrand) in the original because it wasn't equipped and was in his inventory.
  • XanarXanar Member Posts: 96
    Potion of Magic Blocking may not be most powerful, but it sure does make chapters 1-5 a lot easier against mages :D

Stupifier, big-fisted belt, and robe of evil archmagi (from Baeloth) are favorite new additions.
    SionIV said:

Lateralus said:

SionIV said:

I'm sorry, what?

http://www.gamebanshee.com/showshot.php?/baldursgate/equipment/images/bastardswordplus1plus3vsshapeshifters.jpg

And you can't steal his chain armor, you could only steal his off hand weapon (Frostbrand) in the original because it wasn't equipped and was in his inventory.
    Are we still talking about Ulgoth's Beard? There is chain there, and no +3 vs shapshifter sword.
    Lateralus said:

SionIV said:

Lateralus said:

SionIV said:

I'm sorry, what?

Are we still talking about Ulgoth's Beard? There is chain there, and no +3 vs shapshifter sword.
    There is the bastard sword in one of the houses at the entrance, the hammer is in the back room in the tavern. The cloak of protection +1 is in the locked chest (80 lockpick) at the zombie farm.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2013
    Lateralus said:

elminster said:

Lateralus said:

XerxesV said:

FAVORITE: wolf-cloak from Sirine cave. I thought it was the coolest thing ever in my first play through. I would transform, have someone turn me invisible, then I'd run around spying each landscape. I don't use it as much anymore, but I never sell it.

MOST USEFUL: boots of speed. Too bad you can't get 6 pairs in BG1

MOST POWERFUL- ring of wizardry. Even though it's only level 1 spells, since magic missile gains power over time, it is a godlike item. Having Edwin cast 12 magic missiles at max level can turn the tide of any battle, and stop most enemy mages from casting a single spell.

The wolf cloak is probably the most underrated and under used item in the game, based on the fact that nobody mentions it that much. It gives you faster speed, sure. But it gives you TWO attacks per round with a 1d6 bite. It turns any mage into a viable melee combatant.
    Except that you still have the same health, your strength isn't set at anything exceptional (regular 18), no other bonus to Thac0, your dexterity is set at 17 (which could be an improvement or not), and it doesn't give you any additional AC bonus. Throwing some cash down to buy some darts +1 (for just in case moments) and staying away from the front lines is probably going to work out better.
    You can buff first. Mirror Image, the works. It's an unlimited number of polymorph into a wolf spells. You want to flail your sissy dart arms around or get your teeth bloody like a man?
    Since it'll do more damage I'll take flail my arms around. :)
    SionIV said:

Lateralus said:

SionIV said:

Lateralus said:

SionIV said:

I'm sorry, what?

There is the bastard sword in one of the houses at the entrance, the hammer is in the back room in the tavern. The cloak of protection +1 is in the locked chest (80 lockpick) at the zombie farm.
    Wow i never knew there were two of those bastards in the game. I got a paladin that dual wields long swords and bastard swords. He's insanely deadly vs undead and shapeshifters now (and demons and dragons)
    Lateralus said:

SionIV said:

Lateralus said:

SionIV said:

Lateralus said:

SionIV said:

I'm sorry, what?

Wow i never knew there were two of those bastards in the game. I got a paladin that dual wields long swords and bastard swords. He's insanely deadly vs undead and shapeshifters now (and demons and dragons)
    I heard it's just a normal Bastard sword +1 in BGEE but in the original game and BGT/Tutu it's a +1/+3.
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    Favorite:
    Bag of holding

Most useful:
    Bag of holding

Most powerful:
    Not sure... Cloak of Mirroring, Crom Faeyr, Flail of ages... there are too many awesomely powerful items to choose from
    Wolf cloak! Come on magic users, you know you have been in the following situation before:

You surprise a party of gnolls and cast sleep, knocking out all 5 of them. You sit there for hours feebly tossing darts at them and then weakly tapping them with your staff. You manage to kill one but the other 4 wake up and rip you to shreds.

With the wolf cloak you can rip out their throats!
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    edited October 2013
    It's so hard to choose.

I think I'll go with the Wand of Fire.

• luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    SionIV said:

SionIV said:

SionIV said:

HONORABLE MENTION :
    Ring of Free Action - You can get this the moment you get outside of candlekeep at the start. It will make life so much easier with immunity to hold spells, slow, ghouls, ghasts and carrion crawlers. Put it on your tank and send him into fight the clerics or ghouls in close combat while the rest of your team fire arrows and bolts from safety.

Where do you find the Ring of Free Action outside Candlekeep?

I always end up trekking all the way to Ulgoth's Beard so Imoen can pickpocket one.

"Outside candlekeep" for me means that the moment you get out in the open, you can walk to an area and find it. Ulgoth's beard is the first and quickest place you can go to get one.

1.) Walk to friendly arm inn
    2.) Go up to the ankheg map, and follow the sea and no one will attack you
    3.) Walk up the bridge map and just run past the ankheg and zone to a new area, you won't get hit.
    4.) Click on ulgoth's beard, voila.
    That's the route I always take as well. It's a bit cheesy but I do like to get the ring as early in the game as I can (ie. as soon as I've got Imoen's pick-pocketing skills high enough). And while I'm in the area I also pick up Viconia (and get myself as suit of plate armour as a bonus).

Then there is also the Bastard sword +1/+3 vs shapeshifters, War hammer +1, and cloak of protection +1 you can find laying around Ulgoth's beard and the zombie farm.
    It's just a bastard sword +1 in BG:EE. The war hammer is +1/+5 vs giant humanoids (Ogres). Along the way I do the Fishermen and the Priestess quest for an easy 2500 xp, maybe Farmer Brun's for 1500xp if I have a strong character and a potion of invisibility.
    luskan said:

SionIV said:

SionIV said:

SionIV said:

HONORABLE MENTION :
    Ring of Free Action - You can get this the moment you get outside of candlekeep at the start. It will make life so much easier with immunity to hold spells, slow, ghouls, ghasts and carrion crawlers. Put it on your tank and send him into fight the clerics or ghouls in close combat while the rest of your team fire arrows and bolts from safety.

Where do you find the Ring of Free Action outside Candlekeep?

I always end up trekking all the way to Ulgoth's Beard so Imoen can pickpocket one.

"Outside candlekeep" for me means that the moment you get out in the open, you can walk to an area and find it. Ulgoth's beard is the first and quickest place you can go to get one.

1.) Walk to friendly arm inn
    2.) Go up to the ankheg map, and follow the sea and no one will attack you
    3.) Walk up the bridge map and just run past the ankheg and zone to a new area, you won't get hit.
    4.) Click on ulgoth's beard, voila.
    That's the route I always take as well. It's a bit cheesy but I do like to get the ring as early in the game as I can (ie. as soon as I've got Imoen's pick-pocketing skills high enough). And while I'm in the area I also pick up Viconia (and get myself as suit of plate armour as a bonus).

Then there is also the Bastard sword +1/+3 vs shapeshifters, War hammer +1, and cloak of protection +1 you can find laying around Ulgoth's beard and the zombie farm.
    It's just a bastard sword +1 in BG:EE. The war hammer is +1/+5 vs giant humanoids (Ogres). Along the way I do the Fishermen and the Priestess quest for an easy 2500 xp, maybe Farmer Brun's for 1500xp if I have a strong character and a potion of invisibility.
    Same here. It's also good for the story because I would NEVER go to Nashkel before going to Baldur's Gate. I mean, locked up in a library for 20 years and the first place you want to go is a mine in some one horse village? Uhhh no. After finding out the sissy flaming fists can't handle it without shutting the city down (just like the us government does, mercenaries one and all) I would settle for something else less exciting.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Boots of speed. Everyone gets a pair.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400

Boots of speed. Everyone gets a pair.

I go along with this only if The Benny Hill Theme becomes a part of the game's soundtrack.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    My favourite, useful, powerful magic item is Spider's Bane. It's a great weapon for Minsc to stand in the front hacking away at all those ghasts in Durlag's Tower, as their Hold ability won't affect him and it's one of the most damaging melee weapons in the game.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    taltamir said:

Favorite:
    Not sure... Cloak of Mirroring, Crom Faeyr, Flail of ages... there are too many awesomely powerful items to choose from

Err, have you read the topic title? About what BG title we're talking about?

• CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    So many choices...

Most OP: gem bag/bag of holding/scroll case/option case
    Most Deadly: dagger of venom
    Most lols: boots of speed
  • Lord_CruelLord_Cruel Member Posts: 3

FAVORITE
    Tomes of [Attribute]: The buff that keeps on giving.

MOST USEFUL
    Spider's Bane, Two-Handed Sword +2. Dat Free Movement.

MOST POWERFUL
    Algernon's Cloak. CHARM ALL THE THINGS!!!

LOL the Algernon's Cloak, it is very funny, once i played with an assassin and charmed all the nasty creatures like sirines and made a lot of XP using them to fight other mobs across the map. That is a way to do a "solo" character party like a mage or a sorcerer.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited October 2013
    Aedan said:

Favorite
    Most Useful
    Most Powerful

The winner is... THE STUPEFIER!!!

I can't do nothing but to agree to @Aedan's post: my Warrior/Priest uses that weapon with immense joy while crushing skulls...*ehm* I mean while chanting and praying and... oh, come on, just crushing skulls.

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Favorite - Arrows of detonation. I just love the idea of turning my bow into a rocket launcher. But they come fairly late so I don't get as much use out of them as I do out of wands, and firing them indiscriminately can be hazardous to your health and reputation...

Most useful - the item I rely on most is the plain arrow but among magic items I'd pick the Ring of Wizardry. Even if you can't use it, you can sure use the money!

Most powerful - the Stupefier! Even mighty Elminster falls to half a brick in a sock.
    nano said:

Favorite - Arrows of detonation. I just love the idea of turning my bow into a rocket launcher. But they come fairly late so I don't get as much use out of them as I do out of wands, and firing them indiscriminately can be hazardous to your health and reputation...

Most useful - the item I rely on most is the plain arrow but among magic items I'd pick the Ring of Wizardry. Even if you can't use it, you can sure use the money!

Most powerful - the Stupefier! Even mighty Elminster falls to half a brick in a sock.

I just killed the Demon Knight with it. Ike lived and even that still standing skeleton man stayed assembled. Too bad I didn't keep Dorn alive, I could have put the Helmet on him and made him a converted Blackgaurd!
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Lateralus said:

I just killed the Demon Knight with it. Ike lived and even that still standing skeleton man stayed assembled. Too bad I didn't keep Dorn alive, I could have put the Helmet on him and made him a converted Blackgaurd!

I've always wanted to make a Blackguard who wears that helmet so he can dual wield Drizzt's swords. Wouldn't that be something!
    nano said:

Lateralus said:

I've always wanted to make a Blackguard who wears that helmet so he can dual wield Drizzt's swords. Wouldn't that be something!
    That is the first thing that Came to mind for me as well. That would be one very convoluded war machine.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    nano said:

+1 for the Discworld reference!
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @Southpaw Sand in a sock will do in a pinch... So sayeth the wise Rincewind...