Skip to content

What enemy scares you the most?

Comments

• JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Beholders with SCSII.

Mind Flayers with or without SCS. Especially Mind Flayers >.<

One Cleric is enough to fix Vampires up (but they used to scare me)
  • XanarXanar Member Posts: 96
    edited September 2013
    Kobold Commandos

@Battlehamster Sounds like you played unpatched vanilla, too. Literally dozens of kobold commandos with fire arrows in waves. That fight kicked my n00b butt for hours. I was so n00b it never occurred that it might be a bug >.<
    [Deleted User]
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    edited November 2013
    In terms of in-game encounters, I recall the first time I was faced with a Vampiric Wolf, and was not aware of the necessity of magical weapons. It was quite a time before I realized +1 weapons or better could do the trick. Until that realization Vampiric Wolves would strike fear into my gaming heart!
    Post edited by RnRClown on
  • MikeMastersMikeMasters Member Posts: 141
    the first time I picked a fight with a lich and he timestopped.....
    JediMindTrixEudaemoniumbooinyoureyes
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    RnRClown said:

In terms of in-game encounters, I recall the first time I was faced with a Dire Wolf, and was not aware of the necessity of magical weapons. It was quite a time before I realized +1 weapons or better could do the trick. Until that realization Dire Wolves would strike fear into my gaming heart!

Dire wolves are just tougher wolves. Vampiric wolves are the ones that require magic or magic weapons.
    RnRClown
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Dread Wolf too ^?
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    Nope, vampiric wolves are the only wolf type that requires magic or magic weapons.
  • JerrinJerrin Member Posts: 12
    Mellisan - my party isn't built to handle her, so I'll prolly' do a replay sometime soon with a party that is, and woop her ass in revenge.
    Any level draining monster - There's a bunch of negative energy prot. items in the game, true. Those just aren't always the ones I'm using for different reasons.

Flayers wasn't bad at all. Chaotic commands + haste on my frontliners and they went down like I was a farmer in his field with a scythe. If they swarm you, find a narrow corridor to handle them in.

Liches were easy too - False dawn from Viccy and a char equipping Daystar. At worst, it was at 'Near death', so it could be finished off with a ring of Gaxx (penetrates any and all protections).

Demiliches/Kangaxx - they plain suck, but send in a mage with Spell immunity - abjuration, and it should be very do-able if you have one or more +5 weapons, and throw in a false dawn or two as well.

Beholders - Shield of balduran (cheese, I know. But these are easy solutions to difficult problems).
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2013
    Phase Spiders.... Fastest heavy damaging POISON in BG1EE, to the point where your tank with 75 HP can get killed by 1 bite.
    Green Slimes... One hit = automatic death.
    Beholders... The Cheese!
    Demiliches/Kangaxx... The Imprisonment Spam!

By the way, I frequently play no reload games.
    Losgornbooinyoureyes
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    The idea of getting your brain eaten is scary. How do you even recover from a half-eaten brain? But my characters somehow shrug it off after a while.
    Mortianna[Deleted User]
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Effing basilisks!
    Klonoa said:

and it only takes one to make Minsc go crazy.

It doesn't take anyone to make Minsc go crazy, he got that covered long ago :p
    booinyoureyes
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    Xanar said:

Kobold Commandos

@Battlehamster Sounds like you played unpatched vanilla, too. Literally dozens of kobold commandos with fire arrows in waves. That fight kicked my n00b butt for hours. I was so n00b it never occurred that it might be a bug >.<</p>

Patched or not they still can in firewine dungeon, maybe it's related to your level.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    It's kind of a tough call for me. I ended up picking Dragons because of Firekragg and for Draconis (whatever his name is in ToB who always kicks my but.... i digress).

For me, Mind flayers are dangerous, but easily dealt with. Plus they remind me of Cthulu, so I have a warm and fuzzy for them. Vampires are a PITA with the level drain, but again they can be mitigated with the appropriate preparation (And Viccy can control them, Yay!!!). Golems are tough to damage, but it isn't like "Surprise!!! Golems" happens anywhere. Liches kind of the same. Parties are definitely a challenge, but there isn't one specific party that becomes unmanageable (except possibly Drizzt).

Yeah, dragons, for me anyway.
  • BubbleboyBubbleboy Member Posts: 68
    Litches are easy just keep summoning monster next to him until he runs out of spells.
  • cervanntescervanntes Member Posts: 64
    I admit I find mind flayers more difficult, and certainly more freaky, but if there is any critter in the series I cringe when I see coming, its the vampires, simply because the level drain is annoying and frustrating, especially when spellcasters have to have their spells re-selected. They are just more trouble than they are worth!
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Definitely dragons. Unless I take advantage of them being waiting for you to attack (which I feel is kind of cheezy), I know I'm going to be in for a rough encounter. Their spellcasting can't be interrupted, they can make your characters fly all over the place, and they deal a bunch of damage with their attacks, and with their breath weapon. Yeah, they have an easy way to beat (skull traps + rogue traps), but I feel like that's against the spirit of the game.

All the other opponents I usually have ways to get around. Liches and Mind Flayers are probably the next worst. Oh, and beholders if you don't have that shield or maze protection.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    SethDavis said:

I live in constant fear of being nommed by Boo

Only your eyes, and only if you are a bad penny. An armored deep-voice penny of most sinister evil!!

Or if you are a beholder,boo's favored enemy.
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    edited November 2013
    I can't believe demons were not on this list. There are just SOOOO many of the bastards, and almost all of them are a pain in more ways than I can count.

Basilisks? Carry a few scrolls of stone to flesh around and protection from petrification. Hell, have decent enough saving throws and you are practically invincible against them.

Beholders? Shield of Balduran... that thing is so op :| Especially if you go and get the helmet to simulacrum one of your tanky fighters equipped with it. An army of beholders becomes fodder, and if you're up against an elder orb that can imprison, send the simulacrum first.

Dragons? Mordekain's swords. They can scratch, bite, and blast them with fiery breath all day long and not get anywhere.

Mind Flayers? I've got three words for you. Gas Chamber Strategy. You send someone in there invisible, quickly open the door, throw in a cloudkill from the wand of cloudkill (Important because wands seem to bypass the Magic Resist) and then close the door. The mind flayers and umberhulks choke to death without even touching you.

Vampires? Amulet of power, Undead Hunter, Black Guard, or Limited Wish will all counter the level draining. You just have to remember a chaotic commands for the charm and you're golden.

Liches? This one is a personal favorite of mine, throw a protection from magic scroll ON the lich. It's stuck in a globe of anti-magic and can't cast a single spell at you.

Demi-Lich? Okay, that one's still tricky. You need some spell immunity abjuration, or spell trap, or shield of the archons, or protection from magic scrolls. Not to mention +4 weaponry, and the easiest of those to find is the short sword of mask at watcher's keep. Although melf's minature meteors helps a lot too.

Golems? Another personal favorite strategy of mine, THE LOWER RESISTANCE SPELL! I always kill my iron and adamantium golems with that +magic missile. I always keep a few sequencers of magic missile for just such an occasion. Crom Faeyr should also get an honorable mention for the weaker golems.

Humanoids? Armies of mages, clerics, druids, fighters, or otherwise? They can all be solved by just one little spell. Insect Plague. 5th level druid spell (or ranger/cleric) and Jaheria gets it just in time for me to take out the party in the temple district sewers (bgII)

But DEMONS?!?! A bunch of them I was never able to quite master defeating. Hell, I could lay dozens of spike traps and defeat Demogorgon. (I love to play blade bards) But there are certain demons that DO give me troubles. For example, the bane of my existence, Maraliths. Oh. My. Lord. of. Murder. I hate those damn multi-armed, snakey, big boobed, demons from... well... hell. They get way too many attacks a round, and their poison cheats... no I mean it, you can't be immune to it, it interrupts your spells, and worst of the worst, there is no way to heal it. Antidotes, elixers, neutralize poison, slow poison, absolutely nothing heals it. These demons are rare, but when there is more than one... SOMEBODY is going to die. Usually they'll take down any of my summoned monsters, and at least one party member. I spam rods of resurrection to use in the place of potions of heal, but even THEN, I lose my characters half the time.

Let's not forget to mention the demon after Durlag's Tower, the one summoned by the cultists. That death glare of his could permanently kill your buddies, exploding them and turning them into ghouls that come at you. I remember when I was first playing baldur's gate, I'd keep shooting my own allies with arrows of dispelling, just to get rid of it before they'd explode.

The Master of Thralls in the planar prison should also get an honorable mention, because I take him on so early, and those stuns are just... sooooo difficult to survive through. Keldorn is like a godsend against him thanks to his immunity to hold person... also I think this demon has some sort of fire shield? Anyways... demons man... I hate demons. Well actually, I love them because I find them the most challenging foes in this entire game series, but... oh man are they tough to fight.
    booinyoureyes
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    edited November 2013
    Monks using Quivering Palm ^_^ !!
    Why so many chose Mind Flayers? Must be their appearance and behaviour I guess, because their fragility makes them just so wonderful targets for sneak attacks!
    GemHoundbooinyoureyes
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited November 2013
    My mom ................

And shes not even my enemy :/
    booinyoureyes[Deleted User]
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Gotta be the humanoids, not many tricks a monster can pull out that compare with a full enemy "party" of mages, invisibility spamming thieves and the like, and in BG most, if not all, of the worst monster offenders have tactics and techniques that trivialise them, or plot related advantages (like a blue circle) that don't happen on the worst humanoid parties.
    [Deleted User]
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Xanar said:

Kobold Commandos

@Battlehamster Sounds like you played unpatched vanilla, too. Literally dozens of kobold commandos with fire arrows in waves. That fight kicked my n00b butt for hours. I was so n00b it never occurred that it might be a bug >.<</p>

Is that why my first memories of the Nashkel Mines are of getting my arse handed to me with my party? :P
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Elendar said:

Xanar said:

Kobold Commandos

Is that why my first memories of the Nashkel Mines are of getting my arse handed to me with my party? :P
    Kobold Commandos are definitely the bane of any low level who isn't understanding how squishy their party is. One errant fire arrow can ruin your entire day. If It doesn't kill you, it can definitely take you out of the fight quick. That is why I take so long getting to and then clearing out the Nashkal mines. Sneak, identify, destroy, repeat.

• RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    Mind flayers....... i hate Mind flayers. before i knew chaotic commands worked against psionics fighting Mind flayers gave me fits and usually involved sending hordes of summoned creatures to their death
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831

Elendar said:

Xanar said:

Kobold Commandos

Kobold Commandos are definitely the bane of any low level who isn't understanding how squishy their party is. One errant fire arrow can ruin your entire day. If It doesn't kill you, it can definitely take you out of the fight quick. That is why I take so long getting to and then clearing out the Nashkal mines. Sneak, identify, destroy, repeat.

hmm.. Maybe my first time around I went in there with a bunch of level 1s, then... but now I tend to do like every quest in the game before getting around to doing the mines :P
  • NepentheNepenthe Member Posts: 15
    While I enjoy most of the challenges, I have a special hatred towards Mind Flayers. I think Minsc's gotten his skull drained a few times too many in the past. :)
    booinyoureyes
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    All monks, since my charname is a frontline fighter he gets insta killed by monks all the time. So very annoying.