Skip to content

What enemy scares you the most?

rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
Throughout the series, which enemy chills your bones? Maybe it's because you always seem to have trouble beating them, because the first time you faced them they took you by surprise, because they're so hideous, or maybe you just have a phobia.

For me, it's the Illithid. They suck your brain out, their design is horrifying, and they're pretty hard to beat (at least for me). They just... give me the creeps.
  1. What enemy scares you the most?346 votes
    1. Undead (dead should stay dead!)
        0.29%
    2. Beholders (how do I mirror this stuff?)
      14.16%
    3. Liches (special mention)
      15.32%
    4. Vampires (level drain!)
      11.56%
    5. Golems (okay, blunt for clay, +4 for adamantium... wait...)
        3.47%
    6. Mind Flayers (remember when zombies ate brains?)
      30.35%
    7. Dragons (be prepared...)
        5.49%
    8. Orcs, ogres, goblins, hobgoblins, trollkind, etc. (cannon fodder)
        1.16%
    9. Humanoids (full parties and the will to kill)
        3.18%
    10. Other
      15.03%

Comments

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Hobgoblin elites, before you get antidotes and slow poison. One failed save vs. death and you've lost a party member.

They're not really a big, scary enemy but I've lost more party members to them than I have any dragon.
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    Vampires or Golems. Yes there are more dangerous enemies but these appear quite frequently. You can get level drained or golem slowed.

Oh...those backstabbing, constant-invis potion-using assassins are pretty damn scary. Getting hit for 40 health sucks.

Unless you're a barbarian.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Black talon elites
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Sylph said:

Basilisks, cause they always seem to pop right at the edge of my screen and petrify my char just when I realize I haven't saved in 4 hours >:(

Amen.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Redead.

Whoops, wrong game
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    edited September 2013
    spiders. especially in BG1. they're fast, if you get caught in their web traps you're screwed, strong (especially sword spiders,) their poison will murder you in seconds, and i have a slight fear of spiders in general (i usually grow a pair when i'm out and about or with a group of people but in a closed space by myself it's like getting hit with a cloak of fear w/ no save)...come to think of it one time i was on a road trip with some friends and one of them had bought a fake electronic tarantula that you could move with a controller. i fell asleep in the car and woke up during the night to something crawling on my shoulder and rubbing my cheek. after i finished screaming like mezzo soprano i proceeded to beat 9 kinds of hell out of my friend before grabbing his toy abomination with one of his spare shirts (he's kind of messy), wrapping it up and kicking it in a corner somewhere where it would never see the light of day. months later I think i grabbed it in one of his sweaters and threw it in a dumpster. f that guy. we're still good friends.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Aside from special encounters, Liches are by far the most powerful enemies I face. Unless I kill them very quickly, they become a MAJOR pain to deal with... Time Stop, Improved Alacrity, Dragon's Breath, Comet, Summon Dark Planetar... yeah, that's where the real fun starts :P
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited September 2013
    Mirror Image, Cloak of Mirroring, Stoneskin, Protection from Petrification and Improved Invisibility...

Through ALL that... Petrified in seconds.

Damn Beholders...

Probably the worst part of the challenges you get thrown at Hell is that room of Beholders...
  • dac0152dac0152 Member Posts: 54
    Kaltzor said:

Probably the worst part of the challenges you get thrown at Hell is that room of Beholders...

Buy the Shield of Balduran once and you'll never be able to do without it again.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    edited September 2013
    I almost put both spiders and Umber Hulks on this list, but I didn't want to have a HUGE list :( Sorry

And I totally sympathize with the Hobgoblin Elites. Poison at level 1 is a death sentence.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Wow, I'm surprised so many people hate mind flayers. I found them relatively easy in my first BG 2 run.

Beholders on the other hand...
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    You're surprised that people hate THIS??

hehe
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I voted for dragons just because of how wildly the breath weapon can vary in damage. Sometimes Firkraag just takes a decent chunk out of party HP. Sometimes he kills everybody in one blast. Unless you're juicing up with a lot of fire resistance, it's a gamble. Also, wing buffets, stoneskin recasts, and Heal have managed to completely reset a few fights with Adalon and Firkraag. Going back to square one when all the tanks are at 50% HP is disheartening to say the least.

Demogorgon.

And for good reason!

4th Edition promo materials?! Blasphemer! /sarcasm
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    I'm surprised that beholders have so many votes. All you have to do is buy the beholder shield and they basically kill themselves after that. The only real problem that remains is if they petrify another party member that you're in a romance with, and then you have to reload or lose the romance.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    edited September 2013
    Vampiric Mists

Put the most annoying on-hit debuff in any game ever on a monster that can turn invisible at will.

LOL K
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Beholders are ridiculously annoying unless you resort to Cloak of Mirroring/Shield of Balduran cheese.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Carp, elephants, and nobles. Oh, and cats.

Beholders make me go "Ohh, [REDACTED]." like Groove Champion did in Interstate '76. When one gets the odd morale failure, I like to shout, "RUN. ****ING RUN! I WILL END YOU!" at my computer screen.
    Oh, and mind flayers. Screw those things. Scary-lookin' tadpole-brains.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Beholders are just too dangerous and scary. If you meet one unprepared and don't have the cheesy Shield of Balduran, it can kill you in ten different ways in a blink. Also, that anti-magic ray is so unfair. In PnPit would block your spell casting but also prevent beholder's rays harming you too, since they are magical too. Not in bg, a beholder can strip your buffs via antimagic ray, prevent your spellcasting, and then kill you at its leisure.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I wouldn't say scare, but highly agitating. I dislike vampires and their level draining.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    For me it's a tough call between mind flayers and vampires. Playing vanilla bg made me loath both and not being a powergamer in any way they gave me a lot of trouble. I do tend to carry a lot of restoration spells in my inventory.

Liches and demorgorgon both get some attention here too as they take some serious planning too.

And last but not least: noober