Skip to content

Adult 2ndEd RPG

LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
A lot of the content of a game like Baldur's Gate has to have the profanity, subject matter, sexual content, and violence kept in check. That's as it should be, but there is a market for old people (like me: 41) who would pay to play a traditional RPG without the kids in mind. Not overly done, pointless debauchery and lewdness, but definitely not shy about expanding upon the life of an all grown up adventurer. Obviously I don't feel comfortable elaborating on the details in this forum but I have not seen an adult DnD RPG video game in my lifetime and I would pay top dollar to play one. Provided of course the game is GOOD. I don't want some dumb game thrown together and covered up with adult content.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    sorry for interupting, but I would deem DA taking on some quite adult themes, especially DAO. But somehow the package felt shallow, I didn't care for the subjects at hand, and ended up enjoying the smite the evil dragon more, than the obvious serious side disscussion about ophany, poverty, racial discrimination, etc.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Shandyr said:

May I ask your opinion on Dragon Age in that regard?

Is it more like an adult game in comparison to the DnD games, or is it still lacking a lot of adult themes?

DA is edgier than a Skyrm or the Conan MMORPG but not quite what I had in mind. I insist on it having 2nd Edition rules, which is why this is just a conversation thread and not something that I see as a realistic endeavor. Isn't 2nd Ed owned by Disney now? Yeah...that wont ever happen.

This is going to sound very picky, but how about a well made game like BG or Torment, with that unmistakable epic feel and those old school rules. The game engine doesn't matter all that much but I do not like the herding feel that some games have. Sometimes in DA I felt herded into a set path, when I'd rather just go where I want whenever I feel like it. Most of all, maybe some adult time as a quest reward for saving that dryads tree? Cut back on the lost cat over the waterfall quests and amp up the drunken brawls. Maybe even get involved with drug dealers? Game of Thrones meets Grand Theft Auto with an epic infinity engine? Something like that I guess. :)
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    Lateralus said:

Shandyr said:

May I ask your opinion on Dragon Age in that regard?

Is it more like an adult game in comparison to the DnD games, or is it still lacking a lot of adult themes?

DA is edgier than a Skyrm or the Conan MMORPG but not quite what I had in mind. I insist on it having 2nd Edition rules, which is why this is just a conversation thread and not something that I see as a realistic endeavor. Isn't 2nd Ed owned by Disney now? Yeah...that wont ever happen.

This is going to sound very picky, but how about a well made game like BG or Torment, with that unmistakable epic feel and those old school rules. The game engine doesn't matter all that much but I do not like the herding feel that some games have. Sometimes in DA I felt herded into a set path, when I'd rather just go where I want whenever I feel like it. Most of all, maybe some adult time as a quest reward for saving that dryads tree? Cut back on the lost cat over the waterfall quests and amp up the drunken brawls. Maybe even get involved with drug dealers? Game of Thrones meets Grand Theft Auto with an epic infinity engine? Something like that I guess. :)

This idea have a Kickstarter potential, it could be a second project for either Overhaul or the people around Project Eternity......

OR

Overhaul would join forces with Obsidian Studios and make the Fear and Loathing in Forgotten Realms together :)
  • Hm... perhaps a mature rated BG:EE/BG2:EE DLC?
    Of course purchasable and activatable only with proof of age (identity card, passport or driver's license).
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

@Lateralus

I've enjoyed several mature and/or adult community mods made for NWN1 and NWN2. They are free, but obviously you still need to buy NWN1 or NWN2 if you do not own them already.

My personal favourite is this series of three modules for NWN1:

Enigma Island

because it contains mature themes and some violence, but it is not overdone IMO, and besides it has a very well written plot and it is technically a masterpiece (e.g. best implementation ever of mountable horses in NWN1).
    @Erg I can not even look at the NWN engine again. I played it out. I used to love downloading those converted PnP modules. Some of them were very well done and as good or better than any of the original NWN content. The S 1-3 series beginng with the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh was very good.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I'll just leave this here, and crawl slowly away to properly contemplate pomegranate seeds
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Sex_(DnD_Variant_Rule)
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    There's a followup of sorts to Planescape: Torment in development at the moment. It's called Torment: Tides of Numenera and could be promising. It's not 2nd Edition, but it has potential to deliver a more "adult" experience i.e. morally complex, ambiguous, lesser-of-two-evils choices, naunced characters etc. Like PS:T did.

I hope it's good.

It would be encouraging to see grittier elements to RPGs. A docks district tavern in Baldur's Gate should be full of drunks, brawls and criminals preying on the vices of others. Something along the lines of the Gem Saloon from Deadwood, relocated to the Sword Coast.
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 108
    @Lateralus I would think The Witcher would be close to what you want. I've just started playing it, but so far it has to be the most adult themed game I've played. (Other than the ending, I don't really remember Dragon Age: Origins being that adult-themed... did I miss something?)
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited September 2013
    I think the main way they tried to make DA:O adult and gritty was to just splash loads of blood on everything. Starting up the game you get the Bioware logo being splashed in blood, the initial Dragon Age screen (that you see before you press start, at least on PS3) had a splash of blood. I think there is blood on the next screen as well (the one with Start New Game, Load Game, etc.). When you travel on the world map your path is traced in blood. After every battle your characters are splattered head to toe with blood. Etc, etc.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I turned off the blood splatter in DAO. I just found it distracting.
    I admit that I actually liked the blood and gore and especially the blood art with the logo. Very cool stuff.

Anyways, it's a tough thing to make a game that doesn't target the core of the gamer market (10-15 year olds).
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited September 2013
    Lateralus said:

Anyways, it's a tough thing to make a game that doesn't target the core of the gamer market (10-15 year olds).

That isn't the core demographic though, at least not anymore. Check out this page. The average gamer is 30 years old, and 68% of gamers are 18+.
    TJ_Hooker said:

Lateralus said:

That isn't the core demographic though, at least not anymore. Check out this page. The average gamer is 30 years old, and 68% of gamers are 18+.
    Eye opener.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I think the real problem would be to find balance between maturity and vulgarity.
    mlnevese said:

I think the real problem would be to find balance between maturity and vulgarity.

When I DMed PnP I pretty much always allowed for diplomacy, unless it's a 0 INT giant spider or something. Most of the time players would hack and slash their way through a problem, but the option was there. When things do go to hell, I don't mind the violence.

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    TJ_Hooker said:

Lateralus said:

That doesn't make them the core demographic, though. Oldies will play games made for younglings, but younglings wouldn't enjoy as much a game where that thing called maturity keep getting in the way of his gore-soaked action and sexy fanservice.

So, games still get aimed at teenagers, because that's what gives the biggest reward.

Or, I guess, it could be that even oldie gamers are just an exceptionally immature group of people and aiming games at them makes for very similar results as aiming them at a 14-year-old crowd :P
    Tons of people 30 and over play and enjoy Baldur's Gate but let's face it, it's pretty much a 10 year olds game.
    Lateralus said:

Tons of people 30 and over play and enjoy Baldur's Gate but let's face it, it's pretty much a 10 year olds game.

In terms of content you're right. But the mechanics of BG are too complicated for most 10 year olds.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    i've always wanted a D&D game/campaign themed around Sin City. I've never read the comics but i liked the film. i think that kind of atmosphere would be perfect for an adult themed RPG.
    replace the cannons w/ one handed crossbows and we'd be good to go =)
    Awong124 said:

Lateralus said:

In terms of content you're right. But the mechanics of BG are too complicated for most 10 year olds.
    Most? I would imagine that only special cases would be unable to comprehend the game mechanics at a fundamental level. Geeks over complicate things and dissect the numbers until every possibility has been exhausted.

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    mlnevese said:

Ah you bring up the "Miley Cyrus" dilemma

Lateralus said:

Awong124 said:

Lateralus said:

Most? I would imagine that only special cases would be unable to comprehend the game mechanics at a fundamental level. Geeks over complicate things and dissect the numbers until every possibility has been exhausted.

Of course most 10 year olds can just equip weapons and armor and send the guy to attack enemies, but they probably wouldn't be very successful. Having a deeper understanding of the nuances of the mechanics makes the game much easier and more enjoyable.

mlnevese said:

i know i'm going to regret asking this, but what's wrong with Miley Cyrus?

Thread is spinning out of control.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

mlnevese said:

i know i'm going to regret asking this, but what's wrong with Miley Cyrus?

She pushed the line between maturity and vulgarity. She wanted to be perceived as more mature but many people thought she was vulgar.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    On Miley Cyrus: go away, lady, dancing in your underwear and sticking your butt at people does not make you look mature. I stopped doing this at 4 years old.

Back on topic: this thread can only end badly. If you ask for a mature game, even with good intentions, your going to get vulgarity. This thread can only turn into pervs asking fur nude Vicky romance videos, even if you mean well. No of offense to anyone, but Adult and Video game do not mix well, what with today's culture and all, unfortunately.
    on Miley: sounds like every other pop singer that goes through the coming of age process. it happens.

on topic: maybe in a few thousand years when our race has evolved some more and can handle mature content without having to slap rule 34 on everything that moves, then we can get some adult themed rpgs, but until then,
    Awong124 said:

Lateralus said:

Awong124 said:

Lateralus said:

Of course most 10 year olds can just equip weapons and armor and send the guy to attack enemies, but they probably wouldn't be very successful. Having a deeper understanding of the nuances of the mechanics makes the game much easier and more enjoyable.
    I was 10 when i started playing vanilla bg and did exactly that. it took me a while to figure it out. BG has a heck of a learning curve O.o