Skip to content

DRM

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    For your modding questions:
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. You can install the game on as many different computers as many different times as you like. You just have to validate each installation with the server when you install it.

For the other questions, you can lend the game to a friend if you install it on their computer. Unfortunately, just like any digital media, you might have problems exchanging or returning it, and you certainly can't resell something that exists as a digital copy.
  • SylonceSylonce Member Posts: 65
    Tanthalas said:

@salomonkane

You can install the game as many times as you want but I'm not sure if for every multiple installation on the same computer if you need to activate each installation.

Can someone verify the activation per each installation part? It's something worth knowing.
  • salomonkanesalomonkane Member Posts: 48
    edited August 2012
    Edit

Just to say i've edited/P.S., my previous post , it's concerning gamers point of view/multi reinstall ...

TY .
    edited August 2012
    Edit
    Modding questions & DRM :
    Multiple installations & DRM ?
    For Modders .
    For Gamers ? :

Because of this :
    Gamers need to install & reinstall multiple installations to play & try differents style of mods .
    Then,
    Gamers can they install, desinstall and reinstall, successively, several versions of the games from the DRM client ... ?
    Free ?
    And unconstrained as permitted vanilla version ?

TY .
    edited August 2012
    Yes.

You may or may not need to validate each of those installations (it hasn't been confirmed yet), but there is no limit to the number of installations you can make.
  • vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    Aosaw, I was glad to see a vigorous anti-piracy post (your previous one). I was beginning to think that Tanthalas and I were all alone on this!

I think that some obstacles have to be overcome with digital distribution in order to truly make it mainstream and reasonable for those anti-DRM folks. They need to work on finding a way to create a secondary market that's profitable and legal. I believe Gamestop is working on some sort of license key exchange or something. Even in the discussions here in the Steam thread, it does appear that there's a lot of people who want the convenience of a game "locker" type solution which doesn't impact their ability to play the games they want. I don't think it's realistic to believe that everyone's going to be happy with that since the physical box folks refuse to accept any restrictions at all, but it's important to note that a digital service doesn't have to authenticate each game in order to still serve the need that consumers want. In other words, just because you have a digital distribution service, that does not necessarily mean that you have to have DRM. Onlive, Gaikai (or whatever it is) and browser streaming all use digital distribution tech to serve up games but don't necessarily have to operate like DRM. In a good marketplace for this type of platform, undoubtedly, there would be some services which provide DRM for the titles hosted there, and others would not. Still, if your position is that requiring an internet connection to play the games you bought is a form of DRM, you're going to be out of luck. I just don't see how that position could be justified if it's a GoG-like service combined with Steam. The side benefit to all of this is that hopefully, prices get pushed downward and there's a robust secondary market for games such that the titles can be transferred from one person to another. That would probably take cooperation in the industry for standards, protocols, procedures, and safety precautions to allow it to happen legally, and protections so that it's not gamed. I think all of these things are possible and would probably render the known forms of DRM obselete.
  • JalisterJalister Member Posts: 146
    A service like Onlive is DRM at its lowest. If they shut down, you have nothing. If Steam shuts down, you at least have the games you downloaded and a chance to patch those into useable games again. Someone commented that DRM does not stop piracy but does manage to stop used game sales. That is the reason I have believed for a while now that DRM exists. It's hard to believe that all these companies are blind to all the 0 day cracks that are released, so there has to be another reason. At least I want to believe there is another reason, since believing DRM works is ridiculous.

I dread the day that Steam goes away, which is why it was years before I ever got anything on Steam. Left 4 Dead was my first Steam game. I figured it was an online multiplayer game, and Steam has grown into a monster over the years, so I took the risk. I do have more games on Steam now, but those are other online multiplayer games, games I received through the DRM free Humble Bundles, or games I bought at those great 75% and 80% off sales.

I don't mind CD keys, CD checks, or even license files like some apps use. All those leave the control on me, and I never have to rely on a service or server being available. For those that like the convenience of some third party keeping their stuff, learn what one of the top rules of having a computer is, backup.

I can't remember the game right now, but I remember reading a review of a game. It was withinn the last 2 years I think. They reviewer was not able to receive the usual courtesy copy from the publisher, so they had to buy it themself. He bought it on release day, then brought it to the office and installed it. He then proceeded to spend a few hours trying to get the game's DRM working so he could play it. About that time his friend called him and asked him what he thought about the game. After explaining that he hadn't played yet because he was still trying to get it to work, his friend laughed and said he had downloaded a pirated copy of it hours ago, and has been playing it for hours without any problems.

I get that this DRM is about as minimal as it gets, but its still what it is. I buy my games, or I don't play them (please let Bioshock show up on GOG). I always buy my games new because I prefer new, and I prefer my money goes to the creators and not the stores. I never sell my games because I got them because I knew I would like them, and I know I will want to play again some day.

• TreyolenTreyolen Member Posts: 235
    I think the piracy talk and the morality discussions have clouded the issue. A simple way of stating it is this: There are enough non-DRM games I can purchase to keep me occupied for the rest of my life. I want this game because of the nostalgia and the pre-existing foundation of great gaming it offers. But if DRM continues to be part of the equation I will be more inclined to pass on this purchase at every release. Eventually I will abandon what has the potential to be a wonderful experience.

I think enough people like me will simply move on to a non-DRM game to make a difference to the bottom line if DRM continues. Regardless of morality or piracy or rights, this issue has the potential to cause the project to fail. I would like to see that be avoided.
    Another thought just occurred to me: this hysteria about servers shutting down and not being available genuinely seems to be a semi-serious concern for some people. So, I wonder if the same people don't feel nervous everyday that their lights will go out because their power company goes out of business. Why don't these same folks simply invest their money to generate their own energy? Then they never have to pay a power company again and have total control over their electrical needs. Do these same people specifically look for a house with a well to guarantee they have running water in order to avoid some potential interruption in the future? Do they grow their own food? I guess that I'm getting at is that this is not a unique problem and it seems that some folks are applying a different standard to a video game when in reality, much more serious problems could occur if you're not following the same philosophy. It would certainly be a bigger deal if your power went out or you lost your running water (people I know had a bad experience with a utility company years ago and lost electricity and water service for an entire week straight). It seems a bit too much concern compared to these very real possibilities and obviously, I'm looking for consistency in the arguments. This is not meant to ridicule but to illustrate a broader point about dependency on others for your needs, enjoyment, etc. Ironically, we're only talking about a $20 expenditure here, vs. being able to feed your family.
    @Vortican That is the strangest argument I've heard yet. You're comparing regulated industries serving markets that must be served if not for massive profit than for national security reasons to a piece of IP locked down by copyright. Let me put your mind at ease. If your local power company goes out of business at least six more businesses will fight for the right to service that territory. The same would apply to the water company. If Beamdog goes out of business, someone will still retain the rights to the IP and will happily sue anyone they think they can prove damages against for infringement. This isn't even close to the same thing.

Are you really comparing basic human services to a video game?
    I think some people living any time before the 1800s would disagree with your definition of "basic". ;)
    @Aosaw People living before the 1800s would disagree with almost everything we take for granted as basic human rights. What does that have to do with a discussion about video games? This discussion is getting further and further off topic. Would the game be more or less profitable without DRM? We can argue 1800s politics and human condition all we want. It has no bearing on the topic at hand.

My side thinks the game would be more profitable without DRM. I'm not a historian so I don't know if Abraham Lincoln would agree or not. I also don't care.
  • JalisterJalister Member Posts: 146
    Treyolen said:

I think enough people like me will simply move on to a non-DRM game to make a difference to the bottom line if DRM continues.

I'm not saying if this is better or worse than BG:EE, but Inquisitor is up for pre-order on GOG now. DRM free, lots of extras, and 20% off for pre-orders. The excitement seems high for it.

I don't mean to advertise, I just wanted to give an immediate example of choice. Both are isometric, party based RPGs. Between them we have DRM vs DRM-free, 10% off vs 20% off, no extras vs a lot of extras. I know where my dollars are going. Also, I never played the other game before, so the story will be fresh. With the exception of the new content, I've played BG and IWD many times.

Even with the differences between them, the only thing keeping me from also pre-ordering BG:EE is the DRM. I would like to see BG:EE succeed because I would like to see more releases.

It's really time publishers stop keeping score with "sale / lost sale to piracy". They should try tracking "sale / lost sale to piracy / lost sale for DRM / lost sale for poor game". From all the forums I read, I would think Ubisoft would have a very high score for lost sale for DRM.

• SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    edited August 2012
    vortican said:

Another thought just occurred to me: this hysteria about servers shutting down and not being available genuinely seems to be a semi-serious concern for some people.

This entire paragraph is a glaringly classic example of using a straw man to argue your side. You don't address the issue of server shutdowns at all. Instead you pursue this, quite frankly, ridiculous tangent about electricity and water (the straw man) under the guise of "illustrating a broader point," while expecting the audience not to notice that it is not related, nor equivalent, to the original issue. Your "illustration" is nonsense w/ respect to the server issue, please form a more cogent argument; but read up on logical fallacies in debate.

Please excuse the tone, but I find the wording of your argument extremely condescending.

@Treyolen is correct. There is no need to worry about power company failures, unless the entire electrical infrastructure is coming down. Where one fails, 10 others will step in to fight for the territory. Such might not be the case when talking about a gaming company's servers.
    Post edited by Smaug on
    The comparison may seem silly to you, Smaug, but the principle is the same. The argument against this type of DRM is that because it requires a server authentication, the users' ability use of the game may be interrupted in case those servers go down. While I understand this is a possibility, it is equally a possibility that a users' ability to use the game may also be interrupted by a power or computer hardware failure. It's unfortunate that you took such a hostile tone towards the comparison in what has been otherwise a respectful and frank discussion. As for other services taking up the market, do you not know that IPs get passed around all the time by companies? I was merely musing about people who are so concerned about a hypothetical, highly unlikely scenario in which the servers go down, Beamdog doesn't release a patch, and then... WHATEVER WILL WE DO?! Kind of like the power going out for an hour and OH NOES! WE CAN'T INSTALL BALDURS GATE! I did not misrepresent anyone's position. I merely compared it to another similar scenario and proposed a question as to how they are different. There is no need to lecture and accuse someone of deliberately trying to obscure the argument. I think I've proven my positive intentions in this thread to everyone. Try not looking for deception where there is none.
    edited August 2012
    @vortican That is the point of the straw man argument, the comparison presents the illusion that the 2 items are equivalent. In reality, they are nothing alike. This comparison is the supposed strength of the straw man; however the two items are completely disparate.

I took such a tone, because like I said, I find your comparison condescending, as someone who sides with those who worry about server shutdowns. Your argument seeks to invalidate these concerns by resorting to basic logical fallacies that are as old as debate itself.
    Post edited by Smaug on
  • ReekwindReekwind Member Posts: 33
    I think we should put it to a vote. How about a forum poll asking "Will the lifetime, server-based, activation-at-installation DRM stop you from buying Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition?" with "Yes", "Maybe" and "No" answers.
    And on that note, I'm withdrawing from this discussion. As @Treyolen pointed out, it's flown off-topic so many times and gone around in circles so many times that I don't see anything new coming out of it.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    The poll has been closed.

We already have a discussion for DRM and I see no reason to let it spread.
    Tanthalas said:

We already have a discussion for DRM and I see no reason to let it spread.

At 7.1K views and rising on this thread, I'd say it's spreading on its own.

By closing the poll, you just deprived the company of vital marketing data.

And if the lion's share of poll participants had said the DRM didn't concern them, your point about the DRM being inconsequential would have been proven.

Oh well.
    It's less about marketing data, and more about the fact that the poll you posted was clearly biased against DRM, and seeking to start up another discussion on the same topic. Since the topic is kind of a volatile one to begin with (cf. this thread), raising the same debate in another forum could be considered, at best, double-posting, and at worst, trolling.
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    Our DRM is pretty lightweight. You log in once on a computer it is golden. We don;t have a hard limit for numbers of activations, but we do keep an eye on the stats.
    We're going to launch with that DRM. The beta testers have been using it with the Beamdog client without issue. When we roll the updater (which better be damn soon) we'll roll everyone over to that and it is even a lighter touch
    -Trent
    Thanks Trent. I have nothing but the greatest respect for what you're doing. As you can see, though, there's a real concern about the DRM among fans.

I don't think there are too many doubts the DRM will work on day one. The concerns seem to be:

1) Activation server checks could mean much shorter longevity of a game copy than the original Bioware releases
    2) Changeable DRM terms (e.g., at some point in the future, it changes to a 3-machine-activation limit)
    3) Broad user acceptance of this lighter weight DRM possibly leading to heavier DRM in future releases (BG2:EE, IWD:EE, or whatever else may come)
    Reekwind said:

1) Activation server checks could mean much shorter longevity of a game copy than the original Bioware releases

This is what kept me on the fence for a while. However, I've since pre-purchased and am willing to give Trent the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his proposed patching of the game in the event of a permanent server shutdown. I think the BGEE team is in touch w/ their fanbase and realizes this is a touchy topic, since people are still playing the original over a decade later.

Reekwind said:

Thanks Trent. I have nothing but the greatest respect for what you're doing. As you can see, though, there's a real concern about the DRM among fans.

I don't think there are too many doubts the DRM will work on day one. The concerns seem to be:

2) Changeable DRM terms (e.g., at some point in the future, it changes to a 3-machine-activation limit)
    3) Broad user acceptance of this lighter weight DRM possibly leading to heavier DRM in future releases (BG2:EE, IWD:EE, or whatever else may come)

Nice to see the developer respond in person to this discussion. That's the sign of an engaged business.

I still see no reason to believe that the longevity of this title will affected to any measurable degree. There is always the possibility that the DRM would be changed but there is also the possibility that it would be completely removed. Heck, if the thing is pirated a lot, I would expect (and I'd think the business involved in producing it would hope) that the DRM would be changed to prevent that. Lastly, I doubt that broad acceptance would lead to heavier DRM. Likely the most pirated software in the world (Windows) has had pretty much the same DRM model since it was introduced. If there ever was an incentive to make stronger DRM, that's it and it hasn't been done. Paranoid companies like UBI continue to devise stronger and stronger DRM and are becoming less less relevant and popular. Smaller companies like Beamdog can't do that, or their (currently) limited fanbase will abandon them.
    edited September 2012
    Original Game Modified

a) After having used element of language, evaded concrete answers to questions posed :

"I'm not sure if for every multiple installation on the same computer if you need to activate each installation. "
    "You may or may not need to validate each of those installations (it hasn't been confirmed yet)",

b) And, blaming ... :

"raising the same debate in another forum could be considered, at best, double-posting, and at worst, trolling. "

BTW,

So strange as I had already anticipated this :

With, this :

"Can not find it's a shame that we are referred to us : players, a sense of guilt over our destestation of
    DRM ? While for some of us we have multiple copies (ie, licenses) of this game ?"

c) You are reduced to censorship :

"The poll has been closed."

Is not it a bit pathetic ?

But it is true that we could read your business plan as an open book, a storybook :

The goose that lays the golden eggs,
    Or, One vision of the Infinity Engine Games Licence Fees ?

In my opinion you can resurrect Black Isle from the ashes if you want, but where is ? :

The epic Baldur's Gates Saga breath without the spirit of yesteryear :

-" By gamers for gamers !" Attitude ?

Remains to thank your predecessors, sharing with the community :
    (Which is decidedly invests all its full),
    Some vestiges of the past (old tools, old full 3d models ), for historic and modding purposes :
    See :
    Tool of the Past
    Full 3D Model of the Past

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/53318/#Comment_53318,
    Unless it also (like new graphics or new quests, and new tools, things that we do not have in your cover) you want to let as unanswered . . . ?

By cons regarding the DRM, for myself and for my close, I can not support any system of control on our leisure, here and now or tomorrow,
    So, I think I'll boycott the version of BGEE with DRM,

Because :

-If I want of course : an Enhanced Version I do not want one OGM, Original Game Modified ; ) .

T.Y.
    Post edited by salomonkane on
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited September 2012
    @salomonkane

a) After having used element of language, evaded concrete answers to questions posed :

"I'm not sure if for every multiple installation on the same computer if you need to activate each installation. "

If I don't know the concrete answer and mention it in my response how is that evading?

BTW,

So strange as I had already anticipated this :

With, this :

"Can not find it's a shame that we are referred to us : players, a sense of guilt over our destestation of
    DRM ? While for some of us we have multiple copies (ie, licenses) of this game ?"

I never had much love for people trying to play the victim.

c) You are reduced to censorship :

"The poll has been closed."

Is not it a bit pathetic ?

Sorry, but the only thing that poll would bring us is another topic for people to repeat the same arguments ad nauseum. If there really was censorship going on in the board this topic would have been deleted weeks ago.
    Tanthalas said:

Sorry, but the only thing that poll would bring us is another topic for people to repeat the same arguments ad nauseum. If there really was censorship going on in the board this topic would have been deleted weeksmonths ago.

Fixed that for you. ;)
    @Tanthalas :

"The topic is closed unless someone from Overhaul decides otherwise."

"If I do not know the concrete answer and mention it in my response Evading Is that how?"

Exactly, I thought you were much more ready to take to take this kind of initiative :

[The poll has been closed.],

To get answers (in the moment / pending responses), on this subject :

"Gamers/Modders can they install, desinstall and reinstall, successively, several versions of the games from the DRM client ... ?
    Free ?
    And unconstrained as permitted vanilla version ?"

It 's quite paradoxical,

Or,

Quite instructive, indeed ... :)

Because in fact you seem,
    Certainly more inclined to protect the interests of the hoster of this site, rather than the rights of the
    community, and we need to know this, and demonstrate your lack of impartiality : here, seems proven.

P.S. :
    About your value judgment,
    Which I think is beyond your functions (and of course, in these circumstances, does not affect us),
    "I never had much love for people trying to play the victim."
    I wonder if the victim is not you ... finally ? .