Skip to content

DRM

Comments

• KyonKyon Member Posts: 128
    Patches also will have seperate file . It's not a problem . Everyone will backup patch files . And this is also different thing . I think my money wasted with DRM . Because I bought it :S
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Arundor

I like how you completely ignored the part where I said:
    Tanthalas said:

The worse part of this kind of logic is that the game will have updates that will require you to connect to the internet to download them but you're complaining about activating the game after installing. /sigh

You're just being petty.

@kyon

So you think patches will never disappear but on the other hand its possible that you'll never be able to install the game again?
    I have only connection in my workplace and I haven't internet with my gaming rig . I said that already . This explains everything I think . If Overhaul games really care us not wait to bankruptcy or another thing . They will release a DRM-free version after xxx.xxx.xxx sales . This make more sense . Also this game already too old .
  • SylonceSylonce Member Posts: 65
    Well, I'll still take it, since at least it isn't over-the-top like some of the stuff we see from major publishers. To be honest, initial activation is a bit of a pain, not so much because of the process itself but because, ultimately, it still requires the game to dial home if you ever want to reinstall or install on a different machine. While I am willing to accept Beamdog's policy on this, I do want to make a couple propositions:

1) If this form of DRM is in fact going to be in the final product, as a customer, I want to see a written promise from Beamdog, posted readily available for people to see, that in the event of company closure, that they will in fact patch the game as to strip the DRM if that were to occur. Please? :)

2) Alternatively, consider stripping this kind of DRM all together. Baldur's Gate is an old game. It is 14 years old. While there are undoubtedly new content and improvements on this, it remains that the original game did not have DRM hassles, and that the original can be obtained from places like gog.com without DRM. I think most honest customers would prefer a policy of "you buy it, you own it." Yes, I understand the current system is light, but to put this into perspective:

-The DRM system, as light as it is, will not deter pirates from obtaining the game free if they so wish to do so.
    -The DRM system, also as light as it is, has also closed it's doors on some potential customers based on what I am reading above, or that some customers are grudgingly accepting it.

Therefore, while I and many others can tolerate this, I do beg Beamdog to take a second look into this issue and respond reasonably.

• rosestormrosestorm Member Posts: 23
    Kyon said:

I have only connection in my workplace and I haven't internet with my gaming rig . I said that already . This explains everything I think . If Overhaul games really care us not wait to bankruptcy or another thing . They will release a DRM-free version after xxx.xxx.xxx sales . This make more sense . Also this game already too old .

If you only have internet where you work and are planning on downloading it there, why not just take the extra five seconds to activate it too? Also of course it needs the internet to download patches, they aren't just going to appear out of the either.
    I planning download it in my computer in the workplace . Also I said patch files already backupable easily . You will make a cheksums check before patch . And after make another check . Yeah you will see what files changed and you will backup them . All work is done ;)
    @roasestorm

I'm sure he means that he'll be able to download them from one computer and then transfer them to another. Not sure how that will work without the updater though.
    This is the main problem . Updater needs activation :S
  • technophobetechnophobe Member Posts: 68
    I'n not calling anyone a liar, but if Beamdog were to face some kind of calamity where they knew their servers would be going down, it's more than likely they wouldn't retain the legal authority to release any kind of patch to remove authentication. Considering how little leeway their masters have given them about what they can change in the game itself, I find it disingenuous to claim this issue would be no problem.
    edited July 2012
    @technophobe

Yes, lets just assume that they're liars. /sigh

You do know that the GOG version of BG (that their "masters" also own) doesn't have any DRM right?
    Post edited by Tanthalas on
    I mailed for a refund . This DRM not acceptable for me .
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    I personally find this DRM very user-friendly and non-invasive. It validates your download once and then it's gone: you can play offline.

@Kyon - are you 100% sure you can't move your PC to your working place, or to a friend's place, for the validation? It would most likely only take a few seconds. You could probably even do with a monouse WiFi pendrive.
  • nizhidrhamannitnizhidrhamannit Member Posts: 31
    Well I been playing BG1+TotSC BG2+ToB since the first time they surfaced, and with all those mods I tried in FULL BGT playthroughs could say I been playin' it for "possitively ages" (like Nalia says at some point in the game), I'm a sucker for these games, love them, BUT I absolutely HATE it when things are forced on me like on-line clients and the like...
    I WILL NOT BUY a drm/whatever BG EE, and I am not ashamed to admit that if that will be the case with the final product I will go along the good olde pirate way...
    Ahoy there, land ho...
    Besides, I think it has been made perfectly clear already that no client is being forced on anyone. BG:EE will not require the Beamdog client to run and can be played offline. It just needs to be validated once and that's all. There are far more heavy-handed DRMs out there.
    Amigo please bear with me... try to understand my point, I have already bought the original products all 4 boxes, and paid my good money to INTERPLAY great game makers that respected me as a customer, BY GAMERS FOR GAMERS like those guys used to say. I am very happy that I did so and I would happily spend my hard earned shekel in a similar case, but with drm that is not the case, on the contrary some suits in high places DECIDE for me and think that i will play along, well think again...
    edited July 2012
    For me to understand your point, you would have to explain it. How does a simple one time validation qualify as "some suits in high places" who decide for you? They decide what, exactly? Some form of DRM must be implemented in BG:EE because of the contract - basically, Beamdog would have never been given the possibility to work on BG:EE and release it if they hadn't accepted to implement some form of DRM. They chose the lighter form of DRM in a modern game to date: a one time validation that lets you play offline afterward, for as many times as you want. They dumped their client. There is nothing more than this they could legally make to render the DRM less invasive.
  • GalenGalen Member Posts: 11
    Assuming you don't take nostalgia into account, the substantially less draconian DRM of Baldur's Gate EE is one of the main reasons I shelled out my money within hours of the pre-order being available. Kudos to you, beamdog!
    Ok you got me there, I admit it I'm cheap, I'd rather be cheap than be a sheep...
  • rosestormrosestorm Member Posts: 23
    I can't think of any program or game that you can buy nowadays that doesn't require an online activation, even Microsoft Office if you buy the disk form has you activate the cd key online after you've installed it, this is no worse. So essentially your complaining about the most basic drm there is that is present in about 90% of all pc software released and that may be a conservative estimate; it may be much higher and I suspect that it is probably closer to 95%.
  • SylonceSylonce Member Posts: 65
    I can. Games from Gog.com and CDProjektd red. . Everything there is "you buy it, you own it." And... they are ridiculously successful. Just because something is common place doesn't mean it isn't a pain in the arse and should be accepted readily so in different shapes and sizes. Not to be blunt or anything, but if you were given the choice of DRM vs. no DRM, which would you choose?

Ok you got me there, I admit it I'm cheap, I'd rather be cheap than be a sheep...

You're not just cheap, you're a hypocrite.
    edited July 2012
    I would choose no DRM.

However, it is unfortunately not possible to own a DRM-free version of BG:EE. Since the DRM on BG:EE is very light and I really want to play the game, purchasing it is a no-brainer for me. It's fine if you find DRM a deal-breaker regardless of its heavyness, but it really does not justify pirating the game. The devs have spent countless hours of work on it, and they need to make a living out of it. How would you like it if your boss didn't pay you for your work, or your customers didn't pay you for your product?
    @Sylonce

Yes, no DRM is the better choice for the customer. But the existence of DRM on a game doesn't give anyone the moral high ground to go ahead and pirate it.
    Now that I think of it cheap is this whole DLC concept with modern games. Come on now, BG(t) was loved by all of us hard core fans because it was open from the very beginning, with IE being the most open to non programmers game engine of all times, that's what made it so moddable, and kept it alive and kickin' all these years.
    So why would anyone give more money for a NEW official NPC+items DLC when there are more than enough FREE mods, some very well made...
    Mark my words DRM & DLC will ruin the whole fun dissappoint old BG fan community and make us stick to the OLD ORIGINAL games...
    oh and tanthalas, i may be a hypocrite but you amigo seem to be a wee bit humorless, crack a smile my friend life is short...
    @nizhidrhamannit

Sure buddy, I bet you think you're the first guy that has tried to bail-out from his comments by going "Why so serious?".
    Nah, no bail-out for me, I stick to my arguments, and I see no real counter arguments for that matter.
    But that doesn't mean that I can't laugh at my weaknesses, stubborness, stupidity, egoism... HYPOCRiSY... you name it, I'm only human you see... even though I pretend to be a Godlike DROW DRAGON combo when it comes to d&d...