Skip to content

DRM

Comments

• JalisterJalister Member Posts: 146
    I just read the game has been delayed over 2 months. Sorry to hear that for those of you that were hoping to have it on Tuesday. Maybe the "something a little extra" they are working on is a DRM free version? I kid, but I also hope.

I believe this would have sold well on GOG, especially tied into the current D&D sale they are having, which is 7 days long. And I don't mean BGEE needed to be 65% off, just announce the pre-order next to the big sale. Plus GOG has done the pre-order discounts for other games, like BGEE is doing here.

Come on Beamdog, contact GOG so I can buy this thing. Or go DRM free here with it.

FTL showed up on GOG and the Humble Store, two DRM free outlets. I'll have to check it out this weekend.

@Treyolen - I agree. I also prefer a delay if it means a polished product. That has been the bane for Obsidian. So many times the publisher has pushed for the release before their game is entirely complete, or the bugs worked out.

That is one of the reasons I'm really starting to like indie games. Polished games AND DRM free.
  • SylonceSylonce Member Posts: 65
    Yay, another two months. You two kid? Well, to each their own *goes back and raises his 'no DRM!' protest flag* >:)
  • TreyolenTreyolen Member Posts: 235
    @Sylonce You have a flag? I gotta get me one of those! :)
  • vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    Don't be ridiculous. It's obvious Beamdog delayed the game just to piss everyone off!
  • MFbMMFbM Member Posts: 11
    Delayed? Oh well, at least now I know where to spend my money this month. ;) *goes to the D&D promo page on GOG.com*
    I do appreciate all the love Beamdog has caused for a well timed GOG sale. This delay is making a great non-DRM argument just by funneling traffic to them. But how will GOG make any money without using that DRM? Hmmmm...
    I don't see how DRM has anything to do with the delay at all. If GOG benefits from the delay, more power to them. It's not because they don't use DRM; it's because they happened to have a well-timed sale and Beamdog had some unfortunate problems.
    I'm not saying the DRM is the cause of the problem at all. I am saying that GOG was in the right place at the right time to capitalize and maybe spread the anti-DRM word just a little more. It isn't always a bad thing when stuff happens!
    Hey Infinity Engine fans, Obsidian just launched a Kickstarter project for Project Eternity. It's going to be a throwback to games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment. It's about to reach the 1.1 million goal in just over its first 24 hours. Currently only Steam is an option, but they are looking into more. Of course being Kickstarter, there are a lot of requests for a DRM free version in the comments.

@Jalister Thanks for the heads up! If that one goes DRM free and non-Steam I'll commit in a heartbeat. But both are deal breakers for me.
    @Treyolen - Do what a lot of others are. Go in at the lowest pledge so you can voice your request in the comments, or contact them through their project page. There are a lot of requests, and many Kickstarter projects ended up offering a DRM version due to popular request. The more voices, the better. I'm in at the lowest option for the game. I've stated I'll up to a boxed version when DRM is offered.

@Jalister Hmmm, not a bad idea. I will certainly take a look at that. I've almost pledged to a couple of Kickstarter projects. But have not done so just yet. It may be time to take the plunge. I may see you over there :)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I have to say, I'm really happy with the energy to which this thread has shifted. It's a much more positive wavelength; I almost look forward to coming here now. :)

I'm also really tempted to just splurge the $65 for the boxed edition for Project Eternity. But if the game ends up sucking, I don't know if I really want that "memento". ;)
    @Aosaw - The game is now funded, so it will be made. You can decide to wait until the game is released, demoed, and reviewed before buying it. The advantages to pledging now are better prices, some unique rewards, and helping to reach stretch goals if any are announced. I'm in at the $20 early bird. I will only increase to the $65 if a DRM free version is announced.

I agree, this thread has taken made a nice change in direction, while at the same time pointing our where DRM free has worked well enough for some developers and publishers.

It's also added in a nice little extra of celebrating the Infinity Engine style of games with the sale at GOG and now the Project Eternity kickstarter. I dream to have BGEE and PE on my GOG shelf with my other IE games.

• SylonceSylonce Member Posts: 65
    edited September 2012
    I put in 20 bucks myself, though like you, I did state that I will increase it if there is to be a gog edition. There is a thing on gog.com where you can vote to have the game too.
    @Sylonce - I voted there already, and have posted the link a few times on the PE comments page. 450 votes for PE on GOG already.

http://www.gog.com/en/wishlist/games/project_eternity
    That tweet is very hopeful. Not for the immediate future, but for eventually, it's good to know that the reason isn't the No-DRM thing, but rather the lack of time to make it happen.
  • ReekwindReekwind Member Posts: 33
    Just read a comment on that GOG wish that says the game will have cloud saving (for cross-platform play). Is this optional and can we still save locally? I figure we can but I want to be sure.
    If local saves are not an option, then that's another reason I will not purchase.
    Backers
    $1,464,086
    pledged of $1,100,000 goal
    days to go

I love it. Much like myself, every extra dollar this game gets shall make it that much greater.
    I think they're talking about Project Eternity, @ST4TICStriker. I was a little confused myself.
    @ST4TICStriker - I have 95 purchases at GOG, and have never given a copy to a friend. Besides, online activation does not prevent you from giving copies to your friends.
  • ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    Aosaw said:

I think they're talking about Project Eternity, @ST4TICStriker. I was a little confused myself.

Oh right......Now I feel stuipd :(
    Jalister said:

@ST4TICStriker - I have 95 purchases at GOG, and have never given a copy to a friend. Besides, online activation does not prevent you from giving copies to your friends.

Yeah, We do the same thing with steam games all the time, but we have to jump through more hoops.
    (I have 94 steams games though so you know.......Not really sticking it to the man)
  • ReekwindReekwind Member Posts: 33
    Aosaw said:

Actually, it was in regard to BG:EE. It will have a cloud-saving feature that will let you play your savegame between PC, Mac, iPad, Android, etc. My question is whether this feature is optional or not. I'd still like to be able to save my game on my local machine, irrespective of whether I have an Internet connection.
    Ah. Yes, I believe you will still be able to save your game locally.

It might even be a case where it saves your game locally and then backs it up in the cloud.

Jalister said:

If local saves are not an option, then that's another reason I will not purchase.

Of Course it has local saves! The game does have an offline mode.

It only needs Internet once, right after you instail it.
    They reason it does that is to stop one person buying it and then giving 4 of his friends copys of the installation files.

( Something I just did for Icewind dale. Stuipd GOG "Trusts" me not to piraite :) )

"Evil Laugh"
    And this is why companies need DRM...
    @Aosaw Saving locally and backing up to the cloud in a manner that allows cross platform saves would be a perfect example of adding real value for paying customers without DRM. Forcing the customer to use cloud saving would be an oppressive use of DRM. I'll be amazed if cloud save is forced on us in any way. But very impressed indeed if it is an option for us. This feature alone would be worth the price of the game and eliminate many potential pirates if offered.