Skip to content

Romances between good and evil characters don't always go so well

Comments

• BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited October 2013
    fujisan said:

I love strong willed NPC's regardless of alignment and don't see why they should compromise their integrity just because my character is around. Not all people get along in life so why should they in the game?

There are many things in life that can possibly compromise a person's integrity, mentally, morally and emotionally, it all depends on how strong willed you are. Some people admire a person who stays true to his/her beliefs even when under pressure, and even if they are enemies.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    edited October 2013
    Well OP, maybe for RP reasons you just avoid romancing evil aligned chars? Why don't you just settle down with a nice girl. Or make another charname....... sounds to me like you may be taking this a tad bit to seriously.
    edited October 2013
    CoryNewb said:

Well OP, maybe for RP reasons you just avoid romancing evil aligned chars? Why don't you just settle down with a nice girl. Or make another charname....... sounds to me like you may be taking this a tad bit to seriously.

Like Viconia? Sorry, but for RP reasons my charname is not the typical "reject and destroy all evil" type of good aligned guy, he's more open minded than that. I guess you could say he has LN tendencies. My charname is willing to interact with evil aligned companion characters as long as they don't do anything extremely evil or force him to do anything evil. For example, I've had Viccy in my party despite the complaints of Minsc, Dynaheir and Imoen, and I've kept Dorn and Edwin in for a while too. If Hex isn't romanceable for LG, NG, CG charnames, I'll just have him settle with Neera, Viccy or Aerie instead, no biggie at all. All I've done is let my concerns about alignment restrictions in a romance with a new companion character be known here and people think I'm complaining.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    You did note that you would rage quit, and that if she was a lesbian that it would be a "ef you" to straight people. Sounds a bit like complaining preemptively to me.

No harm done here, I think you should just let it progress naturally for your fan fic instead of preplanning. Feels a little forced
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Sometimes people romance other people and discover that they have very different personalities and don't fit together. Maybe your Charname needs a little courage to take a risk, OP?

Besides, I am evil and I don't randomly murder people. Why should Hexxat? Who runs around and commits atrocities on a regular basis, anyways? Not everywhone who isn''t nice is automatically a psychpathic murderer or in an extreme situation that warrants extreme actions.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Yeah, let's be honest, if Hexxat asks you to start murdering babies of something it might be time to accept that you probably don't have much of a future together.

I seriously hope the romance won't alienate good aligned charnames. If it does, I'll ragequit.
    Why ragequit it at that point? It's just another possible outcome of the story. IMO, you can't "fail" in romances in video games ... if things don't work out between the characters, then that's all part of your own story that you forged, is it not?
    edited October 2013
    CoryNewb said:

You did note that you would rage quit, and that if she was a lesbian that it would be a "ef you" to straight people. Sounds a bit like complaining preemptively to me.

No harm done here, I think you should just let it progress naturally for your fan fic instead of preplanning. Feels a little forced

Yes, I'll ragequit then move on, and I really got nothing against lesbians or any other homos, I just got this somewhat irrational fear of them, if you know what I mean.

I really don't want to force anything in my fan fic, I want all the details to be accurate. I don't want to end up intentionally or even unintentionally reshaping Hexxat's personality to the way I see fit, like how Jaheira has been treated in the offical Baldur's Gate novels, I want to stay true to the personality of every character.
    Quartz said:

Yeah, let's be honest, if Hexxat asks you to start murdering babies of something it might be time to accept that you probably don't have much of a future together.

I seriously hope the romance won't alienate good aligned charnames. If it does, I'll ragequit.
    Why ragequit it at that point? It's just another possible outcome of the story. IMO, you can't "fail" in romances in video games ... if things don't work out between the characters, then that's all part of your own story that you forged, is it not?
    I don't really know how to answer this, but there could be an inevitable outcome rather than a possible outcome. True, you can't really "fail" them, but there is a chance that the romance will never happen because of your character's race, gender and personality, rather than the story you forged.
    edited October 2013
    Calmar said:

Sometimes people romance other people and discover that they have very different personalities and don't fit together. Maybe your Charname needs a little courage to take a risk, OP?

Besides, I am evil and I don't randomly murder people. Why should Hexxat? Who runs around and commits atrocities on a regular basis, anyways? Not everywhone who isn''t nice is automatically a psychpathic murderer or in an extreme situation that warrants extreme actions.

My charname is somewhat of a risk taker, and a fairly decent team leader, so you got a point there, but when writing a fanfiction there's no turning back unlike in a game, if something doesn't work out and I didn't know it wouldn't work out beforehand, I'm screwed if I already posted the chapter on fanfiction.net. I need to know outcomes and other stuff ahead of time and improvise so that the story won't be a scattered mess.

I play a neutral evil character in Neverwinter Nights and I don't randomly do that either.

• Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    Essence lol rpers I can see it now... Chaoticgood stands upon a pile of freshly slain flaming fist mercs and ushers forward his companions and onlookers from the nearby tavern. As the crowd moves nervously toward him he announces with ferocity and lust "COME!... COME! My essence is thick with the smell of honeysuckle.... Kneel... and enjoy.". After a short moment the stern look leaves his face and he rumbles with laughter as he gestures the bar maid for a tankard of ale.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

What if she's only interested in women?

Then that would be a big "f**k you" to heterosexuals.
    So the game, as it is, is a somewhat above average sized f**k you to homosexuals now? Hmmm, I'm trying, I'm trying, but I don't feel offended yet.

You get hypocrite points though for freaking out about the mere suggestion to change charname's alignment, while also demanding that NPCs change theirs to suit your demands. I prefer NPCs to have a personality of their own. If I want NPCs that do everything exactly the way I see fit, I create a multiplayer party.

Yes, I'll ragequit then move on, and I really got nothing against lesbians or any other homos, I just got this somewhat irrational fear of them, if you know what I mean.

Have you ever looked up the word "homophobia"? I strongly recommend you do.

Also, if it lets you sleep better: With that attitude, no "homo" will ever hit on you. You are perfectly safe in your strictly hetero dreamland of smut fiction with mysterious women. rolls all eyes

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Wow. Every time I think I've seen the dumbest post on this forum, a trap door opens and there's a whole new layer of the Abyss to explore.

Okay. Here's the essential difference between a role-playing game and fan fiction: the former gives you partial control of the story, the latter gives you total control of the story. RPGs have a structure that exist outside your whims - this would be true even if you were playing old-school tabletop games, because you'd still be subject to the narrative established by the DungeonMaster. In video games it's even more rigidly defined, because while you have a limited amount of agency to determine certain things about your character's story (who they fall in love with, how they resolve certain quests, what their motivations are), you will always lose at Spellhold.

One of the things you do not have any control over is the storylines of other characters - which, again, goes back to tabletop gaming and the fact that you can't tell other players what to do with their PCs. In-game, that translates to you not being able to force potential party members to do things that are not consistent with their established personalities.

TLDR: play the game, try to romance Hexxat. If it fails, write a fanfic where your character converts her to Good through his mighty staff of redemption and call it an AU. Problem solved.

TLDR 2: An irrational fear of homos? You know, I think there's a clinical term for that...
    I must also agree with @Eudaemonium that it is rather weird to violently insist on Hexxat, without knowing more than her name, general alignment and base class.

She might be the bubbliest, least mysterious NPC in the history of NPCs who basically vomits the story of her life across every tavern table.
    She might be lawful evil, neutral evil or chaotic evil - all could be written very differently. For contrast, see the 2 lawful evils in BG1: Kagain is laid back, doesn't hate or belittle anyone and is just an easy going greedy guy - Edwin is an arrogant megalomaniac. (For added weirdness, OP states he doesn't mind having Edwin in the party, yet Edwin is the one who does have a quest that makes you kill lawful good Dynaheir...)
    She might be a lesbian or bisexual, both making her a homo to fear.
    She might have a race or alignment restriction.

THESE possibilities seems to pose no problem at all, if she'll only romance charname and not demand anything evil. Well, not more evil than Edwin at least. So, no demanding to kill a lawful good child, since lawful good, unarmed adults are fair game. In the light of that, I'm ready to call troll on the OP.

Why don't you play the game before you worry about writing a fan fic?

That's the plan, but I'm not going to write my fanfic after I beat the game, I'll forget half of what I've done, and most of the dialogue, and if I try to record my playthrough, my computer's memory will eventually become full. It would be better for me to play through one chapter at a time and focus on my fan fic.
    edited October 2013

What if she's only interested in women?

Then that would be a big "f**k you" to heterosexuals.
    So the game, as it is, is a somewhat above average sized f**k you to homosexuals now? Hmmm, I'm trying, I'm trying, but I don't feel offended yet.

You get hypocrite points though for freaking out about the mere suggestion to change charname's alignment, while also demanding that NPCs change theirs to suit your demands. I prefer NPCs to have a personality of their own. If I want NPCs that do everything exactly the way I see fit, I create a multiplayer party.
    You seriously believe that's what I want? That's where you're wrong, I prefer NPCs to have their own personality too, but there are circumstances or events during their adventures that might possibly cause an NPC to change, or at least harden or soften his/her personality. Need I remind you of Alistair and Leliana from Dragon Age Origins? If there are no optional personality changes for a certain character (I didn't say every character), then he/she will be less lifelike, not everyone stays the same person forever on a life changing adventure, they sometimes become a different person when the journey is over.
    shawne said:

TLDR: play the game, try to romance Hexxat. If it fails, write a fanfic where your character converts her to Good through his mighty staff of redemption and call it an AU. Problem solved.

TLDR 2: An irrational fear of homos? You know, I think there's a clinical term for that...

TLDR: Bad idea, it'll be the official novelizations of Baldur's Gate all over again. I'm staying true to the personality of every character whether I like it or not.

TLDR 2: I wouldn't know.
    edited October 2013

I must also agree with @Eudaemonium that it is rather weird to violently insist on Hexxat, without knowing more than her name, general alignment and base class.

THESE possibilities seems to pose no problem at all, if she'll only romance charname and not demand anything evil. Well, not more evil than Edwin at least. So, no demanding to kill a lawful good child, since lawful good, unarmed adults are fair game. In the light of that, I'm ready to call troll on the OP.

This is a huge misunderstanding, I'm making no demands, especially when all we have are unconfirmed details, that's just crazy. I just wanted to put in a discussion about my concerns and hunches about the new character and how she might affect good aligned charnames who decide to add her in their party. I know people who play good aligned charnames usually don't recruit evil companions, but me, I'm breaking the mold, especially in my fan fic because my charname is not extremely judgemental to the opposite alignment, (minor spoiler) he defended Viconia from Kivan.
    edited October 2013
    shawne said:

Wow. Every time I think I've seen the dumbest post on this forum, a trap door opens and there's a whole new layer of the Abyss to explore.

Okay. Here's the essential difference between a role-playing game and fan fiction: the former gives you partial control of the story, the latter gives you total control of the story. RPGs have a structure that exist outside your whims - this would be true even if you were playing old-school tabletop games, because you'd still be subject to the narrative established by the DungeonMaster. In video games it's even more rigidly defined, because while you have a limited amount of agency to determine certain things about your character's story (who they fall in love with, how they resolve certain quests, what their motivations are), you will always lose at Spellhold.

One of the things you do not have any control over is the storylines of other characters - which, again, goes back to tabletop gaming and the fact that you can't tell other players what to do with their PCs. In-game, that translates to you not being able to force potential party members to do things that are not consistent with their established personalities.

I'm well aware of this, I mean, I completed my fan fic of BG1:EE months ago, but just because I have total control of the latter doesn't mean I should follow it completely to satisfy my "whims", I'm trying to find balance between the latter and former. This is the reason why the official novels of BG is so terrible, because the author took far too much control of the story, changing Jaheira, Khalid and Xan's personalities and making too many changes in the plot which made the novel's story appear convoluted, for example, Montaron and Xzar working for Sarevok even though they are Zhents, and Sarevok executiong his minions to be replaced by Doppelgangers for no particular reason. I won't make a repeat of the forced romance of "Abdel & Jaheira", I won't make Hexxat my charname's love interest in my fanfic just because she can't in game.

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited October 2013

You seriously believe that's what I want? That's where you're wrong, I prefer NPCs to have their own personality too, but there are circumstances or events during their adventures that might possibly cause an NPC to change, or at least harden or soften his/her personality.

Unless your party consists solely of Sarevok, Viconia and Anomen, though, that's going to be the exception, not the rule.

Need I remind you of Alistair and Leliana from Dragon Age Origins?

1. Different game, doesn't use the alignment system.
    2. Alistair and Leliana change, this is true. Morrigan, Sten, Oghren, Wynne, Loghain, Justice, Velanna, Aveline, Sebastian and Varric do not, at least not to the extent you're looking for.
    3. Even if they did, there are degrees of change - Viconia goes from Neutral Evil to True Neutral. Sarevok goes from Chaotic Evil to Chaotic Good. They don't just jettison the entirety of their personality in order to be more compatible with the character you've constructed.

If there are no optional personality changes for a certain character (I didn't say every character), then he/she will be less lifelike, not everyone stays the same person forever on a life changing adventure, they sometimes become a different person when the journey is over.

Change doesn't always have to manifest on the level of personality. Edwin's circumstances change significantly after the end of ToB - that doesn't mean he's ready to change alignments and renounce the Thayvian way of doing things. Minsc arguably goes through the most significant transformation from BG1 to the end of the saga, and yet he never ditches Boo and "grows up".

TLDR: Bad idea, it'll be the official novelizations of Baldur's Gate all over again. I'm staying true to the personality of every character whether I like it or not.

Irony, thy name is BladeDancer: you want to stay true to the personality of every character while fretting that Hexxat's established character won't fit your pre-planned narrative.

I know people who play good aligned charnames usually don't recruit evil companions, but me, I'm breaking the mold, especially in my fan fic because my charname is not extremely judgemental to the opposite alignment, (minor spoiler) he defended Viconia from Kivan.

FYI, per the rules of D&D that sounds more like you're Lawful Neutral rather than Lawful Good.

The problem is that you're not seeing the central failure in your logic: your character is, for all practical intents and purposes, willing to compromise your ideals to accommodate the specific personalities in your party. I mean, @KidCarnival is right to point out that if Edwin's in your group, that means you killed an innocent woman to secure his services.

By the same token, if you are intent on both recruiting and romancing Hexxat, you will have to continue that practice (which would, of course, make your character more consistent: you can't commit murder on behalf of a Red Wizard and then balk at Hexxat asking you to help her steal a relic, especially if your character is in love with her when he did more for Edwin).

Of course, if it turns out that she's meant to romance female characters, you're SOL anyway, in which case you might as well stick with Neera and see where the story goes.
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    Move along people, nothing to see here.
    edited October 2013
    shawne said:

You seriously believe that's what I want? That's where you're wrong, I prefer NPCs to have their own personality too, but there are circumstances or events during their adventures that might possibly cause an NPC to change, or at least harden or soften his/her personality.

Unless your party consists solely of Sarevok, Viconia and Anomen, though, that's going to be the exception, not the rule.

Need I remind you of Alistair and Leliana from Dragon Age Origins?

1. Different game, doesn't use the alignment system.
    2. Alistair and Leliana change, this is true. Morrigan, Sten, Oghren, Wynne, Loghain, Justice, Velanna, Aveline, Sebastian and Varric do not, at least not to the extent you're looking for.
    3. Even if they did, there are degrees of change - Viconia goes from Neutral Evil to True Neutral. Sarevok goes from Chaotic Evil to Chaotic Good. They don't just jettison the entirety of their personality in order to be more compatible with the character you've constructed.

If there are no optional personality changes for a certain character (I didn't say every character), then he/she will be less lifelike, not everyone stays the same person forever on a life changing adventure, they sometimes become a different person when the journey is over.

Change doesn't always have to manifest on the level of personality. Edwin's circumstances change significantly after the end of ToB - that doesn't mean he's ready to change alignments and renounce the Thayvian way of doing things. Minsc arguably goes through the most significant transformation from BG1 to the end of the saga, and yet he never ditches Boo and "grows up".

Irony, thy name is BladeDancer: you want to stay true to the personality of every character while fretting that Hexxat's established character won't fit your pre-planned narrative.
    Nothing in my BG2EE fan fic has been planned yet, it's not even Nov. 15th yet. Besides, Hexxat's established character hasn't even been fully revealed to us yet. How can I fret over something that hasn't been confirmed yet? I have gut feelings about her established character, and all I wanted is to speak about it since my charname isn't evil or at least neutral, just to get it off my chest.
    onan said:

Move along people, nothing to see here.

I couldn't agree more.
    shawne said:

FYI, per the rules of D&D that sounds more like you're Lawful Neutral rather than Lawful Good.

The problem is that you're not seeing the central failure in your logic: your character is, for all practical intents and purposes, willing to compromise your ideals to accommodate the specific personalities in your party. I mean, @KidCarnival is right to point out that if Edwin's in your group, that means you killed an innocent woman to secure his services.

By the same token, if you are intent on both recruiting and romancing Hexxat, you will have to continue that practice (which would, of course, make your character more consistent: you can't commit murder on behalf of a Red Wizard and then balk at Hexxat asking you to help her steal a relic, especially if your character is in love with her when he did more for Edwin).

Of course, if it turns out that she's meant to romance female characters, you're SOL anyway, in which case you might as well stick with Neera and see where the story goes.

You sure about that?

Correction: Edwin didn't stay long in neither my playthrough or fanfic, he left after my charname refused to attack Dynaheir. My charname didn't commit any murders for him, he partially believed Edwin's claims that Dynaheir is evil, but when he met Dynaheir for himself, he realized that everything Edwin said about her is a lie.

If that's true, I might as well then.

Nothing in my BG2EE fan fic has been planned yet, it's not even Nov. 15th yet.

Except a narrative based on Hexxat as love interest of charname. In a story about the plot of Baldur's Gate 2, that is a minor detail. Assuming you know the plot of BG2, everything but your details is already planned by simply being based on the game. And you are getting upset over "what if" circumstances regarding details. As suggested by others many times, if the possible alignment, personality or quest of Hexxat, who may possibly not even be a romance option for your (apparently only, unchangable) charname bother you that much, why not just go with Neera? Her romance and quest will be new content, too, if that's what you're after. That, or the need for a thief, in which case you could just recruit her and romance the cleric or mage or cleric/mage.

By͟ Hel͞m,͞ a̢n̷d͟ ͞I th҉o͞uǵht͟ I͞ ̵w̧a̷s̸ p͟ick̵y̴..͟. O̸h̡, tra͠v̷e͠l͏ ̢en҉c̨o̶u͠n͘te̸r og̵r͏e m͟agȩ ̀ìǹ thé ̧wįl͢d̛ern̕ess ̶n͟e͞a̶r̢ ͝G̨no̷ll̷ Fort̷res̸s͟,͞ ̵o̡n͡e ͞ḑay,́ we̢ wil̨l͜ ̴b́e tog̕e͠th̛er.͘..̢
    edited October 2013

You seriously believe that's what I want? That's where you're wrong, I prefer NPCs to have their own personality too, but there are circumstances or events during their adventures that might possibly cause an NPC to change, or at least harden or soften his/her personality. Need I remind you of Alistair and Leliana from Dragon Age Origins? If there are no optional personality changes for a certain character (I didn't say every character), then he/she will be less lifelike, not everyone stays the same person forever on a life changing adventure, they sometimes become a different person when the journey is over.

I seriously believe you pointed out that restrictions on race, alignment or sex on romance options are a huge concern. I seriously believe that such restrictions make NPCs more believable and can reflect character traits, be it Viconia not romancing elves or Aerie being open to romance gnomes due to their backstories. And that dropping these restrictions will also drop a part of their consistency and personality. And I seriously believe that the alignment is the "essence" of a character's personality and major changes should be a rarity. It would not be believable that everyone and their mother is open to - or even capable of - a 180 degree turn.

I also believe you mean yourself when you say "charname" and have problems to seperate between "playing a character" and "immersion", that you think of yourself as a very special little snowflake (many people play with mixed parties or have an opposite-alignment NPC at some point, it does not make you or charname "more open minded") and that you are taking both the game and your smut fic a little too serious. (If the only thing that matters about a presumably main character is her willingness to romance you, I have to assume there is not much depth in this story and it comes down to smut. Of course, I'm aware that you little snowflake are not like all the other little snowflakes on fanfiction.net; this is just my general irrational fear of breeders speaking.)

There is no point in reminding me of DOA NPCs, as I didn't play any Dragon Age games. It's not relevant anyway, just like "Star Trek Online has Klingon NPCs" does not mean Baldur's Gate should have Klingon NPCs, too.

From the Beholder with love

I will show myself out now.

edited October 2013

Nothing in my BG2EE fan fic has been planned yet, it's not even Nov. 15th yet.

Except a narrative based on Hexxat as love interest of charname.
    That is in consideration, FYI

edited October 2013

With all due respect @BladeDancer I find that your concerns about Hexxat's alignment preferences - while legitimate - are contrary to your intentions with your fan fiction.

To write a fan fiction means to accept that you are putting your piece into a much larger picture: the piece must fit however. I think if you are so determined to romance Hexxat then you will have to make character compromises, rather than hoping that her well-rounded evil persona has been compromised sufficiently to make her applicable with Lawful Good characters, which I doubt and daresay should not be the case. Frankly, there is nothing about Aerie or Jaheira that makes them applicable to evil PCs (so much so that Jaheira's romance will fail based on the fundamental mechanic that an inadequate reputation will turn her off you), yet there is a great deal of character integrity in this. Frankly, I think Anomen is probably the only romance that offers complete coverage for romancibility as regards the PC's alignment.

In addition, while I think that it is great that you are passionate about writing a fan faction based on BG, I don't know why your heart is so set on Hexxat. You know absolutely nothing about her origins; her personality; her development opportunities; the quality of her romance dialogue; even her sexual orientation! While that might strike you as mysterious, I can assure you that no author commits to a serious plot arc or paradigm of character development if they have absolutely no idea of what they intend to write about it 20 pages later, and frankly it appears as though you have been allured by the prospect of a romance you have never done before, and so want to abandon the current romance track you are on with Neera to satisfy a curiosity. What will it be about an evil thief with her own agenda that makes her more appealing to a Lawful Good protagonist fighting against their murderous heritage than a half-elf estranged from her peers as a result of her aptitude for a less conventional style of magic? Apologies if it seems cruel to say, but it would appear as though you are setting your sights on a very very blurry finish line, which may possibly be a dead end. Just don't get angry that the developers will potentially have made it impossible for your character to romance Hexxat - their responsibility is to portray her as honestly and realistically as they can, not our protagonists; that's our job.

I know my piece must fit into the bigger picture, that's why I'm waiting until November 15th to get started. To be honest with you, my intention is to flawlessly tie my BG fanfics into the Forgotten Realms canon as if they are canonical instead of the official novels, and contrary to popular belief, my heart isn't exactly set on Hexxat, I mean, for my playthrough and fan fic, I haven't even made my final decision on who I want my charname to romance. I had him romance Neera in BGEE, but I'm not so sure if I want to continue it in BG2EE. The candidates are Aerie, Viconia, Neera and Hexxat. Hexie seems like a very interesting character, but with what little we know about her at the moment, I just can't help but wonder if good charnames are unable to romance her like how evil charnames can't romance Rasaad.

It may appear that I have my sights set on a blurry finish line, but the truth is I'm very uncertain about my decisions. I keep second guessing my choices. I feel like I'm on a road with so many detours, and I don't even have a road map. I'm not sure where I want to go from where I'm standing. I don't want to hit a dead end, and that is what scares me into second guessing my choices and ideas.