Skip to content

Patch III Wrap-Up (part 2)

Comments

• IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    edited October 2013
    Aranthys said:

@Isaya :
    You're mistaken, I'm okay with having a partial french soundset, even if I don't like it and think it gives a feeling of "that game isn't complete/polished" to the users.

But i absolutely disagree about having both english AND french sounds in the same version. It's the worst option possible to me, and it's the option they had chosen, hence me disagreeing.

Palanthis said:

@Isaya
    @Aranthys is right, we were not complaining about having the French sounds instead of english ones.

@Aranthys @Palanthis I think I understood what you don't like. I just disagree because of the implications for people who would like to have the French voices. It's true there are lots of personal preferences involved here.

From a technical point of vue, it's not possible to have bif files for French without the new voices as the catalog for the files in bif files is common to all languages. So the files for Dorn, for instance, has to exist, according to the bif file handling. However, it may be possible to have them empty but then the game should have specific handling of that case otherwise the problem I reported earlier (here) about cutscenes may come back .
    One workaround could be to remove voice files references in the French dialog.tlk for all new content. This means some work anyway.
    Palanthis said:

In the latest update though, the french sounds were mixed with english ones. It's a bug i already reported earlier in beta, that has not been fixed. That's why we asked to remove it, until they can fix it completely and offer us a true and working french version, like in vanilla.

I'm very surprised you faced such a problem during the beta. I never had any French voices.
    I entered the beta around the 3rd of October (before the first update mentionned in the forum) and I missed one update around the 15th (got the 21st instead), plus the one from yesterday with French voices package. Maybe I missed something at the very beginning then. However existence of French voices in the patch must have been very short-lived because I never had such a version.
    Believe me, I checked that point very carefully along the process, and I never noticed any French voices in the game. You can check my report where I mentionned the tests I made with a French voices package that I build myself and that indeed includes English voices for all that is not available.

Edit : thanks for the feedback @Dee
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Palanthis said:

In fact I have a full room of popcorn ready for when i'll be reading it.

Totally agree!!! Popcorn and reading go together perfectly!
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    edited October 2013
    Isaya said:

@Aranthys @Palanthis I think I understood what you don't like. I just disagree because of the implications for people who would like to have the French voices. It's true there are lots of personal preferences involved here.

I would actually say that the implications of having both french and english will be way more devastating from a quality-standard standpoint to people that are saying "BG:EE is a half-assed adaptation".

But I may be biased, because I'm quite fluent in english.

To be honest....
    In a perfect world, french version would be wholly translated (Additional content included)
    In a slightly-less perfect world, people would be able to pick the text language AND the sound laguage (IE : German text with polish sounds, YAY :D)

Problem is, we can't have a perfect world... (at least not yet...) so it's just a matter of "What is considered slightly less worse, while we are waiting for that perfect world to happen ?"
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    Dee said:

Please remember, this is not the last patch for BG:EE. There will be other patches in the future, other opportunities to resolve issues and improve and polish features. When you see the change log you'll see that there's already a ton of stuff in this patch.

Good to read! I think a lot of people fear that it will once again be aroung 6-8 months until next patch. :(
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Cuv said:

Palanthis said:

In fact I have a full room of popcorn ready for when i'll be reading it.

Totally agree!!! Popcorn and reading go together perfectly!
    Especially buttery popcorn :D
    Cuv
  • BlashBlash Member Posts: 248
    So? Today's the day?
    ivavlakulJairyanna
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    It's halloween... the changes will be out of this world
  • SaradasSaradas Member Posts: 148
    how i feel now

Shar
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Saradas said:

how i feel now

So when Dee feels like strangling us the patch is ready? :)
  • RedWizardsRedWizards Member Posts: 29
    Has it launched yet? :o
  • ivavlakulivavlakul Member Posts: 30
    edited October 2013
    Is today a proper tomorrow or it will be only tomorrow?
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    I have been playing it quite a bit and I have not encountered any issues at all. I think it's ready. I am sure once it's released there will be other things people notice, but as far as i can see, it is working well enough to be released.
  • callimachuscallimachus Member Posts: 86
    Dee said:

Please remember, this is not the last patch for BG:EE. There will be other patches in the future, other opportunities to resolve issues and improve and polish features. .

For a second I read this as "improve Polish features" and I thought, "There are Polish features to improve?"

JairyannaSilverstar
  • qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311
    yeah go ahead and release it.....
  • LWhisperLWhisper Member Posts: 8
    About Russian translation:
    Unfortunately, the translation is terrible.

1) They used an old fan- translation of the first part of the game (good translation).
    2) New texts are translated from Prompt (disgusting translation) or skipped.
    3 ) "Major" bug: please replace the text of a button in the main menu "СКЛАДИРОВАТЬ" to "Магазин" (modern translation) or "Лавка" (in the spirit of the time). Main menu - is cutaway of game, but here is ...
    4) Scrolling text is shaking when scrolling (line "float " on one pixel up and down) .
    5) Save Game -> New Save -> Print "Ы" (Russian letter) -> Delete letter -> string is empty, but the "Save" button is available . -> I press the button - > "Saved successfuly" (pleace replace "Успешного спасения" to "Игра успешно сохранена"), but in fact the game is not saved.
    6) When you close the game window (right click - > close), a window appears with the text in the wrong encoding.
    AristilliusblackedAedan
  • RedWizardsRedWizards Member Posts: 29
    Is it ready yet? :x
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited October 2013
    @Dee
    If you hit the "Language" button, you will see that the screen does not look good. The part that displays credits and translation notes has a different color from the rest of the screen. It looks really bad in my opinion.
    Aside from that, the game works like a charm.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The framing could probably be better, but it's important to separate that box, since some languages have so many lines that you need to be able to scroll.
    CoryNewb
  • weebletnsweebletns Member Posts: 1
    Will this patch be available to users who purchased the game on steam, even though we can't participate in the beta?
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    weebletns said:

Will this patch be available to users who purchased the game on steam, even though we can't participate in the beta?

Eventually, yes.
    weebletns said:

Yes. I don't know how quickly it will hit Steam, but this patch is for all Windows and Mac versions. (iPad will come a little later, probably a little closer to the release of BGII:EE.)
  • GoddardGoddard Member Posts: 134
    This update is nothing to look forward to for me.
  • BlashBlash Member Posts: 248
    @Dee, can you tell us anything about the release time?
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Dee said:

The framing could probably be better, but it's important to separate that box, since some languages have so many lines that you need to be able to scroll.

I do not see how the two things are related. In the previous builds, there was the ability to scroll credits/translation notes and the screen looked good. Now it is a punch in the eyes.
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    LWhisper said:

About Russian translation:
    Unfortunately, the translation is terrible.

1) They used an old fan- translation of the first part of the game (good translation).
    2) New texts are translated from Prompt (disgusting translation) or skipped.
    3 ) "Major" bug: please replace the text of a button in the main menu "СКЛАДИРОВАТЬ" to "Магазин" (modern translation) or "Лавка" (in the spirit of the time). Main menu - is cutaway of game, but here is ...
    4) Scrolling text is shaking when scrolling (line "float " on one pixel up and down) .
    5) Save Game -> New Save -> Print "Ы" (Russian letter) -> Delete letter -> string is empty, but the "Save" button is available . -> I press the button - > "Saved successfuly" (pleace replace "Успешного спасения" to "Игра успешно сохранена"), but in fact the game is not saved.
    6) When you close the game window (right click - > close), a window appears with the text in the wrong encoding.

I have never tried Russian translation how do you switch to that? Its not in the language options do you download language pack or?

• bescheidbescheid Member Posts: 16
    Is the patch not coming today? Waited all day for it ;(
    It's barely 2pm in Edmonton; be patient. :)
    elminsterNecdilzorFredjo
    bescheid said:

Is the patch not coming today? Waited all day for it ;(

If you're in Sydney and guys are in LA they still have about 18 hours... :)

Actually quite bad example because its already 1st of November in Sydney but yeah time difference.
This discussion has been closed.