Skip to content

Peaceful Protest: The BGEE Pacifist's Challenge

EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
edited November 2013 in Challenges and Playthroughs
Greetings, all!

In my first times through Baldur's Gate a decade or more ago, I realized something very important:

It's possible to gain EXP and levels from things besides combat. Specifically, certain quests could be completed without the party killing anyone; Thieves could open locks and disarm traps for EXP; and Mages could scribe scrolls into their repertoire and gain EXP.

Why?
In a game that's primarily about killing and looting to get ahead, how far can you get without your party actually killing anyone? What treasure could you collect? What level would you be? How does the playstyle change?

Rules, Please!
1: The very most important rule: YOUR PARTY MEMBERS MAY NEVER KILL ANY CREATURE, EVER!

The very most important corollary to rule one: THIS CHALLENGE DOES NOT PREVENT ENEMIES FROM BEING KILLED!

Casual onlookers may be confused as to what this means. In short, your party can't kill creatures, but enemies can still kill themselves. AoE traps and area attacks in general are your friends, if you have the right defenses or resources to survive them.

A strict interpretation of this rule means no minions (summonlings/called creatures/illusionary duplicates of creatures/mind controlled beings) can kill anyone since they're party controllable; however, I think charming and dominating people is funny and is in line with the pacifistic attitude of this challenge. It's not directly your fault that everyone who hates you also hates your new best friends.

Traps created by your party, like a Thief's Spiked Traps and the spell skull trap are also NOT allowed to kill anyone.

2: Your party members can still participate in combat, just nonlethally.

This means you can use crowd control effects like sleep and color spray and web. You can still have up every buff you like, including fire shield, spell turning, or any damage reflecting abilities since the enemies are hurting themselves on your defenses.

A strict interpretation of rule two means your party can't attack, but I prefer 'minimal attacking.' I allow for pulling creatures, such as with ranged attacks. (So far I've not needed this.)

Also, guards (like in Candlekeep and at the Friendly Arm Inn) will attack enemies trying to hurt you if you didn't aggro them.

3: No New Game Plus via Importing
Using the Import function for characters to get yourself more items/EXP/better stats than normal is forbidden. Just to make that clear.

What else do you recommend?
1: Thieves and Mages are the best way to go.

Thieves and Mages, conveniently, have useful noncombat options and nonviolent ways of gaining EXP. A Mage/Thief has both (and probably has greater long-term survivability), but requires more EXP to level.

2: Go solo most the time.

Extra party members will usually just absorb your EXP, but there are times when having extra thieving or casting or inventory space will help. And yes, you can still invite NPCs in, take their stuff, and dismiss them.

3: You need nonviolent ways of generating money.

Pickpocketing/Stealing immediately came to mind, and is useful situationally. You need to know what targets have items worth stealing, and where you're allowed to steal. (The High Hedge shopkeeper has no 'steal' option in his inventory, and probably for good balance reasons.)

Exploration helps much (and is worth EXP to nix locks and traps). There's enough clutter in the various inns, towns, and civilized settings to remind me of stealing every fork I could for cash in The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

There are plenty of good items ripe for the taking if you know where to look. Durlag's Tower has plenty of good loot if you're skilled enough to reach it.

4: You need nonviolent ways of gaining items.

Pickpocketing is your friend. Using color spray or sleep or charm person or the like isn't enough to you to steal items from a living creature.

5: There are nonlethal ways of gaining EXP.

Candlekeep in the Prolog has at least 200 EXP worth of nonviolent quests. (If you're a Mage, strongly consider keeping Firebeard's scroll of Identify to scribe into your repertoire! It's only a 40 EXP loss compared to quest completion.)

One of Beregost's inns has a 900 EXP reward waiting for the right dialog options.

Durlag's Tower has a 4000 EXP reward for choosing the right dialogs (or more, as of 1.2, if you click the quest giver enough times upon redeeming the quest.)

6: Your familiar is helpful.

I prefer being a True Neutral character due to the higher open locks ability of the rabbit. And just having a familiar means more HP for you. Woot!

7: Higher DEX is your friend!

Being an Elf means you can have the highest DEX of the starting races, and among the highest Thief skills. You also get charm and sleep resistance, and can start as a Mage/Thief multiclass. Woot!

On a similar note, any ability that increases your DEX also increases your thieving skills. Any ability that decreases your DEX also decreases your thieving skills.

8: Temporary enhancements help. Much.

DEX boosters, thief skill boosters, Mage buffs... Invest in what you need to succeed!

Potions of Master Thievery exist to boost your ability to deal with locks and pickpocketing. Check out High Hedge and Durlag's Tower Basement 1.

9: One man's cheese is another man's treasure.

Reloading often is expected in this challenge, especially if you don't know the areas, or you're trying to steal frequently.

The concept of 'metagaming' in Baldur's Gate never occured to me until I read the forums. Thus, I believe in being forewarned and therefore, prepared.

Save in multiple slots. Often.

Hide at night. Your stealth skills are higher during the night, reduced slightly inside (to about 1/3), and reduced to about 1/2 when in daylight.

Oh yes: If in doubt, research the viability of something. The Internet helps, as does personal experimentation. Remember, if you kill something (or you die), you'll need to reload anyway and your progress won't be saved. You're on your honor.

What sort of character do you advise for this challenge?
True Neutral Elf Multiclass Thief/Mage

18 STR
19 DEX
16 CON
18 INT
3 WIS
10 CHA

(I recommend no less than 84 points.)

Proficiencies
Proficiency-wise, I chose Shortbow and Scimitar. (It doesn't matter that much.) Alternatively, sword & shield style gets you some extra AC.

Thief Skills
I maximized Pickpocket since Invisibility covers stealth, and my familiar (a Rabbit) can handle traps initially.

Mage Spells
Choose color spray and find familiar as your starting spells, and prepare find familiar.

Comments

• FFGFFG Member Posts: 52
    This is looking pretty interesting.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    That's a cool challenge. I think I saw someone do this type of game on a different forum and I know they at least finished BG1. IIRC there are certain enemies that you have to kill to advance the plot but it's possible to win killing only those and no others.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    This looks fascinating. This goes on the to-do list. :-)
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Just personal opinion, but killing undead isnt non-pacifist, as they are non-living. Its lkke claiming you killed an automobile; you merely rendered it inoperable. Same with golems and constructs. Summons mihht qualify too, but not Gate, which isnt a summon, thats a calling.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    I always wondered, that when you charm Mulahey, is it possible to pick-pocket the symbol from him? I think that you can buy some potion of master thievery at the Durlag merchant.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    lolien said:

I always wondered, that when you charm Mulahey, is it possible to pick-pocket the symbol from him? I think that you can buy some potion of master thievery at the Durlag merchant.

Couldn't you simply steal it before he turns hostile?
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Afaik, Mulahey must die to advance the game to the next chapter.

Mulahey, Daeveron, Dopplegangers at the palace, and Sarevok are the only necessary kills in the game.

...at least as far as I could determine from my game.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723

This run is different, and quite a bit of fun. I have never soloed before, so coping with limited carrying capacity (shorted raids) is something I am having to adapt to, but also the game runs much more quickly having only one character to manage. Even faster as I am ducking out of fights, and generally running past enemies under sanctuary. The downside is that as I never dispatch an enemy, the maps are staying full of hazard and there are no real comfort zones to rest. I suspect the Cloakwood mines will be quite challenging, but first I must visit the bandit camp...

Indeed :) Good luck with those bandits!
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    @Larkus, very insightful suggestions, thanks!
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @Larkus‌
    My position on charming people would depend on the pacifist I'm playing as. For instance, if we're talking a pacifist druid, then no, I would be against things that would cause any death. My devious, dashing, Chaotic Neutral M/T, however, would simply be a pacifist as a way of avoiding direct combat that could harm him. He fights with speed and his mind, not brute strength.
    You can turn skellies, right? Doesn't help with kobolds, but you could dominate one or two, and hope they pull aggro while you run?

Or, go hardcore and charm/dominate them all, and have them sit in the corner, but you might need a snappy cloak for that. ;)

I still say killing undead (sorry @Anduin‌ !) and constructs is 100% acceptable. MAYBE Slimes (sorry @Kamigoroshi‌ !) too. Non-living isn't killable.
    Damaging undead is GOOD karma, they are animated by Negative Energy, which as a side effect makes the world duller, less happy and a little more dead. So that argument doesn't work, but you're free to not perform good deeds like deanimating undead. Seriously, undead sre the opposite of life, which is created by Positive Energy. Turning them is channeling Positive Energy, aka makes the world a slightly better place.

For the greater doppelgangers, try buffing the soldiers and healing the Dukes. Belt is pretty tough, he should be your first choice to aide. Of course, its sophistry either way at this point, since you are still indirectly killing, but depends on your goal.

To be clear, not trying to troll you, just stating opinions that could be useful.
    You're free to argue against canon, but in my experience, they tend to blow up in your face if you try. ;)
    Challenge accepted! (albeit with a slight change) I won't be working on this intensely, but I will be playing occasionally and taking notes on my characters progression. I accept all the rules stated by the original post, except I will not accept the no traps one. This means that Skull Trap and thief traps are allowed. I doubt I'll play this into BG2, or if I do it will be a long time from now, so I'm not concerned with spike traps and the quantity of traps available to me in BG1 is minimal. I also will never set traps unless my character knows (and by knows I mean has SEEN) enemies are there. As for the character, why he's a pacifist, what his skills are, and why he's okay with using traps to kill...

Treevus "Cleanfingers":

Class: Mage/Thief

Race: Elf

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Portrait: That derpy elf that I'm pretty sure almost no one ever uses. You know the one. Deder's.

Abilities:
    STR 9
    DEX 19
    CON 16
    INT 18
    WIS 15
    CHA 17
    TR: 94 (This was exactly the roll I wanted. And no, I didn't expect to get it. Got the roll in about 40 minutes while watching the first episode of Firefly. Really surprised I didn't roll past it.)

Skills:
    Short Sword: * (Purely for self defense, as he won't be getting into any melees.
    Single Weapon Style: * (Will switch between this and bucklers, depending on what bucklers I get)

Spells: Armor, Charm, Identify, and Sleep

Bio: Treevus "Cleanfingers" is a neat freak. Obsessed with keeping his hands clean at all times, (the source of his nickname) he's sworn to never fight, though he will defend himself if absolutely necessary. Apart from his obsession with cleanliness, he's your standard dashing rogue with a real brain. While he's not weak, the elf is not possessed of a great deal of physical strength. What he lacks in brawn, however, he more than makes up for elsewhere. Brilliant, faster than wind, sturdy enough to take a blow to the gut from a hamster wielding psycho, wise enough to impress the priests of Candlekeep, and charming enough to have found his way into more than one attractive traveler's bed at Winthrop's, he's the quintessential mage/thief. He's never found his way into a fight before, but he's fully ready for it, he believes. He knows what he would need to do and he's ready. What he needs to do of course being charm or sleep the enemy and run like hell. The question is... Is he as ready as he believes?...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    edited September 2014
    @Elrandir‌ The selfie, please :)

Even if it's the vanilla portrait, the introduction of every character should start with a portrait. It helps to understand him better. I always look at the portrait when read the biography.

Moreover, I like Deder's portrait. One of my favourite from the whole series.
    But beeeeen... That takes work. =p
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I love the bio @Elrandir‌ ! However as soon as he learns fireball... surely he will fire that and run away... Does he not need to believe in the sanctity of life... Maybe instilled through a hatred of murder and despoilment?