Skip to content

Drow, for and against.

14567810»

Comments

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    kamuizin said:

If done badly now, we would have to probally stick with the crap addition of drow.

So, MAYBE if ppl wait, Beamdog on the future make a decent addition of drow race as an patch/DLC, cos they're to much near the release of the game to do anything now, i think.

Now that is actually the first proper reason I have seen not to include the Drow in BE GG.

But I don't believe in that reasoning. Beamdog is now allowed to touch the original material, so they are actually contractually forbidden from doing what you are hoping for.

I rather look at it from the other side of view. If races like Drow are added to BG EE and BG2 EE, they would likely also be added to BG3. There, they should be able to give the Drow and other dark races the story feedback that would be proper to these races.
    kamuizin said:

The problem of this thread, is that at each turn of page (we're on page 9 a.t.m.) ppl repeat the same bullshit argued before.

The problem is that you call it "bullshit", without even giving a single argument to waylay it. Before this post you haven't given any decent constructive argument as why it would be a bad thing if the option was available for others. If you don't want endless repeating discussion, get to the point and show why their arguments are wrong.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    edited August 2012
    Hmmm, i'm all for more options in the game, but if i may play devil's advocate, it seems to me that a drow wondering around with the hero would be acceptable, and people would comment about the pc keeping that 'drow woman' on a short leash. people expect it but the rep drop shows that they trust you less.

were the pc a drow, and had another drow in the party, people would be more likely to kill you, and the game should reflect that. In bg2, no way would you be able to use aerie, and possibly others through the game, simply because you're a drow. i think the main argument against it would simply be the fact that they would have to change how people look at your char, and outside people would see it more as racist then what it really is. Unless the drow history is rooted in racism?

but imagine if you will. The gta hot coffee mod. or more accurately, the gta hot coffee unlocker. remember the outrage over something so minor.

now remember the recent travon martian shooting. This is possibly a PR nightmare for a company tryig to get on it's feet. If they just you a -2 rep hit, and another when you picked up viconia, well, pr nightmare averted, but it's not realistic. It's immersion breaking for alot of people, because while the rules in dnd aren't the same as irl, they're just as strict. the rules are one of the reasons the game is so popular imo.

so, risk upsetting the fans? never a good idea, ESPECIALLY at this stage of development/growth for the company. Risk a PR nightmare? not gonna happen, unless the devs care very deeply about the subject matter, and even then, they wouldn't make it a pc, it would be a viconia char (which is already in the game). I don't want to shatter dreams, but in reality, i see this as something the devs will avoid at all costs. It's the only viable solution.

Edit: i'm all for drow pc in the game btw, but i saw someone asking for a reason why drow wouldn't be in the game, so i answered. :)
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    edited August 2012
    It's a nice idea (and I voted for it on principle), but I don't see them implementing sub-races, especially Drow. Maybe you could get away with implementing other sub-races, but Drow would be the sticking point. You couldn't have them without changing the game to recognise that and act accordingly and that seems like it's too far outside of Beamdog's mandate. Especially in the Underdark in BG2 where you are magically disguised as Drow. You would have to rewrite parts of that, arguably just a little, but it would be altering the orignal content, which they can't do.