Skip to content

Did anyone else here originally buy NWN solely because...

SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
...BG2 kept telling you that you could import your character into it?

And was anyone else here as pissed as I was and felt like you had been scammed?

Just curious.

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    No
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Yes.
    And no. Slightly dissappointed maybe.
  • Big_MurrayBig_Murray Member Posts: 69
    edited December 2013
    No.

Seems like an odd reason to buy a game.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    No.
    I was disappointed when they announced before the release of NWN that you couldn't take your character from BG in due to the rule changes, but it didn't stop me from purchasing it.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I didn't want to be able to export my BG2 character into NWN because it always felt to me that by the conclusion of ToB my character's story had come to an end. However, I did hope to be able to export my BG1 character into it and continue her story in a different direction.

I was pretty disappointed with NWN. I hoped it would have the same feel as Baldur's Gate but it just didn't. I think the big problem was that it was designed for multiplayer and I wanted to play solo. I found it really frustrating that I couldn't create a party and instead was limited to one henchman at a time. And the fact that I had virtually no control over my henchman drove me nuts. It seemed like whatever you asked them to do they would just run off an get themselves killed at the first opportunity.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited December 2013
    No.

Still, my biggest disappointment with NwN1 was that it felt more like walking through a toolset and not an actual game. The story of the main campaign was medicore at best and I quickly grew tired of being forced to play a "good" guy and search for a remedy of the plague.

And don't get me started on these horrible, horse-headed "Lizardfolk" models in shiny armor, which the game poorly described as the reptilian Creator Race known as Sarrukh. Bioware should at the very least gave them a serpentine lower body similar to those of Yuan-Ti Abominations. They were really lazy with every single monster model for that matter though with their retexturing-should-do-the-trick policy (using a retextured Hooked Horror model for the Vrock? Riiight...)
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    HotU was quite epic though.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I was pretty disappointed at first, but once I got into the persistent worlds, especially Abyss 404, I was in love.

Hordes of the Underdark was indeed awesome aside from the railroading of the Evil path.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I came for the RPG, left for the graphics and came back after a couple of expansions.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Nope.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    No. I bought it because it was a BioWare D&D title. If BG was good, NWN must be too. It was, in a different way. You've probably read all about my gushing over the multiplayer aspect and the toolset and those are the main reasons why I still love NWN.
  • Aozgolo108Aozgolo108 Member Posts: 79
    I bought it because of the construction set, like literally before I even played the game I was messing around the construction set. This unfortunately hampered my ultimate enjoyment of the game because I realized how limited the set actually was. You couldn't make anything truly unique with it, every city, forest, dungeon, cave, desert, etc. looked exactly like the last one because there was no variation, you couldn't make other locations feel distinct beyond the layout, and once I began to play the game, I was underwhelmed by how it was all fitted together, I could have even done a better job of designing some of those levels, there were doors in the city that they lazily didn't even make a house for, they were just static... part of what made BG series so fun was that not every single area was NECESSARY for the game, playing a thief character was made far more rewarding by the number of random houses you could just sneak into and steal from.
  • civian1991civian1991 Member Posts: 57
    @SharGuidesMyHand I remember that! "Ohhh the adventure doesn't have to end..blah blah" All lies!

I recently bought the Diamond edition from gog.com, purely because HotU is supposed to be awesome. Playing thru the official campaign atm, and it's ooookaaaay. Not great but enjoyable enough.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    I bought NWN thinking "Oh man, this will be awesome!" after having completed about 60-70% of the game i said "Oh jesus this is utter shit" and never played the campaign ever again. I did however spend an awfull lot of time in persistant world custom mod servers.. where some of the mods were actually VERY VERY good, despite being made by volunteers and "amateurs".

Funny thing is, those "amateurs" gave me hundreds of hours of fun.. where the actual Dev's gave me a campaign so shit, that if not for the toolset the game would not even be worth the mass produced CD's it came on..

I did the same mistake with NWN2.. the main campaign is just so BAD, it's not even worth a review. Neeshka? God awful.. Elanee? Even more of a annoying old aunt than Jaheira could ever hope to be.
    That sorceror b-word? Ugh.. and I've not even started on the horrible, painfull and utter disasterous voice acting.. good lord! Those two games even make those ridiculous title-stealing Baldur's Gate games for the consoles look good.

Neverwinter Nights are the kind of games I wish we could disinvent.. I hate them with a passion.
    @Khyron What, despite having of having "hundreds of hours of fun"? Why the hate, man?
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    Because everything about the actual campaigns, even in expansions, was total and complete ass. They should have released the resources and toolset for 20% of the original price and never made the "games" ;)
    @Khyron Absolutely everything? That's just trolling.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    I bought the game because of BG1/BG2. Not because I could import but just the fact that it was referenced in-game. I was young and didn't know any other RPGs since I'd grown up playing platformers on consoles. I remember my impression of it pretty well: an ugly, sterile gameworld that looked and felt completely artificial. I wanted to like it a lot but I didn't. I did try out various custom modules too and felt that they were a bit overrated, at least as alternatives to the crappy main campaign.

I tried to complete the OC last year just so that I would never have to again and even at my most determined I didn't make it. It's a shame because there's some things I like about it but they're just hidden very deeply by hordes of mindless filler combat and lazy, unsatisfying story progression (go get 4 things, got em? Ok go get another 4. Then again). SoU I actually completed and haven't played since but it had some memorable moments and better pacing. HotU I got pretty far on but epic level 3E burns me out.

HotU I got pretty far on but epic level 3E burns me out.

Yah same here.

NWN is good in its own ways, its not completely terrible, though if players had just finished the BG games and then went to NWN straight after or had the same expectation, then they'd be a bit disappointed. Same situation with the Dragon Age games, DA:O was great, though DA2 was..not so great (for me anyway because I wanted the same rich experience and compelling story)
    edited December 2013
    Edited as I accidentally posted the above twice.
    Post edited by civian1991 on
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Yeah, bought due to the trailer i got with BG. Slightly disappointed that I couldnt bring my bg character into nwn, but I loved the game none the less :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    @Shandyr
    Yeah, that's the one! Oh man, it was sooo epic! :D *goosebumps*
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I bought it solely because of the Linux version. That was what sparked my interest, initially. I've been hooked on bioware games ever since. Granted, in retrospect, it's pretty weak compared to the rest. I think Jade Empire was the only one of their games I liked less. The awesome mods and HOTU were much better than the OC.

I I think Jade Empire was the only one of their games I liked less.

Yeah, it was really short. Good plot twist though.

• TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Nope. However thanks for remind me of old memories.