Skip to content

Getting sick of the Enhanced Edition hate from fans of the old game

13»

Comments

• Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    "If you've been playing Tutu for years and then move to BG:EE you're going to notice the difference, just as you're going to notice the difference if you go from Tutu to vanilla BG."

Sorry I felt that this comment was dismissive it insinuates that the change is now do to perception alone and not a current issue/former issue. Also the reason I asked for results I didn't see that he said he was testing it above @deltago

It was said that spawning scales with lv and party size yet at max lv "I only encountered one (I repeat one) Gibberling and two Black Bears in the whole map." and this is pretty much the exact things you face at lv 2.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Dee said:

It's a logical fallacy ...

@Dee

Point taken. It's funny however how in http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21432/how-to-disagree you said
    Dee said:

Every time I see someone say "That's a strawman argument" or "This is a logical fallacy", it looks like ad hominem; and when you're on the receiving end of it, it feels like name calling.

At least I'm glad you changed your mind on this :)

I will stop the tests as I can see already that the current rates in BG1:EE are close enough to the vanilla one (actually the rates in the EE are still slightly lower than vanilla in my tests, but this can be due simply to the small sample size).
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I think that says a lot about @Chaotic_Good as a person. Probably explains why this argument is going nowhere.
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited December 2013
    :D I think that says a lot about @FinneousPJ as a person. My comparison was to tutu as it was a challenge and had noticeably improved game play. I found it hard to believe that the game was made that easy so it turns out I was only slightly right :D I guess. I guess it is the wrong argument... though when most people talk about the old game they are talking about tutu.
    Post edited by Chaotic_Good on
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Tutu didn't really make the game harder IMO. The increased XP from higher spawns and the massive XP gain from traps and locks kind of meant you levelled up really fast in the early game.
    edited December 2013

Tutu didn't really make the game harder IMO. The increased XP from higher spawns and the massive XP gain from traps and locks kind of meant you levelled up really fast in the early game.

@Eudaemonium

This only applies to the central portion of the game imho. At the beginning, despite the increased XP and faster levelling the Tutu game is much harder. In particular, it is much more challenging to reach FAI for the first time for instance. Furthermore, once you are close to the XP cap (or reached it) the Tutu game is more challenging because you still have increased spawns.

It is a matter of taste and I must say I prefer greatly the Tutu system (despite his known problems, like the fact that doesn't usually account for the time of the day or that sometime you can get a respawn even if the previous foes have not been defeated).

However, considering that going with the vanilla system is a deliberate choice of the developers, I accept that.

Maybe a solution that would make everyone happy would be the availability of an (un)official (and totally optional) mod to bring the tutu spawning system to the EE. If I were to make such a mod (I'm not, not enough time) I would call it Tutification :D
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Is that the same for Thieves? I seem to remember running an Assassin in Tutu who levelled up really fast due to having lots in Pick Locks early on. Did Tutu use BG2 trap/lock XP? (It was certainly higher than BG1 and EE).
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I think they took the BG2 XP rewards for disarming traps/picking locks/learning spells and divided them by 100 for BG1EE

Is that the same for Thieves? I seem to remember running an Assassin in Tutu who levelled up really fast due to having lots in Pick Locks early on. Did Tutu use BG2 trap/lock XP? (It was certainly higher than BG1 and EE).

I've just checked the bonus for locks and traps (they are stored in the file XPBONUS.2DA) and they are the same in BGEE and Tutu. Not sure, however, if this is due to some other mod I've installed or if it is just like that in plain Tutu.
  • Big_MurrayBig_Murray Member Posts: 69
    Ok ... while the haters are stupid for claiming it's wrong to charge money for the game, there's something that you said that is wrong. The game IS basically unplayable with the number of bugs.

Seriously, the new content has so many bugs in it that if I hadn't had cheat codes enabled and knew how to manipulate the console to use workarounds, the game would have broken several times over. I've had the doors not function in Hexxat's final quest, thus trapping me. Several times I've had Hexxat randomly leave the party in her ghost form when she revives and disappear, never to return again ... not to mention her becoming invincible damage fodder because she doesn't go into ghost form if she's stunned or confused. I've had Dorn's dragons disappear in his final quest. I've had Neera instantly trigger a conflict with Edwin when he joins the party causing him to disappear forever taking a vital quest item with him. I've had the new journal system randomly erase everything from its pages making itself useless. And on more than one occasion I've simply become stuck because what you're meant to do in the new quests isn't signposted very well and most of them take you to areas which you can't return from until you've completed the tasks there.

The new content is, I'm afraid, a mess.