Skip to content

Attacks per Round Swashbuckler *non issue*

13»

Comments

• BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Tanthalas said:

I think the Swashbucklers simply cater to another playstyle. They're for people who never use backstab.

A kit-less Thief that never backstabs isn't very useful.
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    The bug is in the description being misleading.

The Feature Request is allowing Swashbucklers to gain the additional APR from specializing.

Can mods split threads? Is that a thing? I hope that's a thing.
    Well, I did create an alternate thread in Feature Requests for granting Swashbucklers the ATP bonus from specialization.
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    Neato beans.
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    @Boaster: ATP bonus? What is this, biology class?

(*drum noises*)

"Thank you, thank you; I'll be here all week."
    BoasterDragonserpentDee
    You're right, I totally used the wrong letters. **APR bonus**

And no, we're not talking finances either :P
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Swashes are a thief for those who hate micromanagement. Just treat them as another fighter most of the time and pull out their abilities when there are traps/locks.

That and they're fun to roleplay
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Boaster said:

I'd rather have Backstab X5 than an Specialization, an extra AC/damage/thac0 here and there. If he actually got the attacks per round, then that might offset the backstab loss.

I think that the operative words are I'd and rather. In essence, there are different approaches to rogues and I'm glad to have the option. It's good that Boaster can make his thief fit his preferences, while others can do differently. I'm not being snarky, either - I mean that I think it's good, not snooty 'good for you'. Can't get 'tone' across in forums...

Boaster said:

I'd rather have Backstab X5 than an Specialization, an extra AC/damage/thac0 here and there. If he actually got the attacks per round, then that might offset the backstab loss.

I think that the operative words are I'd and rather. In essence, there are different approaches to rogues and I'm glad to have the option. It's good that Boaster can make his thief fit his preferences, while others can do differently. I'm not being snarky, either - I mean that I think it's good, not snooty 'good for you'. Can't get 'tone' across in forums...

Or, I'd rather have a Fighter-Thief than a Fighter-Thief light. :)
    RAM021
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited September 2012
    This is part " Rogue Rebalancing Pack " according 2E AD&D.
    Make much more sense to me.
    This is Swashbuckler what we want !

Swashbuckler

The Swashbuckler kit now uses the Fighter's THAC0 advancement table (i.e. THAC0 improves by one point at each level up) when wielding melee weapons, as described in the "Complete Thief's Handbook" 2E AD&D supplement. Note that this trait replaces the "+1 to hit per 5 levels" bonus which was present in the unmodded game. Furthermore, Swashbucklers no longer receive an innate damage bonus, cannot dual-class to Fighters (they can still dual-class to Mages or Clerics though) and can no longer benefit from an increase to the backstab multiplier provided by items (such as the revised Short Sword of Backstabbing). The updated kit description reads as follows:

SWASHBUCKLER: This rogue is part acrobat, part swordsman and part wit: the epitome of charm and grace.

Advantages:
    - Gains +1 bonus to armor class for every 5 levels
    - Uses the Fighter's THAC0 progression table while wielding melee weapons
    - Can specialize in any melee weapon that a thief can use
    - Can acquire the Whirlwind ability at higher levels
    - Can acquire the Insightful Strike ability at higher levels

Disadvantages:
    - Cannot backstab
    - Cannot dual-class to a Fighter
    - Cannot acquire the Assassination ability
    - Cannot acquire the Crippling Strike ability
    sunset00
    Sounds good. I like it. But the focus still comes back to... "I want that extra half attack per round from specialization!"
    sunset00
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I really don't think that's going to happen. But the description could certainly be clearer.

That said, I like the Rogue Rebalancing mod; I don't think I ever noticed what it did to the Swashbuckler.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited September 2012
    Boaster said:

Sounds good. I like it. But the focus still comes back to... "I want that extra half attack per round from specialization!"

Yes, i know.
    I wrote this to show that Swashbuckler IS technically fighter ( with few thief skills ) in many respects.
    So he deserve his 1/2 attacks per round !
    sunset00RAM021
    Aosaw said:

I really don't think that's going to happen. But the description could certainly be clearer.

That said, I like the Rogue Rebalancing mod; I don't think I ever noticed what it did to the Swashbuckler.

Yes, it could be.

But, regardless whether or not it happens, it SHOULD. Otherwise, the specialization is not attractive.

If the Swashbuckler is supposed to have Fighter qualities, I think this would be the way to go! It's not like I'm asking for Swashbuckler's to get the exceptional strength mod. I just want the specialization to be adjusted to grant the extra half attack per round.
    Edvinsunset00RAM021
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Ok, so the OP is a non issue. Anything else in this thread should be reposted separately if it hasn't already.