Skip to content

I really could live without ...

Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
... Xvarts.

It's probably a bit late now but couldn't we get rid of them and replace them with goblins? At least then they would offer some kind of threat because some of them could be armed with bows.

I always hate going to the Xvart village, partly because it feels like you are fighting a whole bunch of Smurfs and partly because it is such a ridiculously easy fight. I always get a sense of guilt at the end of it: I feel like I have engaged in ethnic cleansing.

Comments

• mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Word of advice: RUN!

Soon enough all the Xvart Fan Club will be here with Pitchforks and Torches :-D
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I'd agree xvarts, tasloi, kobolds, gibberlings etc all become a bit of a chore to kill off once you're some time into the game.. but most solutions I've come up with for improving that issue seem to be immersion-breaking. Maybe it'd be feasible to have one guy in every group carry all the gold and gems, so looting them would be faster.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    More people need to play the game with SCS, just see how many re-loads takes to finish the Nashkel mines if you're not prepared.
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    edited August 2012
    Xvarts rock! In fact, they need to be in every single game I play. :)
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Syntia13 said:

Or you could, you know, NOT loot them. You've just invaded their land and slaughtered them for no good reason, the least you could do is letting them rest in peace with what little possession they had.

...I'm only half kidding. After the first few playthroughs, when I had the time to just sit down and think, it bothers me quite a lot that the game is OK with killing of entire villages as long as they are not human/elves/halflings. I would like to at least have the option to talk to the guards of Xvart's village, and ask for them to grant me a passage to the upper portion of the map. I see no reason for my true neutral PC to commit genocide simply because the village was blocking the only way to some areas.
    I don't go there anymore, and if I do, I sneak through with hide-in-shadow, and/or invisibility potions... or I just cluaconsole the party to the part of the map I want to reach.
    I would be ready to do some chore for them, (maybe steal honey from the bears? ;P ) , or pay a small amount of cash.
    There is a precedence - near the gnoll fortress, some gnolls halt you and demand you pay a toll for passing through their land. If you refuse, they attack you, if you pay, they leave you well alone.
    I usually pay.
    What?
    It IS their bloody land, and I'm the intruder there. Don't judge me for my true neutral morals! :P

And that is how you can spot a true role player. Kudos to you.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Their annoyingness makes you want to kill them more.
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    Well we don't know anything about xvart culture, but we can safely assume that they stand for everything we are against, and vice versa. Also, they said we all look like dorks ... so I'm ok killing them.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    What! They look like dorks! Aaarrrggghh!!!
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    i cant imagine the journey without xvarts,gibberlings etc. simply because my weapon would go to rust:)
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    dont you insult my gibberling fellows, all cool buddies of me ya hear me:D
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Diversity is always great in a game, I like to see a vast range of weaks creatures, 'ok' creatures, strongs creatures.

I love fighting hordes of creatures, but we are not enough strong is bg1 to fight hordes of Ogre Berzerker, Ogre mages and bugbears. So, we can destroy hordes of Xvart, Tasoli, Skeleton, Gibberling, Kobold, Zombie Goblin, etc. ^^

''Within the Dungeons & Dragons universe, Xvarts are bald, blue-skinned humanoids with orange eyes. They are 3 feet (0.9 m) tall and usually wear loose cloth doublets. Xvarts live in hilly, cavernous regions, and are usually of chaotic evil / chaotic neutral alignment.

In 4th edition, Xvarts were originally gnomes enslaved and experimented on by the fomorians. They escaped to the Plane of Shadow thanks to a pact with a coven of hags, where they mutated further, their skin becoming deep blue in order to blend better with the shadows of the plane. Since then, many have spread back to the Feywild and Abeir-Toril.''

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvart ('true' References on this website also)
  • DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    @Syntia13 I would agree with you except that what is called a 'Xvart village' looks more like a warcamp. I tend to think of it as a misnomer, otherwise where are all the females and children?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think that's kind of the point, isn't it? The Xvart village is the first (and only) time where the monsters actually call you out for attacking them, and in that case they're right.

Of course, by the time Nexlit shows up, it's kind of too late. You've already killed his entire village, after all. And then the bear shows up...

It might be nice to have a conversation with them, but it would also be a bit out of character. The world of the game doesn't account for open-minded adventurers.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @DiscoCat
    DiscoCat said:

I tend to think of it as a misnomer, otherwise where are all the females and children?

Hiding in yurts, trembling in terror and praying for their men? ;)
    ...Though now I think of it, have we ever seen a female or child of any 'monster race' ? I'm sure I'd have noticed cuddly little kobold cubs if I ever came across any. :P

True that Xvarts don't have any solid looking houses like, e.g., halfling have, but to me, it looked like a nomadic camp, which made sense - when you are small and blue and most of dominant species around are big and hate your guts, living in one place where you could be easily found is not the best idea.

At this point I'd like to emphasize that I do remember that bands of Xvarts would attack me randomly in wilderness, and I have no problem dispatching of them there. I just feel there's a difference between fighting aggressors (Xvarts) in no-man's land, and fighting people who are defending their own home from aggressors (me).

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @Syntia13 You might also argue the spiders in the Cloakwood shouldn't be killed; you are after all intruding on their territory as well. Spiders are even usually neutral as opposed to xvarts who tend to be evil. I mean, it could seem bothersome that the game is OK with killing off entire populations as long as they aren't humanoid or capable of building rudimentary little houses.

And what about the kobolds in the Nashkel mines? They're usually chaotic evil just like xvarts, but maybe they're being forced to do the bidding of their dark masters and maybe there should be a quest to liberate them from the yoke of slavery so you could empty the mine without having to kill them.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Syntia13 said:

Or you could, you know, NOT loot them. You've just invaded their land and slaughtered them for no good reason, the least you could do is letting them rest in peace with what little possession they had.

...I'm only half kidding. After the first few playthroughs, when I had the time to just sit down and think, it bothers me quite a lot that the game is OK with killing of entire villages as long as they are not human/elves/halflings. I would like to at least have the option to talk to the guards of Xvart's village, and ask for them to grant me a passage to the upper portion of the map. I see no reason for my true neutral PC to commit genocide simply because the village was blocking the only way to some areas.
    I don't go there anymore, and if I do, I sneak through with hide-in-shadow, and/or invisibility potions... or I just cluaconsole the party to the part of the map I want to reach.
    I would be ready to do some chore for them, (maybe steal honey from the bears? ;P ) , or pay a small amount of cash.
    There is a precedence - near the gnoll fortress, some gnolls halt you and demand you pay a toll for passing through their land. If you refuse, they attack you, if you pay, they leave you well alone.
    I usually pay.
    What?
    It IS their bloody land, and I'm the intruder there. Don't judge me for my true neutral morals! :P

The xvarts are one step above mildly intelligent ants. I make a fur coat out of their bear god. Wiping the blue goo off my boots at the end of battle is a chore.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606

I always get a sense of guilt at the end of it: I feel like I have engaged in ethnic cleansing.

Really? I always get a sense of satisfaction at the end of it for the same reason. Xvarts are annoying pests that need to be cleansed, like lawyers and politicians.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Syntia13 said:

I usually pay.
    What?

I don't just because one of those guys has the Gauntlets of Dexterity. 'Nuff said.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    Xvarts are there to dominate all the mankind so they must be slain!
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    edited August 2012
    @Quartz
    Quartz said:

I don't just because one of those guys has the Gauntlets of Dexterity. 'Nuff said.

The guys you think of are ogrillons at the bridge on gnoll fortress map. I meant the gnolls in wilderness map east of there.

Also, killing things to take their stuff? Shame on you, Maude. ;P (thumbs up for people who get the reference)

@Shin
    Shin said:

You might also argue the spiders in the Cloakwood shouldn't be killed; you are after all intruding on their territory as well.

True, but you can't reason with, or even talk to spiders. I will just quote another fandom's catchphrase:
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
    and rest my case. :)

• AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416

... Xvarts.

It's probably a bit late now but couldn't we get rid of them and replace them with goblins? At least then they would offer some kind of threat because some of them could be armed with bows.

I always hate going to the Xvart village, partly because it feels like you are fighting a whole bunch of Smurfs and partly because it is such a ridiculously easy fight. I always get a sense of guilt at the end of it: I feel like I have engaged in ethnic cleansing.

As an on-and-off DM, I can say that this reminds me of an important tactic of mine:

Every so often, I have my party fight X number of weak creatures. It helps them understand how powerful they are, as that can become difficult after 30+ sessions of relatively balanced battles. Xvarts are around for early experience. Beyond that, they are a reminder; and an amusing one, at that. I don't feel bad about engaging in an "ethnic cleansing" of such a wild, weak, and loud species.

• FavreFavre Member Posts: 33

I don't feel bad about engaging in an "ethnic cleansing" of such a wild, weak, and loud species.

I think every genocide in this world is based on that quote. :P
    Favre said:

I don't feel bad about engaging in an "ethnic cleansing" of such a wild, weak, and loud species.

I think every genocide in this world is based on that quote. :P

Actually, it's often based on "impurity" and difference of religion. I really shouldn't have to feel like Hitler just because I am killing a race of monsters that attack me on sight while I'm in a fantasy world aka a video game.
  • n0classn0class Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2012
    I think whenever one says Hitler-y things it is a cause for concern. Genocide or "ethnic cleansing" is never a laughing matter. How one acts in a videogame is very telling of their true beliefs, I believe. Aside from your love of genocide and dislike of "impurity", do you and Hitler share any other noteable traits? Perhaps you need to do a self evaluation? Hatred isn't cool, man*
    edited August 2012
    n0class said:

I think whenever one says Hitler-y things it is a cause for concern. Genocide or "ethnic cleansing" is never a laughing matter. How one acts in a videogame is very telling of their true beliefs, I believe. Aside from your love of genocide and dislike of "impurity", do you and Hitler share any other noteable traits? Perhaps you need to do a self evaluation? Hatred isn't cool, man*

So you believe that all people who play any Grand Theft Auto games are psychotic and evil? Isn't that an ignorant assumption? In real life, I am not the Lawful Good crusader that I often play in video games.

I never mentioned a love of genocide or dislike of impurity. I also never mentioned that hatred is cool.

You believe that every genocide in the world is based on the following video game quote from me: "I don't feel bad about engaging in an "ethnic cleansing" of such a wild, weak, and loud species."

I responded with:

"Actually, it's often based on "impurity" and difference of religion. I really shouldn't have to feel like Hitler just because I am killing a race of monsters that attack me on sight while I'm in a fantasy world aka a video game."

As in, (from what I've read in history books at least) genocide has more in common with a difference of philosophy/religion and "impurities" than it does with a "wild, weak, and loud species."

If you are going to try and assassinate my character by comparing me to Hitler and passively referring to me as a hateful, genocidal, and evil person, I'd really appreciate it if you at least took the time to read my posts in their entirety as opposed to just taking bits and pieces in order to make it seem like for every action I take in a video game, I must take an equal action in real life.

It's a shame how some people such as yourself are unable or unwilling to separate the fantasy world of gaming from the real world that we live in.
  • n0classn0class Member Posts: 10
    It's proven in statistics that people who have violent fantasies are more likely to commit violent crimes probably most of the time, man. That you're fantasizing about genocide and killing "impure" people is a bit of a problem, don't you think so? And that you attempt to justify it with these ramblings/lies of yours is appalling.

You're resorting to ad hominem attacks in order to deflect and misdirect attention from your clearly sick, sadistic thoughts.. This is yet another sign of your violent and vicious nature. I will have no part of some insult battle, good sir... Just let me help you man.. All I want is to help you. It's not your fault
    edited August 2012
    n0class said:

It's proven in statistics that people who have violent fantasies are more likely to commit violent crimes probably most of the time, man. That you're fantasizing about genocide and killing "impure" people is a bit of a problem, don't you think so? And that you attempt to justify it with these ramblings/lies of yours is appalling.

You're resorting to ad hominem attacks in order to deflect and misdirect attention from your clearly sick, sadistic thoughts.. This is yet another sign of your violent and vicious nature. I will have no part of some insult battle, good sir... Just let me help you man.. All I want is to help you. It's not your fault

Taken from another thread:
    n0class said:

Playing an evil party specifically so that I could light off fireball spells in taverns and circus tents.. this game is awesome. Also, telling Melicamp the talking chicken I'd take him to Thalantyr then proceeding, instead, to sell this chicken for 25 gp at Feldepost's inn... mmm talking chicken breast.. this game is awesome.

And you have just revealed that you are a bottom-feeding troll with the sole purpose in life of griefing others. I will not be contacting you in the future, and should that not be mutual I will be reporting you for harassment.