Skip to content

Is there any downside to sleeping in BG?

Sorry for separate post, but kind of needed this answered...

Is there any reason NOT to sleep in game? Does it progress the story, as I have seen some scripted bits pop up while sleeping and I have learned a new ability.
The reason I ask is I have a lot of things I need to identify... Instead of paying 100gl for each item, I was thinking of sleeping, then using my identify spell, sleep again, use identify spell and so on. I just don't want to trigger something important in game to early by sleeping a lot.

Thanks I'm advance.

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    You will have noticed a few dream sequences (after which u gained a new ability). These happen the first time u rest after u enter a new chapter.

Otherwise as u know from the Kivan situation (and rescuing Dynaheir), there are some quests that have timers, but those should be pretty clear.

When you have no time-urgent quests, u can rest as much as u want. Roleplay strict players have reasons to both rest and not rest.

For example I don't like resting in the middle of a dungeon (like the Nashkel Mines), which seems unrealistic. I do rest when I don't need to sometimes just so that I begin a day's journey in the morning... and why not give the company a day off every now and then after all that hard adventuring work. :)

But in terms of game mechanics, there is little danger in resting often, and resting to memorise Identify is totally justifiable. Although later on in the game, you'll have so much gold u won't know what to do with it anyway. :)
    QuartzJuliusBorisov
  • memphis12memphis12 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks again for fast great reply. Yeah, I don't like resting in a dungeon etc as I too feel it's unrealistic ... Unless there's a small room, but usually I prefer to rest at an inn after a few beers lol.

Well, I'll get my times identified then :-) I've played most of the game up until this point with basic gear!mall this shiny new blue gear is making me very curious.
    Heindrich
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Generally speaking, no. The major game progression is linked to your actions in-game rather than time.
    If you need a lot IDing, your best bet is to change all of your spell slots to Identify and do it in as few sleeps as possible.

To be honest with you though, those few 100s mean very little in the long run. You'll pretty soon have more money than you could ever spend.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Besides the timed quests some NPCs have and you already seem to be familiar with, there are no downsides to sleep a lot for identifying. Some people rest for days to get NPC quests or advance romance talks, or to spawn new enemies in certain areas to farm XP. As long as you know all NPCs are satisfied (or have no timed quest), you can rest for pretty much any reason.
    memphis12 said:

Thanks again for fast great reply. Yeah, I don't like resting in a dungeon etc as I too feel it's unrealistic ... Unless there's a small room, but usually I prefer to rest at an inn after a few beers lol.

You're welcome, no need to say 'sorry' for starting a new thread. It's what the forum is for, and since this question is separate to the first, then a new thread is totally justified. I asked a LOT of noobie questions on the New Players section a few months ago, and everyone helped me even though I wasn't (initially) even playing Enhanced Edition, so I am just continuing the virtuous cycle. :)

I will say however that there are separate child categories that might have been more appropriate for your questions, namely 'BG: EE discussions' and 'New Players (NO SPOILERS)'. Though u don't seem to be overly bothered about spoilers as u played BG 2 before, and you are certainly not alone in just going straight to General Discussion. This is an issue we are looking at, and will likely change in the future.

Oh, and when I played blind, I didn't know how long a dungeon would go on for, so when I felt that I had to rest, I'd find a room with a door and close it before I try to rest. I imagine that the company barricades themselves in the room and take turns keeping watch whilst everyone else sleeps. I swear closing doors reduced the number of sleep interruptions I got, though I got no idea if that's just a happy coincidence or game design :)
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Heindrich said:

For example I don't like resting in the middle of a dungeon (like the Nashkel Mines), which seems unrealistic. I do rest when I don't need to sometimes just so that I begin a day's journey in the morning... and why not give the company a day off every now and then after all that hard adventuring work. :)

One of the things i like less than I should about the game is the whole travel system. "It took you 20 hours to get to your destination", and now you are fatigued. Which actually translates into negative combat factors.

• LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    AFAIK the most severe penalties for sleeping occur in Underdark when you have very strict time limits to meet either Phaere or Solaufein.
    Arizael
    @Lathlaer - with a tiny bit of meta-gaming, you can avoid the worst of that. But yeah, they went a bit overboard with the tight deadlines in that portion of the game.
    @the_spyder Yeah, try to do it without a cleric in your party :D That's actually mostly why I take one with me. Not for the spells, because I can manage without them, but seeing "You have rested for 68 days and 8 hours" after being hit several times is really immension breaking.
    Cantabjackjack
    edited January 2014

Heindrich said:

One of the things i like less than I should about the game is the whole travel system. "It took you 20 hours to get to your destination", and now you are fatigued. Which actually translates into negative combat factors.

@the_spyder

I see no issue (RP-wise) with resting upon arrival at a new area. It is a bit annoying if I arrive in the morning though...
    BelgarathMTH
    I often push my characters forward even if they are fatigued. It just feels right — "common guys, be strong, it's not much further! We don't have time to rest!". I imagine 80% of LoTR the Fellowship was fatigued :P
    @Lathlaer

"I have just about seen enough waking hours, slave-driver."
    BelgarathMTH
    Heindrich said:

@the_spyder

I see no issue (RP-wise) with resting upon arrival at a new area. It is a bit annoying if I arrive in the morning though...

I don't have a problem with resting upon arrival either. Where I do have a problem is when they say "Your journey to 2 days and 14 hours" or whatever, and you didn't rest. Try going from the final section of Cloakwood back to the Friendly Arm Inn sometime. It's brutal.

I've talked before about a mechanic that I think would have worked better, but am not going to rehash it here.

• fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    edited January 2014
    The downside is that bandits might kick you in the head until you're dead.
    CrevsDaakthe_spyderRoarFredjo
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Heindrich said:

"We only come out at night…"
    http://vimeo.com/m/52662660
    Heindrich
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    What passes for beds in the lower end Inns always leave me with a back ache that lasts half the day. I'm pretty sure this lowers both my dex and charisma considerably as it is not only painful - it makes me extremely grumpy...
    jackjackSCARY_WIZARDJuliusBorisov
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    edited February 2014
    I don't really think resting inside most of the dungeons is unrealistic, it's not as if everyone is contantly scrying on you otherwise all Sarevok would have needed was hiring a diviner then teleporting directly to your level 1 party fresh out of Candlekeep.
    It only doesn't make sense when it's a place like Cloakwood mines that has lots of guards on patrol. Many also have areas where you could barricade yourself, and Invisibility literally lasts for 24 hours.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    i only really do it in a dungeon under the biggest emergency, like having no breach when I need it for a mage (i was using SCS so no interupting with an arrow before the protection). i also think a bit about the dungeon I am in. maybe there is somewhere that would be more safe. I might sleep in the light room in the shadow temple to stay safe from the shadows for example. anyway sleeping in a dungeon already presents the danger of having it interupted, so it is not like there is no risk there.
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    Lathlaer said:

AFAIK the most severe penalties for sleeping occur in Underdark when you have very strict time limits to meet either Phaere or Solaufein.

Which is why this part of the game is probably the most interesting one. There should be realy more timed events. I mean most of the game is like: Sorry Imoen, but I realy need to identify all these arrows u can wait 3 days more.

• AnimusRexAnimusRex Member Posts: 37
    I'll exploit sleeping in a game where I go full cheese mode to keep from using all my heal spells and to refresh all of my abilities before big fights. Other than that I do what others do, and don't sleep in dungeons even if fatigued, while having the game set to highest difficulty with monsters doing double damage.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    Sleeping with dungeon is an issue in dungeons populated by intelligent being. Like cloakwood mines. So you have slaughtered anyone in level 1 and 2 but davaevorn just waits for you to come and kill him. In durlag or watchers keep it is a lot less of a problem.

Also, for balance purpose, avoiding rest after every kobold makes things much more fun (if you are willing to sleep all the time mages are even more OP than what they are supposed to be)
    Heindrich
  • CantabCantab Member Posts: 56
    Lathlaer said:

@the_spyder Yeah, try to do it without a cleric in your party :D That's actually mostly why I take one with me. Not for the spells, because I can manage without them, but seeing "You have rested for 68 days and 8 hours" after being hit several times is really immension breaking.

Yip, this pretty much the only reason why I take a Cleric or Druid with me.
    @mlnevese
    @mumumomo seems to more or less share my reasoning on the matter. I make a distinction between 'active dungeons' and 'passive dungeons'.

Active ones are those with sentient/intelligent inhabitants who would respond to an incursion. For example the Iron Throne HQ, the BG 1 Mines, Sendai's Enclave etc... where it makes little sense that the enemy would not respond with overwhelming force and attempt to drive you out in the 8 hours you've decided to rest.

Passive ones are more like 'Tomb raiding', for example Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep. Not only are they way too big to attempt in one go without rest, it makes perfect sense for a party to advance slowly and cautiously through the death-trap filled nightmares...
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Ah I don't use rest until fully healed because I don't like resting for days on end...
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Heindrich There's a huge difference between exploring a fortress and an abandoned Dungeon... What you describe is a fortress and the best tactic in this case is the quick in, quick out. No time to explore, go in, complete your mission, get out fast.
    Cantab said:

Lathlaer said:

Yip, this pretty much the only reason why I take a Cleric or Druid with me.
    I bring a cleric along because of...... Viconia.... What's not to love?

Seriously, I admit that my clerics are mostly heal-bots. However, it's always nice to have an extra tank-like party member. Properly equipped, Viccy and Anomen and Branwen can all be fairly formidable in their own way. They don't dole out the type of damage that Minsc or Dorn does, but they don't have too because I have either Minsc or Dorn or Keldorn around anyway.

Plus, I'm old school, and the original party composition was 1 each of cleric, magic user and thief, plus two or three fighter types. It's classic and most adventures were balanced around that combination (in PnP). but hey, if you can get by without it, why not? It's all in fun.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I hardly memorize any healing spells after bg1 because I find potions more efficient but in bg1 healing spells are still useful. That said I usually have my priest carry a few rods of resurrection and memorize heal a couple of times and I also upgrade hindo's doom.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited February 2014

That's one reason why I break travel into "bits", i.e. go no farther than a 16 hour journey (unless it's one of the screens that's a 20+ hour journey from anywhere).

I also try not to rest in dungeons, although I do rest in the Nashkel mines...

but only on the 2nd level in the room with the guards where you give Kylee his dagger.
    the_spyderJuliusBorisov