Skip to content

That's why i don't like magic in this game

Lets say you are a sorcerer, and you want to cast one level 9 spell.

-Pause the game
-Click the "Cast Spell Icon" on the action bar
-Click the "next->" arrow
-Click the "next->" arrow ONCE AGAIN (lol)
-Click the spell you want and cast it.

Too much work to cast one spell.

What if you want to cast 3 level 9, 2 level 8 and 3 level 7 spells?

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    quickslots?
  • TaearTaear Member Posts: 90
    You can put them on the hotbar if they're commonly cast, like Breach or Summon Planetar.
  • knight1337knight1337 Member Posts: 32
    deltago said:

quickslots?

There's only 3 quickslots...
  • TaearTaear Member Posts: 90

deltago said:

quickslots?

There's only 3 quickslots...
    There's only 3 spells you ever need to cast, so problem solved!
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    Welcome to RPG's, enjoy your stay.
  • golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    edited February 2014
    I played through BG2 my first time as a conjurer with three other mages and never once used the quickspell slots. Hitting next is not that big a deal. And there are definitely way more than three important spells!

Although I must say, it is very annoying that in EE there are gaps in your list of spells. What up with that?
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Well I don't see how you can avoid this problem without making the UI buttons much smaller or simplifying the magic system. I certainly don't want the latter.
    Oh, Aerie was awesome. Definitely worth it, even though the next button started to get tired and demand overtime.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    golingarf said:

Although I must say, it is very annoying that in EE there are gaps in your list of spells. What up with that?

They're supposed to represent the gaps between the F keys on the keyboard- you can hit those instead of clicking the spell icon to cast.

Oh. I thought it was just a lazy buggy thing. Now that I know someone did it on purpose, it's even more annoying.
  • beingmarkhbeingmarkh Member Posts: 42
    If you're having this much frustration with a sorcerer, then I very much recommend not playing a wild mage. Cast a dweomer at high level and you'll be hitting that "next" button ten or twelve times.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    I can't believe what type of answers the OP is getting here.

Absolute rubbish!

"Just suck it up!", "Don't play Casters!", etc!

The OP has a point, and I really think everyone knows it. I really HATE the spellcasting system of BG. It is wearisome to buff, buff, buff from up to 6 different sources! Then rest, repeat!

GAHHHHHH!

There *are* ways to make spellcasting easier and better, of course! They could have included a lot more quickslots - just press shift, and a new "bank" appears, that you can load with spells, for example (ala NWN). Heck, tie it in with the Numpad for spell speed-dialing (ala NWN). Or use a quickspell menu ala NWN2.

Yes, it would require a UI modification. But I really do not think it would be all that hard, especially not with a game that is as old and primitive as BG is.

There is a great little item for NWN and for NWN2 - the Rod of Spellstoring/Casting and Rod of Party Buffing. It allows one to create your buffs all in one neat little button. Press, poof!

Such as that could have been done for BG, you know. You have 3! Quickslots, right? So why not just make it so that one can put as many spells as one likes in ONE quickslot, from different sources (not just spells, but also items?). Like a Queue. Now you have 3 different slots to put different spell buffs for different occassions/encounters in, instead of just ONE spell.

Press, bam! You still have to wait the time, but at least you can be doing some other things while it is doing it's thing, right? Like sip coffee, answer IM, pick your nose...whatever.

• enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Yeah I don't like it either. Also the quickbar isn't much of a rescue if you're a dual/multi. Hell, it's not much of a rescue even when you can put a whole THREE spells on it. What kind of rousing success of a magic system do we have if you only care to cast three different spells out of, two hundred?

This is why I don't play sorcerers. Mages can just spam memo one spell for each level so you can scroll past them faster.

I keep telling myself they weren't allowed to change this to something more modern. It BETTER be the case.
    Nah, that isn't the case. One can do such things in BG - we have Spell Sequencer, remember? One can expand on that, and create for example an item that will spell sequence alot of buffs, for example. This is how some enterprising Modders for NWN and NWN2 created those Rods, for example (because in NWN there are items that allows spell sequencing - Isaacs Robes).

Then it is just a matter of scripting.

Can one attach the Spell Sequencer to an item in BG? Perhaps someone good at Modding BG could create something similar...

The Devs could, of course.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @WebShaman is so right. They learned going into NWN and made the system much better.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Yeah but even the current system could be okay if we could just have less antiquated keybinds. Control, shift and alt modifiers. Mouse buttons.

Voice recognition.

Telepathic link.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I've never once had any problems with current spellcasting system. It's ok, if once wish it could be improved upon, but there are things in both BG:EE and BG2:EE that requite attention first.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    I recall that in vanilla BG you could set up hotkeys for use within the game with an external configuration application. Sadly, there is no external configuration application in BGEE. Might be possible to set them manually in some *.ini file but I never tried, since nowadays I almost always use custom AI scripts that cast spells autonomously.
    God said:

Might be possible to set them manually in some *.ini file but I never tried, since nowadays I almost always use custom AI scripts that cast spells autonomously.

Huh! So that is why prayers are not being answered anymore.

Go figure!

;)

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i love just casting spells
    especially the endless buffing sessions which need to be done properly (spell choice, sequence etc.) it's a game within a game!
    Yeah? Sort of like that game where you have to press the flashing buttons in the correct order, right?
    *bleh*

As you level up, the sequence of button presses gets more and more complicated...finger yoga, anyone?
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited February 2014
    @WebShaman makes a good point. As you level up in BG2, the amount of pre-buffing becomes a bit ridiculous. I had 3 arcane casters in my party, so by the endgame it was 3 Spell Triggers, 3 Spell Sequencers, 3 Minor Sequencers and 3 Contingencies, plus PfEvil, Resist Fear and Chaotic Commands as long term buffs.

I did think that it would be nice to have a short-cut that did my usual routine automatically. I like the complexity of the magic system, but it does get a bit tedious at times.

Edit: I mitigated the issue somewhat by using sequencers as an emergency reserve (realistic rest rules) when facing a really tough battle, so didn't use them often, which meant that I normally only needed to set them up at the end of a boss battle.
    edited February 2014
    WebShaman said:

Yeah? Sort of like that game where you have to press the flashing buttons in the correct order, right?

yeah! no i'm kidding...

The only solution to teh clicking nightmare i've ever been able to think of is the following:

- add a toggleable two- or three-row sidebar (right or left side, selectable) containing **all spell and special ability buttons combined** (spells, item special abilities, class/char special abilities, temporary special abilities)
    - it could be in the same visual style as quickloot and the toggle button could also be the same, maybe blue or green this time around. the button could sit on the right side of the log as opposed to the ql button.
    - the feature will be called quickabilities and have it's own hotkey too ofc.
    - upon quickabilities toggle-on, the normal hotkeys are suspended and replaced with quickabilities hotkeys alphabetically corresponding to each button - so that the first spell would be (a) etc.
    - these hotkeys would actually be displayed on-screen, next to the button boxes, relatively discretely
    - spells are cast and abilities activated either by clicking the button or pressing the alphabetical hotkey
    - when the spell/ability is used up, the box remains empty and the hotkey unused so that the alphabetical sequence and spatial layout would be preserved

this would reduce the amount of mouse clicking by ~73% and all required inputs by ~38%.

edit: a sidebar is better because today's displays have a lot of usable horizontal space

also, maybe add numbers to the alphabetical order, before or after the letters. the number of spells and abilities combined will well exceed 30 for some characters; select characters via mouse.

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Magic is for the intelligent and the patient.

It takes time and effort to cast the right spell at the right time.
    *look at screen*
    *click button*

*eat potato chip*

Yup, time and effort, no doubt about it.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Iirc, the old games used to have what looked like a way to map any key to any spell in the out-of-game settings utilities - I never really fiddled with those so I'm not sure they actually did that. Does those no longer exist? I also remember reading on the intarneat how somebody had used a 3rd party program to then tie these keys to custom voice commands, which seemed useful.
    edited February 2014
    it exists but it's a bit of a pain the ass to use
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    NwN2 had the best solution of all the DnD games.
    Press F for Quickcast, click spell, click target. Done.

Though the DnD games are meant to be played with the pause button.
    Though the UI in all the infinity games except IWDII is just unintuitive.