Skip to content

Boo's NPC Polls Part 3: Who do you think is the Coolest Cleric?

2»

Comments

• dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    Aerie, just because what OP wrote in the brackets made me smile. She's so darned cute when she says that "faster than.." line, I can forgive her more high-strung moments.
  • KalesraKalesra Member Posts: 234
    I pick him largely for sentimental reasons. He was in my first playthrough of BG2 and has been in almost all of them since (other than a solo and a playthrough with only a fighter/mage and Viconia). I even bring him along when I play a cleric because I can't turn him down. :P I've played the chaotic neutral path with him once for RP reasons, but when he gets the stat bump from passing his test he's a pretty good cleric who can also take a beating and lay down the law on some miscreants with the Flail of Many Heads. And I just like him as a character. He's an arrogant jerk sometimes, but it's really just insecurity and his shitty childhood.

Viconia is a close second for me. She's been my cleric for all of my BG playthroughs and one of my BG2 playthroughs. Her magic resistance is pretty useful and her high dexterity makes her really hard to hit once you're able to boost her strength enough that she can wear full plate. But again...I also just like her character.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I never understood the love of Branwen, I must say. Mechanically, she was nothing exceptional. As for her writing... Well.. I know that none of the BG1 NPCs had much, but literally all she did was say that fighting was fun, and not nearly with as much idiosyncrasy as Shar-Teel or Minsc did. She's super dull, if you ask me.

I trust Viconia will win by a long shot here, being marvellous as she is.

My utter disdain for Aerie should be treated as a -1 vote for her, so great it is. :P
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited February 2014
    Xzar. Always Xzar. He makes so much sense as a dualed necro/cleric. I've posted several times how I see his development from a necromancer to a "godless" cleric, searching insights about life and death in the divine. It's the most natural dual development possible to me.
    Mechanically, he's the best of all worlds. Tomes make him surpass every other cleric in BG1, and his stats also outshine the others - enough strength to carry a shield (and before dualing, to use throwing daggers), good dex, still better con than Viconia.

Branwen in BG1 and Anomen in BG2 land on rank 2 and 3, but no cleric will ever push Xzar off his throne.
    Post edited by KidCarnival on
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I totally knew KidCarnival's choice, lol.

I totally knew KidCarnival's choice, lol.

THEN Y U NO GIVE ME XZAR OPTION?! :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    That voice…
  • RewolfRewolf Member Posts: 102
    Having only played Baldurs Gate 1 up to now, it's a close call between Branwen and Yeslick for me. I love me dwarfs, but Branwen just got her almighty battle cry in her favor!
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    edited February 2014
    Viccy! She is of a different race, hated and persecuted (always sympathized with these traits). She is wild and bold, which is very nice actually (few women, especially video game NPCs, are so daring, honest and straightforward with themselves and others). Also, she is the only one premade CLERIC NPC that can become of neutral alignment. Most of the times, i go for her.
    Post edited by Demonoid_Limewire on
  • Gotta love a Tempus/Tempos worshipper :D
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I'm honestly shocked at how few votes Anomen has received. One of several surprises in these polls
  • HerrderGezeitenHerrderGezeiten Member Posts: 139
    Branwen -> A stone statue a f****** stone statue, how great must probably be the story behind it?
    * Imagination wins! *

Aerie (my romance for good CharN )

Viconia (my romance for evil CharN )
  • CaradocCaradoc Member Posts: 92
    I voted Vicconia, but I could have just as easily voted Anomen.

Anomen seems surely at the first glance a jerk, but I like how he changes for the better if you help him to become a knight. In particular if you have both anomen and Keldron in the same group, its really cool to notice the change in his character from the most arrogant SoB to this loyal and trusted friend.

And Vicconia is just full of mystery and has a rich backstory. Its intresting how judgementall whole forgotten realms is. Not judge a book by it's cover is not a popular saying there.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Viconia, although I prefer to use her primarily as a spellcaster and keep her out of combat. Anomen is the most powerful of the lot, but personality-wise he's a bit hard to take.

I'm honestly shocked at how few votes Anomen has received. One of several surprises in these polls

The cleric poll is definitely the most surprising one.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    I love Anomen, he is by far the coolest out of all of them

I do not understand how people find him annoying. My definition of annoying is Neera
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 209
    Branwen (By Valkur´s mighty blade!)

A great character with perhaps the most inspiring battle cry ( especially in comparison to Viconia in BG1 - Viconia´s shady whispers and the occasional "the light, it burns" leave me in a mood where I ´d hope to play some uber assasin, actually not failing my stealth and being sure that whenever I am waylaid by enemies I could in my defence just chill out and deal with it in some other fashion than desperately running in circles and trying, in vain, to hide in shadows) and whose portrait reminds me of Valeria from the great movie Conan the Barbarian.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Aerie, the only love a gnome in the series can ever know...
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Aerie and Branwen are tied! I picked Aerie because contingencies and sequencers.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Anduin said:

She's attracted to men who remind her of Quayle, I suppose.
    Coutelier said:

Anduin said:

Considering he's her adoptive father... that is rather... strange.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282

Coutelier said:

Anduin said:

Oh no; it's all perfectly normal according to pop-psychology.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Coutelier said:

Coutelier said:

Anduin said:

Oh no; it's all perfectly normal according to pop-psychology.
    Charname: "I don't know whether to feel charmed or...insulted..."