Skip to content

The "30 days of Baldur's Gate"

CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
Hi there gamers, err, I mean GATERS!

It will be 1 month till BGEE next week. 7 days plus one month and we are there. Now that is a LONG wait! People might remember what I did last time I had to wait 24 hours - a marathon, playing Baldur's Gate.

I know not all of you want to play BG now, in fact I am sure plenty want to keep their Baldursgatometer at 0 so that they get the full hype for the Enhanced Edition. I for one like to keep it at 1000% at all times! And to WASTE my time, I will do all kinds of.... (drumroll please?)

BALDUR'S GATE CHALLENGES!

This compilation of challenges being the "30 days of Baldur's Gate". Why 30 if it's 37 though? Because I'll technically be away for almost two weeks in September and at that time, things will move fast for me.

I want, not only me, but EVERYONE that enjoys playing the best RPG ever to make RIDICULOUS things... just for the fun of it (and the replayability of the game!). And that are challenges. So my question - what would be your own challenge to make time pass faster till BGEE? Would you post about it and try it out to make this thread feel alive, and make others read the stories about the legends of your deeds?

I would! Feed me some wine and call me a drunkman, I am entering with a challenge that came in my mind by reading threads. My challenge, for me, is the : RESCUE CHALLENGE! -- where I have to collect 20,000 or 15,000 gold in BG2 as soon as possible and rescue Imoen. Keeping us both alive through the Underdark on a kind of low level, with minimal gear! Easy? Well, I guess that with the right preparation, it could be.

So what would YOUR challenge be? Let's make this boring month and a week pass faster shall we?!

Comments

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    edited August 2012
    hmmm, play though the game at max difficulty with just a bard and dyhenir. if bard aren't available in bg1 (i play bgt), then use a mage of the same build as dyhenir. Besides starting spells/stats, you are only allowed 10 spells in your spell book (if you have to use a mage, then 10 for pc and 10 for dyhenir). This isn't per level, this is total.

Finally, to make it just a bit harder, no rerolling on char creation. first roll, you're done, no matter how high/low.

edit: wait, there are bards in bg1. i think it was Garrick that was a bard? also, i like to be evil irl, and try tog ive the best challenge i can :) one more note, no spaming monster summon/followers. You can summon a monster/creature/skelly and dyhenir can summon one, but no more. Once that spell expires, you can summon again as desired, but no summoning a clone army.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Bjjorick : nice! It would be interesting to try out, especially with the 10 spells limit (a bard seems almost a necessity for that I feel)

Will definitely consider it as soon as I finish (or fail) my rescue challenge :p
    mmmm, if you want something that has a much higher chance of failure then success, let me know. i love to challenge myself and would be more then happy to give you suggestions.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Sadly Ill have precious little time to play the old versions....much as I wish it were otherwise, my reality at this stage of life is "Free" time is more precious and dear and rare to me than money :P

Sadly Ill have precious little time to play the old versions....much as I wish it were otherwise, my reality at this stage of life is "Free" time is more precious and dear and rare to me than money :P

while i don't have alot of free time either, anytime you want to trade a lil freetime for a lil money, let me know :)
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    You dont know how much I wish I had the option. *sigh* The things one has to do to earn a living :P
    @immagikman amen brother, but thank God my wife is understanding of my need to play games, my sons play games like daddy, and we enjoy some old mario 3 and others. it makes gaming family time, but hehe, still i'll play a good single player rpg 2 or 3 times a year, like baldur's gate or dragon age of ffx
  • GarmGarm Member Posts: 67
    edited August 2012
    Actually I'm playing BG1 now. I couldn't wait for the release of the EE...too much nostalgia with the announcement of this edition.

I'm not following any challenge in particular but I'm using this playthrough to try new NPCs and a few mods (like the BG1 NPC Project - Warning: don't infiltrate the Bandit Camp with Kivan lol).
  • RunarielRunariel Member Posts: 13
    Keep the challenges simple: Play through the whole game without EVER pausing, EVER selling, EVER buying, EVER raising the dead, EVER using ranged weapons, EVER using SPELLS or EVER being sober.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    Runariel said:

or EVER being sober.

Both ingame and in real life.
    on the sober comment, i have to ask.

what does being intoxicated/fatigued do. it never really seemed to make a difference, so sometimes i went a week before resting, as i manage my spells pretty well. would be a nice addition for your chars to pass out if you went too long, get sick, something.
    edited August 2012
    IIRC, being fatigued bestows a cumulative penalty on the character's luck. Not sure about intoxication, though: I should check the manual.

IIRC, being fatigued bestows a cumulative penalty on the character's luck. Not sure about intoxication, though: I should check the manual.

now, when you say cumulative, do you mean in game or in 2e rules? as i said, i never noticed in game a difference, maybe hit a little less, but never seemed to get worse. and imho, intoxication never lasted long enough to have much effect. would be nice if it did have an effect and you could carry alcohal with you, sort of a confience booster on the cheap. get drunk, no moral failures. :)
    @AndreaColombo : I don't know exactly about being drunk but I always noticed a -1 penalty to hit when being fatigued. Kind of a big deal early on in the game.

PS - I don't think I can do the drunk challenge simply because I don't drink alcohol. So no thanks XD

I *am* thinking about killing Drizzt with Garrick... is it possible? Hmm...
    Actually, I thought you did get the tired penalty when drunk, but I'm not really sure anymore. Instead of playing the game without EVER being sober in real life, what about playing through BH+ without EVER go to the toilet?
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited August 2012
    This sounds like fun - i have a few ideas
    Run through ideas (feel free to combine 2 or more of this for extra challenge):

1. A completely naked full solo run through - no items equipped whatsoever, except when required for the plot and then removed immediately afterwords.
    Weapons and shields are the only thing you are allowed. -Pick your class

2. Speed run - try to beat the best non-toolassisted time on speeddemos.

3. Wild mage playthough with no saving/loading except to take a break from playing.

4. Low reputation run - get you rep as low as possible (1 or 0) as fast as possible, while still being able to talk to plot npcs and keep it there- you can never equip boots of speed.

5. Kobold run - clua console your whole party into kobolds and keep them there.

6. Minimum possible hit points run - reload on each level up until you get 1 hp.

7. No resting - play through the entire game without resting once

8. Pacifist run through: kill absolutely nothing that doesn't advance the plot.

9. Bear run through: Make a party of druids, shapeshift them into bears. Stay in bear shape the entire game - you can swtich back when absolutely necessary, but you are not allowed into combat ,or if you are thrust into combat, not allowed to do any action except turn into bear form.

10. Low stat roll - set every statistic to 3 then solo the game.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Play as a monk with maximum difficulty and solo run.
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    Play through the game as a naked wizard slayer.
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    Alternating the focus of my cRPG urges by thinking about BG1&2,IWD1&2 and NWN in an attempt to keep my nostalgia bladder from bursting. Luckily beamdog had OpenTTD in their catalogue so there is some nostalgia realese although it`s no RPG. OMD2 seems to help abit too but i want to play BG:ee now. But i have to wait for the ee, can`t do vanilla. don`t want to read up on mod install orders again. must resist.

I have been thinking of all sorts of parties and ways of playing though, some of them challenging but mostly just silly. Spent ages entertaining myself with trying out names for a naked monk. Think that was because of a lack of sleep. Is it posible to cuda CHARNAME into a xvart ? if the attack sound also changes then the challenge would be to play for as long as possible with the sound on before sticking pencils in the ears to end it all. Or maybe a beastmaster solo run?
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Starting out at first level, win with a party of only mages.
    Man so many awesome challenges! Am I the only one that will have to play them tho? XD
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    The no rest (for the wicked?) challenge looks very interesting :) it would probably be best with a group of fighters/paladins and rangers since spell casters won't be able to rest and recall spells - maybe keep one mage in the party to use scrolls in some of the more difficult battles... (probably make the PC a dual classed level 1 wizard/fighter X) all healing would have to come from potions and temple visits... money will be a huge issue.
    I've been working my Garrick to glory, making him a stronger character, to be able to kill Drizzt. Would like to point out that @AndreaColombo 's challenge has a few holes all around the place.

"Kill Drizzt with Garrick" could be interpreted as only killing Drizzt with a party with Garrick present, not that Garrick has to actually kill him. It could also be interpreted that Garrick just gives the death blow, while the rest is entirely up to the party.

Still, will try to do it clean legit - 100% damage dealt by Garrick. With the right spells it (theoretically) should be possible to buff him enough to make him an invulnerable tank for... 1 second? XD
    Alternatively use cheese tactic no. 1 - Invisibility, hit with crossbow, run, invisibility, hit with crossbow, run etc...
    ALTERNATIVELY, use cheese tactic no. 2 - 200 monsters from wand of monster summoning, mass haste on all of them and surround Drizzt. Let Garrick do the dirty work with a crossbow of speed and arrows of biting (I think they should hurt the crap outta Drizzt)

Ohohoho, I am SOOOO gonna humiliate Drizzt! >:D
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Immediately kill everyone you can without breaking the game and steal everything. Make no attempt to hide these efforts, i.e. do not turn invisible or charm anybody. Do not ever raise your reputation.
    LadyRhian said:

Starting out at first level, win with a party of only mages.

that one doesn't sound too hard, since i've done this with a party of 3 pure class mages, no kits/no nothing.

@ajwz one of your ideas is interesting, a no rest play through, except where story forces it. I wonder if that is even possible, and would make mages useless unless i get a spell of wish and get lucky. I think i might try that with my fighter/mage, or maybe i should make a fighter/mage/thief, i know the mage seems pointless, but remember there are still staves/scrolls i can use.
    edited August 2012
    ajwz said:

9. Bear run through: Make a party of druids, shapeshift them into bears. Stay in bear shape the entire game - you can swtich back when absolutely necessary, but you are not allowed into combat ,or if you are thrust into combat, not allowed to do any action except turn into bear form.

Great idea! Hard to survive for the bears and hard for you, because oh boy is that gonna look boring :-) Don't geht me wrong, though, the idea is tempting nonetheless ...
    @Cheesebelly - Thanks for interpreting my request the way it was meant: 100% damage dealt by Garrick, or it's not a real challenge :D I'm so sending you moral support!