Skip to content

The "30 days of Baldur's Gate"

Comments

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @LREC thank you. i do try, and it's ever so nice to be appreciated. >:)
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    MOVING FORWARD after my admitted failure with the glory of Garrick, am entering with the "party of mages" challenge which consists of beating the game with just mages.

Instead of having 6 of em, I'll simply go around with the 5 mages. I don't foresee any difficulty in this challenge whatsoever. Just gotta level up my PC as fast as possible (hint hint - killing Shoal)

Here she is!

That's who's gonna beat the game for me next! I LOVE ME SOME AWESOME STATS!
    @cheesebelly maybe i'm wrong, but i think a party of 5 mages will be much of a challenge. Will be more fun though, so go for it. The 666 at the bottom of the screen signals bad fortune though, i do believe. Beware the howl of the black winds.
    @Bjjorick : Don't worry, it's already 61818 now ;)

Really, it's as simple as that : south, west, check for no wolves, blind Shoal, kill her. Next up, I'll go for some 22000 XP at the Basilisk garden with Xzar! >:D
    @cheesebelly you don't reload saves when your chars die, right?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    @Cheesebelly - it was well worth trying, and I doubt anyone could possibly hold it against you for not pulling out a Drizzt kill with Garrick. Thanks for trying, and good luck on your next challenge! :-D
    @Bjjorick : My characters never die O_O (dum dum duuuum)

But seriously, I try to be careful at all times. I know what to expect from most enemies in the game. I played the game so many times I know the exact location of creatures, their strengths and their behaviors, I know the exact location of traps with the exception of Firewine ruins and Ulcaster. I know what it takes to beat the game :P (and truth be said, monsters that hold you are the biggest threat)

Generally speaking though, unless I am in a no-reload challenge, I would reload. I even set CTRL+Z to be my quick load buttons. Speeding my way through everything! (my frame rate is also set on maximum I think? Or is it 50? Dunno!)

@AndreaColombo : I'm still thinking about it though. If I get illuminated on the subject and find an easy way to kill Drizzt with Garrick, I'll let you know! (still having nightmares about all the spells I so hardly memorized with his horrible intelligence XD )
    @cheesebelly lol, well, at least when your chars die, don't reload, go and have them rez'd. make it a bit more fun for those of us rooting agianst you....umm, i mean for you.....

*mumbles* crappy.....didn't use my challenge....random insult......make him eat cheese, that'll show him....*wonders off mumbling*
    @Bjjorick : oh don't worry, am still planning to play your challenge. Just need to find the best 10 spells in the game before I do ;)

(something which the mage party is potentially the best at doing)

So far my thoughts on the subject are : Bard with -
    1) Magic Missiles, Sleep/Blind
    2) Mirror Images, Web, Blur
    3) Haste, Fireball, Vampiric Touch
    4) Improved Invisibility, Spirit Armor

I think it should be possible with these 10 spells :)
    @cheesebelly hmmm, i think that would be quite interesting, and i would love to hear on that, but i'm surprised you avoided charm. I guess web can take it place well enough, especially since i assume you'll use ranged attacks rather then attempt to tank with a bard :)

But yeah, if you do it, please keep me informed and let me know, i would be in your debt.
    @Bjjorick : I don't usually use charm all that often, especially with Algernon's cloak around (which is free infinite charm spell anyway!), but that is a cheesy tactic.
    Ranged weapons (bow) + Arrows of Biting + Web = death to all. By the end game I'll probably use my standard tactic : Arrows of Dispel + Arrows of Detonation. Sarevok can die in matters of seconds that way (while improved invisibility will keep me safe from enemy spellcasting at all times)

For weapons it's still a big question mark. Frostbrand + Kiel's buckler or simply Spider's Bane + Bow of Marksmanship? I'm prone to go with the other one (seeing that free action is a BIG deal, especially in Durlag's tower)

The only thing that scares me at this point is Aec'letec really.

And don't worry, whenever I start the challenge, I'll post pictures and updates in this thread! :)
    hmmm, seems bards are capable of more then i thought, i didn't think they'd be able to use 2 handed swords for spider's bane. But thank you for keeping us updated :)

btw, my joke about feeding you cheese actually didn't dawn on me til i came back to check your reply and was hmmmmm at your name.
    @Bjjorick : I *love* cheese of any kind (Gorgonzola aside) so yeah, Cheesebelly seems appropriate :p

And bards can use *all* weapons aside from the composite long bow I believe? (luckily, the Bow of Marsmanship, if that is the name, is just a long bow)
    Bards are your generic "Jack of all trades, master of none"
    That is of course true until they get Tenser Transformation in BG2... and that makes a Blade bard with Offensive spin a beast, possibly the best damager in the game.
    @cheesebelly then i'd deffinately love to hear about the run, apparently i've been using bards quite wrong.

I thought of suggesting monk, but i deffinately wasn't feeling that sadistic at the time.
    @Bjjorick : sadly, monk isn't available without BGT or Tutu. But agreed that you would be considered a sadist were you to suggest it! XD

As for bards, well, they are tricky, as they only get 6 levels of spells, unlike mages. But when you think about it, those 6 levels are all you need - Breach, Lower resist, Tenser Transformation, Melf Minute Meteors, Improved invisibility, Stoneskin, Improved Haste (I think?).
    Why is Tenser Transformation a big deal for bards? Because they level up FAST. Meaning that TT gets better advantages much faster. Works the same way for Stoneskin, where you get new layers as you level up. Bards level up almost twice as fast as mages on high levels, meaning that they get their "low" level spells improved much faster. In the end, Mislead + Chromatic orb at high levels is all that is needed to kill a dragon easily :)

Anyway, fast update for my Mage party. After Selene exited Candlekeep she magically went straight for the coastline where she met (and blinded... and darted to death) Shoal the nereid! (Woot, level 3 already!)

Back where Gorion was slain, the apprentice mage reaches for Xzar and Montaron (who went insane and screaming ran into the woods, never to be seen again). The two made a fantastic company - rescuing chickens (2000XP), talking down drunkmen (900XP), gifting books (300XP), killing Ogrillions (a bunch of XP + magic ring of protection)

One day, Selene felt like she wanted to see the far east (that sounds so wrong). Xzar followed her and they made their way to the desert, where they met the fabulous Basilisks... which were slain thanks to Korax the ghoul, their new best friend! Oh, the party they had together. Killed 5 lesser basilisks and one greater, as well as a crazed dwarven mage, which gave Selene a new robe! It was time to part way (left off the rest of the Basilisks for some more XP with the other NPCs)

Xzar came to Selene one day and told her "I wanna have a Nashkellian candy!" - So they set off to Nashkel. On the road, they met a crazed captain of the guards who proposed them a riddle. They solved it (death) and took the captain to the Nashkel temple. Everything was nice and... dark? (it was night time)

As they explored Nashkel for the candy store, they met Edwin, a fellow wizard, who offered them a special... quest.

Time for a break now! XD
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    What about a game with 6 bards?
    What about a party of 6 Garricks against a party of 6 Drizzts? It is considered a legit win even if only one Garrick survives XD

Ok, I'll stop this inane Garrick vs. Drizzt blather now.
    ummmm, @andreacolmbo, just my opinion, but shouldn't that be 6 garricks against 1 drunken drizzit? and if they can do 20% of his hp, that would be considered a victory :)
    I think Drizzt has like 96 HP, 20% health ISN'T an awful lot (my Garrick did 8 damage by himself, that's like... 10% nearly! ) :p

I reckon that 6 Garricks could beat one Drizzt. After 5 of them died anyway.
    lol i know but i just wanted to stress the point. 1 v 1 won't cut it, 6 v 6 would be a blood bath.

btw, drizzt would be drunk so that he wouldn't find the fight with 6 garricks too boring. :P

it's late, i'm tired but can't sleep, and my sense of humor probably makes no sense at this point. A wise man would probably stop posting......
  • limlitelimlite Member Posts: 12
    Ah yes, the time has come!! The stark raving mad streaker run. No armor or weapons of any kind, kill Sarevok by mooning him repeatedly with [enter personal message] etched across your cheeks. The true Bhaalspawn will rule, NAKED!!!
    @limlite's post has just inspired a new challenge for @Cheesebelly: kill Sarevok with Xan. Use CLUAConsole to summon Sarevok in any map you want, leave the rest of your party in a faraway corner, and deal 100% damage with Xan.
    edited August 2012
    @limlite : that ought to be easy!

PC : "this ends HERE AND NOW!"
    Sarevok : "Oh god, I don't wanna see. WHY ARE YOU NAKED?!"
    PC : "does that matter brother? Oh no, it doesn't. FRIENDS, ATTACK WITH YOUR SWORDS AS I DISTRACT HIM!"
    Sarevok : "I YIELD, I YIELD!!! PLEASE, Just... take off my eyeballs."
    PC : "That was kinda disappointing >.< "

Edit --

@AndreaColombo : you are evil... AND I LOVE IT! Definitely have to try it out. Hmmm... Can that useless scoundrel of a bastard Xan use vampiric touch? If so, then this should be a walk in the park. 6 of them and Sarevok is dead.
    Sarevok: "... and so I had you kill Rieltar to frame you for murder. My evil scheme demands that you're out of the picture, you see. This is where Angelo comes into pl... Are you naked?"
    PC: "Yep."
    *Endless moments of awkward silence, staring at each other in the eyes*
    @AndreaColombo : That made my day XD
    Now then! I was a bit low on my game-o-meter for the last few days (with good reasons sadly) and today I wanted to start up my mage challenge only to be surprised by Edwin - He was threatening to leave unless I find the evil witch Dynahier and kill her... problem being that she's RIGHT OVER THERE IN MY PARTY D:

Is there any way to fix that? (I mean, remove his threats of leaving?)

IN THE MEANTIME!

I will start up that helluva interesting run @Bjjorick suggested me some time ago now.

Well, for once in my lifetime I thought "Well, this is it, I'll have to have a reasonably bad stat roll with a bard. We can do it man, we can do it!!!"

*clicks on Abilities*

"You've got to be kidding me..."

What are the odds of getting a friggin 92 the moment you click on the stat roll? I almost feel like I cheated ;_;

So I am asking the challenge giver, should I roll a new character which would rather get an average 79, or should I go with mr. Monster Bard? (named Ironthroat)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2012
    @Cheesebelly Hmmm try to solo with monster bard, maybe? :)
    nope, the rule was to go with the first roll. if that's the first roll you got legit, just enjoy it and dont' change anything :) sometimes things go your way, go ahead and see how hard it will be, but if this was dnd and you just rolled that for your char, would you be asking me this question?

remember, difficulty on maximum.
    Thanks for the fast reply. I'll keep the roll untouched, no redestributing either. I actually like it the way it is. Sure, I'll have a bit of a harder time hitting in Melee, but plan is simple "DON'T get hit"
    Bard's mirror images should help me on that regard. Second tactic is - Kill only what you HAVE to kill.

I won't get involved in fights that I don't have to fight. Even if I have the XP cap remover, I'll level the bard just to level 10, after that I'll stop (otherwise it becomes easy). Should have 80 HPs by the end game which should suffice for killing off Sarevok... without getting hit of course.
    Don't know how I'll handle Battle Horrors though. Those scare the crap outta me even when playing a solo fighting character, let alone when I'm soloing a bard on the highest difficulty.

Might think about changing Blur for Strength as spells too, so I get to hit better. Potions will hopefully keep me buffed well. Sarevok's battle should be a piece of cake. Stack of 20 Arrows of detonation, 20 arrows of dispel and 20 arrows of piercing. Maybe another 20 arrows of biting. Don't know if that works on Sarevok though... hmmmm *ponders ponders*
    edited August 2012
    well, i think it's going to be fun and don't forget about your mage companion in the gnoll stronghold that you can pick up when you're ready. also, i couldn't tell you to get rid of that roll because let's face it, you'll never again get a roll like that on your first try.

quick question, i've decided to do a hard playthough of just bg1 myself, any suggestions for mods? like xp cap remover, or making everyone walk a lil faster (so it's not a cheat where i move faster then everyone, but come on, the walking speed in bg1 is hella slow.) Also, i tried the g3 widescreen mod but it doesn't look quite right, and suggestions one that looks better?

i'm assuming that the interface was designed only for 640 x 480 and that's why it doesn't look right, but i'm sure there's some mod out there who would have made one that looks/fits better.

edit: i usually play bgt, but i realize that i don't like what it does to the first game, even though i do like some of the things, it kills the artistic beauty of the game (like the shields look sooooo much better in bg1).