Skip to content

Remove lich Kangaxx

Hi all,

I used to play BG2 in the old days and was very excited to learn about the enchanced edition.

To cut a long story, I created a multiplayer game and created all six characters.

I played for some 20 hours and some asked to join. I replied that I prefered to play alone and tried (unsuccessfully it turned out) to block further invitations.

All of a sudden someone called "Sheridan" joined my game and started to discuss differnt issues. I told him/her politely that I preferred to play alone. He/she got very frustrated and told me several not-so-nice-things.

Then he/she siad "beware of the evil" and left.

Now my game is corrupted. Wherever I go, I face Kangaxx. I have started all over (sadly) with a new game and Kangaxx shows up in the Irencus prision...

Needless to say, my party at level 7 can not beat him.

The game is ruined and I have to quit playing unless someone can help a complete noob to get rid of Kangaxx.

Any and all advise his appreciated. Unless you guys can help, my revival of BG2 is hereby concluded...

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited February 2014
    I had no idea such a thing was even possible, but one way to avoid it going forward would be to create a multiplayer game with your 6 custom party members, then save & exit.
    In your file explorer, copy the entire folder for that save file only from your multiplayer save folder (mpsave I think) to your single player save folder (save). You should then be able to load it in BG2 as a single player game.
    As for your current game, you may need to export the characters in order to rescue them from Kangaxx. Then start a new multiplayer game, import them during character creation, save and follow the process above.
    Edit: Alternatively, if you can upload your save file, someone else here may be able to debug it for you.
    Post edited by jackjack on
  • ValcyriaValcyria Member Posts: 9
    Hi!

I I have created a completly new game with completly new characters. Kangaxx is here...

When I noticed that, I did try to move the multiplayer game to a single player game by copying the multiplayer and put in the single player save folder.

It did not work. Kangaxx was there.

Please help a noob. I am not very familiar with "hacking".

@CrevsDaak, do you have any ideas on this?
  • Stasis_SwordStasis_Sword Member Posts: 91
    General troubleshooting question: If you start a new single player game (don't load any saves/characters) what happens?
    Do I need to uninstall and reinstall the game (possible to do that from my link when I purchased it, or is it one time only download?)
    edited February 2014
    You can download the installer again, but you may not need to do something that drastic - have you tried replicating this issue in a new single player game?
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    @Valcyria
    Try to post the save game here.
    (BALDUR.SAV) Uploaded file type is not allowed.
    Yes, I have tried to play again. My friend Kangaxx is there...
    edited February 2014
    Valcyria said:

(BALDUR.SAV) Uploaded file type is not allowed.

You need to zip up the whole folder for the save itself, (not your entire saves folder), not just the .SAV file itself. Are you at all familiar with 7zip, WinRAR or similar compression programs?
    Sorry, not at all. I do now know very much about zipping. I can unzip a file, but I am not familiar how to zip. I am a noob :)
    Sorry, "noT know"
    Will try again... Thanks Jack!
    For Windows, 7zip works well:
    http://www.7-zip.org
    Download and install. There should be a readme in the install folder when you're done.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    edited February 2014
    I am certainly not linked with Overhaul in anyway but it might be a good idea to copy and keep a top directory backup.
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    @alcyria
    The savegame is incomplete. You need to add the rest of the folder most importantly baldur.gam
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited February 2014
    Do you have an override folder? Just delete, if yes it should be in the same directory than the CHITIN.KEY.
    If not, I've just seen Matrix so my head is still in pieces, just re-install or search for Morpheus, I guess that he can help you unleash the real truth.
    To make a private multi-player change the Protocol to TCP/IP and create a session, there are less than 0,002 odds of someone joining considering all the IPs possible, and if you think that is not enough add a password, and you can also drop the save game 0000000 folder in the single player save directory (for Multi-Player you have 'mpsave' and for Singler Player it's just 'save').

Edit: or you can also follow the white rabbit :P
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    if someone could direct @Valcyria to how to enable console they could just ctrl+y kangaxx and hopefully he doesn't come back
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    It could be quest-breaking.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    The question is here, how is such a thing possible? Is this a console command (one I don't know about, "sic Kangaxx on PlayerX" or something? Or did someone hack into the open port of the MP Client?

I'd be curious about what happens if Kangaxx is killed (just use the console commands and kill him directly with it). Is he then gone, or does he keep popping back up?
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Also then testing if it breaks the kangaxx quest. Ctrl y would be a good way to not just abandon your game though
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited February 2014
    WebShaman said:

The question is here, how is such a thing possible? Is this a console command (one I don't know about, "sic Kangaxx on PlayerX" or something? Or did someone hack into the open port of the MP Client?

There is no command such as that. However, if someone is playing with a modified area or creature then it may copy it over to other players. If you are hosting a game, for example, and I join with a custom item, that item will then be added to the game (usually not permanently (i.e. only to the SAV file, speaking of which, there are three references to Kangaxx (HLDEMI) in that SAV file for the first area), though I cannot remember the details; it's been a while since I tried multiplayer). I recall a time when my internet connection conked out, where my player and certain items that I was testing at the time were still retained in that saved game the next day when I joined, even though the host continued playing (only the host can save, if I recall).
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    IT'S HAUNTED!
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Two hints to avoid unwanted attention to your multiplayer game:

-move the savegame to the single player directory after creating your party and starting the run, it works as a normal game even with the custom characters and esp. makes pausing easier.

-Set a password on multiplayer and maybe call the session xxx solo run or something
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    This sounds like the weirdest bug. I didn't know people could join your MP game without asking.

Wish I could help, OP. Need to see your save game directory to do anything, though.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I realise that it is absolutely no help to you for me to comment here, but this is rather incredible, really! It is a great pity that someone would ruin your gaming experience like that, and I have no technical mastery of any game or program, but I can't imagine how someone managed to accomplish this merely by joining your multiplayer game.
    Sorry mates, I seem to have misunderstood what to copy.

I have tried to make a better copy of the save game.

Yes, it is incredible that this person could ruin the game for me...
  • Cler1cCler1c Member Posts: 32
    edited February 2014
    This sounds like a real security breach. I'm not familiar with the issue but if it was made once (probably some sort of package injection or file substitution) it can probably be made again and devs should take a look at the code.

Valcyria, are you using a personal firewall like Comodo, Outpost or anything similar? If not, you should try installing them. Also try downloading the free version of MWB at - https://www.malwarebytes.org/ and after installing run the full scan and get rid of all possible malware.

Let us know how it went. :)

P.s. if you are playing the game over steam press F12 to get a screenshot for us and post it here if you manage.

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Reinstall your game and start a new game. It's the simplest way to be sure the problem does not come back. If you have any saves from before the problem you can use them.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Sorry that your game is ruined, but that's quite a funny way of doing it!