Skip to content

Curse of the Azure Bonds

Comments

• The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    edited February 2014
    OOC OK I feel a bit like my character, what's with all the deleted posts? EDIT Never mind, my browser was lagging so all the 'show' buttons on the spoilers were hidden.

Smoke looked at his impromptu companions with concern and a little dislike. Why must they debate what is surely obvious to everyone. It was clear we had to visit this sage, and the price the woman has asked, well surely she knows the value of her own work?

'Look, I have the gold to pay my share of what she is asking.' Looking at Lulu ( @booinyoureyes ), he continued 'If you can convince her to charge less, or if we can perform a task in lieu of payment, well and good, but if not, let us pay her now and find out what these marks mean. We can always perform odd jobs about town afterwards to earn more gold'.

Smoke glanced at Nona ( @nonnahswriter ) and said, 'apologies, you asked what our skills are. Mine are .. well I trained with the sword (he unconsciously pats Adjanta lovingly). If you want something dead, or to wish it were, I can do that. If you need me to see something without anyone seeing me, I can do that too.' He looks doubtful. 'Also I can move heavy things, or I can try to .. steal some stuff, but I'm not very good at that yet'.
    Post edited by The_Potty_1 on
  • KalesraKalesra Member Posts: 234
    edited February 2014
    Filani watches the party out of the corner of one eye as they discuss her terms, sipping tea from a delicate porcelain cup and occasionally pretending to read a book that rests on her lap. The gray cat reappears, bounding up to Nona ( @Nonnahswriter) and rubbing against her leg with vigorous purrs. For a moment she forgets that it's anything other than a normal cat--then it looks up at her with unsettling awareness in its golden eyes and Nona remembers that Filani can hear anything the familiar can hear.

"Come here, Celebrin," Filani calls before Nona can shoo the cat away. "Stop bothering our guests."

"The nerve," Celebrin mutters.

"Before paying to anyone I would like to know how marked my arm in this way," @CrevsDaak demands. "The mark is awful as well as the organization it symbolizes,"

"Ah, so you know something about one of these symbols," Filani replies. "The most obvious one, I would imagine. A big "Z" isn't precisely the most subtle of secret insignias. As far as how the marks were placed on your flesh, I can tell you only what is to be found in my books. Anything else would require casting divination spells on the runes themselves, and that's about as smart as shoving your head in a dragon's throat. But I can tell you everything you might want to know about what those symbols represent."

She pauses and seems to consider something.

"Since you...well, to the best of your knowledge at least, seem to have identified one of the symbols, I can offer you a discount. 5000 gold for information on the other four marks, if you're willing to take the chance that you know everything there is to know about the fifth. But that's as low as I'm willing to go."

Her voice drops to a whisper.

"Consider, please, that you are not precisely inconspicuous, wandering into a sage's abode with those big glowing tattoos. There are eyes everywhere, and I put myself at considerable risk by divulging information that some powerful people would rather you didn't have."

OOC: Yeah, @The_Potty_1, I'm currently having the same problem. I can't see what's inside of the spoiler tags anymore either. :P
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    OOC Try clearing your browser's cache and see if the peoblem is solved.
    @mlnevese, I tried that...still no dice. I thought maybe it was Opera but it doesn't work for me on firefox, chrome, or ie either. I can only view the spoilers on my mobile browser. Weird...
    @Kalesra Then it's Vanilla forum going insane again...
    OK then guys...for now, no spoiler tags (just preface anything out of character with OOC), since I can't see what's in those tags at the moment. :P I'll let you know when/if it starts working for me again.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Nailo looks to Filani apologeticly.

"You are absolutely right my lady. I apologize for our manner. It is not our intent to put you in harm, and we will do anything in our power to keep you safe."

He sighs.

"We have had a rather jarring experience, and thus our wits and actions are not what they should be. We apologize again for the rude behavior."

Nailo looks at Jin ( @Heinrich‌ ) with a snarl.

"Some of us even more so than others."
    Smoke is aghast at the prospect of not gathering all information possible, and jumps in. 'Don't listen to my idiotic companions my good lady, we want the full deal. I will not base what could be my life or death on schoolyard whisperings and half-remembered fragments in the minds of people who so far seem somewhat ..' Smoke waves a hand in front of his face and rolls his eyes.'

OOC friends don't let friends try out their people skills on random strangers :p
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    "If we were to divide the price evenly among ourselves, it would amount to 625 gold each"
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited February 2014
    OOC: Apparently if you make a comment, it (temporarily) fixes the spoiler tag problem. So I will continue to tag OOC content for neatness' sake. Edit: Damnit didn't work this time... well, you can still use mobile/tablet... lol... it's not important anyway, everything that is important I've kept in the main script.

OOC 2: Oh yeah, encase it's not clear and there's been some misunderstanding, whenever I use italics, that denotes Jin's thoughts, not words.

[spoiler]
    mlnevese said:

OOC At least the dwarf has some sense not to hit the first girl he sees after being kidnapped, dragged across the world, marked by a tattoo that may be magical and discovering he was probably unconscious for weeks. Maybe I should have given him more than 9 wisdom ;)

Hey! To be fair to Jin, he's not shown any outward sign of affection or 'hit on' any of the girls... for a start, he doesn't entirely trust them! I have merely gone to the extra step of sharing his thoughts as well as his words/actions. :P

...also, unlikely Nailo ( @Delvarian ), Jin has only been drawn to Nona ( @Nonnahswriter ) due to her demeanour and not tried to impress both of the girls. :P

In fact, he's slightly intimidated by Lulu's ( @booinyoureyes ) confidence to take charge of the group, which is unusual in the tradition of his people, and makes him uncomfortable.

[/spoiler]

Jin ignored Nailo ( @Delvarian ) and Smoke's ( @the_Potty_1 ) barbs, but he quietly seethed at their disrespect.

Fools... Wealth maybe no object for me, but we are lost far from home, with limited resources, and they are willing to pay way over the odds the first merchant we come across?! Even if this elf was not involved in the attack, it doesn't mean that she is not a fraud or simply attempting to extort gold from those who appear to have little other choice.

Jin holds his tongue to avoid a confrontation, and offers no indication of whether he is willing or unwlling to accept the terms.

OOC 3: @Kalesra did you see my comment about gold distribution? I am okay with either decision, I'm just not sure if you saw the question given the spoiler tag problems.
    OOC: @Heindrich, I didn't really think the part about the gold through that well. It would be weird for everyone to have exactly the same amount of gold (although those of you who were traveling together would have probably divided loot somewhat evenly). But, especially now that we've started having a discussion about spending gold, I don't want to drastically change it. So, this is my rationale. Rather than running around everywhere carrying giant bags of money, your character would have probably had a lot of his wealth stored in coffers on the caravan, the whereabouts of which are unknown after the ambush. The other adventurers would have also lost anything that wasn't on their person during the attack. I rolled 5d100 + 700 for each of you to determine your exact amount of gold, and the result is as follows: Lulu 1298, Nona 855, Crevs 1015, Jin 939, Falagrim 1041, Nailo 885, Smoke 1111. Sorry, I know this is not perfectly realistic. I was just trying to be fair with starting resources, and it's a little too late to drastically change things. :P
    OOC I'm rich! :)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    mlnevese said:

OOC I'm rich! :)

OOC: You have only 26 GP more than me, so I'm 26 GP poorer than you.
    ooc: Hah, makes sense that the successful merchant has the most gold!

@Kalesra would my character know if the price offered was fair or not?

ic:
    "My lady, is there anything we can do to lower the price further, or is there any easy money to be made in town? Your price is fair, and I would be happy to pay it, yet we are also in a difficult position due to our circumstances, and would like to conserve our resources as much as possible. I would like to see all options before we decide as a group on how to proceed"

She turns to her comrades

"I believe it would be prudent to vote on how we approach. We are all in this together, and that seems the most fair method of deciding."
    "I am sure that whatever this woman can do I can do better."
    "Unless she wants to help us" *grinning*

OOC:
    Crevs' memorized spells:
    Level One: Magic Missile - Magic Missile - Protection from Evil - Spook
    Level Two: Mirror Image - Strength - Melf's Acid Arrow
    Level Three: Skull Trap - Slow
    Level Four: Stoneskin
    OOC:
    Lulu's memorized spells (I will take at least one healing spell from each level for roleplay reasons)
    1: Cure Light Wounds x3, Entangle x2, Bless
    2: Chant, Charm Person or Mammal x2, Resist Fire or Cold, Slow Poison and GOODBERRIES (nomnomnomnom)
    3: Strength of One, Dispel Magic, Summon Insects, Cure Medium Wounds
    4: Cure Serious Wounds, Defensive Harmony, Call Woodland Beings
    5: Cure Critical Wounds, Insect Plague (does someone want a True Sight or Ironskins?)
    OOC: @booinyoureyes, as far as you know, sages typically charge around 1,000 GP per day, and answering questions through research alone can take up to a week. Divination is much faster--and more expensive. You feel like her prices are high, but not completely extortionate considering the use of divination.
    So basically there is nothing she wants other than money? No way to lower the price?
    edited February 2014
    Filani shrugs.

"I've made my offer. Take it or leave it. I have no need of your services. Celebrin can take care of the rats in my cellar just fine, and I doubt you have any magical items I would be interested in. If my prices are too steep, you can always try the Temple of Gond."

She smiles a toothy smile.

"I'm sure they would be glad to try and chisel those off for you."

OOC: Sorry, @booinyoureyes, she's a real hardass. If anyone feels they have a really good counterproposal they're welcome to try and persuade her though (I'll make a CHA-based roll for that)
    "Okay, I propose that we share the cost equally. Divided among the eight of us this would amounts out to 625 gold each. Does anyone object to this proposal?"
    edited February 2014
    "Eight of us lady? ( @booninyoureyes ) I think one of us must have taken a blow to the head... I count seven, though the Half-Orc ( @Delvarian ) sure looks big enough to count as two."
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    "I have no objections to this plan."
    "I first would like to know what information are we going to get after paying.
    And which is going to be it's use."
    Heindrich said:

"Eight of us lady? ( @booninyoureyes ) I think one of us must have taken a blow to the head... I count seven, though the Half-Orc ( @Delvarian ) sure looks big enough to count as two."

Lulu whispers "As does your ego"
    "What was that?" asks Kang
    "Nothing nothing, just talking to myself. You are correct, I appear to still be a bit lightheaded after the past week. The question still remains, shall we divide the cost evenly? About 715 gp each, I believe"
    Oh whatever just pay the elf...
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

"Nothing nothing, just talking to myself. You are correct, I appear to still be a bit lightheaded after the past week. The question still remains, shall we divide the cost evenly? About 715 gp each, I believe"

"I have no objections. 715 gold it is," Nona said, and began fishing for the money in her purse.
    OOC:
    Jin's prepared spells:

Lv1
    - Infravision
    - Blindness
    - Magic Missile
    - Shield
    Lv2
    - Blur
    - Invisibility
    - Mirror Image
    Lv3
    - Melf's Minute Meteors
    - Fireball
    - Slow
    Lv4
    - Stoneskin
    - Improved Invisibility

@‌Kalesra I forgot to ask, is there any chance that my character still has his familiar? Obviously I don't know the circumstances surrounding his capture, and don't know if his familiar would have been killed in the effort. If so I will reduce his Con by 1 and accept whatever the hp hit is supposed to be. Also he'll start nagging the other members of the company to rest so that he can prepare to summon his familiar again. :D

Jin sighs...
    "Fine..." And reluctantly begins to count his share of the fee.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    OOC: OMG! The spoiler buttons are randomly working again!

I should probably put this down, since everyone else is sharing.

Nona's prepared spells. As in, ready-to-cast:

(Arcane)

Identify
    Magic Missile
    Magic Missile
    Sleep

Luck
    Resist Fear
    Strength
    Vocalize (extra slot via Metaspell Amulet)

Haste
    Skull Trap
    Minor Sequencer (slotted with Resist Fear and Bless)

(Divine)

Bless
    Sanctuary
    Cure Light Wounds x3

Hold Person x2
    Slow Poison x2
    Know Alignment

Cure Medium Wounds x2
    Holy Smite

Cure Serious Wounds x2

I'm a lean, mean, buffin'/healin' machine!
    Smoke counts out 715 gp and places it on the counter in front of Filani.
    As the others pay, Smoke discreetly notes where they store their gold, and how much they have left.

Glancing at the pile of gold, he says 'we've overpaid.' He removes 5 gold pieces from the pile, and gives them to Nona without a word.

Lulu 583, Smoke 396, Falagrim 326, Crevs 300, Jin 224, Nailo 170, Nona 145.