Skip to content

Curse of the Azure Bonds

Comments

• DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    edited March 2014
    Nailo ponders for a moment before speaking.

"I see no reason why we need speak to the king. I also see no reason why he should give us an audience with him. We are strangers to this area, and well armed ones at that."

He frowns.

"As far as sneaking in to see him, it is most likely to get us arrested, and perhaps executed. I believe our best course is to leave and seek out this Elminster, it is far more likely his knowledge and magic will help us."

OOC: Just reminding everyone of Nailos low charisma :) He may come off a bit overbearing and rough at times.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited March 2014
    I have to agree with Nailo here. Sneaking to see a king will have us arrested as assassins or killed right away. These things in our arms do not help in making them see we're friendly and trustworthy... Just try to imagine how we would explain that seven armed people whith zhent marks were just trying to "help" the king... The guards would gladly help us lose our heads...
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    "So... To Elminster then?"

Nona spoke calmly, but the others might have noticed the hint of a grin tugging her lips.
  • KalesraKalesra Member Posts: 234
    OOC
    So, it seems the majority are in favor of leaving town: Nailo ( @Delvarian‌), Nona ( @Nonnahswriter‌), Falagrim ( @mlnevese‌) and Smoke ( @The_Potty_1‌) have stated this explicitly and @CrevsDaak‌, you gave them an "agree"...so I assume Crevs wants to leave too. Jin ( @Heindrich‌) wants to see the king, and I'm not sure what Lulu ( @booinyoureyes‌) would prefer to do. What is Lulu's opinion, and will Jin go with the majority or try to convince them to change their minds?
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited March 2014
    "Friends, Elminster is thousands of kilometers away, while the king is close by. We could seek answers from him, but it would make sense to see the king first. If the issue remains unresolved we could always see the sage after we discover what is going on with the king. We don't need to do one or the other. We can do both. The king is nearby, so for the sake of expedience I say we try to solve this problem first and then go off to find Elminster"
    Well, that is a bit of an exaggeration. :P It's more like 240 km. Still a long trip though.
    Nailo opens his mouth to speak, thinks twice and then shuts it. After a moment he speaks.

"Perhaps we should see this king then..."
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    "I think we can visit Elminster" he says as he goes towards the door "Two hundred and forty kilometers aren't that much. Having in mind the immense number of Planes that are in different, infinite universes that have their own places" he says as he smiles seriously "I would like to go by horse one way or another."
    Can we take a final vote and go with the majority? I don't want to split the party. Also, as is often the case with these modules, many different paths eventually converge in the same place anyway.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    OOC:

Sorry in MP game, will just vote to try to see King
    OOC: Nailo will just follow Lulu's lead :P
    So 3 in favor of trying to see the king so far (Jin, Lulu, and Nailo because Lulu said so :P) if there is one other person who wants to see the king, then I shall make it so. If not, it's off to Elminster without seeing the king. Sorry to force a decision, but...if we split the party, it's gonna be a mess.
    OOC: what happens if I decide another choice... to go to the Zhent Keep to present us as agents sent to kill the king AND we kill the Zhent, thus ruining their planes (if they had any) and saving the King for at least one organization (I guess that it's the only one involved)?? Am I able to choose that option?
    OOC: Zhentil keep is a really long way away. I don't want to spoil too much, but you will get to Zhentil Keep eventually, and if you decide to go straight there right now (well...after weeks of traveling) you will miss a lot of important encounters and probably find the enemies you encounter too powerful. Also, you know that the Fire Knives are involved too and Filani told you some of them may still be in Tilverton.
    OOC: OK, we could also try searching for the Fire Knives agents in the city... certainly I'd go to talk to Elminster and then see what else we can do.
    "Hey Nona ( @Nonnahswriter‌ ), since Elminster will take months, and we already have two leads here with the Fire Knives and the king, why don't we do this first then go see Elminster?"
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Kalesra There is a Spell Sequencer Spell in 2e AD&D. It's the Simbul's Spell Sequencer. Level 7, allows you to cast one to four spells of third level or lower at the same time. The spells are counted as cast when you add them to the spell sequencer, but don't actually manifest until you trigger the spell sequencer. Additionally, they can be all spells of the same type (Fireball spells, for instance), and such damaging spells all do maximum damage. If the caster dies, the spells in the sequencer are lost, as is the sequencer. If the caster enters an Anti-Magic area or a magic-dead area, the spell is inaccessible until the caster leaves.

Also, I'd have loved to have joined this game. But… not only did I play the SSI Gold Box game, I also own the module based on it. Not that I would have cheated, but I remember far, far too much of it to be a good member of the party for it. I'd be willing to play an NPC if you need one, though.
    ooc
    @LadyRhian‌ should be the princess (if she indeed exists and is not a ploy to make us look like her kidnappers)!
    @LadyRhian‌ Thanks! I still can't seem to find it anywhere but I'll take your word for it. I'll definitely let you know if I need an NPC. :) You can also message me if you remember someone in particular who you'd like to play.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Kalesra It's in the Seven Sisters book. Also the Mage Spell Compendium, under "S".

"Hey Nona ( @Nonnahswriter‌ ), since Elminster will take months, and we already have two leads here with the Fire Knives and the king, why don't we do this first then go see Elminster?"

Despite her every heart screaming at her to pursue her lifetime idol while she still had the chance, Nona took a deep breath and nodded.

"If this is the consensus of the group, then I will follow accordingly. I admit, I too am concerned for the King... The plot always thickens when royalty is involved. But we must proceed cautiously."
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    edited March 2014
    OOC Smoke is still unsure their 'tats have anything to do with the king, although he is confident that if they are related, then it's not in a good way. However, he lacks the words to express this to the group, so will simply go along with whatever they decide. Unless it involves him sneaking in to see the king, which he will flatly refuse to do. He is however curious how Crevs intends to locate the fire knives.

Also OOC in BG2 Kensai may only be lawful or neutral, so Smoke is true neutral. However as a 'failed' kensai, can he slowly (or quickly) drift towards chaotic neutral? Well he probably has already.
    Alright, since the majority opinion now seems to be to get an audience with the king:

His Majesty King Azoun of Cormyr, Fourth of his Name, is staying in the mansion of the Gunderstone family just a short walk away from the temple.

The mansion is opulent and imposing, four stories tall and fashioned out of gray stone and intricately carved wood. Three Cormyrian guardsmen stand watch at the front entrance. They are armed with longswords and shields and clad in heavy plate. On a cord around each of their necks, you see a golden whistle in the shape of a dragon's head. They stand perfectly still at attention, but their eyes scan the area warily.
    edited March 2014
    Lulu turns to her comrades

"We should be careful but direct. I say we approach them slowly but openly. We don't want to scare them with 7 armed adventurers, but at the same time we don't want to seem like we are hiding something. Would it be okay if I do the introductions?"

Lulu looks around the area and whispers into Richie's ears. He gives a very annoyed purr and reluctantly walks out behind some trees and disappears.

"Lions can scare people off sometimes, though he is a big softy" Lulu laughs

plus he can warn us if someone odd is approaching, or jump in to help if things go sour she worried to herself

We don't want to scare them with 7 armed adventurers, but at the same time we don't want to seem like we are hiding something.

"Only if they find our weapons" Crevs says laughing at the time that he takes his sword from his belt just to watch it shine at the light of the sun, he swings it and smiles while looks at Lulu ( @booinyoureyes‌ ) at the moment he puts the sword back in his belt "The best defense is a fast offense, and a Stoneskin spel."
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited March 2014
    Yes... I suppose the guards are more likely to respond positively to a lovely young lass...

Jin nods to indicate his agreement with Lulu's ( @booinyoureyes‌ ) plan. He turns to Nailo ( @Delvarian‌ ).

"You should probably stay back... like way back." Jin said with a smirk, half-jokingly... only half.

Long'er hovered cheerfully at his shoulder and emitted a sharp call that seemed to mean something to Jin.

"Oh don't worry Long'er, you don't need to get back in the bag! You are SO adorable, I don't know how anyone could be scared of you!", Jin replied with a smile, stroking the dragon's head. The creature hissed at him.

"Oh of course! Unless somebody was being mean to you. I know you can be ferocious if you wanted to be!"

OOC:

Reminder of my writing convention, handily all illustrated in this comment.

Purple represents when Jin is speaking in Shou, thus far only Lulu is supposed to be a fluent speaker, and Nona has a superificial understanding. I assume nobody else understands.

Italics represent Jin's thoughts. So unless your character is a mind reader, you cannot react to that directly.

Nona only understood a few words of Shou from Jin's ( @Heindrich ) speech. Something about an adorable bag that no one could be scared of. Which only seemed to confuse her as he carried on, describing how ferocious he'd be if someone would ever make fun of it.

At any rate, she nodded to Lulu ( @booinyoureyes ) with a smile. "I see no reason why not. This was your idea, after all."
    Lulu smiles at Long'er.

"Okay. Lets all keep our wits about us. Don't look too menacing but don't look weak either. Stay some distance behind me. We don't want them to feel threatened. How about I approach with Nailo and Jin at my sides, everyone else should stay back and cover the rear. It would be good to keep two warrior in front and two in back. Flagrim can cover us and make sure no suspicious activity takes us by surprise"

Lulu approaches the two guards.

"Greetings. We mean no harm. We are a group of adventurers who have been victim of an abduction. In trying to figure out what has befallen us, we have come across some information that may be important to His Majesty. We have reason to believe the group that abducted us is attempting to embarrass or harm the king, using us as scapegoats. We would like to inform a representative of the king of what we have discovered, in order to avoid such a travesty from occuring."
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    Smoke stays well back and tries to stay unnoticed in the shadow of a tree
    As Lulu approaches the three men guarding the main entrance stop scanning the busy street and stare unabashedly at the lovely druid. When she reaches the steps, they snap their heels together, resuming a semblance of discipline. The oldest of the three, a square-jawed, sandy-haired man in his early thirties with a pale scar and a smattering of freckles across his blunt nose, removes his helmet and bows respectfully.

"Be there aught I can help ye with, milady?" he inquires politely. He nods and mutters the occasional "mmhmm" while Lulu explains the adventurers' predicament.

"I would grand ye an audience with his majesty were it possible, milady," the guard replies. "Unfortunately, he is out sightseeing in the city at the moment and has made it quite clear that no one is to be admitted without an appointment. I am afraid I cannot let ye enter, to speak with the king nor with anyone else."

Then man seems to think about something for a moment.

"I can, however, pass on any message milady might wish to convey to King Azoun to his personal secretary. Including, of course, a request for a meeting with his majesty at some future date."