Skip to content

Most Frustrating Baldur's Gate moment?

Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
If my character dies I always give up and start again from the beginning. Somehow it feels like cheating to go back to a saved game. So my worst moment playing Baldur's Gate came recently when I was in the final battle against Sarevok. It was all going pretty well: Tazok and Angelo were down and I had battered Sarevok until he was near death. True, Jimsy, my fighter/mage/thief had succumbed to confusion and was standing in a corner talking to herself. But that didn't matter because she wasn't in the line of fire and Kagain, who was also confused, was still whacking away at Semaj.

It was all getting really exciting. You could hardly see my NPCs portraits because there was so much red on them. But then Minsc swung Spider Bane again and Sarevok was toast. I'd won!

Except I hadn't.

Because before the game could end, Kagain noticed Jimsy standing in the corner and came over and swung his axe one more time. And that was me dead at the last possible moment in the game.

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Permidion_Stark Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
  • DalsdDalsd Member Posts: 11
    To resist the urge of killing Noober..
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    For some reason after I went out from the Candlekeep Catacombs it didnt start chapter 7 so I was stuck, I had to begin all over again, It happened to me only once though.. I think it was my first playthrough
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    wow i should really learn to stop loading my save every time things go bad, this sounds like an awesome experience.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @Permidion_Stark Haha, and did you also feel you had to replay it from the start again in order to export the character to BG2? Otherwise it shouldn't matter too much if you died there.
  • ElandirElandir Member Posts: 35
    The expectation of Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition :)
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Shin said:

@Permidion_Stark Haha, and did you also feel you had to replay it from the start again in order to export the character to BG2? Otherwise it shouldn't matter too much if you died there.

I must admit that this time I made an exception and played the fight out again just so I could export my character. But it never felt right to me and she died again in the Underdark a couple of days ago.

• purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    edited August 2012

Shin said:

I must admit that this time I made an exception and played the fight out again just so I could export my character. But it never felt right to me and she died again in the Underdark a couple of days ago.

In my humble opinion you made the right choice.

As for my personal experience with the game, it's been so long since I've played it's hard for me to remember but I'd have to say navigating the tight quarters in the maze under Firewine Bridge (I think that is the name) containing the fire arrow wielding kobolds was the most frustrating experience for me.
    if we're talking the trilogy, anything to do with the ilithids/mind flayers was always of great annoyance to me. Mainly since it seems nothing protects against stun unless you cheat, and other then things like a bag of holding so i don't have to focus on inv management (since irl, i work inventory), i prefer not to cheat.

a good time to ask i suppose, but is there maybe a better way to prepare to fight them that doesn't completely take out the challenge?
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Aec'Letec. Full stop. :)
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    shawne said:

Aec'Letec. Full stop. :)

I had forgotten about this encounter... damn. What a pain in the backside.

Also, I must've fought that damn chess battle in Durlag's Tower at least half a dozen times before figuring it out...
  • ShadowShadow Member Posts: 20
    That's actually a very interesting way to play the game. I might actually try it when BG:EE comes out. That way I won't rush it.

Most annoying moment I've ever had is probably being attacked whilst switching between parts of the map multiple times as I kept going to the wrong place.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    Minsc getting dominated/confused and chasing my whole party across the screen in misguided rage. Though I admit I'm referring to bg2 (damn mindflayers).
    Shadow said:

That's actually a very interesting way to play the game. I might actually try it when BG:EE comes out. That way I won't rush it.

One of the best things about the BG games is that the number of available NPCs is so large that it's very easy to play a "perma-death" game where, rather than raise party members when they're killed, you treat that as actual death and find someone to take their place. :)
  • GarmGarm Member Posts: 67
    Reloading too many times while in the Firewine Brigde (in vanilla BG1). It was a nightmare dealing with those dozens of kobold commandos, eh.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Garm Oh, gods, yes! The only place that slightly compared to that was the Nashkel mines, 3rd level, across the (trapped) bridge. Kobold Commandos and Fire Arrows... I lost many party members to those little (expletive deleted)s.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    edited August 2012
    Garm said:

Reloading too many times while in the Firewine Brigde (in vanilla BG1). It was a nightmare dealing with those dozens of kobold commandos, eh.

Our arrows will blot out the sun!

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Dalsd said:

To resist the urge of killing Noober..

Why resist?
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    The stupid AI. I'm being attacked and the party is just standing there for a few seconds more before they act. To name one instance.
  • DowDow Member Posts: 8
    ^ Stupid AI.

The amount of times I went to send in Imeon to disarm traps, only to find my tool of a party were to busy adjusting their standing positions and ended up pushing each other into the traps instead. That or where the party do their hardest to block all of your melee characters from getting in to battle.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    As many frustrating parts that have been rightly said here (Aer'letec, Firewine Ruins, 3rd floor of Nashkel, the Mindflayers of BG2, or just dying to an ogre at level one since they hit for 14-15 damage which will kill even a fully CONned out fighter). My most frustrating moment was when my game corrupted after I beat BG2 the first time with my Stalker. I had gone back into Watcher's Keep to finish it up. Then for some reason I couldn't progress further (kept dying to something, I think it was level 4) and couldn't go to my pocket plane. When my save ended up corrupted I just threw my hands up in frustration. I haven't played a ranger since. =(
  • AsmodiasAsmodias Member Posts: 22
    Tight corridors in BG1. The maze at the end... oh god... the maze. Also, lightning bolt in close quarters.
    I could put up with those, but the vampires in Baldurs Gate 2 and their level/energy drain? Good god, it wasn't difficult, it was just outright annoying.
    @asmodias i don't use lightning bolt in bg because so often, you're fighting in close quarters. But i do remember in BG2, i was waylaid by enemies and must defend myself....anyways, there was a mage there that cast lightning bolt in the middle of the city, hit one of my chars, and went flying off screen and all i could think about were gangs and innocents getting hit in modern time. Made me realize that life is what it is, and evil will always cause pain and suffering, and that evil will always seek to find a way to have power over others.

Pretty good for a video game i think, but your comment just reminded me of the realization brought to me on that day.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Illithids and Beholders are giant frustrations. And the Cloakwood's Spider Webs lol.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Oh god Cloakwood's Spider Webs. And I forgot about the frustration that is level drain. I think I keep 3 lesser restorations memorized on Anomen on my last playthrough just because of how many vampires there are.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Restorations and negative plane protections are a must when facing vampires :) The most frustrating moments to me are always when someone on my party is confused/dominated, etc... Oh the wait, running away not to harm a party member, just frustrating.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    BG2 moment, but forever etched in my memory - thinking my Stalker was really badass at level 17 and revisiting the sewers under the copper cornet for some reason - then having a hobgoblin cleric cast level 2 hold on him while all party members were at all corners of the map actually being really badass, and I suffer the humiliation of watching this little git chipping away at my health, while the party rush back in vain.

I think I need to vote for stat based saves/immunities again.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    *after planning carefully for hours, casting spells in the right order*
    Me : "Alright, I think I'm ready to take on the beholders at long last!"
    *enters area, beholder petrifies PC instantly*
    Me : "Son of a--"