Skip to content

Most Frustrating Baldur's Gate moment?

Comments

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @mlnevese and @chippy So much use of Chaotic Commands to protect myself from charms. And then there is also Minsc is Liliracor
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241

@mlnevese and @chippy So much use of Chaotic Commands to protect myself from charms. And then there is also Minsc is Liliracor

I blame the FR novels and the concept of being party leader/being able to stand my own ground very now and again. When in reality I should have been hiding behind Jaheria and stabbing at the enemy evey round while she cast said magic.

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

Not to mention the uncanny coincidence of being hit by a dominate the same round a chaotic command would end :)
    Ya you got a point there. There are a few times every time I playthrough where I stop babysitting my PC for a moment and next thing I know I'm dead ><
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    @Dragonspear I agree with what you have said about level draining insofar as how annoying it is and how essential it is to always have Negative Plane Protection and/or Lesser Restoration organised. I do NOT agree with having Anomen in your party, however :P
    Another annoying moment was when you put the difficulty down to easy to get a 100% guarantee on memorising spell scrolls, and then realising hours later that you never put it back to the original difficulty. So infuriating and SO upsetting! :(
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Story of my life ^ >.<
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Hmm. Probably clearing the Firewine Ruins dungeon...
  • levelwormlevelworm Member Posts: 41
    There are some fights that took long time and I was ill prepared from the beginning and couldn't win the fight just because I need one or two more potions.
  • masterdesbaxtermasterdesbaxter Member Posts: 51
    When I first did the werewolf isle in TOSC the Dradeel's Spell Book quest glitched out insofar as Dradeel wouldn't take the book. Something else went wrong as well, because I remember that I needed to be creative to get off of that darn island... Aggravating.
    @RecklessHeart of course your other options were play a cleric yourself, Viconia, Aerie or play a Cavalier or plain Paladin (I believe inquisitor and undead hunter both couldn't cast spells). However as a female paladin, although I was a cavalier, I kinda had Anomen along anyway since he was my only romance option =(
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    mlnevese said:

Restorations and negative plane protections are a must when facing vampires :) The most frustrating moments to me are always when someone on my party is confused/dominated, etc... Oh the wait, running away not to harm a party member, just frustrating.

and geez, you cast dispel on the person running around like wild, and it go to where the char WAS, not where the char IS when the spell is fired. So you wind up dispeling yourself or the enemies or nothing. Guess that's a bug i should mention to get fixed, but the funny thing is, if you trigger a trap of say web, fireball, and you move your char, the trap follows you and hones in on you, even if you get it off and use the cheating teleport to go half a screen away, THAT spell will go half way across the map to hit you. But dispel doesn't target/follow the char, just the loc where the char was when cast.

That always annoys me
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    In BG2 when your cleric or Mage is level drained. Particularly if it takes out lesser restoration and you need to trek to a temple somewhere. Always a pain reassigning spells
  • Zadred_DarkflameZadred_Darkflame Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2012

(...)
    Because before the game could end, Kagain noticed Jimsy standing in the corner and came over and swung his axe one more time. And that was me dead at the last possible moment in the game.

A similar thing actually happened to me. Except my entire party was dead and it was just my fighter going toe-to-toe with Sarevok, what few healing potions I had remaining, each hit took nearly half my character's hit points, and I finally beat him. He went down. And then I heard a scream. My character collapsed.

Now this was my first time beating the game, so I thought maybe he had just fainted, and it was part of the closing theatrics. The rest of the end-game things happened, movie, credits, etc. And I thought nothing of it.

It wasn't until I later tried importing my characters automatically generated "you beat the game" save/char file that I realized I was actually dead. There may or may not have been hints on the character info page before you pick your clothing color and name when importing, but upon starting in candlekeep my character was prone on the ground, and the screen greyed as if he had just died, but nothing else triggered. Unfortunately this was before BGII had come out, so I never had the chance to import the corpse to SoA to see what would happen, but it was pretty cool to have killed Sarevok with my own dieing breath.

A similar thing actually happened to me. Except my entire party was dead and it was just my fighter going toe-to-toe with Sarevok, what few healing potions I had remaining, each hit took nearly half my character's hit points, and I finally beat him. He went down. And then I heard a scream. My character collapsed.

So wait, what happened to your char? I typically kill the lackeys so i can focus on the big bad, i'm guessing you went straight for sarevok and took him down but one of the lackeys killed you? Poison was the first thought that came to mind but i don't think they use poison in that fight?
  • Dannen6272Dannen6272 Member Posts: 28
    Once when playing on LAN with some friends, I died exploring the buildings in Baldur's Gate itself, we had split up to look around more quickly. I was killed by a group of rabid chickens despite my -8 AC, we hadn't saved in over an hour... so much pain.
    @Dannen6272 wait, what?
  • GaaraGaara Member Posts: 26
    donno if some1 said it already but 1st time I played I didn t konw how lvl up sistem worked so I ended up with lvl 6 fighter who had 30ish hp :(
    -needless to say I didn t finish the game that time XD
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Gaara Um, how did that happen, exactly? I assume you mean, you started BG2, not BG...
  • GaaraGaara Member Posts: 26
    LadyRhian said:

@Gaara Um, how did that happen, exactly? I assume you mean, you started BG2, not BG...

I didnt kown how it worked (one lvl I get 5 hp next one I get 12 ,I didn t know you could load to take that lvl up again [as many times as you want] to get the max hp)
    @Gaara Ah! Okay. I was thinking that you didn't know you could level up, or something. Sorry!
    nah, sounds like he didn't reroll his level ups, and got very very bad rolls, probably started with a low con score.

besides, doesn't bg2 start you off at lvl 7 for a fighter?
  • Dannen6272Dannen6272 Member Posts: 28
    @Bjjorick If you go to the poultry shop in Bladur's Gate and talk to the shopkeeper he will tell you something about having trouble with his chickens, which then proceed to spawn and murder you horribly. I'm not kidding, I mean it sounds like a joke but it happened, my cleric in full plate with a tower shield was overwhelmed and killed by crazed fowl.
    @dannen6272 wow, i remember now, i always hit them with a fireball. That was just a bonus to the reward, as not only did the shop keeper give you his reward, but hey, fried chicken anyone?
    @Bjjorick And the smell of burnt feathers... ick. ;)
    @ladyrhian well, had i some tar, i could have saved the feathers, but since i couldn't find any, i made due with what i had.

Geez, if you kill it, you're supposed to eat it. Acid arrow a goblin, quite tangy. Hobgoblins, well, they're a bit tough, but with a lvl 7 casting of magic missle, it tastes juuuuuust right. Sarevok, well.....umm, i think i've said too much.
    @Bjjorick Vegetarians eat vegetables. You're a humanitarian. :D
    @ladyrhian hehe nice one, you got a good lol out of me there.
    @Bjjorick Old, old joke. :)
    @ladyrhian good timing i guess, or i really am still a wee one yet.

and with my off color sense of humor, i don't know many of classics.