Skip to content

Kivan and Deheriana Companions for BG2EE

Comments

• chrstnmonkschrstnmonks Member Posts: 176

Alright, I can confirm that the conversation between Kivan and Edwin that happens at rest ends up crashing when Kivan is telling Edwin that spells can only be used once or thrice a day.

Current Solution: Don't use Edwin as a party member. I'm not quite sure what needs to be fixed here to make it better.

I don't know if it makes a difference but when that crashed with edwin happened I was outside at Trademeet
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I don't think it does @chrstnmonks‌, I got the crash outside of the D'Arnise Hold or where ever you go to get Nalia.
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    I just wanted to extend a huge thank you to all of those involved, this mod was well worth the wait!
    another crash this time between pc and kivan when kivan ask how do you feel about losing saradush
    Solution to the Saradush talk is to not to choose an option that will let you pray for the fallen there, aka the nice options or 1. and 2. depending on what you pick. You have to pick 3 or 4.

Also, there was CTD at rest after the "Brightest Star of Ao." talk, but I am unable to reproduce this.
    Completed BG2EE with Kivan. The only bugs that were found were:
    1. Kivan's bow doing a disappearing act.
    Solution: EEKeeper it back in.

2. Edwin/Kivan talk causing a CTD at rest.
    Solution: Don't use Edwin until this bug is fixed.

3. Kivan asking the PC about how they feel about losing Saradush.
    Solution: Basically, choose the not nice options.

4. Potential CTD after the "Brightest Star of Ao" talk. Not able to reproduce, so no solution until someone can reproduce it consistently.

So, unless @Avenel‌, @chrstnmonks‌, or someone else can find some more bugs, then these are the only ones that need to be fixed.
  • AvenelAvenel Member Posts: 94
    I'm still lagging behind in the game, but I'll have some more time today and tomorrow to get back into it. No problems so far, however.
    Ok, I have an interim update on the mod. The dialogue seems to be working well to date, with no crashes (mind you, I am still only in the first part of SoA). I have encountered two bugs though:

1. On the first dialogue screen of Kivan's fifth friendship/lovetalk (the one where he asks how the mage managed to capture your Charname) I lost the hand/glove icon. I'm not sure if this is some quirk of EE that I haven't seen before, or if it is isolated to the Kivan mod. I had to make my best approximation of hitting a dialogue-response line, and when it went to the next screen, the glove icon came back. I haven't seen this again, though.

2. I had Kivan's bow (his wedding gift) and his Elven Spear of Entanglement go missing on me at the same time. Given that it happened to others as well, I was on the look out for it, and I realised that when it happened, his inventory was full. Perhaps the bug is due to the bow and his spear being special items? I'll keep watching for it and see if I can identify any patterns.
    The bow and spear always seem to disappear for me at rhe beginning and after I load a save game
    @chrstnmonks That's interesting - I'll see if I can replicate it with loading up saves.
    Peculiar, I only had the bow disappear, but that was only a one time deal after I EEKeeper'd it back in. Nothing else disappeared after that. Then again, his bags weren't full after that either.
  • AvengingExileAvengingExile Member Posts: 33
    I've had the bow and spear disappear on me as well. Unfortunately, I didn't notice it until a battle. ("Stop trying to hit the ogre with your fists, you stupid elf!!") At the time, I thought maybe it had something to do with the area transition. I'll try to replicate it when I get a chance.
    Also, did Kivan show up for anyone else with a broken shield in his inventory? I have no idea where that came from.
    @AvengingExile - *chuckle, snort* I just loved your description of Kivan taking on an ogre (of course he would!) with his bare fists. Btw, I also had the broken shield in his initial inventory, and I was scratching my head at it also.

@‌SapphireIce101 - it is a weird little bug, isn't it. Mine happened fairly early in the game, and I am still trying to see if it will happen again.
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    I also started with a broken shield in his inventory, though to date I have not experienced the disappearing bow or spear...
    I think Kivan always started out with the Broken Shield, I remember it being there in regular BG2 at least.

@Avenel - It is a strange little bug, and I think mine happened early too, since I went to do Windspear quite quickly.
    Alright, so I loaded up an older BG2 (original) modded game, and the item that Kivan is supposed to start out with in his inventory is a Large Shield with an armour class bonus of 1, and a special +1 vs missile weapons. It seems the broken shield may be another bug after all.
    I have Xan mod npc installed with Kivan and Xan music plays over Kivan music alot of times
    @chrstnmonks - I think that might be an EE thing, because in BGEE I have Xan's music playing over Coran's and vise versa. Sometimes, they're both playing at the same time. Then, sometimes, Coran's music is playing twice. Its kind of weird.
    @SapphireIce101‌ - that is interesting with what's happening with the theme music. I had noticed that when I reloaded Kivan's dialogues to test the various options for responses, his theme music from the previous load was playing over the top of the current one. Does anyone know if this happens with Anomen or Rasaad as well? I haven't picked up either of them yet, so I'm curious to know if Kivan's music plays over theirs and vice versa. I don't have any other mods installed in my game as yet.
    edited July 2014
    @Avenel‌ - To be honest, I'm not sure if that is an EE specific bug, or just an accident. So, I'm going to call upon a guru, or at least he's a guru compared to me.

@LiamEsler - Is this music thing that we've encountered a bug, or just an accident?
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @SapphireIce101‌ I'm not sure; I don't really know how BG1NPC's music works, honestly! @AstroBryGuy‌ might have a better idea. :)
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited July 2014
    LiamEsler said:

@SapphireIce101‌ I'm not sure; I don't really know how BG1NPC's music works, honestly! @AstroBryGuy‌ might have a better idea. :)

BG1NPC's music works by using "PlaySound" actions in the character scripts, which plays a specified .wav file. Since the game considers it a "sound" rather than "music", it doesn't get interrupted when the game plays regular background music or another character sound. What may be happening is that another "PlaySound" action occurs before the first sound is finished, especially if the .wav files are long enough.

EDIT: Action #26 in this list:

http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/scripting/actions/bgeeactions.htm#20
    I have come across a weird little Lilarcor bug/quirk. When Kivan has the sword in his immediate to-hand inventory (even if not actually equipped) he and Lilarcor have short conversations. These started normally after he got Lilarcor, and I got through to the third conversation when it got buggy. When Kivan pipes up with "Lawrence Lilarcor, must you speak up again?", the first and second dialogue options result with a last screen that is definitely odd: the sword makes his comment, and instead of another option for dialogue, it has "NO VALID REPLIES OR LINKS" (and yes, in capitals) where the response line should be, and instead of the "Continue" button down the bottom of the screen, it repeats the sword's comments in the box instead. Options three and four from the responses on the first conversation screen didn't have this problem. It wasn't a deal breaker, as I could still click on either the "No valid replies" line or the weird button down the bottom without a game crash. I just thought I would log it, though.
    edited August 2014
    Updating the bugs that need to be fixed list. Thanks @Avenel for bringing up these new bugs. Though, I did get the Lilarcor talking while not being equipped bug.

4. Kivan having a broken shield in his inventory.
    Solution: One could always EEKeeper a Large Shield with an armor class bonus of 1, and a special +1 vs missile weapons.

5. Lilarcor speaking without him being equipped.
    Solution: There is none, because it doesn't cause a CTD, but I'll put this here under needs fixing.

Bugs that need to be checked:

1. Potential CTD after the "Brightest Star of Ao" talk. Not able to reproduce, so no solution until someone can reproduce it consistently.

2. NO VALID REPLIES OR LINKS in the third Lilarcor banter.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Many thanks for working on this mod, can't wait til it's up and bug free!!
    @SapphireIce101 - thanks for making the list above. I have a couple of new things to add:

1. During the Unseeing Eye quest, I had a consistent game crash when Kivan pipes up after you heal the monster in the temple (his opening dialogue is "How did you know to do this, mellonamin? To heal this monster?"). Choosing the first response line of "It's the oldest trick in the book, Master Elf." produces the crash, and I replicated it every time I picked that response. Choosing responses 2 and 3 didn't have the crash, and I was able to access the following dialogue trees. This sounds very similar to the bug in the Saradush prayer talk in ToB.

2. I had a random dialogue with Kivan pop up when I was in Rasaad's heretics temple. Kivan started with "The Keep of the De'Arnise is a sombre place." but it didn't link to anything (ie no other NPC or Charname), and when I clicked the continue button, the dialogue ended. I can't recall who this dialogue was supposed to be with, or if it was with Charname. Just another little oddity to log.
    i had those too.
    No problem! Updating the list again. I always thought #2 was a random interjection he did, but on the off chance it isn't, I'm going to put it under needs to be checked, mostly because I'm not sure if its an interjection gone wrong, a banter gone wrong, or what have you.

Confirmed Bugs:

4. Kivan having a broken shield in his inventory.
    Solution: One could always EEKeeper a Large Shield with an armor class bonus of 1, and a special +1 vs missile weapons.

5. Lilarcor speaking without him being equipped.
    Solution: There is none, because it doesn't cause a CTD, but I'll put this here under needs fixing.

6. Kivan asking how you defeated the monster in the temple during the Unseeing Eye Quest leads to CTD.
    Solution: Pick options 2 or 3.

Bugs that need to be checked:

1. Potential CTD after the "Brightest Star of Ao" talk. Not able to reproduce, so no solution until someone can reproduce it consistently.

2. NO VALID REPLIES OR LINKS in the third Lilarcor banter.

3. Kivan saying "The Keep of the De'Arnise is a sombre place." in a place that isn't De'Arnise Keep, as well as nobody answering him when he says that. Not quite sure if this is an interjection or banter.
    Another update: I had the same game crash with Edwin in my party ( I don't usually take him along, but this time, I wanted to see if I had the same problem). At an outdoor rest, the Kivan and Edwin banter starts up, and I get to the fourth dialogue screen (Kivan's "A spell could only be used once or thrice a day, while my arrows have no such limitation"), and when you click on 'continue', that's when the crash occurs. Interestingly, that banter didn't pop up when resting in an inn, so maybe there is a limited way to have Edwin in the party for a short while so long as you don't rest outside.

Now I'm off to Brynnlaw....
    I've come across a couple of issues in the Sahuagin city-of-caverns as follows:

1. The portrait for Jozzi the Seasnake is blurry and poor quality given the upgrade to EE (it isn't that bad, but I thought I would note it anyway); and

2. Jozzi never respawned for me after the mad shark king is killed, so I couldn't give her the breathing nose ring. She is supposed to spawn on the upper right side of the fish king's royal chamber. Because she doesn't appear, the party misses out on 10,000 experience points, 10,000 gold, and a pearl necklace. Did anyone else have this same problem?