Skip to content

Jon Irenicus - madman or genius?

Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
Jon Irenicus decided to use his considerable magical powers to create a unique guardian for his dungeon. And what did he come up with?

A Sewage Golem.

Now since a Flesh Golem is made of flesh and a Clay Golem is made of clay, I'm guessing a Sewage Golem really doesn't smell like a summer meadow. However, you've got to hand it to Big Jon, it's a pretty clever creation. The thing is indestructible: you can hit it with an axe or fire a lightning bolt at it and it won't bat an eye. In fact, it appears to be impervious to everything including, somewhat ironically, the kitchen sink.

But does Irenicus use this amazing monster to help in his quest for power and revenge? No he uses it to open the doors to his overly-elaborate sewer system.

It's no wonder he is doomed to lose in the end.

Incidentally, it is possible to pick-pocket the Sewage Golem (but make sure you wash your hands after you do)

Comments

• bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    well i also believe that he could afford let's say 5 adamandite golems for his dungeon,the question is how are you going to pass them? load 50 times till they roll 1 on all attacks? or this is a camouflaged thread for your desire to kill the golem? if so i approve
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228

Jon Irenicus - madman or genius?

Both!
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    It's one of such things... he can afford sewage golems to open his doors... but the guardians of the dungeon, quite ironically are... goblins. >.<
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    Some say there is a thin line between...
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    Genius, He made sure CHARNAME did`nt have a Glade Air Freshener like Silent Bob used to knock out the excremental in Dogma.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Madman first and foremost. Evil genius a close second.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    What about his cloning capabilities? He successfully cloned Ellisime (though a mentally disturbed one...) and thus created a technology thousands of years beyond its time!

Not to mention he also appears to have harnessed electricity with that generator in his dungeon. He could have discovered an alternate energy source to magic!

Also, as far as I'm aware in the Forgotten Realms universe, higher Intelligence = more potent magic. There is no need for explaining this one.

Yes, he is certainly a genius though his mind has taken quite a toll from his past experiences...

• TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    Heinrich said:

What about his cloning capabilities? He successfully cloned Ellisime (though a mentally disturbed one...) and thus created a technology thousands of years beyond its time!

Cloning is magic in AD&D, look at manshoon leader of Zhenthil keep who cloned himself countless times
  • n0classn0class Member Posts: 10
    He's a mad genius.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    well, you know there is another thread i was posting on talking about the fact that irenicus didn't have toilets in his dungeon and everyone was wondering exactly what he did with all of it. Since he couldn't get rid of it like we do, i guess now we know, huh?

So, i've got this pile of feces. I don't feel like cleaning it, let's just give it life and then it can throw itself away? Pure genius.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    Razor said:

Some say there is a thin line between...

And he stole its soul.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    There's a fine line between insanity and genius that often its hard to tell.
    well the fine line between madness and genius is usually success. I guess you would have to say he's genius in that he succeed where many would think him mad. He stole your soul. He failed in the end, but that wasn't because of he was insane, but because he trusted bohdi, who should have killed you as soon as she was told. But she decided to play with you, giving the slayer time to manifest itself and defeat her.
    from there, things went downhill for him.

don't get me wrong, i don't like him. i think anyone that would go to such lengths to steal your soul for no reason except that you're a lil different, is evil beyond anything i can appreciate. add to it that he was foolish enough to lose his soul, never showed remorse, no, i hate him and his char with a passion. His room in the first dungeon could have just been a piece of his soul or a motivational tool to keep him focused, maybe something to tell himself, when this is over, i'll appreciate this stuff again. Or, it could have been bohdi's room. who know?
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    Johnaleth simply worked with what he had. What's there in the sewers? Goblins and sewage. Just be grateful it wasn't an adamantium mine.
    @jean_luc hmmm, a goblin golem would have been awesome though, just put in blender for 30 mins and pour into mold..... damn, would have loved to seen that.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    It would be interesting to know what the powers of a Sewage Golem are. I'm guessing it can cast Stinking Cloud and Cloudkill at will. It may also be able to cast Summon Insects, Insect Plague and Cause Disease. But how do you kill the thing?

Maybe if you conjure a Greater Water Elemental it would wash it away?
    well, it can do something very special. It can dualcast loud noise and stinking cloud at the same time. It's really quite a feat. To cause him to use this innate ability, you must first successfully complete the 'Pull my Finger' quest that he offers.

Man, i'm just wrong tonight.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    He is more genius than madman. I like his quotes very much. Also, later in the game his reasons for being what he is are revealed. He is not just the next villain who is evil just for the sake of being evil. He suffered too much...
    @Djimmy yeah, but much like everyone else around him, he suffered by his own hands. I have no pity for him, because it was his own power and greed that led to his ruin, and a true genius should have realized this. I think he was quite mad UNTIL he lost his soul, and that pushed his across to the line of genus by neccesity.

he was an odd one, after all.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Permidion_Stark Would it be a floater or a sinker?
    LadyRhian said:

@Permidion_Stark Would it be a floater or a sinker?

By all that is holy let us pray it's a sinker because if that thing is a floater we will never be able to get rid of it.

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Permidion_Stark We could feed it to an Otyugh or Neo-Otyugh...
    edited August 2012
    @LadyRhian I think you may have found the solution. And it was staring me in the face all along. Presumably that's why the Sewage Golem keeps all the doors locked. If he doesn't the Otyugh will get out and eat him.
    Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    edited August 2012
    @Permidion_Stark
    You have a faulty assumption in your original premise....one does not preclude the other...he can be both at the same time.
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    Bjjorick said:

@jean_luc hmmm, a goblin golem would have been awesome though, just put in blender for 30 mins and pour into mold..... damn, would have loved to seen that.

We call that a flesh golem.. Although if made purely out of goblins, it would mostly likely be green

• JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    He is a genius with immense power seeking revenge.

Man I wish you didn't had to kill him, I really liked the guy and wish that he either got his revenge or forgiving the Seldarine. Having him toned down in power and then thrown into your party would be legendary.

"I... I do not remember your love, Ellesime. I have tried. I have tried to recreate it, to spark it anew in my memory, but it is gone... a hollow, dead thing. For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. And then nothing. The Seldarine took that from me, too. I look upon you and feel nothing. I remember nothing but you turning your back on me, along with all the others. Once my thirst for power was everything. And now I hunger only for revenge. And I... WILL... HAVE IT!!"
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    Why must insanity and genius be independent of one another?

It is confirmed that Irenicus is at least a genius. As for a "madman", that's entirely subjective. Is revenge insane? Is stealing the eggs of a Silver Dragon matriarch insane? Is instigating conflict in the Underdark insane? Killing Cowled Wizards? The will to sacrifice your own race to further your own goals?

Insanity implies that you may and likely are unable to understand or accept the consequences of your actions.

I think that Irenicus was a genius with a very dark calling. He made all of the choices regarding my above questions consciously and willfully, and this does not make him mad. It makes him quite intelligent...and quite, quite Evil.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Genius Irenicus: "You got chocolate on my peanut butter."

Madman Irenicus: "You got peanut butter on my chocolate."
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2012
    I really wish sometimes there was a way for redemption to Irenicus.

He made bad choices that became evil choices and ended up destroying himself and those he loved.