Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Wild Surge weakened

I've been have needs in my party and she's the first wild mage I've used. Just wanted to ask, when a wild surge hits and weakens the caster, does it wear off?

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,413
    Yes it does. Most effects are temporary, including polymorph into animal and sex change surges. A few ones are permanent, like bright color change:this requires a dispel magic IIRC to cure.

jackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Lost gold does not come back either D:

lunar
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,686
    Death by cow or demon from the abyss is pretty permanent as well.

jackjackMontresor_SPthe_spyder
  • cognoscentuscognoscentus Member Posts: 65
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,148
    There is one wild surge that polymorphs you into a squirrel. It is currently bugged in that it kills you and spawns a generic squirrel on your corpse, but I think that one is supposed to be permanent too (but dispellable).

jackjack
    edited April 2014
    Tresset said:

There is one wild surge that polymorphs you into a squirrel. It is currently bugged in that it kills you and spawns a generic squirrel on your corpse, but I think that one is supposed to be permanent too (but dispellable).

I thought this was fixed in the latest patch, no? Polymorph other spell/wand was bugged like this, too, but I remember it being fixed. Need to test.

My wild mage died suddenly from a wild surge, it was not a lightning bolt, fireball, cow or petrification, was not a spellcaster targeted (was attempting an innocent dispel magic anyway) and was not squirellifaction (no chunk, my guy just gave up and dropped to the ground with an 'uungh') I believe he got the 'weakened' wild surge which is str-6, he was strength drained by a shadow previously so he had exactly 6 strength, and it reached zero, his heart muscles did not have enough strength left to pump blood etc, yada yada. (Note to protagonist:obey your gym schedule! Especially cardio!)

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,148
    edited April 2014
    lunar said:

Tresset said:

I thought this was fixed in the latest patch, no? Polymorph other spell/wand was bugged like this, too, but I remember it being fixed. Need to test.
    When I reported the bug originally (and had to argue with the devs that Polymorph Other should not work like Finger of Death) I briefly mentioned the wild surge version of it but I think they forgot. I have recently remembered that they forgot and made a new report so it should be fixed eventually.
    lunar said:

My wild mage died suddenly from a wild surge, it was not a lightning bolt, fireball, cow or petrification, was not a spellcaster targeted (was attempting an innocent dispel magic anyway) and was not squirellifaction (no chunk, my guy just gave up and dropped to the ground with an 'uungh') I believe he got the 'weakened' wild surge which is str-6, he was strength drained by a shadow previously so he had exactly 6 strength, and it reached zero, his heart muscles did not have enough strength left to pump blood etc, yada yada. (Note to protagonist:obey your gym schedule! Especially cardio!)

I am guessing that you had the squirrel surge but the game difficulty was set to normal so you didn't chunk? Strength drain doesn't kill.

elminster
    @Tresset Nope I was on core rules. And any attribute drained to zero is insta kill AFAIK. Most mages can afford running around with 6 strength, wild mages can not as a single weakened surge will kill them.

meagloth
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    Is the squirrel thing permanent until dispelled? Would be fun to do the trilogy as the squirrel of doom

• CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Tresset said:

Or the squirrel appears within the wild mage's body and then gruesomely bites and claws it's way out in a scene of unbearable bloodshed and gore. :P

Squirrels are dangerous, after all.
    http://horrorpediadotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/squirrels-poster.jpg

MacHurtoMontresor_SPlunarSCARY_WIZARD
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Tresset said:

Hmm...

wild surge. Sex change to female.

Wild surge. Polymorph into squirrel.

Boo looks over with 'Bedroom eyes'.

dementedMacHurtolunarjackjack
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    edited April 2014
    @the_spyder‌
    As @booinyoureyes‌ would say: that's how you unlock the Boo romance

booinyoureyes
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,431
    Calmar said:

Tresset said:

Or the squirrel appears within the wild mage's body and then gruesomely bites and claws it's way out in a scene of unbearable bloodshed and gore. :P

Squirrels are dangerous, after all.
    http://horrorpediadotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/squirrels-poster.jpg
    I AM SKWYRLKANDORR, CONSUMER OF ALZOLL AND NDULU!