Skip to content

Wild Surge weakened

I've been have needs in my party and she's the first wild mage I've used. Just wanted to ask, when a wild surge hits and weakens the caster, does it wear off?

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Yes it does. Most effects are temporary, including polymorph into animal and sex change surges. A few ones are permanent, like bright color change:this requires a dispel magic IIRC to cure.
    jackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Lost gold does not come back either D:
    lunar
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Death by cow or demon from the abyss is pretty permanent as well.
    jackjackMontresor_SPthe_spyder
  • cognoscentuscognoscentus Member Posts: 65
    @Lemernis‌ No, that's how I read it too.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    There is one wild surge that polymorphs you into a squirrel. It is currently bugged in that it kills you and spawns a generic squirrel on your corpse, but I think that one is supposed to be permanent too (but dispellable).
    jackjack
    edited April 2014
    Tresset said:

There is one wild surge that polymorphs you into a squirrel. It is currently bugged in that it kills you and spawns a generic squirrel on your corpse, but I think that one is supposed to be permanent too (but dispellable).

I thought this was fixed in the latest patch, no? Polymorph other spell/wand was bugged like this, too, but I remember it being fixed. Need to test.

My wild mage died suddenly from a wild surge, it was not a lightning bolt, fireball, cow or petrification, was not a spellcaster targeted (was attempting an innocent dispel magic anyway) and was not squirellifaction (no chunk, my guy just gave up and dropped to the ground with an 'uungh') I believe he got the 'weakened' wild surge which is str-6, he was strength drained by a shadow previously so he had exactly 6 strength, and it reached zero, his heart muscles did not have enough strength left to pump blood etc, yada yada. (Note to protagonist:obey your gym schedule! Especially cardio!)
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited April 2014
    lunar said:

Tresset said:

I thought this was fixed in the latest patch, no? Polymorph other spell/wand was bugged like this, too, but I remember it being fixed. Need to test.
    When I reported the bug originally (and had to argue with the devs that Polymorph Other should not work like Finger of Death) I briefly mentioned the wild surge version of it but I think they forgot. I have recently remembered that they forgot and made a new report so it should be fixed eventually.
    lunar said:

My wild mage died suddenly from a wild surge, it was not a lightning bolt, fireball, cow or petrification, was not a spellcaster targeted (was attempting an innocent dispel magic anyway) and was not squirellifaction (no chunk, my guy just gave up and dropped to the ground with an 'uungh') I believe he got the 'weakened' wild surge which is str-6, he was strength drained by a shadow previously so he had exactly 6 strength, and it reached zero, his heart muscles did not have enough strength left to pump blood etc, yada yada. (Note to protagonist:obey your gym schedule! Especially cardio!)

I am guessing that you had the squirrel surge but the game difficulty was set to normal so you didn't chunk? Strength drain doesn't kill.
    elminster
    @Tresset Nope I was on core rules. And any attribute drained to zero is insta kill AFAIK. Most mages can afford running around with 6 strength, wild mages can not as a single weakened surge will kill them.
    meagloth
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    Is the squirrel thing permanent until dispelled? Would be fun to do the trilogy as the squirrel of doom
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Tresset said:

Or the squirrel appears within the wild mage's body and then gruesomely bites and claws it's way out in a scene of unbearable bloodshed and gore. :P

Squirrels are dangerous, after all.
    http://horrorpediadotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/squirrels-poster.jpg
    MacHurtoMontresor_SPlunarSCARY_WIZARD
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Tresset said:

Hmm...

wild surge. Sex change to female.

Wild surge. Polymorph into squirrel.

Boo looks over with 'Bedroom eyes'.

dementedMacHurtolunarjackjack
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    edited April 2014
    @the_spyder‌
    As @booinyoureyes‌ would say: that's how you unlock the Boo romance
    booinyoureyes
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Calmar said:

Tresset said:

Or the squirrel appears within the wild mage's body and then gruesomely bites and claws it's way out in a scene of unbearable bloodshed and gore. :P

Squirrels are dangerous, after all.
    http://horrorpediadotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/squirrels-poster.jpg
    I AM SKWYRLKANDORR, CONSUMER OF ALZOLL AND NDULU!