Skip to content

Who was your first?

Who was your charname when you first finished BG? I still remember the charname pretty well, despite it being sometime in 1999-2000 when I first finished the game.

charname was a female human cleric named Clerica wielding Ashideena. I don't remember her actual stats, and I don't really remember who else was in the party.

Interesting, I don't actually remember my charname when I first finished BG:EE. I'm a pretty avid re-roller, so I can't remember which one actually finished BG:EE!

Who was your first?

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    First character to finish BG1 was a pure class fighter with 18/18/18/10/10/12 in stats. Once i figured out that i could start with 14 health, sell the ring of wizardry to gain the full plate and then pick up the longsword +2 i was hooked.

First character to finish BG2 was a solo blade, oddly enough.
  • iuventasiuventas Member Posts: 95
    Hmm. I didn't finish BG properly before I was 12 or so and the Charnames before that are a blur, but I'm certain the first one was a female paladin with a two handed sword. Because no matter what statistics say, it always was and always will be the most climatic weapon to me:)
    Also, later there is Carsomyr.
  • EffinyEffiny Member Posts: 378
    I never finished BG1 (shame on me!), but I finished BG2 many, many times. My first Charname (whereby I finished BG2+datadisk) was Undead Hunter. I played for this class repeatedly. Later, I crushed into Kensai class. The love remains but I'll never forget about Undead Hunter. ;-)
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Ninafer, elven fighter/mage who has been my starting character in fantasy games since my old PnP AD&D games.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Human fighter. Madara. Dualled to mage in 2. Although i own the series since day one of the original BG1 complete pack (1 + expansion), only recently i got to finish it properly and replay (2-3 years ago, curse that diablo for loosing on such a masterpiece over such a long time).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    First to beat ToB was a female undead hunter. I don't remember what I first beat BG1 with though I suspect it was a bard.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited May 2014
    First character was an elven male cleric. He has killed Firkraag with a Holy smite back then which I thought was the best.spell.ever! Lol

My first character to beat bg2 was a human cleric dualled into mage. (I was beginning to see the true power) I remember battling the tree of life Irenicus. A friend was with me and he himself was a chronic restarter so he never got that far in the game, we both loved and feared Irenicus's power. We were thinking he would fight like he does in the cutscenes versus cowled wizards, like :bam!: you are dead. He didn't, ofcourse, which slightly dissapointed us but he still managed to kill my character once with a wail of the banshee in a time stop. We reloaded and killed him good, though. Imagine our surprise when the game did not end when we beat him, only to be dragged down to hell. We thought 'woah it is like the final act of Diablo 2, (pandomenium fortress) only better!' Aah, good times, good times.. ^^
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    Vanilla ranger. Never played the class again.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    9/15/11/17/12/14 Elven Mage/Thief short sword + and TWS +. I used a crossbow 90% of the game and ended with only 17 kills ;P and 67k XP.
    My level one spells were Find Familiar and Shield, my CON ended at 3 XD!!
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Clerics, Rangers and Paladins... "Aah, we are all heroes now!"

Actually my first attempt at any RPG is usually a knight of some sort... Heavy armour, sword and board.
    I just figure it's usually the easiest way to get to know the system, and most campaigns suit an heroic figure... I also like slapping on the cool new armour/weaponry I just found!

Next play is a stealthy sniper/ backstabber/ thief. A less moral approach.

Mages come 3rd run as they usually involve the greatest amount of game knowledge to use effectively.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited May 2014
    First to beat BG1 with: Ranger, after I was told that my Bard was a bad choice... (back in 2000 I think)
    First to beat SoA with: Swashbuckler - I would have done ToB with him but my TOB CD had a scratch or an error, game kep crashing all the time, 2003.
    First to beat ToB with: Lenne, female elven Fighter/Thief badass (only two years ago)
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    My first was a wild mage and don't remember anything beyond that.
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    As big a fan I am of the BG games, I didn't actually beat BG1 until I beat BGII the first time—Ironically. I do remember beating SoA with a swashbuckler. Oddly enough the character was able to resist my rerollitis long enough to beat BGII. Afterwards, I've beaten BG1 numerous times with various characters. No idea which one was the first lol
  • TurinTurin Member Posts: 42
    Paladin all the way through, BG1 to ToB. It took me literally years though. Partially because BG2 didn't work well until my family got a new computer, partially because I sucked.

Also remember not taking the lore too seriously. I definitely had Viconia and Sarevok in my party at the end. Not knowing that their alignment could be changed and not wanting them to leave the party in anger, I gave evil answers to much of their dialogue :)
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I didn't know anything about D&D at the time. I've actually never even heard of D&D before at the time. I just picked a pure class fighter, and equipped him with everything I could without knowing anything about proficiencies. I got bored of it and stopped playing after a short while because I found the game very difficult. Some time later I took the time to actually learn the rules, and I fell in love with the game.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Oh, wow, that's a lot longer than I thought it was going to be.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    So long ago... and as I recall, I restarted many, many times to try out all different classes and races. I think the first time I completed BG1 was with a female human mage called Neftis who died an awful lot at first, but I persevered and eventually got her through to the end.

With BG2 I made a male fighter named Ironside, because of Michael Ironside, obviously. Also I wanted a male because I knew there were romances and wanted to try those. I think Jaheira was the first romance I did because the game just seems to push you in that direction (Aerie did rapidly become one of my favorites though, as despite all her problems she's so determined and brave and sweet and reminded me a lot of some real women I knew who had been through terrible things and are like that as well, and more importantly like someone who wouldn't painting miniatures with me).

So when ToB came along, I made another new character to play through the whole saga with. This time an elven fighter/mage named Anaryl (I think I just took the name from a White Dwarf magazine), and romanced Aerie (not really overly pleased with the turn her romance took in ToB though). So anyway, he became the character I completed the entire game with, but obviously there have been who I've played through at least part of the game with just see different outcomes to quests and try out different NPC's.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    There're 2 690 words in this thread prior to my answer and yet nobody has mentioned a druid. It's quite telling ;)

But.. NO! I won't mention druids too;) Poor druids...

I have never finished ToB. The first game of the series I played was BG2 SoA and my first character to beat Irenicus was a bounty hunter. Maybe this is why I love rogues.

The first time I finished BG1 while playing the BGT and it was several years later. It was a multiclass mage/thief.

P.S. No matter who was my first, I will be the last, that's for sure!
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Funny thing is, I finished BG2 waaaay before BG. My first character to actually finish SoA, and then ToB, after several abandoned runs was a female Kensai->Mage accompanied by Annoymen Sir Anomen, Keldorn, Cernd, Imoen and Valygar.

My first (again after several severe bouts of "restarteritis") character to finish BG was an evil Fighter/Thief in the company of Kagain, Edwin, Viconia and two other NPCs - I don't remember which ones but they probably were as questionable as the first three.