Skip to content

The most logical starting character

Comments

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @reedmilfam yeah, i gotta give you that, as a child, i practiced ha-oou-kins after playing street fighter 2 all the day long and never learned to throw them.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    On a related note, I had thoughts about BG III. I loved the idea of Origins for DA and think something like that could be used for BG... For instance, sort of a section where you're a child with choices and stories. Maybe on the streets, you can look into different 'actions' a la Neverwinter Nights and those actions unlock a story line that takes you from LVL 0 human to LVL 1 (something). Running away into the woods unlocks, for instance, Druid/Ranger/Monk (at a monestary type place)/Barbarian story lines. Falling in with rogues opens the thiefly-type things and whatnot.

Temple in the town would unlock cleric/paladin.

As a mage, you can have a falling out and remain unschooled (wild mage). For warriors, it's sort of the 'helping the guardsmen' type thing.

Anyway, it'd be HUGE, but sort of fun to be a child that develops into our character. As a child, you have to, for instance, choose whether to be taken in by those who would 'help' you (opens certain skills) or hold out (this would, I think, end you in the rogue, bard and possibly sorceror strand). It gives chances to meet some NPC's that are skill-less early, but might appear later?

I don't know. I guess it has to do with me wanting to break from the 'mysterious origins and now is suddenly a skilled and ready to take on the wide world.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Personally I never once had a hard time finding a reason why a charname of any class or race would be in candle keep....perhaps I am overly imaginative ;)
  • Xar105Xar105 Member Posts: 112
    I thing the most logical character is Warrior or Mage (Human,Elves or half Elves race), Because Our Mentor is Gorion (Mage) and this very good look when you play mage, you are young and Gorion teach you some magic. Warrior because your best friend is Imoen (Mage/Thief) and Warrior good look like tanky heavy armory guy. Well this is my look :P.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    edited August 2012
    Pretty much all of the classes can have logic in there. Mage, because Gorion was a mage. Cleric, with the priests that were there. Thief doesn't always necessarily mean pickpocketing and stealing. Perhaps you were sneaking around and opening locks all the time to sneak out at night and such. Imoen has a penchant for mischief, and there's the pickpocketing aspect of things. Paladin and Druid seem like a "calling" as opposed to "training" oriented. And barbarian makes sense in that aspect too because all you need is a temper, as well as a fighting spirit and you can call yourself a barbarian.

What makes the most sense to me is a Bard! You had a thief friend (Imoen) and a mage foster father, as well ALL those books (lore) as well as other tutors. You have the "jack-of-all-trades" thing going on here, so I could totally see the PC being a bard!

What makes the LEAST sense to me is a Ranger and a Monk. A Monk requires more of a fighting aspect to be considered a monk, it includes spiritual training as well. Then the Ranger, who is a woodsman. You're STUCK in candlekeep where there are no woods to speak of. I love the logic that "You start at level one and then when you leave that's where your training really begins." This would make sense for almost every class because you start finding what your strong suit is, and you being to learn. But this logic IMO doesn't fit in with the monk STILL. I really don't see anyone being a Monk when you're raised in candlekeep.

Edited for Grammar whoopsies.
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    Bard
  • sparrow13sparrow13 Member Posts: 30
    It's simple really. The most logical starting character is whatever character you'd like to play most.

Boom.
  • e3r4t5yne3r4t5yn Member Posts: 42
    Human fighter. Develop the base and dual then. Enjoy ;)
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    When I look around Candlekeep, I see mostly guards and scholars, with the exception of a few sneaks. Further, most are human. This leads me to say that a human fighter or human mage are the most likely to come out of there, and possibly a thief. The only exception is that scholars can encompass the cleric class, although it's a bit of a stretch in my view, and the priest of oghma doesn't look like an ideal rolemodel for any aspiring cleric, compared to say the clergy of the temples or the knights of the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart in BG2.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Sceptenar said:

Ranger, thief and druid all make less sense, I think for obvious reasons.

Why do thieves make less sense? Not that obvious to me.
    Because Charname was raide by a lawful good mage.

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    hmmm, i've decided i was wrong on my answer earlier. The most logical starting character would be......a bhaalspawn.

Sorry, odd troll moment. *looks around nervously for any sources of acid*
  • DreamDream Member Posts: 52
    Sorcerer seems logical given the god blood.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606

Sceptenar said:

Ranger, thief and druid all make less sense, I think for obvious reasons.

Why do thieves make less sense? Not that obvious to me.
    Because Charname was raide by a lawful good mage.

Rebelling is a natural part of growing up.
  • happslapphappslapp Member Posts: 53
    i usually go with a half-elf mage/thief. lots of books and a daddy like Gorion makes the mage reasonable and i am naturally a mischievous person so i like the thief abilities
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Xavioria said:

Pretty much all of the classes can have logic in there. Mage, because Gorion was a mage. Cleric, with the priests that were there. Thief doesn't always necessarily mean pickpocketing and stealing. Perhaps you were sneaking around and opening locks all the time to sneak out at night and such. Imoen has a penchant for mischief, and there's the pickpocketing aspect of things. Paladin and Druid seem like a "calling" as opposed to "training" oriented. And barbarian makes sense in that aspect too because all you need is a temper, as well as a fighting spirit and you can call yourself a barbarian.

What makes the most sense to me is a Bard! You had a thief friend (Imoen) and a mage foster father, as well ALL those books (lore) as well as other tutors. You have the "jack-of-all-trades" thing going on here, so I could totally see the PC being a bard!

What makes the LEAST sense to me is a Ranger and a Monk. A Monk requires more of a fighting aspect to be considered a monk, it includes spiritual training as well. Then the Ranger, who is a woodsman. You're STUCK in candlekeep where there are no woods to speak of. I love the logic that "You start at level one and then when you leave that's where your training really begins." This would make sense for almost every class because you start finding what your strong suit is, and you being to learn. But this logic IMO doesn't fit in with the monk STILL. I really don't see anyone being a Monk when you're raised in candlekeep.

Edited for Grammar whoopsies.

Almost every god on Faerun has an order of monks. I doubt Oghma is immune.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    edited August 2012
    The logic for me is a Human (Mother is a priestess of Bhaal) Paladin/Fighter/Mage/Cleric/Thief/Bard with the following influences in Candlekeep.

Paladin - A mix of church/priests and guards.
    Fighter - Guards
    Mage - Gorion, Spell Books in library
    Cleric - Priests
    Thief - Imoen
    Bard - Jack of all trades with the above influences.

• Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    The canon protagonist is a human fighter, so if you want to follow canon you can make a fighter named Abdel.
    The Canon party members of BG1 are Imoen (Thief->Mage), Khalid (Fighter), Jaheira (Fighter/druid), Minsc (Ranger) and Dynaheir (Invoker). That makes it: 2.5 warriors, 2 mages, 0.5 priests and no rogues. That means that a main character should be a Cleric/Thief multiclass, since Jaheira can't do enough healing and can't turn undead, while thieves are basically needed for lockpicking/trap finding, so you can just focus on these skills. The only race that can be a Cleric/Thief is Gnome.
    So logically speaking our hero should be a Gnome Cleric/Thief. Fuck logic.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    edited August 2012
    @Doom972 Imoen is a Thief and then becomes a Mage/Thief. So you do have thief abilities in your team

@Doom972 Imoen is a Thief and then becomes a Mage/Thief. So you do have thief abilities in your team

Yes, but she's dual-classed, which means that in the long run her thief skills won't be that useful.
    Even if I count her as half a mage and half a thief, it still means that the party has 0.5 priests and 0.5 rogues, so my point still holds.
    Doom972 said:

Yes, but she's dual-classed, which means that in the long run her thief skills won't be that useful.
    Even if I count her as half a mage and half a thief, it still means that the party has 0.5 priests and 0.5 rogues, so my point still holds.

Your posts make me want to try and convince one of my friends to roll a multi-classed gnome when we play BG:EE multiplayer together. Cut it out. I hate being That Guy.
  • taletotelltaletotell Member Posts: 74
    How did everyone miss that elf is an illogical race? You are 20~ years old. An elf at that age is a little child, right? Also bhaal may like rabbits but who is going to sex up a gnome? I
    mean really.
    Elves are long-lived. Full stop. That doesn't imply that they take longer to physically and mentally mature, because that's silly.

Doom972 said:

Your posts make me want to try and convince one of my friends to roll a multi-classed gnome when we play BG:EE multiplayer together. Cut it out. I hate being That Guy.
    You can always just be the gnome, instead of making someone else go through that. Be a good friend.
    @Doom972

Nobody would take a gnome Blackguard seriously!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited August 2012
    @Xavioria

aren't the guys in green all around Candlekeep described as being monks? I mean when you put your cursor over them they are "tutors" but the intro text at the beginning of bg calls them monks.

@Doom972

Of course they won't. That would be silly. Make him a jester.
    Doom972 said:

@Doom972

But...how will I be brooding, grimdark, and totally rad and tormented as a jester?

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Play as Chuck Norris. He plays to win. Full of win.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,063
    @taletotell
    Have you ever played Throne of Bhaal?
    If a dragon found the time to grow up and bear a child (which also grew up), then an elf's slower aging cannot be an issue.
    edited August 2012

Doom972 said:

@Doom972

But...how will I be brooding, grimdark, and totally rad and tormented as a jester?

Make him an ironic emo jester. To make him totally rad, have him use burning hands on anyone that looks at him funny.