Skip to content

Who's sick of the world cup?

kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
Not only is the ball the wrong shape, it seems to be bouncing through every ad on the telly and every page in the newspapers? does anyone else wish the damn thing would just totally bounce away?

p.s This is a very tongue in cheek thread. I don't mean I'd seriously boot all footballers and football fans off the planet ... well maybe David Bloody Beckham

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Well, I wouldnt mind if all non-Netherlands coverage disapeared. ;)
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    I think I shall be fair, when Wimbledon rolls around. I love tennis, but I'll see if anyone is sick of that in two weeks time.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Better than hand-egg.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited June 2014
    Nope. I'm in America, so I have heard practically nothing about it, aside from what little the sports fans around here(the forums, that is) say, and the general buzz that the world cup is on and Americans should finally start liking so, err... Football. So, not sick of it, but rest assured when the Olympics happen to come by again I will once again be coloring my ears and saying LALALALALALA very loudly.
    Post edited by meagloth on
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I never understood football's popularity and as such I never really care if there is world cup or any other championships. But I think football is overrated, as there is no factor that would make it any better than any other sport discipline.
    @ZelgadisGW‌ there is one big difference between football and other sports is the replacement of the arms wih the feet. Its really nifty on this point imo.

@kiwidoc‌ what do you think of women's tennis? I dont care much for watching mens tennis, but womens is more entertaining. And prettier, but thats neither here nor there!
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @DreadKhan‌ Fair enough (and obvious). How that exactly makes football more interesting than anything else?
    Because almost any sport that involves manipulating an object (throwing a ball, volleyball, golf, hockey, any game allowing carrying something, tennis, badminton, etc) rely on using your hands/arms or extensions of them. Football is pretty unique on this.
    @kiwidoc lots of women like that tall, wirey look common to football players. Both types of atheletes though would have 'good legs', and likely be pretty fit, but I would expect more upper body bulk on a rugby player, but less than an American football player would have.

I generally think the womens game of tennis requires more thinking, since men rely so much on power.

@Anduin‌ Canadians would say that people play football because they cant afford ice, and like games that arent too exciting. ;) Hockey is much faster, but like many, I'm lately more impressed with the larger, passing oriented game played on larger International ice vs the contact heavy concussion causing NHL.

Watching Football is more meditative for hockey fans, but it really has a lovely flowing nature hockey's jerkiness makes impossible.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited June 2014
    its the best sport in the world whilst simultaneously being one of the most accessible

also king Arthur played football
    kiwidoc said:

* You're a New Zealander and the ball's the wrong bloody shape.

its ball shaped
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Anduin said:

Reasons to like football.

There is no pulling or shoving as your foot cannot grasp the ball.

No pulling or shoving? That doesn't describe any football (soccer) game I've ever watched or played. ;-)

• TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Anduin said:

My reasons to not like football are crud, give me your list!

-games are very often decided by players flopping around the pitch like fish.
    I love football, but still, that is a real pain imo.
    Archaos said:

I avoid the stupid TV and I'm a happier man.

I haven't owned one for 5 years.
    edited June 2014
    @element whereas a rugby ball is shaped more like an inflated pigs or cows bladder - which is of course where the original balls came from :P Don't take my digs to seriously, as a kiwi I'm genetically obliged to take the mickey out of football just a weeee bit ... but believe it or not it's my English husband who actually hates the game!

@DradKhan It's the forwards who have the heavy upper build. The backs and the wings have long, lean bodies built for running and swerving, but very powerful thighs and legs built for power as well as speed. all of this makes for glorious bums lovely sculpted under those tight, tight black shorts . oooh ... wanders off to fan herself before the temperature gets too high!

@Archaos and @jackjack ... but how do you watch Game of Thrones?
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    edited June 2014
    Since I'm American, the only way for me to care about soccer football is if its the women's team in the Olympics, and that's because whenever it comes to the Olympics, the men's soccer football team seems to disappoint every time.

So, no, I'm not really sick of the world cup as I really don't care about it.
    @kiwidoc‌ I watch it on iTunes a year later than everyone else.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited June 2014
    @kiwidoc Download the episodes or watch them online. Without ads or breaks or crappy quality or whatever.

Since it's a TV show and it's free to watch on the TV, it's technically the same as recording it yourself and watching it later.

Also where I'm from GoT is not shown on the TV. So it's not like a I have a choice either way.
    It's not TV. It's HBO.
    (It's also not free)
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @jackjack Oh well.
    The only advantage to watching a program on the telly, instead of online on my PC is that I can sit with hubby - and put my feet up. And we aren't recommending piracy are we Horribly overacted shock, horror and dismay Seriously that could get the thread shut down.
    kiwidoc said:

The only advantage to watching a program on the telly, instead of online on my PC is that I can sit with hubby - and put my feet up. And we aren't recommending piracy are we Horribly overacted shock, horror and dismay Seriously that could get the thread shut down.

Yea, it's best not to put such things on an online forum for all to see. I believe an established forumite was banished for admitting to pirating the game. It's plausible that you could get some kind of warning, or at least some red font from dee.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

Ah... the days when Jeremy Menez still played for Roma
    Good time... but not really
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I have two uncles who go nuts when watching sports. I don't like sports.
    Tresset said:

I have two uncles who go nuts when watching sports. I don't like sports.

I generally find sports(organized sports ledges, at least) a waste of time, money, and resources. But hey, it ain't my money/time, and as long as it stays that way, were cool.(YOU HEAR THAT, GYM CLASS?!)
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Love the World Cup, especially this one. Many great games so far, a lot of goals, already a couple of nice surprises, hell I'm even playing less Baldur's Gate and visiting the forums less than normally, which is quite something.
    Also, the World Cup might well be the only argument in favor the planet's division into countries.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    kiwidoc said:

@element whereas a rugby ball is shaped more like an inflated pigs or cows bladder - which is of course where the original balls came from :P Don't take my digs to seriously, as a kiwi I'm genetically obliged to take the mickey out of football just a weeee bit ... but believe it or not it's my English husband who actually hates the game!

yeh I know ur just poking fun :)

I love football but I don't really take it too seriously