Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Democrats increased taxes on the rich during the Obama administration. Some of my family members are in the 1% and their taxes most definitely went up. Though unlike some rich people, they didn't mind contributing to the nation.

Taxes are one of the places where the two major parties are NOT alike. The GOP advocates tax cuts, and implements them when in power. The Democratic party says the opposite and does the opposite.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    The crowd goes mild during the inaugural parade

• TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835
    edited January 2017

You know what phrases get thrown around just as much as racist and sexist?? SJW and PC.

That's why the words racist, sexist and rape don't even make people flinch anymore. Like the N word that the black community throws around like candy even towards other ethnicities.
    I went into that in detail in a previous post, and see no real reason to do so again. And rape doesn't mean anything anymore as a word?? I guess I had no idea how debased things have gotten.

I walk into a building and held the door open for a person coming towards me that happened to be a woman and got ripped apart because "I am perfectly capable of opening the door myself you......"

I was with my kids. I am a very calm man but I wanted to put my hand into this persons esophagus and rip it out. Thankfully another lady heard it and ripped into her for me. It got to the point where a crowd had gathered. The end result was the girl that I held the door for was arrested for assaulting the lady that pushed back for me. Had to go to court and the whole deal.

This is the type of behavior that must stop and this is the type of behavior that should not be tolerated in a civil society. It does not matter what pronouns or what gender you associate with. We are all people in the same game. We have to play together in order to beat the Dungeon Master.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Anyway, it's a brilliant tactic. If Trump sucks, it's the liberal's fault anyway. Not the people who voted for him because of "SJWs". They get a free pass because they are pissed you can't say n****r and f****t in public anymore without being called out on it.

I guess Bill Maher must be a racist too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3-uNxmNj5o

...and Chris Matthews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXxGPDBRUzs

edited January 2017

I walk into a building and held the door open for a person coming towards me that happened to be a woman and got ripped apart because "I am perfectly capable of opening the door myself you......"

Shame on you for assuming her gender.

• AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975

One of the first things Trump signs is an executive order stating his top priority in the Oval Office will be dismantling the Affordable Health Care act that covers some 20 million Americans. And the first post on the new alt-white house website is that Donald Trump will eliminate The Climate Action Plan a landmark climate protection plan. And he wonders why people are upset.

Bluntly, do you think any other Republican president would have done differently? Climate-change denial is a major force in the Republican Party (although not as much for Republican voters), and they've spent the last six years doing everything conceivable to stop, attack, defund and destroy Obamacare.

As I've said before, lefty people should be grateful that Trump put in charge a guy that's actually thought about and written a comprehensive and serious ACA replacement. Yes, no liberal is going to like the replacement, but that is beside the point. It was not outside the realm of possibility that the Republicans would just gut and jettison the whole thing as quickly as possible and damn the political consequences. It is better, and less people will die, with the current situation. It's about the best realistic outcome - holding out any hope that the victorious Republicans would leave the ACA alone was like holding out hope the electors would all go faithless and make President Clinton even though she lost the election.

Part of democracy is accepting that your guys don't always win, and then making the best of it. It's best to save outrage until Donald Trump does something actually outrageous, rather than doing something literally any Republican president would have done. Not least of which because widespread left-wing outrage will mean more if it is not a constant for the next four years. Boy who cried wolf, etc, etc.

On a somewhat different note, 538 has started a series on 2016 and how the mainstream media got convinced, despite the contrary evidence, that Hillary was a shoe-in which promises to be pretty interesting (and extensively sourced, as is normal for them).

The current Democratic frontrunner for 2020:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdPGVnU-Hdc

The current Democratic frontrunner for 2020:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdPGVnU-Hdc

God Bless America.

I guess Bill Maher must be a racist too:

Indeed he is. 100%.

Chris Matthews isn't, to the best of my knowledge.

This is the type of behavior that must stop and this is the type of behavior that should not be tolerated in a civil society. It does not matter what pronouns or what gender you associate with. We are all people in the same game. We have to play together in order to beat the Dungeon Master.

If the incident happened as you described, the woman overreacted, and if she assaulted another woman who stepped in, she should rightfully have been arrested and charged (and possibly steered towards appropriate mental help). But "that type of behaviour" is not common or normal, and treating it like it is is misleading. Holding the door open for anyone of any gender generally gets a "thanks" and nothing more. I doubt you or anyone else who has commonly done this would even disagree.

That being said, the original comparison was invalid. "Racist" and "sexist" are real words, not the obscure buzzwords of an internet subculture. And "PC", a purely perjorative term, while mainstream, is still not one used in serious scholarship or reporting except as a descriptor of what someone else is saying. So they're not as common (nor should they be), except on parts of the internet.

edited January 2017
    Ayiekie said:

If the incident happened as you described, the woman overreacted, and if she assaulted another woman who stepped in, she should rightfully have been arrested and charged (and possibly steered towards appropriate mental help). But "that type of behaviour" is not common or normal, and treating it like it is is misleading. Holding the door open for anyone of any gender generally gets a "thanks" and nothing more. I doubt you or anyone else who has commonly done this would even disagree.

That being said, the original comparison was invalid. "Racist" and "sexist" are real words, not the obscure buzzwords of an internet subculture. And "PC", a purely perjorative term, while mainstream, is still not one used in serious scholarship or reporting except as a descriptor of what someone else is saying. So they're not as common (nor should they be), except on parts of the internet.

I guess you don't live in the mean streets of downtown Toronto. Either way, you win. How can i debate, have a friendly discussion or take seriously someone who calls Alexander the Great "Iskander" in the English language and says that he's a Canadian with Scottish and Irish ancestry. Use words like pejorative and talk about serious scholarship while using "Iskander".

But then again this is the internetzs. You may have the last word if you wish.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/perjorative

You know what phrases get thrown around just as much as racist and sexist?? SJW and PC.

No, they don't - you even acknowledged earlier in this thread that you never even HEARD of the term SJW until the SoD controversy last year.
    edited January 2017
    This is Hilarious.

"You're a Sham!" Tucker Carlson Hilariously Exposes Hoaxster

I do not condone the uploader or this channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esam9wpYfZg
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited January 2017

Fardragon said:

This inaugural speech is straight garbage. It's a goddamn campaign speech. It's jingoistic, nationalistic, and dark.

What did you expect?!
    It was the same on the campaign, people said Hillary's horrible but there was never the hope she would be different.
    Again, to be fair, I'm certain neither candidate would have changed in any way, no matter how many chances they where given.

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Mantis37 said:

Fardragon said:

Mantis37 said:

Fardragon said:

Mantis37 said:

Meanwhile in the UK Theresa May has opted for the a quite bracingly hard Brexit. Her negotiating leverage to get what the country needs is the threat to revise our economic model into a sort of giant tax haven offshore of Europe. Like a sort of floating parasitic turd... I rather agree with an anonymous UK diplomat quoted as saying: "If you are going to sell your soul, make sure you have something to sell."

To be fair, there was never actually any alternative. Those supposing that the EU would ever agree to a "soft" Brexit where living in Cloud Cuckoo Land.
    That's one flank. I think in terms of the negotiations the EU may be regarded as Scylla, while Ukip etc. play the role of Charybdis.

First the UK's internal politics get played out on the international stage, and now the EU's 27 will get to squabble as to what crumbs to pass us. Frankly the UK hand in these negotiations is disastrously weak and a conciliatory attitude may have worked rather better than the current bravado.
    That's not actually true. The UK has the strongest military force in Europe (apart from America, obviously, but they have shown they cannot be relied upon). All they have to do is threaten to withdraw British troops from eastern Europe and Britain can demand any terms they like. Of course no one has the balls to actually do that. They have spent so long playing Monopoly that they have forgotten how to play Risk. Apart from Putin of course.
    It's not that we've forgotten how to play Risk for me, it's that we have forgotten the costs. It is not uncoincidental to me that as the WW2 generation gradually passes on (a funeral for me last year) the knowledge that instability has a cost all of its own must be painfully relearned. A treaty entered into on the terms you suggest would be meaningless in the long term- and would spell the end of NATO obviously.
    True. But in order to avoid military conflict it requires flexibility on BOTH sides. Lets not forget that the whole Brexit debacle was the product of intransigence on the part of the EU. If they had shown the slightest willingness to allow temporary restrictions on freedom of movement (or earlier, not broken it's own convergence rules in order to admit poor eastern European countries), rather than publicly humiliating the British Prime Minister it would have never happened. Of course, some would argue that Brexit was exactly what Juncker wanted.
    Isn't Juncker the guy who said that he has convos with leaders from other planets? Nutter.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited January 2017

No, they don't - you even acknowledged earlier in this thread that you never even HEARD of the term SJW until the SoD controversy last year.
    Indeed, that's just how quickly the entire thing has metastasized. Visit literally ANY Youtube video. Music, politics, sports, gaming, etc. The phrasing and attitude is everywhere.

For something that actually has tangible, real world consequences, the Trump team shut down the National Park Service twitter account after they posted pictures of the sparsely attended inaugural. Which means they can no longer give alerts on road conditions for winter weather on that communication medium. Trump's ego is now more important than public safety.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on

One bad apple. People are just rude in general these days. Mistrustful of each other.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

Indeed, that's just how quickly the entire thing has metastasized. Visit literally ANY Youtube video. Music, politics, sports, gaming, etc. The phrasing and attitude is everywhere.

For something that actually has tangible, real world consequences, the Trump team shut down the National Park Service twitter account after they posted pictures of the sparsely attended inaugural. Which means they can no longer give alerts on road conditions for winter weather on that communication medium. Trump's ego is now more important than public safety.
    Actually, it looks like someone used the account to retweet overtly political messages.
    Snopes said:

Meanwhile, the Interior Department was reportedly ordered to cease tweeting until further notice after an employee at the National Park Service used the official Twitter account to retweet a photograph taken by a New York Times photographer comparing the 2009 and 2017 crowd sizes.

The Washington Post reported:

The Park Service Twitter account then shared a second tweet from someone else with a message about climate change, civil rights and healthcare issues being removed from the Obama White House website.

A government official familiar with the stand-down said the agency is investigating whether the retweets were purposeful, “errant” or “whether we’ve been hacked.”

“They were not reflective of Park Service policy,” said the official, who requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the directive.

Women's March Going On.. Looks much more people up for that that than the inauguration.
    BillyYank said:

Actually, it looks like someone used the account to retweet overtly political messages.
    Snopes said:

Meanwhile, the Interior Department was reportedly ordered to cease tweeting until further notice after an employee at the National Park Service used the official Twitter account to retweet a photograph taken by a New York Times photographer comparing the 2009 and 2017 crowd sizes.

The Park Service Twitter account then shared a second tweet from someone else with a message about climate change, civil rights and healthcare issues being removed from the Obama White House website.

A government official familiar with the stand-down said the agency is investigating whether the retweets were purposeful, “errant” or “whether we’ve been hacked.”

“They were not reflective of Park Service policy,” said the official, who requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the directive.

This is because either intentionally or out of sheer laziness/incompetence, thousands of essential government jobs haven't been filled by the Trump Administration. As I've said before, government and society doesn't run itself. Initially, the Trump Administration told people to be gone by a certain time. When they realized just HOW big the job was, they asked many to stay until they could get their people in, and in many cases were rightfully told to kick rocks. So right now you either have empty desks with binders of information on them, or Obama appointees sticking around because (surprise!) the party that doesn't believe in government doesn't know how to govern. You'll see more of this, because the Trump crew is simply not prepared for this job.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @jjstraka34 Excuse me, Ghostbusters 2 was pleasantly okay at worst. See, this is why our country is screwed up ;)
    edited January 2017
    ThacoBell said:

@jjstraka34 Excuse me, Ghostbusters 2 was pleasantly okay at worst. See, this is why our country is screwed up ;)

I actually agree with this, but the consensus over the years about Ghostbusters 2 is that it was pretty damn bad. It certainly wasn't enough to cement it as a series with a real legacy. I like the Bobby Brown song in it quite a bit.

The Ghostbusters re-make WAS bad, but so were a dozen other movies I saw last year. As a longtime Warcraft fan, I found the movie to be one of the worst things I've ever seen, nearly incomprehensible. But again, it's just a bad movie. Despite having an all-female cast for the leads, Ghostbusters was just a bad movie. It was singled out for other reasons. My guess is a remake with the original cast (who went to bat for the female actresses, by the way) without Harold Ramis would have been just as awful. And rumors are that Bill Murray has been turning down bad scripts for that very thing for years.
    BillyYank said:

Snopes said:

The NPS is also strictly prohibited from commenting on the sizes of gatherings at the Mall - that was a rule that was put into place under Clinton in response to the controversy around the size of the Million Man March.

My guess is a remake with the original cast (who went to bat for the female actresses, by the way) without Harold Ramis would have been just as awful.

At least one of them doesn't appear to have been given a choice:

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/104704

Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:06 PM
    To: Venger, Leonard; Weil, Leah
    Cc: Yankelevits, Daniel
    Subject: Ghostbusters/Murray - Litigation Counsel [CONFIDENTIAL]

In order to more fully evaluate our position if Bill Murray again declines to engage on “Ghostbusters”, AG requested that we identify “aggressive” litigation counsel with whom we can consult to evaluate our alternatives and strategize. [Harkening back to his prior employer, of course, raised the name of David Boies.]

Personally, while I’m fine with aggressive, I think we are in much worse shape if this goes public so seems to me we should look for someone who isn’t seeking the spotlight.

Can we discuss at some point soon to provide a suggestion or two?

Thanks.

Proof that Democrats and Republicans can still come together to create something magical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poz6W0znOfk
    edited January 2017
    Epic rendition of "Pigs (Three Different Ones)", posted by Roger Waters last night, from Pink Floyd's Orwell inspired '77 album "Animals".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWLBtMz5OuY
    edited January 2017
    The Women's Marches in DC, Chicago and Boston are so big (hundreds of thousands of people) that they actually won't be able to technically MARCH because the streets are so overflowing with people there is no room to do so. Imagine that. This is what happens when your opponent gets 3 million more votes than you and you take office instead. And also makes the Tea Party (which got ENDLESS media coverage) seem like a random family reunion at the park from a numbers perspective.

Epic rendition of "Pigs (Three Different Ones)", posted by Roger Waters last night, from Pink Floyd's Orwell inspired '77 album "Animals".

One of my favorite songs.

Trump at CIA (paraphrased)

"We had a million people. The dishonest media showed an empty field... It went all the way back to the washington monument"

pathological narcissist

obama left vs trump'
    who do you believe Trump or you're lying eyes?
This discussion has been closed.