Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835
    edited September 2017
    The Bible is an omnibus or collection of books and scriptures that pertain to the Abrahamic faith. :)

" Christian Bibles range from the 66 books of the Protestant canon to the 81 books of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church canon.
    The Tanakh (sometimes called the Hebrew Bible) contains 24 books divided into three parts: the five books of the Torah ("teaching"); the Nevi'im ("prophets"); and the Ketuvim ("writings"). The first part of Christian Bibles is called the Old Testament, which contains, at minimum, the above 24 books but divided into 39 books and ordered differently.
    The Catholic Church and Eastern Christian churches also hold that certain deuterocanonical books and passages are part of the Old Testament canon. The second part is the New Testament, containing 27 books; the four Canonical gospels, Acts of the Apostles, 21 Epistles or letters and the Book of Revelation.
    The Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Assyrian Christian churches may have minor differences in their lists of accepted books. The list given here for these churches is the most inclusive: if at least one Eastern church accepts the book it is included here."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_of_the_Bible
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    edited September 2017

The Bible is an omnibus or collection of books and scriptures that pertain to the Abrahamic faith. :)

That it is. My point was simply that "mythology" and "myths" are pretty appropriate words for it, and generally religious lore as a whole. Or well, that was my initial point since I did say my intervention ended up being pointless anyway =D

On another subject i'm always a bit surprised when people refer to "antifa" as a "group" or really any other kind of single entity.

I'm assuming yall mean the anti-fascist action networks (note the plural) but i've really never seen any sign of the AFA being any more than a loose collection of movements, organizations, and other collectives united under a banner (or really two banners on a logo, same difference), a shared set of beliefs and purposes (the will to act again fascism, at the very least, but I won't deny that there is more to it than that, you don't have to be left-leaning or anarchist to be against fascism but it is pretty much the norm in the AFA networks), but certainly not under any form of centralized leadership. Which shouldn't be much of a surprise considering the important place of anarchy in their political worldview. Turns out, anarchists aren't as big on military-like organizations with a clear hierarchy as the fascists they're opposed to. Ain't that a shocker.

Now I'd consider myself to be anti-fascism, since I'm, well, against fascism? Like, radical authoritarian nationalism, as per wikipedia's definition? Not a big a fan of it, I admit. Dunno if that makes me "antifa". I'm pretty sure that's what it originally meant but what people call antifa in here sure sounds different, and different from the various AFA too.
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    edited September 2017
    Now now, anarchism isn't (fundamentally at least) about being unorganized, several people could and indeed do work together in non hierarchical associations. Just because you're opposed to ordering others around and vice versa doesn't mean you must avoid any form of agreement with every other human being.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited September 2017
    Pretty sure that we should be discussing ending DACA as the story of the day that will set 800k people with jobs, many of whom are home owners with education and military service up to be deported because Trump's going to Trump.

Nevermind the deflection and projection onto antifa and hillary's emails. Trump actually is in a position to do stuff that matters.

The rationale given by always hypocritical republican lawmakers is "executive overreach!" but it's a problem of their own making. Obama wouldn't have made DACA if congress had figured things out and done anything for immigration reform that they've always been claiming to want to do. But they didn't want to do literally anything that might make Obama look good in any shape or fashion because that played counter to their narrative that Obama was a kenyan muslim with a foreign sounding name. That strategy apparently worked because it got their candidate into the white house with fewer votes than the Democrat. But for Republicans it's been a big circle of nothing - they don't do anything, then obama does something, then they undo it now, then what do nothing again? Obama took action, which was needed one way or another.

And as has been mentioned these are kids brought to the US without a choice and this is the only country they've known. Does Trump hate kids? Does the pope wear a funny hat? Melania overstayed her modeling visa and wears italian dresses but trump rails against immigration and says buy american lol.

Where do we go from here? The deflector in chief with his "the buck stops elsewhere" mentality says he's, wait a minute move back a step, Trump has Jeff Sessions do the dirty work for him, can't be bothered to do it himself, say that DACA is going to end. Then Trump tweets something about go congress and fix this problem I'm creating #DACA. I guess he wants to help Republicans in congress with their 17% approval rating or something get a "win" by solving this crisis of his own creation. I don't know.

There is always a hierarchy. Whether it be a god in the flesh or the god in the tv. People are easily manipulated, we are like flies to a lamp. We need someone to tell us how to feel, eat, sleep even love.

If the left wing media didn't tell us to hate Trump, no one would go out and protest. If right wing media didn't tell us to hate the left, no one would go out and protest.

There is always a hierarchy. Whether it be a god in the flesh or the god in the tv. People are easily manipulated, we are like flies to a lamp. We need someone to tell us how to feel, eat, sleep even love.

If the left wing media didn't tell us to hate Trump, no one would go out and protest. If right wing media didn't tell us to hate the left, no one would go out and protest.

People don't like Trump because of the words that come out of his mouth and the actions he does. Media does not make him say the things he says. He tries to spin what he says but if you pay any attention to what he said two weeks ago you can see through it by yourself.

The real media is there to keep him honest but they fall way short of doing that. Mainly because they fall for his sideshow antics "omg he's so presidential he started bombing people!" and their short memories, a crisis he invents last week doesn't get follow up reported the next week.

From a non-believer who doesn't take right wing stuff on faith (outside of the bubble), Right wing media seems to be just Trump apologists (Fox News) and racist, narrow minded, protectionist pro-corporate drivel (Alex Jones, Breitbart, et al ).
    And the left wing media where Obamma apologists. Same shit different pile.

Clumping all Americans that like Trump as racists and narrow minded, is being pretty narrow minded yourself. Love Trumps hate. Remember.

This is what everyone should be concerned about right now.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/05/asia/north-korea-putin/index.html

It's about to get really scary.
    edited September 2017
    edited September 2017

And the left wing media where Obamma apologists. Same shit different pile.

Clumping all Americans that like Trump as racists and narrow minded, is being pretty narrow minded yourself. Love Trumps hate. Remember.

I didn't clump the minority of Americans that like Trump as racist and narrow minded, I labeled specific outlets of the right wing media as such.

North Korea is definitely a problem. "Nobody could have known" that boasting and threatening wouldn't work with North Korea. It seems to me this has exacerbated the problem.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    edited September 2017
    Dealing with North Korea's acquisition of nuclear materials would have required concerted efforts to reduce nuclear proliferation and increase security on existing stocks, beginning 30-40 years ago. At this point I am less worried about the North Koreans than the knock-on effect as South Korea and other nations rely less on the US nuclear umbrella and seek for their own local deterrent, particularly in the light of China's desire to flex its regional presence.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

Let's me weigh in on the rescinding of DACA. The "Dreamers" are children of illegal immigrants who were brought over when they were young. It was not their fault, they had no say in the matter, and they know no home but this one. What they have to go through to stay here through this program makes them a hell of alot more American than most of us. They have to have spotless criminal records. They have to pay $500 every year to renew. They voluntarily made themselves known. 91% of them are employed. If these 800,000 people are deported, this country stands to lose $400 billion in GDP. 100,000 of them own homes. Any idea what happens to the housing market in those neighborhoods when their owners are shipped out of the country?? And, again, to what country?? Most of them have been here since before they could walk or talk. Might as well drop them off in the desert with a waterskin. They've done more to actually EARN the right to be in this country than 99% of us, who simply got lucky and came out of our mother's womb inside US borders. And for Trump's Christian supporters who are behind this, I have a whole stack of Bible verses to throw in their face.

On the one hand it may be a slap in the face to the people who came here and worked/waited their way through the system to become citizens but on the other hand if it were up to me I would just declare these people citizens and be done with it. These are the sorts of young people who will be the future of this country and that future isn't going to be very bright if we try to thrown them out now. Do you know what happens to a child when you tell that child that it isn't wanted? That's right--you break its ego and you warp its personality to the point where it cannot become a fully-functional adult.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

Let's me weigh in on the rescinding of DACA. The "Dreamers" are children of illegal immigrants who were brought over when they were young. It was not their fault, they had no say in the matter, and they know no home but this one. What they have to go through to stay here through this program makes them a hell of alot more American than most of us. They have to have spotless criminal records. They have to pay $500 every year to renew. They voluntarily made themselves known. 91% of them are employed. If these 800,000 people are deported, this country stands to lose $400 billion in GDP. 100,000 of them own homes. Any idea what happens to the housing market in those neighborhoods when their owners are shipped out of the country?? And, again, to what country?? Most of them have been here since before they could walk or talk. Might as well drop them off in the desert with a waterskin. They've done more to actually EARN the right to be in this country than 99% of us, who simply got lucky and came out of our mother's womb inside US borders. And for Trump's Christian supporters who are behind this, I have a whole stack of Bible verses to throw in their face.

On the one hand it may be a slap in the face to the people who came here and worked/waited their way through the system to become citizens but on the other hand if it were up to me I would just declare these people citizens and be done with it. These are the sorts of young people who will be the future of this country and that future isn't going to be very bright if we try to thrown them out now. Do you know what happens to a child when you tell that child that it isn't wanted? That's right--you break its ego and you warp its personality to the point where it cannot become a fully-functional adult.
    As anyone knows, you have no say when you are a child. You live where your parents decide to live. As Obama said in a tweet yesterday, these kids did nothing wrong. Now DACA WAS a executive action, but he only did it so this particular group of people could come out of the shadows and participate. Republicans would not act. They came forward in trust they would get a fair shake. They have to jump through alot of hoops to maintain their status. They can't vote. And I saw a poll yesterday that 83% of Americans support DACA. Even a majority of Republicans do. The Chamber of Commerce (as right-wing as it gets) is in favor of it. Who is this move for besides fringe xenophobes??
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Artona said:

So you are saying that you are free of ideological lenses?

I try to be. I'm certainly not a member of any grouping, party or religion, nor do I rate any philosopher as infallible.

"I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side."
    -Treebeard
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Now is the time for savvy Members of Congress to draft some method by which they can convert DACA, an Executive Order, into an actual law. Supporting it may cost some their seat but for others it may guarantee their reelection next November.

We saw the beginning of the dissolution of the Democratic Party last year with that whole Clinton/Sanders mess; I think we are beginning to see the dissolution of the Republican Party now with the pro-Trump/anti-Trump groups (I don't have any other names for them right now).
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Trump really hung the GOP congress and senate out to dry on DACA. Many were perfectly happy with the status quo, being able to be tough on immigration while not appearing entirely heartless. With Trump forcing the issue, they have to do what politicians absolutely hate--take an actual stand on an issue and be held accountable for it.

It reminds me a lot of Prop 187 in California in the 90s. Pete Wilson and the state GOP won that battle but they lost the war. CA voters still haven't forgiven them.

We saw the beginning of the dissolution of the Democratic Party last year with that whole Clinton/Sanders mess; I think we are beginning to see the dissolution of the Republican Party now with the pro-Trump/anti-Trump groups (I don't have any other names for them right now).

I may be jaded, but you can set your clock by the "Democrats lost because they're not listening to X and the party is doomed" storyline following every election where the Republicans win the presidency. After Bush's reelection in 2004, all of the headlines were about Rove's genius and the "permanent Republican majority". Not that the Dems don't have legitimate issues to address, but the problems of the losing party always get sensationalized and magnified to a large degree.
    Because Congressional Republicans are incapable of actual governance, it once again fell to Democrats today to be the adults, as Schumer and Pelosi negotiated a Harvey relief bill and debt ceiling extension. Both sides don't. The Republicans held the entire country hostage over the debt limit twice during Obama's term. Democrats didn't even contemplate playing games with the faith and credit of the United States. They hammered it out in about 4 hours, making McConnell and Ryan couch cushions in the debate.

Because Congressional Republicans are incapable of actual governance, it once again fell to Democrats today to be the adults, as Schumer and Pelosi negotiated a Harvey relief bill and debt ceiling extension. Both sides don't. The Republicans held the entire country hostage over the debt limit twice during Obama's term. Democrats didn't even contemplate playing games with the faith and credit of the United States. They hammered it out in about 4 hours, making McConnell and Ryan couch cushions in the debate.

That seems to be what Republicans are trying with DACA. Now that they broke it, they'll fix it IF Democrats agree to fund Trump's stupid wall.

They are upending children's lives literally holding their lives hostage for political random.
    Great take again from Josh Marshall on WHY Trump would make a deal with Democrats today:

Donald Trump’s core drive is dominance. We see that in his politics which is revanchist and destructive and in its less dire manifestations driven by a zero sum vision of human and economic relations. For me to win, you have to lose. The more fluid and collaborative aspects of human interaction seem entirely lost on Trump. This is why he is the leader of the revanchist, racist far right.

But the political or ideological manifestations are secondary to the personal one. Trump needs to dominate people. Clearly Trump felt that McConnell and Ryan are not serving him well enough or loyally enough or both. So he lashed out or tried to damage them. Schumer and Pelosi were simply the most convenient cudgels available.

I don’t say this to discount the two Democrats’ savvy in pulling this off. I think they managed quite a coup. I just think that’s the true driver. It’s not clear to me whether Trump doesn’t realize that he hurt himself as much as he did Ryan and McConnell or whether he does realize it and simply doesn’t care. The core take remains the same. Trump’s core personal drive is the need to dominate. It’s been clear for weeks that he feels routinely betrayed by these two men. They don’t produce for him. They embarrass. They fail to defend him. The need to dominate runs deeper than any policy agenda or ideological ambition. People who are driven by the need to dominate are also often self-destructive. None of this is surprising.

Perhaps we’ll learn that there’s some other explanation, some pivot, some something. No doubt there’s plenty I don’t know and plenty we’ll learn. But I’m pretty sure at the root of it will be Trump’s need to dominate, to be in charge and obeyed and praised.

With that answer, with Trump, you almost never go wrong.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    For everyone who thought Clinton was crooked and enriched herself through her charity by listening to Right Wing pundits spin story after story, this is what you created. Congrats. Hope you now know what corruption looks like the next time you go to the polls.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Heh, sometimes it seems like every time I have gone to the polls for many years now I am just deciding on who is the least corrupted of the choices. Even then, it is also a decision on what their chances to become or become more corrupted is based on their connections, history, assets, and donors. ;)

deltago said:

For everyone who thought Clinton was crooked and enriched herself through her charity by listening to Right Wing pundits spin story after story, this is what you created. Congrats. Hope you now know what corruption looks like the next time you go to the polls.

Just because candidate A is crooked, it doesn't mean candidate B is not crooked.

And visa versa.
    I don't see how it's a win for Democrats. Isn't it a 3 month reprieve?

He's still crapping all over them and the country. He's still always blaming "obstructionist Democrats" and telling McConnell to break every the Senate and make everything majority rules only. A couple days ago he ended DACA. He's undoing all consumer, health, and labor protections for the American people. His priority is giving the rich tax breaks and shifting more of the tax burden on the middle class.

The Democratic party should not play his games. If anything they should be like "Sure Trump we got your back" then leave him out to dry. Which is Exactly what Trump did to the dreamers.
    Fardragon said:

deltago said:

Just because candidate A is crooked, it doesn't mean candidate B is not crooked.

And visa versa.
    True. Hillary's corruption is cute and quaint compared to Trump personally enrichering himself daily. It's like she would sometimes steal a pen from work while Trump just has a funnel built into his pockets and drop points all over the country like Bank tellers that you can deposit bribes.

Blame the Conservative Supreme Court for giving us Citizens United.

But something today's Conservatives and liberals can agree on is getting money out of politics.

Support Wolf Pac.
    http://www.wolf-pac.com
    edited September 2017

I don't see how it's a win for Democrats. Isn't it a 3 month reprieve?

He's still crapping all over them and the country. He's still always blaming "obstructionist Democrats" and telling McConnell to break every the Senate and make everything majority rules only. A couple days ago he ended DACA. He's undoing all consumer, health, and labor protections for the American people. His priority is giving the rich tax breaks and shifting more of the tax burden on the middle class.

The Democratic party should not play his games. If anything they should be like "Sure Trump we got your back" then leave him out to dry. Which is Exactly what Trump did to the dreamers.

It's a win mostly because it's framework ties up the legislative calender for most of the remainder of the year, giving the GOP almost no time to do their tax cut. When they come back in January, they then have to take those votes in an election year. Democrats are specifically not claiming any victory so as not to let Trump realize it, since he knows nothing about the legislative process. They are essentially going to try run the ball for the entire 4th quarter, and hopefully take a few knees to get to 2018.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    People have found clear evidence of Russian actors posing as Americans on social media.

Currently, researchers estimate that less than 0.1% of election-related content was posted by Russian actors, so I'm skeptical that this played a meaningful role in the 2016 election. But my concern is that this trend will grow, and the content will become more sophisticated as time goes on. And the appropriate level of Russian participation in American elections is 0%.

It's not entirely surprising that Russia is doing this, or that people were able to detect it. Russia and China have been waging information campaigns on many fronts for years now, and not just in relation to the U.S. Right now, most of their foreign-directed propaganda is amateurish (for a good Chinese example, see the English People's Daily), but they're learning.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Besides Trump, who is an anomaly, who would take what some random unknown person says on a social media site seriously and at face value?

It may increase, but I doubt it would be highly effective, because once an acting persona gets to a point where what it is saying is making a difference, someone will dig deeper and expose it.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    deltago said:

Besides Trump, who is an anomaly, who would take what some random unknown person says on a social media site seriously and at face value?

It may increase, but I doubt it would be highly effective, because once an acting persona gets to a point where what it is saying is making a difference, someone will dig deeper and expose it.

@deltago I'm sure many many people do.
    Never underestimate human stupidity.
This discussion has been closed.