Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,369

joluv said:

Balrog99 said:

There are two types of vegetarians: females and males that want to get laid.

I mean... doesn't that also describe most omnivorous males (and people)?
    It also assumes that females are easily manipulated into sex by inane posturing in regards to eating vegetables, which seems preposterous to me on it's face. There are ways to get women in bed, talking about your diet isn't typically one of them.
    I'm afraid some are. Just sayin'. Not everybody has high self-esteem.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

Charisma is a useless stat in Baldur's Gate........just stating facts.

This is also true in Fallout. The only reason to make your Vault Dweller/Chosen One/Lone Wanderer/Courier have a high charisma is because you are doing a "good natured" run or you want to get Animal Friend or Terrifying Presence.
    edited December 2017

Balrog99 said:

I never understood why people rip on vegans. It seems like nothing but typical "hippie-bashing" to me. Like I should care if someone else thinks eating meat is unhealthy or immoral. The only problem I have with people in regards to food is if someone orders a grilled cheese at a restaurant, which is beyond preposterous. Beyond that, who gives a shit?? If they want to drink soy milk and have a ton of kale in their diet, what impact does that have on my life??

I just find it humorous myself. To me it's a religion more than anything else.

Since I have your ear @jjstraka34, my dad only recently discovered his love of guns. It surprisingy came some years after he moved to Tennessee (go figure). He's pretty much all talk though and if you actually met him you'd forgive him. I think he has at least a 17 charisma!
    Charisma is a useless stat in Baldur's Gate........just stating facts. I had to amend because it is useful in Planescape and IWD2.
    Not useless in RL if you want to be liked (which my dad definitely does).
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'm mostly vegetarian (basically, I'm supposed to eat only wild-caught stuff) and it sure as hell doesn't hurt anybody.

For the record, it's not hard to get enough vitamins or protein from a meat-free diet. Dairy products and eggs are crammed with protein and vitamins. Milk is flat-out designed to be a nutritional food source (being, after all, the sole food source for baby mammals when their needs are highest), while an egg, nutritionally speaking, is a lot like eating an entire animal, since it contains all of the chemicals it takes to grow an entire animal. I get 50 grams of protein a day just from milk, cheese, whole grains, and hummus.

Going vegan is hard, though. You can still be healthy and vegan (a friend of mine is vegan and has strong health despite being born with Crohn's disease), but it requires planning and research. The main reason I stopped being vegan was because continuing would have required me to invest some effort into planning a healthy diet, and I simply wasn't willing to put in the time.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

Charisma is a useless stat in Baldur's Gate........just stating facts.

This is also true in Fallout. The only reason to make your Vault Dweller/Chosen One/Lone Wanderer/Courier have a high charisma is because you are doing a "good natured" run or you want to get Animal Friend or Terrifying Presence.
    I mean, I suppose it's possible a hardcore role-player might just want someone with high Charisma for NPC interaction and shop prices. Personally, I defend the NPC of Garrick because I am just as interested in elements of the game that disempower you as the ones that make you a living god (this is the reason I find Breath of the Wild's weapon durability to be genius).
    joluv said:

The full saga of my veganism, in case anyone is interested:

I ate a vegan burrito that tasted good, so I decided on a whim to try eating vegan for a week. Some friends immediately gave me a ton of crap about it, so I kept doing it out of stubbornness and because I honestly didn't miss non-vegan food. I tried a lot of foods I'd never tried before, and it was kinda fun. The biggest drawback was that it made me more inclined to avoid social situations where it would come up, because I didn't enjoy talking about it very much and especially didn't want to be a nuisance. Ten months later, I felt like eating a roast beef sandwich, so I did. My tummy hurt a little bit for a couple of hours, and then I promptly resumed my old, omnivorous eating habits. The end.

I have no problem with people who go vegan for a reason. There's a gal where I work that is vegetarian due to allergy problems. No issue whatsoever with her (though I do tease her occasionally, it's just my nature). It's the preachy ones I have a problem with. They always talk about how great it makes them feel but I see no evidence of it adding to their 'happiness' quotient.
    edited December 2017
    Balrog99 said:

joluv said:

I ate a vegan burrito that tasted good, so I decided on a whim to try eating vegan for a week. Some friends immediately gave me a ton of crap about it, so I kept doing it out of stubbornness and because I honestly didn't miss non-vegan food. I tried a lot of foods I'd never tried before, and it was kinda fun. The biggest drawback was that it made me more inclined to avoid social situations where it would come up, because I didn't enjoy talking about it very much and especially didn't want to be a nuisance. Ten months later, I felt like eating a roast beef sandwich, so I did. My tummy hurt a little bit for a couple of hours, and then I promptly resumed my old, omnivorous eating habits. The end.

I have no problem with people who go vegan for a reason. There's a gal where I work that is vegetarian due to allergy problems. No issue whatsoever with her (though I do tease her occasionally, it's just my nature). It's the preachy ones I have a problem with. They always talk about how great it makes them feel but I see no evidence of it adding to their 'happiness' quotient.
    I'm an atheist/agnostic who has never once tried to preach to religious people about "converting". I find it one of the most colossal wastes of time I have ever seen, and I despise what I call "militant atheists" who engage in this worthless behavior. It's exactly the kind of forced morality that religion attempts to impose itself. The same would apply to discussions about vegetarianism. The problem isn't being a vegetarian. It's people who have some sort of deep personal revelation and can't shut up to the rest of the world about it.

Balrog99 said:

joluv said:

I'm an atheist/agnostic who has never once tried to preach to religious people about "converting". I find it one of the most colossal wastes of time I have ever seen, and I despise what I call "militant atheists" who engage in this worthless behavior. It's exactly the kind of forced morality that religion attempts to impose itself. The same would apply to discussions about vegetarianism. The problem isn't being a vegetarian. It's people who have some sort of deep personal revelation and can't shut up to the rest of the world about it.
    You can't be both atheist and agnostic. Which is it? Or are you subject to change if evidence is presented...
  • vanatosvanatos Member Posts: 876
    The problem with the more loud atheism/agnostic community is that they present it as a legitimate alternative to religion, where i personally accept that humans need some sort of tribal communal thing and religion is the popular choice, you can't really take that away without something replacing it.
    Balrog99 said:

Balrog99 said:

joluv said:

You can't be both atheist and agnostic. Which is it? Or are you subject to change if evidence is presented...
    I throw agnostic on the end because the idea of absolute nothingness after death terrifies me, even though I am 95% sure that is what it is. And it's actually the main reason I think religion exists in the first place. People can't wrap their head around an infinite abyss of non-existence, and it's scary as hell.
  • vanatosvanatos Member Posts: 876
    I used to devour stories of NDE's because of that reason.

Balrog99 said:

Balrog99 said:

joluv said:

I throw agnostic on the end because the idea of absolute nothingness after death terrifies me, even though I am 95% sure that is what it is. And it's actually the main reason I think religion exists in the first place. People can't wrap their head around an infinite abyss of non-existence, and it's scary as hell.
    I was in a car accident back in 1988 and I hit the windshield and was down for the count. It wasn't like sleeping at all. I can't really explain it except that for a few hours I didn't 'exist'. I haven't been afraid of death since that experience. I still believe in God and believe there is something after this existence, but if there isn't you won't care...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    There are ethical and environmental reasons to go vegan or vegetarian, but to be perfectly honest, I went vegetarian entirely on a whim. I had a dream that I went vegetarian and started exercising, so I decided to go vegetarian. It was only later that I actually came up with a set of ethics-based rules that made sense to me.

It wasn't that hard of a decision to make, really. I've believed for years that the world as a whole is steadily drifting towards vegetarianism. It's not hard to see which way the winds are blowing. I remember a time when being a vegetarian in America was a radical, groundbreaking new thing, and you'd probably be the only one you knew. These days, you can find multiple vegan restaurants in a single city. Millenials in particular are pretty big on vegan food.

Eventually, the whole debate will become moot when lab-grown meat finally becomes cheaper than the normal kind. I'm looking forward to that day, but I'm guessing it's still many years off.
    Balrog99 said:

Balrog99 said:

Balrog99 said:

joluv said:

I was in a car accident back in 1988 and I hit the windshield and was down for the count. It wasn't like sleeping at all. I can't really explain it except that for a few hours I didn't 'exist'. I haven't been afraid of death since that experience. I still believe in God and believe there is something after this existence, but if there isn't you won't care...
    Roger Ebert, shortly before his death (and I loved Roger Ebert) said:

I know it is coming, and I do not fear it, because I believe there is nothing on the other side of death to fear. I hope to be spared as much pain as possible on the approach path. I was perfectly content before I was born, and I think of death as the same state.

I would guess I'll feel better about it when I'm older, as I'm told that's just what happens when you reach a certain age.

There are ethical and environmental reasons to go vegan or vegetarian, but to be perfectly honest, I went vegetarian entirely on a whim. I had a dream that I went vegetarian and started exercising, so I decided to go vegetarian. It was only later that I actually came up with a set of ethics-based rules that made sense to me.

It wasn't that hard of a decision to make, really. I've believed for years that the world as a whole is steadily drifting towards vegetarianism. It's not hard to see which way the winds are blowing. I remember a time when being a vegetarian in America was a radical, groundbreaking new thing, and you'd probably be the only one you knew. These days, you can find multiple vegan restaurants in a single city. Millenials in particular are pretty big on vegan food.

Eventually, the whole debate will become moot when lab-grown meat finally becomes cheaper than the normal kind. I'm looking forward to that day, but I'm guessing it's still many years off.

You're not preachy so more power to you. My daughter doesn't like meat a whole lot and I don't push it on her. I'm not threatened by it by any means. It just means my daughter eats way to much mac and cheese!
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited December 2017
    Huh. Vegan and vegetarian stuff in the politics thread, death and the 'after' as well. I actually had to look up at the thread title again to know where I was on the forum. B)
    Zaghoul said:

Huh. Vegan and vegetarian stuff in the politics thread, death and the 'after' as well. I actually had to look up at the thread title again to know where I was on the forum. B)

Those very things ARE politics these days. Thank you religious right...
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,177
    I've been vegetarian for about half my life. From the research that I have done eating some fish is generally a better idea than being purely vegetarian, which is in turn better than eating meat. Children who are vegetarian also may have a tendency to be shorter. For these reasons I have not tried to persuade my daughter to be vegetarian, she can make up her own mind when she is older. However there are also other factors to consider, such as the environmental cost of factory farming, as well as the suffering inflicted. In particular beef is much more inefficient than other foods (even other meats), requiring much more land, fuel, water, and energy to produce (ten times as much as bean based protein products). So even if one argued that beef had some unique health benefits one would also have to offset its possible negative impacts on the environment. In the future if developing countries continue to increase their demand for foods which have environmental costs then this could become even more problematic. My bet would be to invest in insect farming for our everyday protein needs ;).
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    All this vegan talk is making me hungry.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    So I am pretty much against preachy veganism, but I'm cool with vegetarianism and veganism as things to do.

I don't really fear the idea of nothing after death. I'm just in no hurry to get there. I tend between religious (not Christian) and agnostic at times.
    edited December 2017
    Mantis37 said:

I've been vegetarian for about half my life. From the research that I have done eating some fish is generally a better idea than being purely vegetarian, which is in turn better than eating meat. Children who are vegetarian also may have a tendency to be shorter. For these reasons I have not tried to persuade my daughter to be vegetarian, she can make up her own mind when she is older. However there are also other factors to consider, such as the environmental cost of factory farming, as well as the suffering inflicted. In particular beef is much more inefficient than other foods (even other meats), requiring much more land, fuel, water, and energy to produce (ten times as much as bean based protein products). So even if one argued that beef had some unique health benefits one would also have to offset its possible negative impacts on the environment. In the future if developing countries continue to increase their demand for foods which have environmental costs then this could become even more problematic. My bet would be to invest in insect farming for our everyday protein needs ;).

Its not about 'everyday protein needs'.

https://youtu.be/61g2-EVJ-mo

Even better:

https://youtu.be/2oEnJfZ9joY
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Vegetarian, vegan, who cares? So long as its tasty B)
    ThacoBell said:

Vegetarian, vegan, who cares? So long as its tasty B)

I love eggplant as a meat substitute. As I said, I'm not opposed to vegetarianism by any social/political point of view. It just seems like a religion to a lot of folks...
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    On the role of vegetarianism in politics, I never get tired of Orwell's annoyance at how the left presents itself. From The Road to Wigan Pier:
    The first thing that must strike any outside observer is that Socialism, in its developed form is a theory confined entirely to the middle classes. The typical Socialist is not, as tremulous old ladies imagine, a ferocious-looking working man with greasy overalls and a raucous voice. He is either a youthful snob-Bolshevik who in five years’ time will quite probably have made a wealthy marriage and been converted to Roman Catholicism; or, still more typically, a prim little man with a white-collar job, usually a secret teetotaller and often with vegetarian leanings, with a history of Nonconformity behind him, and, above all, with a social position which he has no intention of forfeiting.
    It has held up so well over 80 years! Another:
    It would help enormously, for instance, if the smell of crankishness which still clings to the Socialist movement could be dispelled. If only the sandals and the pistachio-coloured shirts could be put in a pile and burnt, and every vegetarian, teetotaller, and creeping Jesus sent home to Welwyn Garden City to do his yoga exercises quietly! But that, I am afraid, is not going to happen.
    edited December 2017
    The majority of socialists I know are working class or in poverty.

However, middle class socialists and anarchists can be a serious pain.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited December 2017
    So the Senate is going to pass the tax cuts for the rich, referred to as the "tax scam" by democrats, in the middle of the night.

They claimed the democrats did this stuff and that excuses them to do it now. Democrats did not do this, they had months of hearings and passed a bill that helped millions of people get healthcare. Republicans are passing a bill that independent economists have slammed as growing the deficit by over a trillion dollars and disproportionately benefiting the rich. This rushed bill was written by more than 6000 lobbyists. This sack of goods being sold as "middle class tax relief" is for middle class people, defined as people making 400k or less to write off private jets. Srsly.

24 percent of Americans say that the Trump-backed tax plan is a good idea, versus 41 percent who believe it’s a bad idea. But they are going to pass it in the middle of the night anyway.

EDIT:
    and they passed it.
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
    edited December 2017
    Also addressing a comment from a few pages back:

The Republican party that ended slavery is not the Republican party that exists today. The Republican party that exists today is an explicitly racist institution filled with people who get upset at the thought of Confederate monuments being taken down.

The Democratic party that backed the KKK is not the Democratic party that exists today. Most of those Democrats left the party to join the Republicans after 1964 and the Civil Rights Act. Google "southern strategy." The 1950s and 1960s were the end of the "Party of Lincoln" and there's no point trying to live out those past glories.

I'm not saying that the Democratic party isn't racist. It most definitely is. However, it's not the party of the KKK, Nazis, white supremacists, and the alt right. That's the Republican party now. Not the entire Republican party, but enough of it.
    The whole goal of the entire Republican goverance experiment is to do two things: pass a massive tax cut that blows up the deficit, and use that deficit to justify cutting Social Security and Medicare. That's it. That's all this has ever been. Step 1 accomplished, let's see them try sell Step 2.

The whole goal of the entire Republican goverance experiment is to do two things: pass a massive tax cut that blows up the deficit, and use that deficit to justify cutting Social Security and Medicare. That's it. That's all this has ever been. Step 1 accomplished, let's see them try sell Step 2.

I seriously hope step 2 hits some serious snags. I mean we're in for a terrible year no matter what, but hopefully it could be less terrible than is absolutely possible.
This discussion has been closed.