Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835
    Grond0 said:

Matthieu said:

For the record a nuclear reactor does not produce enriched uranium, it consumes it.

What it does produce on the other hand is plutonium through degradation of depleted uranium but it would take decades just to have a few as it only concerns very small quantities and it takes a very long time (talking of hundreds of millenia) for a full package to degrade. Centrifuges produce enriched uranium, and Iran agreed to dismantle these under control.

It reminds me of Israel bombing the French designed Iraqi reactor when each and every professional in the field, from France and abroad, dismissed the possibility it could be used to produce military grade nuclear equipments.

An English language translation from French foreign relationship ministry assessing the strike for the history:
    https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/Osirak.pdf

International Inspections and Osiraq
    Aside from nuclear capability, a second issue is whether international inspections, by both
    French technicians and IAEA inspectors, would have prevented Iraq from diverting
    plutonium from the reactor. By agreement, French technicians were at the reactor
    continuously, filing daily reports.27 Importantly, France seemed committed to preventing
    Iraq from acquiring nuclear weapons, a conclusion drawn from its public statements,
    signature to the NPT, decision not to provide Iraq with a gas-graphite reactor, and decision
    to provide Iraq with Caramel fuel. Further, there is some evidence that the French actually
    knew of and may have even facilitated the 1981 Israeli attack.28...

It is possible to have nuclear weapons and no nuclear reactors, we're talking of North Korea which has 0 nuclear reactor and still has nuclear weapons. There is Israel who only has a lousy test reactor and is still considered a major nuclear power.

You can have nuclear reactors and no weapons, such is the case of Japan, South Korea or the United Arab Emirates.

Israel has always said that they would use their Samson Option . Suggesting they have more than just a lousy test reactor.
    As @Matthieu said there is no necessary connection between the availability of nuclear reactors and weapons. Israel definitely has no civilian nuclear reactors, but has one heavy water reactor operating outside any inspection regime and is believed to have used that to produce plutonium for nuclear weapons - using fuel purchased from Argentina in the 1960s. Weapons grade material could also potentially have been directly purchased or produced using centrifuges though.
    See above.
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386

I don't need a lesson in Nuclear Arsenal and Reactors. I can wiki this all myself. You posted that Israel is considered a Nuclear power and it only has one reactor. I showed you in a link that says Israel has more than just a lousy reactor and is why they are called a nuclear power. But thanks for the info anyways.

Also to note, they are illegally a nuclear power.

I mean lousy by its size, it's nowhere as powerful as the full scale, electricity producing, reactors. And the reactor itself here is just a cover up for illegal activities running below. Activities which aren't exactly related to the reactor itself. Nuclear weapons production which was uncovered by a technician:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordechai_Vanunu

Israel technicaly is indeed an illegal nuclear military power, you're absolutly right.
    Anyway, while we discuss the North Korean, Iranian or Israeli nuclear capabilities let's not forget there is, somewhere in Sub-Saharian Africa, a rotting nuclear reactor.

In Kinshasa there is an experimental nuclear reactor, gift from the USA to Belgium, which minimum security and nearly 0 control. They got two uranium rods stolen in the 70s, one was found in Sicily in the hands of the mafia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvkyjD9cCck

^^ in French but you can set the subtitles to auto-translate and NO it's not a mockumentary. It's dead serious.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Talking of sub-Saharan Africa, this is quite an interesting article about the South African nuclear weapons programme:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction

I was invited to visit the Pelindaba plant after it had been de-commissioned and was struck by how easy it was to hide something in plain sight, simply by sticking it in the middle of nowhere in the African bush.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Seems a NATO country really doesn't give a flying monkey about Washington's rants about Iranian presence in mideast:

https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/turkey-coordinating-with-iran-on-possible-military-incursion-into-iraq-1.6174052
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    chimaera said:

Once the leaders in the DPRK realize how much money they can make by denuclearizing themselves and opening up the country for tourism and trade, they will kick themselves for not doing it years ago. Money is a great motivator for change.

There is only one leader in North Korea, and considering he's been doing business with China & Russia for years, I doubt he cares about the few more potential tourists. Especially since his business partners don't care about the sanctions and the West has no means of controlling the Korean-Chinese border anyway.

A dictator is interested first and foremost in keeping his power, whether you are talking about North Korea or Saudi Arabia.

Edit: And speaking of sanctions, the new railway between China and Iran is up and running cargo.
    Agreed. Money is a poor substitute for power.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited June 2018
    Trump has now stated there is no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited June 2018
    I mean, this is Trump in a nutshell. People want easy answers, and he gives it to them. Since it was all over TV, of course SOMETHING must have happened. And what difference does it make when he turns out to be wrong in a week, a month, or a year?? Nothing about support of Trump is based on actual policy, aside from how Trump decides wants to spin it that day. His supporters will turn on a dime based on what he tweets out. 10 days ago, it's unlikely you'd have found anyone, even the most hard-core right-winger in the country railing against Canada. Now?? Justin Trudeau might as well be Stalin. This has become entirely a cult of personality at this point. And the reason we know this is that positions and convictions held one day have no bearing outside of a 24-hour news cycle.

Nothing happened in Singapore that has any bearing on North Korea's nuclear program. What they agreed to was not even up to the level of two kids pricking their fingers and becoming blood brothers. Yet, he has declared it so, so roughly 35% of the population will flat-out believe that is what happened. They wanted an easy to digest cartoon character, and that is what we have as President. Again, these are the SAME people who were delighted to rip up and toss to the side an ACTUAL deal in regards to Iran on nuclear diplomacy, but are perfectly willing to accept the verification of a fake one simply because of who is telling them the information. What kind of cognitive dissonance does it take to square this in one's head?? Even if you believe the summit was an amazing moment, that doesn't change the fact that NOTHING has happened in regards to North Korea's nukes. Nothing. But Trump is legitimately claiming the program has been flat-out eradicated after a couple hours of chit-chat. If someone believes that, there is no reaching them. This is Trump (and this is his one innate talent) knowing full well that there is a sucker born every minute, and that most people don't read past the headline in the newspaper.

Meanwhile, Corey Stewart, who won the Virginia GOP Senate Primary last night, a man who was OPENLY sympathetic to the white nationalist march in Charlottesville, and who has made several appearances with Jason Kessler, the organizer of that event, has been officially endorsed by Trump. Because it's always been obvious what this whole "movement" is about.

Oh, and just for the hell of it, the Trump Administration is also planning on erecting tent cities to house thousands of immigrant children taken from their parents. Which again brings up the fact that we are taking THOUSANDS of children away from their parents purely as a punitive measure. You can still come claim asylum in the United States. But we'll kidnap your child and put them in a camp.
    Let's not make assumptions about 35% of the population, people.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited June 2018

Let's not make assumptions about 35% of the population, people.

I believe that number is supposed to be based on polls showing his hardcore supporters being completely unwilling to budge from supporting Trump despite outrage and evidence of him undermining their health, wealth and liberty.

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

I just watched a video of Trump claiming that during the campaign, parents of Korean War veterans whose remains are still on Korean soil came up to him and asked him to bring their sons home. Hell of a story. Very touching. The Korean War took place in the 1950s. Any parents of Korean War vets would be well over 100 years old by now. Someone estimated between 105-112, at a MINIMUM. I'd be surprised if there were a half dozen of these parents still living, much less who met with Trump. This never happened, unless Trump was meeting with zombies on the campaign trail.

There are two separate parts to this lie. One is that Trump just makes shit up out of the blue. But #2 is that he either clearly doesn't know when the Korean War took place, or he knows he can get away with saying ANYTHING no matter how preposterous. I know this much, any Democrat caught saying something so absurd would immediately be viewed as an affront to Gold Star parents, and they would be driven from public life with a horse whip.

What, you need evidence or something? You sound like one of those science nerds who actually investigate claims. Shame on you for believing Google over our spiritual leader. Clearly he's on a different plane of existence. You're only seeing the here-and-now. You can't look to visual or intellectual evidence, it's only on the existential spiritual plane that you can evaluate his performance. He's battling demonic forces (the media and George Soros) that are Hell-bent on destroying him.

I'm not really kidding here, my parents believe something almost exactly along these lines. My mom almost fell over when I told her that Soros was a Jew. In their view Jews can do no wrong. She took me at my word but I'm almost positive that if anybody from her worldview told her that was fake news she would believe them over me.

I'm personally not blind to Trump's weaknesses, but I'm actually glad he won so we get a chance to try out some of these conservative ideas and see what happens. I think he's a very flawed individual but I don't think he's going to lead to WW3 or destroy our relationships with other countries beyond repair. There are far too many Chicken Littles on both sides of the political spectrum these days. It just seems like Trump is either the second-coming of Christ or he's Hitler and I think both of those views are BS...
    Balrog99 said:

It just seems like Trump is either the second-coming of Christ or he's Hitler and I think both of those views are BS...

What do you think he is instead? The second coming of Hitler? :wink:
    edited June 2018

Balrog99 said:

It just seems like Trump is either the second-coming of Christ or he's Hitler and I think both of those views are BS...

What do you think he is instead? The second coming of Hitler? :wink:
    I think he's an idiot-savant who figured out how to work the system enough to win the presidency. It wasn't even all that hard apparently because most of our population is mind-numbed wombats. Whoever works up the wombats more will win...

Edit: I'll even admit to being a wombat who had to choose between Tweedle-Dum and Tweedle-Dummer.

Spoke to a friend today and they brought this to my attention.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/europe/austria-mosques-imams-intl/index.html

Apparently these mosques are getting funded by Turkey, which is against the law in Austria.

Apparently these mosques are getting funded by Turkey, which is against the law in Austria.

Odd, since Turkey isn't traditionally very religious. One of my co-workers is Turkish so I get to hear about their politics more than most Americans. She doesn't ever muse about wanting to move back there though so that's kind of telling...
    Balrog99 said:

Odd, since Turkey isn't traditionally very religious. One of my co-workers is Turkish so I get to hear about their politics more than most Americans. She doesn't ever muse about wanting to move back there though so that's kind of telling...
    I had family there and they got out when Erdogan took power as President. Left it all and skipped town. Very different vibe in Turkey nowadays.

Balrog99 said:

I had family there and they got out when Erdogan took power as President. Left it all and skipped town. Very different vibe in Turkey nowadays.
    Still not 'Oh my God, it's Hitler!' though. My workmate thinks he's a step backward but doesn't think it's the apocolypae like folks in this country tend to carry on about when their guy/gal doesn't win.
    Balrog99 said:

Balrog99 said:

Still not 'Oh my God, it's Hitler!' though. My workmate thinks he's a step backward but doesn't think it's the apocolypae like folks in this country tend to carry on about when their guy/gal doesn't win.
    The remaining Christians have very little rights in Turkey to begin with. With Erdogan's Islamic push and trying to distance Turkey from Ataturk's vision it is only going to get worse. Turkey is a powder keg ready to blow.

Of course not Hitler, there was only one.

Balrog99 said:

Balrog99 said:

The remaining Christians have very little rights in Turkey to begin with. With Erdogan's Islamic push and trying to distance Turkey from Ataturk's vision it is only going to get worse. Turkey is a powder keg ready to blow.

Of course not Hitler, there was only one.
    The Muslims in this country probably feel the same way. Ignorance is universal it seems...
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,335
    He may not be Hitler, but the tactics he's using have a lot of similarities to those used by Hitler in the 1930s to seize power. The election due in Turkey shortly will confirm him as Executive President giving him legal dictatorial authority, but he effectively already has that power as a result of the purges carried out on the civil service, judiciary, press, police etc. He's been able to get to that position by creating enemies of the state to justify the use of extra-legal powers against any potential opposition.
    Grond0 said:

He may not be Hitler, but the tactics he's using have a lot of similarities to those used by Hitler in the 1930s to seize power. The election due in Turkey shortly will confirm him as Executive President giving him legal dictatorial authority, but he effectively already has that power as a result of the purges carried out on the civil service, judiciary, press, police etc. He's been able to get to that position by creating enemies of the state to justify the use of extra-legal powers against any potential opposition.

The tactics still work unfortunately, but the blind eye showed to Hitler back in 1938 isn't likely to ever happen again at least for a few more generations..
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Balrog99 said:

Grond0 said:

The tactics still work unfortunately, but the blind eye showed to Hitler back in 1938 isn't likely to ever happen again at least for a few more generations..
    I think it happens all the time, it just has never gone THAT far again. Hitler's tactics are used constantly, they are being used in this country right now. That doesn't mean that leads to World War or gas chambers, but it does mean people need to be on the lookout for the signs of authoritarianism. And they are everywhere. In Turkey, in the Philippines, and in the US. Anytime you have a leader who is systematically trying to destroy the credibility of the free press and place themselves in a position where they are above the law, things are already pretty far gone. No one can deny those steps are taking place here. It is also impossible to argue that the theory of "the big lie" isn't used by Trump on a daily basis, or that FOX News and AM radio aren't strict propaganda outfits that any practitioner of the art from the past would be quite proud of. We are also seeing a cult of personality develop that has nothing much to do with actual policy, but the whims of one man's mood on a particular day. And the party which he essentially co-opted has turned themselves over to him. He is mostly surrounded by military leaders, family members, and utter syncophants. These are all tell-tale signs of a massive looming problem. It won't show itself fully until the economy takes a hit. But does anyone think that won't happen again??
    edited June 2018

Erdogan and Turkey are on borrowed time. That whole region is champing at the bit and waiting to pounce. Syria has now joined that group. Ever since Russia grabbed Crimea they have had their eye on the Bosporus Strait. Erdogan can bark all he wants but if they continue to pick fights with NATO and European countries, it will come back to bite him.

Erdogan and Turkey are on borrowed time. That whole region is champing at the bit and waiting to pounce. Syria has now joined that group. Ever since Russia grabbed Crimea they have had their eye on the Bosporus Strait. Erdogan can bark all he wants but if they continue to pick fights with NATO and European countries, it will come back to bite him.

That assumes that Turkey wants to continue to be aligned with the western countries and they've already moved a long way away from that. Despite being a member of NATO Turkey are currently cooperating militarily more closely with Russia and, if that cooperation continues to grow, Russia would not have much reason to attack them.
    Grond0 said:

That assumes that Turkey wants to continue to be aligned with the western countries and they've already moved a long way away from that. Despite being a member of NATO Turkey are currently cooperating militarily more closely with Russia and, if that cooperation continues to grow, Russia would not have much reason to attack them.
    Turkey does the U.S's dirty work. They deal with Russia for them on joint ventures. Remember, even though Russia allegedly had a hand in the last US election and countless other crimes against the DNC, they share a space station. It's all a game.

Now speaking geopolitically is another story. Putin would sell his Mother to NATO if they allowed him to fund a civil war in Turkey. Come to think of it all of the Balkans would do the same.

Turkey is a power in the region because the U.S. allows it.

I don't think it's in US interests for Turkey to move to a more fundamentalist and authoritarian regime. Nor do I think that the US wishes Russia to cooperate with Turkey's vendetta against the Kurds.

If the US really did have such strong influence in the region, Russia wouldn't now be in control of the Crimea and Assad wouldn't be president in Syria.
    Can't help you there. Maybe if you read up on the political climate of the Balkans and the US involvement over the years regarding Turkey you can get a clearer picture. My family and I had lived it for years and know first hand the manipulation in that region by the U.S.

Which poison should the Balkans choose? Tito and Communist Yugoslavia or American Imperialism. Hopefully now if FYROM agrees to a name change and they are granted EU and NATO membership Russian, Turkish and CIA influence in that country can be weeded out.

Turkey does not want a Kurdistan, nor does the U.S. During the Iran/Iraq Saddam was gassing the Kurds which the U.S. pushed him to do because the Kurds where helping Iran. Recently the U.S. made a deal with the Kurds to help them with the ISIS problem. Now they are letting Turkey and sworn enemy Iran to finish them off.

The EU was not only created for economical strength and unity but to be able to be strong enough to tell the U.S., Russia and Turkey to bug off when needed. Hopefully now with Trump and his Tariffs and the Russians and Turkey inerfering with Euro politics they will finally grow some balls and do something about it.

This discussion has been closed.