Skip to content

Is autocorrect evil or just chaotic neutral?

mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
edited July 2014 in Off-Topic
Thanks to autocorrect we saw @CaloNord‌ become CaloNerd and a discussion about lunch suddenly discussing launch... Don't ask me what was launched, I don't know :)

Anyway, @Metalloman‌ believes autocorrect is evil while I think it's just chaotic neutral.

So what did autocorrect do against you lately? Is it evil, chaotic neutral or some other alignment? Does it have plans to make us look stupid at the worst times? Some wierd plans for world domination?
Post edited by mlnevese on

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Before someone asks I'm bringing this discussion from the activity pages to the actual forum. @CrevsDaak‌ was right when he said it was a fun thread there ;)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I'd say that it's Lawful Evil, with great Chaotic tendencies, like when you're writing something informal and the autocorrector has the great idea of changing the Spanish word 'asa!' (it's not a word really, it's an exclamation) into 'ass!' and things like that...
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I assume so aesbass. ;) It's not to offensive ;) Seriously though, I've had to argue with my technology so much lately. All this automation makes you go a little dumb to. You forget how to spell basic words and how grammar works because the phone does it for you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Roll with it! It's autocorrect, it's easier if you just roll with it. So yea, the Superhornet now has erection seats... I shudder to think what they do... but roll with it!
    A diabolo, qui est simia dei.
    I love latin. :) Such a graceful language.

But seriously. It is out to get you. If you went to school you should know how to spell anyway! Even if you don't most people will catch your drift...

I'd never thought that @mlnevese could have been able to post such a thread! XD

Anyway: Autocorrect is EVIL! I warn you! I disabled it from the very beginning because I foresaw DOOM!
    Disable it you all, or eternal DOOM will fall on your mobile devices and you'll cry in despair in saecula saeculorum!!!

@Metalloman‌ I consider this a public service thread :)
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    You enlightened me! ;P
    @mlnevese‌: Is me getting blind or this thread is in the Italian Off-Topic Area? ;P
    @Metalloman‌ I blame autocorrect. :)
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited July 2014
    I don't think that it is inherently good or evil. It is like communism or totalitarianism where the intentions might very well be good, but the implementation is never ideal.

Spell-check is the worst of all abominations to have spawned out of the Chaotic Evil plane. Auto-correct is but a diabolic servant.

Especially to fantasy writers.

Autocorrect is worse in my opinion. Spellcheck only notifies you of a perceived mistake. Autocorrect forces it upon you without your permission. Spellcheck is somewhat democratic, whereas autocorrect is downright totalitarian.
    OF CRUSOE!!! ;)
    LoL @mlnevese! In German OT XD
    @Metalloman‌ More proof it's chaotic neutral. And that I shouldn't edit threads in a phone :)
    Say what now? He made that site?!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

mlnevese‌: Is me getting blind or this thread is in the Italian Off-Topic Area? ;P

LoL mlnevese! In German OT XD

HAH! That was the reason why I couldn't find this thread again (since I got summoned I found it easily the first time)!
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Pure evil. No doubt about it. Though I must, begrudgingly, give the devil his due. Only an evil mastermind could have conceived such a plan to lull those of us who are spelling challenged into such a false sense of security. Evil, but brilliant.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'd still go with chaotic neutral :)
    Mine used to be oddly inconsistent to. That's why I went with Evil, I think it just sits in there, in the corner, being all self aware and evil waiting for you to least suspect it. Then it changes the entire meaning of your message to make you look like a fool then LAUGH evilly in the corner!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVY1-v97Mic