Skip to content

Toxic Internet Communities, your worst experiences.

Comments

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    @SCARY_WIZARD‌ Exactly, I feel it was one of those shows where the writers knew what they wanted but took to long to get to it. Being such a big change from what they were used to with Atlantis and SG-1. One or two more seasons would have been really good though. It had potential. Just lacked that sense of fun and adventure SG-1 and Atlantis had, even though they could do serious pretty well to.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @Drugar‌:
    That is pretty much exactly the kind of stuff I got to witness on Tumblr.
    I mean, yeah, I can see why people shouldn't use the term "retarded" in certain ways, but "dumb" and "crazy"? Really? Really?
    The whole trigger word deal is pretty, pardon my french, "dumb", too.
    As someone who actually suffers from real and clinically proven (by multiple doctors) PTSD, I can just laugh at these tiny special snowflakes and their utter lack of common sense. Well, I would laugh, if it wasn't so sad.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

@Drugar‌:
    That is pretty much exactly the kind of stuff I got to witness on Tumblr.
    I mean, yeah, I can see why people shouldn't use the term "retarded" in certain ways, but "dumb" and "crazy"? Really? Really?
    The whole trigger word deal is pretty, pardon my french, "dumb", too.
    As someone who actually suffers from real and clinically proven (by multiple doctors) PTSD, I can just laugh at these tiny special snowflakes and their utter lack of common sense. Well, I would laugh, if it wasn't so sad.

I use "dumb" when I want to be nice about a mistake I made! Or channel Cindy Brady.
    edited July 2014

pardon my french

I am terribly sorry, this is racist towards french people. Oh wait, France is mainly populated by white people, so that's ok. I forgot that speaking other languages is cultural appropriation, so I will just stop speaking in other languages all together.
    I wonder what they'd think of the Highlander, especially Duncan MacLeod. Like, he was born in Scotland, wandered Europe, hung out in Asia and got a Katana in Japan, hung out with Kossacks and Native Americans, fought against the United States in the Alamo, and yeah.

Baaack on track... Yes. Internet. Bad people. I heard GameFAQs and IGN are pretty bad?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Again, let's please avoid active antagonism of people and communities, even if you disagree with them. If I have to say it again I will close this thread.
    I'm with Dee, lets not go nuts. When I said 'Share your experiences be they good or bad' I was aiming for @Drugar‌ type of thing, more your personal experiences with a site/forum/community/game rather then a generalist attack on something.

That being said, I find the level of political correctness on the old guys blog completely insane. There is a need to protect your user base from bullying/racism/slurs but without going utterly nuts.

I've seen a couple of boards over the years with an Auto ban function that used to kick members for using certain keywords.

I've never actively tried IGN so I couldn't comment, I do however love the Flight Sim X community, I've never had ANY problems at all with anyone on there. In fact a couple of them are now my friends in the real world as well as the pixel one. Runescape when I was much younger wasn't to bad either, though that might have been because I wasn't paying that much attention at the time. . .

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    My favourite forum tactic to deal with profanity was a peculiar filter... it changed words. :p You could whatever, but certain key words were switched to inoffensive ones... ie the s word became 'poop', with different suffixes as necessary. Worked really well, AND was hilarious whenever anyone would be incorrectly corrected.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    DreadKhan said:

My favourite forum tactic to deal with profanity was a peculiar filter... it changed words. :p You could whatever, but certain key words were switched to inoffensive ones... ie the s word became 'poop', with different suffixes as necessary. Worked really well, AND was hilarious whenever anyone would be incorrectly corrected.

The main problem is that this kind of filter often decides to change something in the middle of a word instead of restricting itself to full words only. A smart troll who knows this kind of filter is in place will often use it to write exactly the kind of word the filter should be avoiding...
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    At one point, AOL banned use of the word "breast" in its communities, until it was realized that this made it impossible to discuss things like "Breast Cancer" :P (I mean, it also banned other words for other genitalia, as well as shit, the F word, Piss, etc. I don't think "boob" was one of the banned words, strangely enough.)
    That's the issue with Autobans and filters, they don't discriminate against legitimate uses of the word. I use the Tinychat/ausremix almost everynight, theres only a half dozen of us so it's hardly a community and the mods like to amuse themselves sometimes by setting the autoban to an obscure word then trying to direct the conversation in that direction, it's like playing golf in the dark. Eventually someone will say whatever the word is and be kicked from the room automatically. They get back in of course but it is an amusing use of the autoban. :D
    edited July 2014
    @Jenzafar‌ Umm. . . is it bad Jess and I would really like to see this. . .
    Post edited by CaloNord on
    One of my RPG buddies from high school said that metal music forums could be pretty toothy. Looots of arguments at the time about Nightwish and Tarja Turunen's departure, and one time he got into the equivalent of a slap-fight over the lyrics to Dream Theater's "Forsaken". We were both of the school of thought that said "whatever".
    but just the same he'd moderate a Marvel Comics forum and bait people, so
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254
    Toxic communities?

Ok, two come to mind. First off from a gaming community; League of legends. Where you or you're family are told to obtain cancer just for either taking someone's champion, lane or kill.

Secondly, from a social media community; Facebook. Facebook has turned into filth now. When it was first up and running it was being used for the intended purposes however now a most recent example, one of my best mates can't log in to see a picture of him and his fiancee to be filled with comments about how 'sexy' she looks and she's getting MARRIED. Absolute filth.

Not to mention that the news feed seems to be riddled with trash now. Stopped checking Facebook since '13 and only use it for messenger - since it's cheaper than phone call or texting and been better off without it.
  • InvictusCobraInvictusCobra Member Posts: 108
    I could sit here and describe the behaviour of most of the WoW, LoL and DotA 2 players I've played with and write a book on toxicity in gaming communities. I had some of my worst experiences with communities and players in those games. Not fun. Basically, since last year I've been more or less avoiding Multiplayer games, in any shape or form, with the exception of co-op. Though it can be my fault sometimes as I can be quite toxic due to being a sore loser who takes online matches and competitiveness too seriously. Long story short: I just avoid PvP in any way I possibly can, even with just friends.
  • BlastbackBlastback Member Posts: 54
    First internet community I ever joined was a Transformers website, Seibertron. (This was in 2003, years before the Bay films!!!) I was in high school at the time.

It was fun but could be very toxic. Some of the older fans were very unwelcoming to younger fans who joined. One guy apparantly was a little annoying, so some of the older fans took to following him into whatever thread he posted in in order to insult him. He could say something like "Happy Birthday!" and they would be accusing him of being dumb and annoying and all this other stuff. Sadly it wasn't an isolated incident. Another guy bragged about getting a poster to kill himself once... it was bad. I think it's supposed to be better now, but it just stoped being fun.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Facebook
  • FleshIsADesignFlawFleshIsADesignFlaw Member Posts: 39
    I'm not playing Dota 2 but played DotA (the warcraft 3 map) for a very long time ..the community became famously toxic when DotA became big and competitive. There used to be discussion of this on the dota forums. Mass appeal, teenager median age, competitiveness, anonymity and your teammate being capable of ruining a 40 min game for you = toxic community.

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Friends of mine are way into Dota, they got me to play a game once.
    Never again. I'm generally pretty cool with being insulted (the internet being what it is, you get used to it and I'm usually pretty zen) but the massive level of abuse I suffered just from being new at the game, good lord.
    They can keep their game. I'll stick to Single Player, thanks.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Bioware Social. Especially Dragon Age.
    If you don't think Mages are the most tortured, long-suffering people most deserving of sympathy and freedom, prepare to get shouted down by the same sort of people who run around as SJWs on other forums.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    The Mount and Blade community can be quite hostile sometimes, especially if you like to play as an archer (and don't even think about going horse!).

Shields are considered lame too. In fact the only acceptable way to fight is with a two-handed weapon and nothing else. Even if you're playing siege, when the objective is to, you know, defend your fort by any means necessary.

People also like to spam the crap out of kick-votes in servers that allow you to vote to kick other players. Sometimes, I get polled to kick somebody every ten seconds...I generally ignore them now because I'm so sick of it. I'll only ever vote to kick someone if they really are a trouble-player (and there have been players who just troll for the sake of it).

I used to like playing it because there are a lot of German players, and it helps me with my German. ;-) But some of the players are less than courteous. Oddly enough, the VikingR community is a lot better than the M&B Native community on that front.

Also, being a fan of Elite: Dangerous, it was only a matter of time before I discovered Star Citizen - apparently people think this is a competitive dogfighting game (basically Call of Duty in space), and if you're not okay with griefing, ganking, and basically being blown out of the sky the moment you leave your hangar, you're a "carebear". Of course, the same goes the other way too - anyone who advocates PVP is a "griefer", and the forum is pretty much divided into those two camps.

Looots of arguments at the time about Nightwish and Tarja Turunen's departure...

This still goes on. Every time I click on a Youtube link for a Nightwish song, most of what I see in the comments is "Bring Tarja back now!" While I agree that Tarja was an amazing vocalist, people seem under the impression that they can wave a magic wand and instantly make them all friends again. I also feel sorry for Anette...can't have been easy for her to live in Tarja's shadow the whole time, seeing nothing but insults from the fans. No wonder she bailed.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    bioware forums were pretty horrible, id probably say the worst not due to the actual messages but because they are the only dev run forum in which the devs felt as antagonistic as the posters and just thoroughly mishandled sensitive issues. Not to mention the state of some of the people if you happen to like/not like certain characters.

I also used to play MAG on ps3 a fps at which I was actually pretty decent, it was quite routine for me to receive abuse, hate mail or cheating accusations. My block list on my psn remains pretty huge to this very day.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    The Star Trek Online community was awful enough for me to ditch the game entirely.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    First off, the most toxic "community" I've ever been on was probably Youtube. I haven't been a part of many internet communities, and most of the ones I have been a part of have been very good, though that may be in part because I ignore anyone who's not so nice. Trying to think back, the internet communities I've been a part of are:

Facebook (I've never had any issues. I think you guys must just have a lot of a-hole friends. =p)

BG Forums (No complaints. Minor things bother me occasionally, but it's practically nothing.)

Adventure Quest Worlds (Browser based MMO. It's basically baby's first MMO, but I met a lot of good people and made a lot of good friends over the years I used to play it. Plenty of idiots, though, but not too many truly hateful people. Mostly pre-teens that were whiny and annoying more than hateful.)

Gaia Online (Mostly interacted with my AQW friends, since they're what got me into it. I saw little to no trouble with it from my point of view, however I did quit the site because it was boring and a cash grab for the developers.)

Youtube (So many jack-a**es and trolls. So many.)

And I think that's it. I know I've been a part of other communities over the years too, but I can't remember them at all, so obviously there wasn't any bad event to make me remember.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Funny gaming community anecdote: i played a couple games of Stronghold online, especially Crusader. Since I wasnt a 'serious' player (ie playing maps in the 'ideal' way, just there for fun and to test my defences vs actual folks. Lots of folks took lots of trouble to 'master' a map I noticed), I was an incredibly frustrating opponent. Never lost, never won. ;) Loved discretely building up some knights in my 'badly designed' castle to sally forth at deeply infuriating moments in the original. Wiped out many an archer and engineer, to say nothing of Siege engined! Would have loved to see some players faces when they realized my castle was essentially impossible to take.

The 'toxic' part was a guy that insisted I 'not use fire', in Crusader. I dont agree, but he goes on about how lame a completely legitimate tactic is! Then I see why, hes a tool that is playing a bloody CASTLE SIM like its Warcraft!

Since he didnt spend a dime defensively, and stone was VERY available, he tried to trebuchet me to death... needless to say, despite throwing repeated unit cap size armies st my 'lame' castle, he failed and gave up. :D
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited August 2014
    By the way, I will repeat it again for people that might have missed it.

The Bioware Social Forum is only toxic in their new games forums. The older games' forums like Jade Empire, NwN1/2, KOTOR etc is full of helpful and nice people.

I really have absolutely no complaint for the NwN2 forum community.

I checked the forums on Mass Effect/Dragon Age and I eye-rolled so damn hard at the fanboyism and bias.

Also RPG freakin' Codex.

Full of people with a billion posts, that constantly insult other people (with the worst vocabulary possible) that have even slightly different opinions and also anything other than Planescape: Torment, Arcanum and some obscure DOS RPGs is absolute garbage and you deserve to be verbally lynched because they know better and "you are a f*ggot/retard/idiot/whatever".

But, despite their Demi-plane of Acid forums, their reviews and lists are interesting.
    It's one of those "love them or hate them" forums.