Skip to content

You know they still haven't invented artificial intelligence when ....

kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
Microsoft cheerfully tells you it is searching online for help to solve the problem that you can't get online.

Comments

• Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    You open a ticket in Steam, asking for info on how to delete your saved game data (because there it is cloud). You get a reply like this: "We are sorry, but we are unable to do such a thing, or provide info that would be accurate. Open a ticket into the developing company's website".

10 minutes later, while googling, i simply bump into a thread (of another site), describing pretty accurately, how to delete your saved game's data if you so wish. Plus another 3d party program for restarting achievements and stats (like playing time)...

Steam, does not know how to manage your own games and data, in STEAM FOR CRYING OUT LOUDLY! Artificial intelligence hasn't been either invented or IMPLEMENTED throughout real life, at all!
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    "You have arrived at your destination!" the satnav announces proudly. Your friend takes one look at the deserted landscape, hangs her head and asks quietly "You did bring your map, didn't you?".

(This did actually happen and is the subject of an on-going feud between us.)
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Hell, human stupidity still exists… Can't get onto a website, call human tech, get told, oh you should go to our website for tips on how to deal with that…The website I can't get onto, which I told you about 30 seconds ago? That website? ARGH!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    when it's the 22th time you open the same IE-modding related archive and your computer still asks you if you are sure you want to open the file you just downloaded (in may 2014) from the internet. *sigh*
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    @CrevsDaak‌ but the interwebz does haz VIRUZEZ!!1

Cuz lord knows all viruses are polite enough to wait until you open them! Last year, I got this thing labled 'The Flu' from this sketchy guy who looked like he just puked a watermellon, so I chose not to open it. Very convinient, those viruses!

@subtledoctor‌ or should I said viri? ;)
    @DreadKhan‌ if you find a working virus for mac osx 10.7.5 I'd be surprised.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    CrevsDaak said:

@DreadKhan‌ if you find a working virus for mac osx 10.7.5 I'd be surprised.

You know I was being sarcastic, right?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    deltago said:

... my alarm clock hasn't figured a way to defend itself in the morning after the thrashings I give it to allow me to sleep an extra 10 minutes.

When our AI Overlord rises from the seas of data that is the Internet you will be sorry for your actions. And so will be @Metalloman‌ for killing all those spambots :)
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    I will be well prepared and completely awake when that time will come.
    my toothache will help me to stay awake, also
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    edited August 2014
    ... when Adobe wants to update something.... anything! at least once a day or it goes away and sulks.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    kiwidoc said:

... when Adobe wants to update something.... anything! at least once a day or it goes away and sulks.

"What do we say to Adobe?"
    "Not today!"
    edited August 2014
    !
    abacus said:

kiwidoc said:

"Not today!"
    Oddly enough that's exactly what I DO say! I blame GRR Martin ... for EVERYTHING! Only kidding, I love ASOIAF

• Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    edited August 2014
    When the pathfinding is horrible at best...
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    ...you're fighting a SPAD XIII in a Fokker DVII, and the SPAD pilot tries to out-turn you, rather than using his superior speed to his advantage, like any half decent SPAD pilot would do (since he should know that a SPAD can't outperform any German plane but is probably the fastest thing in the sky during WW1).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited August 2014
    kiwidoc said:

Microsoft cheerfully tells you it is searching online for help to solve the problem that you can't get online.

I have a similar one.

My cell phone died so I tried emailing my service provider explaining the situation (because I was lazy and didn't want to wait on the line on my home phone forever waiting for an agent).

Needless to say it sent back an automated response that said "dial 611 on your cell phone to contact a customer service agent". Sounds pretty reasonable :D
  • terzaerianterzaerian Member Posts: 232
    edited August 2014
    abacus said:

kiwidoc said:

"Not today!"
    This is actually a photo emot-siren.gifvery bad ideaphoto emot-siren.gif because those are often security patches for serious exploits. And just because you think your computer is secured doesn't mean it is secured - virus shields can miss infections at times, and malware is becoming more and more subtle these days, preferring to quietly use your CPU or network resources in the background. Though we're seeing a renaissance in ransomware like CryptoLocker that encrypts your files and then demands a ransom to decrypt them.

Yes, I am the Bob Barker of updating your Adobe. Please update your Flash and Java, folks.

abacus said:

kiwidoc said:

"Not today!"
    This is actually a photo emot-siren.gifvery bad ideaphoto emot-siren.gif because those are often security patches for serious exploits. And just because you think your computer is secured doesn't mean it is secured - virus shields can miss infections at times, and malware is becoming more and more subtle these days, preferring to quietly use your CPU or network resources in the background. Though we're seeing a renaissance in ransomware like CryptoLocker that encrypts your files and then demands a ransom to decrypt them.

Yes, I am the Bob Barker of updating your Adobe. Please update your Flash and Java, folks.
    But first make damn sure it really IS Java asking you to update. Don't click any links in a "you must update your Java" popup that suddenly appears in your browser. Go directly to the page - I was saved by my anti-malware and antivirus from going to a toxic page from a very clever little fake popup. The irony was that I really did need to update my Java ... but not from them. Which onl;y goes to show we may not have artificial intelligence yet, but we do have artificial malevolence!
  • terzaerianterzaerian Member Posts: 232
    Indeed. Java updates will be signaled by an icon in the taskbar on Windows, while Flash, if it is not set to automatically update, will usually pop a window up soon after log in.

As well, if you use Avast! it will start to bug you if Adobe, Flash, or other programs are getting out of date. It can be configured to not tell you about certain things (for example, I've told it not to complain about my Opera 12 browser, which I prefer over non-Presto Opera 20+) as well. So, if you get a window telling you to update Flash or Java, a quick check of Avast! can tell you if either need updating - and if they do, you can then update without issue.
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    Surely that should be 'Please uninstall your Java and never install it ever again'?

Surely that should be 'Please uninstall your Java and never install it ever again'?

But how would you run swift scripts then?
    @southpaw - oh I LOVE that joke! Absolutely brilliant and just wayyyy to true!
    CrevsDaak said:

But how would you run swift scripts then?

I should have qualified that Windows users should uninstall Java, linux & mac users are probably fine.

Plus I think if you're running swift you can install any damn thing you want to. Or better yet, order chuck Norris to do it for you.
    You know they haven't invented artificial intelligence when .... windows keeps bitching at me to install the updates I installed yesterday
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    ... they still choose to endure a woman's intelligence for a hope to be entertained.
    Just .. wow. Have you ever actually MET any women?