Skip to content

Grammers

meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
edited August 2014 in Off-Topic
So with @bengoshi's grammar thread back up I got to thinking again(dangerous, I know. I try not to) and I was wondering if people mind when they get their grammar/spelling/syntax corrected, In both native tongues and in secondary languages. Do you find it useful or completely hate it? I personally don't mind if people don't make a huge scene of it, as long as it actually matters or hinders understanding. The whole purpose of grammar is to enhance and speed understanding, so when someone marks the question completely wrong on a test corrects me because I didn't capitalize Canadia or some crap I can get kinda annoyed. especially when it knocks my gpa down half a percent But other than that, whatever. I can deal with it if I find it annoying, and it's usually not even that. But what about you?
Clarification for voters: I mean in general, any language, any platform. Not just English, not just on the forums.
  1. Grammers26 votes
    1. I *hate* it whenever someone corrects me. I usually know it's wrong anyway, and I don't need my time wasted.
        0.00%
    2. I find it annoying and I'd rather people didn't do it, but I'll live.
        7.69%
    3. I don't mind *too* much, but I won't endorse it.
      26.92%
    4. I am indifferent.
      15.38%
    5. I don't really find it annoying at all. I actually correct other people sometimes.
      30.77%
    6. I think grammar is *very* important to efficient communication, and am always sure everyone around me is able to speak properly.
      11.54%
    7. Lol kitteh!
        7.69%
Post edited by meagloth on

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I try not to though. It can really piss people off.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I only correct my fiancée's "grammer", and only in private, and only because she's asked me to. I find it a bit too pedantic otherwise, but I'm not about to tell other people how to go about life. Correct others if you like, but know it's not always warmly received…
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I think grammar usage is very important for efficient and effective communication. Now, whether I've had enough sleep is going to be a key factor in how good my grammar is on any given day. :D

I think the issue I personally have with my grammar is that I am often thinking of several different things at once. Occasionally, I can end up smashing two sentences together without even knowing it. Alternatively, I can end up having a sentence made up of redundant or repetitive words, such as "I am going will go to the store." This is where I have been thinking about two things ('I am going' and 'I will go'), doing something else, and all the while not realising that I've taken the two forms and put them together. It is not right, and it is important that it does not happen. Trying to understand a sentence like that is simply confusing, even to me if I re-read it. I would hope others correct me when I make such errors, that is assuming I didn't spot it and correct it before anyone opens their mouth. :-)

(Also, capitalisation is to show importance. Are you saying that Canadia isn't important? Huh?!)

Capitalisation is especially when it comes to the internet, with its acronyms and lack of punctuation. 'ill' is another word for feeling 'sick', 'im' is the lowercase form of 'Instant Messaging'. If at least punctuation is used, 'i'll' becomes 'I will' and 'i'm' becomes 'I am'.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Troodon80 said:

(Also, capitalisation is to show importance. Are you saying that Canadia isn't important? Huh?!)

Capitalisation is especially when it comes to the internet, with its acronyms and lack of punctuation. 'ill' is another word for feeling 'sick', 'im' is the lowercase form of 'Instant Messaging'. If at least punctuation is used, 'i'll' becomes 'I will' and 'i'm' becomes 'I am'.

I say importance is for the ego leave me out of it :P
    Now really you can understand what is i'm / im or i'll /ill from a sentence there is no really need for capital latter for it you just need to use ' for it if you wanna say "i'll go and see what happen", or "I sent him a im I hope he will answer to it soon", or "i'm ill i'll go when i'll feel better but for now i'll just im him that i'm not feeling well" :P
  • ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
    Actually sometimes I'm so afraid of being corrected and of the idea that people might think I'm retarded because of my bad grammar, that I just don't react or post responses to certain threads (I'm a foreigner and English is like my 3rd or 4th language after polish, dutch and french).
    kaguana said:

Now really you can understand what...

I can understand what they are, in most circumstances, but I cannot endorse or condone deliberately bad/incorrect grammar. That applies for any language. I expect better from myself and so I expect the same from others—I do not see it as a particularly high expectation. :-)
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    @Troodon80‌ Well you expect other to be at the same lvl as you but not everyone can be at your lvl or higher for that matter every one has his own lvl of grammar (or lvl in anything in life really), you don't see it as a high expectation but it is for some people and they can't be at the lvl you expect them to be as example @ShadowHunter here that post that english is his 4th language so he know and understand but he is afraid to be corrected so he doesn't comment much and I think it a pity and that he should talk and say what he think and I'm glad he post his post here :)
    Clarification for voters: I mean in general, any language, any platform. Not just English, not just on the forums.

I don’t believe correcting other peoples grammar belongs in a forum, period.

You're right about not pointing out things on a forum. While I expect decent grammatical abilities from those around me, the only people I actually correct are people I talk to in person. Worded in such a way as to avoid a broken nose, obviously. :D
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    I is well good at grammer, isn't it? I talk english proper, I do, and I don't need no correcting from nobody! XD

I only correct people if they ask me to, since I know, from experience, that it isn't always appreciated. I also make allowances for people for whom English isn't a first language, since I know that they will always be better at English than I am at German. ;)

But, being a native English speaker, and from a well educated background, I consider myself to be better than the average English speaker, though I'm not exactly Oxford professor level, obviously.
    Squire said:

But, being a native English speaker, and from a well educated background, I consider myself to be better than the average English speaker, though I'm not exactly Oxford professor level, obviously.

probably. If you know the difference between verb and adjective you're better than the average american. you might be from the U.K. though;)
    (i put a ;) but its truel ;/)
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited August 2014
    Not a native speaker but I consider good grammar and punctuation a sign of intelligence.
    It's also a sign of wanting quality and not being sloppy.

A good, grammatically correct and quality post or comment and one that is sloppy and filled with mistakes, can be the difference between having your post ignored, not taken seriously or getting good and helpful responses.

Also there's nothing more frustrating between seeing native speakers that make more mistakes than non-native ones.
    Especially the "your/you're, their/they're/there, then/than" etc. It's not rocket science to figure out that you're means "you are".

I can forgive some mistakes here and there but I've seen posts with no grammar, no punctuation, no capitalization and no spacing.
    Just a big, continuous, freaking wall of text that makes my eyes bleed.
    Post edited by Archaos on
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    The grammar police never seem to have any manners or respect, they just act all smug and assume anyone that makes a mistake is a dumbass. They never add anything of value to a conversation.
    edited August 2014
    Archaos said:

Also there's nothing more frustrating between seeing native speakers that make more mistakes than non-native ones.
    Especially the "your/you're, their/they're/there, then/than" etc. It's not rocket science to figure out that you're means "you are".

This is actually understandable for a native speak to mess up more than a non native. When you're a native speaker, you learn to speak, and *then* to write. Generally when you learn a foreign language you learn writing and speaking together. So since these mistakes all sound the same, you first learn that it's the same thing, and then have to learn to differentiate them as opposed to learning them as to different things.
    Buts it's still sad when foreigners speak your language better than you do.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    edited August 2014
    meagloth said:

probably. If you know the difference between verb and adjective you're better than the average american. you might be from the U.K. though;)
    (i put a ;) but its truel ;/)

Or the difference between "ask" and "axe". ;-) I am indeed from the UK, and trust me, the average Brit is no better, in this, than the average American.
    Actually, native English speakers are amongst the worst for this! We get lazy when it comes to our own language, and many of us are of the impression that we don't need to learn it properly. Non-native speakers do have to learn it, so they generally take the trouble to learn it properly. I've seen many non-native speakers able to speak English better than the native speakers.

As for the "your/you're" thing (its/it's, and whose/who's, are the other ones), for some reason, many native English speakers seem under the impression that an apostrophe always indicates possession. And I won't even go into the whole "who/whom" thing!

By the by, this is a funny sketch related to grammar, and modern day speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGp4DvFEgh8
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Not for nothing, Geoffrey Chaucer regularly used the word "ax", rather than "ask". People have been saying both for over 1,200 years.
    (NOW who's being pedantic, jackjack?
    I was merely…
    Hush up, will you?
    But I…
    I said hush up you! I'll not ax you again!)
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    I learned English in school and high school back in the '70s and '80s and have used it in private and professionally for many years but I know my English is far from perfect (if you heard me speak "Danglish", you'd know what I mean!;-). So I can forgive when others, especially non-native speakers, make mistakes.

It's different when people deliberately bungle their English. Or fail to run a spellchecker when one is easily available in their web browsers.

I don't correct others but I do consider it a nuisance if somebody who should know better writes "4u" instead of "for you". I think it's common courtesy not to deliberately make your posts harder to read than absolutely necessary.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    No, "I am grateful when others correct my grammar, because I would like to do better."?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    AM I SHOUTING? OH NOES!

I type everything via a small tablet, and usually with one hand. And that hand sometimes is holding a lit cigar. So I make mistyping errors often. I like keyboards. Touchscreens are for children too silly to have learned basic touch typing. :/ I am likely to drop some bits like apostrophes, as I need to dig to use it. Ugh.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    On the spot GRAMMIFICATION!

New rules!

New rule 1: To avoid blocks of text you now must place a blank line every three sentences. A new paragraph is signified with three blank lines.

New rule 2: The last sentence of any text must end in an ellipse.

I wonder if they will catch on. I've always wanted to put my mark on the world of literacy! Yes.

I will become an honorary Doctor of English at Cambridge University! Knighted! Famous!...

Bugger...