Skip to content

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced! (Release Date: October 30, 2014)

Comments

• SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    edited September 2014
    Maybe polar bears are there, but the Grizzly kit is not. At least not in v1.2.

And would the sprite really need a script if it's going to be for a PC?
    Post edited by Sjerrie on
  • ForgottenMythForgottenMyth Member Posts: 60
    just heard about this today and immediately pre-ordered im so excited :)

Hope theres an IWD2:EE eventually. im prob one of the few ppl that enjoyed the 3rd edition rules on the Infinity Engine and would love to see that expanded to what 3.5 was like at the end of its life with all those prestige classes
  • SkydogSkydog Member Posts: 111
    aw, shuks)))
    was thinking about spending the whole night IWDEE testing, but it was a patch notification(((((((
  • hughcaldhughcald Member Posts: 9
    I never did complete the original, I've had to slow down on my gaming and increase quilting because one of my sister wives got turned on to D&D.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    "Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced!"
    --> well, actuzally an excellent idea/news, that ^^

Just hoping the initial debugging team will be more effective than the one on bg1/bg2 during the initial launches..for bg2 most of the (some majors) bugs from the big list are always not fixed so well.. let's hope that one will be better.

but an excellent idea to go on with the serie.. interesting. I never really knew the universe of icewind..never really had the time/possibility to get into that one at the time..if the team skills stacked up with the previous releases should be excellent indeed!.. so./
  • jamoecwjamoecw Member Posts: 41
    edited September 2014
    elminster said:

jamoecw said:

if you wear armor then you need more than 100 for disarm traps and such.

Unless the armor explicitly says it reduces your ability to find traps/open locks (elven chainmail or hide armor would be examples of this) then this isn't the case. But studded leather for instance wouldn't require you to have over 100.

The armor a thief usually wears hinders him in using his thieving abilities to the maximum, so there are penalties for a thief wearing armor at work:

No armor: pick pockets +5 / move silently +10 / hide in shadows +5

Elven chain: pick pockets -20 / open locks -5 / disarm traps -5 / move silently hide in shadows -10

Leather armor: pick pockets -30 / open locks -10 / disarm traps -10 / move silently & hide in shadows -20

Bards suffer a -25 penalty on pickpocket when wearing regular chain mail.
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/thieves.php
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/armor.php
    as you can see it is in fact not true at all. studded leather has penalties. as no armor has bonuses, this means that you need slightly less if you go nude (though these are counterable checks, needing above 100 anyway).
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I've just taken a look at the effects of normal BG:EE studded leather armor in NearInfinity, and it doesn't modify any of the thief skills.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2014
    jamoecw said:

elminster said:

jamoecw said:

if you wear armor then you need more than 100 for disarm traps and such.

Unless the armor explicitly says it reduces your ability to find traps/open locks (elven chainmail or hide armor would be examples of this) then this isn't the case. But studded leather for instance wouldn't require you to have over 100.

The armor a thief usually wears hinders him in using his thieving abilities to the maximum, so there are penalties for a thief wearing armor at work:

No armor: pick pockets +5 / move silently +10 / hide in shadows +5

Elven chain: pick pockets -20 / open locks -5 / disarm traps -5 / move silently hide in shadows -10

Leather armor: pick pockets -30 / open locks -10 / disarm traps -10 / move silently & hide in shadows -20

Bards suffer a -25 penalty on pickpocket when wearing regular chain mail.
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/thieves.php
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/armor.php
    as you can see it is in fact not true at all. studded leather has penalties. as no armor has bonuses, this means that you need slightly less if you go nude (though these are counterable checks, needing above 100 anyway).

The people/person who wrote that seems like they checked the game files some of the time but its a really old reference and in some cases they seem like they were looking in the wrong places (perhaps the game manual or pnp reference books I'm not sure). When it came to armor they are correct about elven chainmail, but otherwise they are wrong (including being wrong about a bonus for using no armor).

Another thing that isn't correct (at least for ToB and BG2EE I don't know how it worked in the original BG2) is assassin poison weapon damage. They were looking at the wrong resource there, its actually SPCL423.spl, SPCL422A.eff and SPCL422B.eff that determine that. SPCL422 is usused. The damage you do is 2 points/second for 6 seconds (as well as an additional 1-4 damage if they fail a saving throw) for each hit that you do.

It was also probably written before or around the release of Throne of Bhaal (it says thieves get up to level 23).
  • DauntDaunt Member Posts: 52
    Yay! Awesome to hear about IWD EE. Boo that the GUI is straight from BGII EE though, IWD's brown and wood panels still stick out to me

Still got my original Icewind disc, might have to finish another playthru with some mod help from Pocketplane and Gibberlings3 :)
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Daunt said:

Yay! Awesome to hear about IWD EE. Boo that the GUI is straight from BGII EE though, IWD's brown and wood panels still stick out to me

Still got my original Icewind disc, might have to finish another playthru with some mod help from Pocketplane and Gibberlings3 :)

Out of all of the game cases I still own, that one stands out the most to me. Awesome shot! :)
  • DauntDaunt Member Posts: 52
    Dee said:

Daunt said:

You may want to look a bit closer at the screenshots. the GUI skin has been completely repainted to suit IWD:EE's setting.

Hello there Dee! Not trying to knock Beamdog, just was surprised that the two share the same GUI skin (color/tone aside) -- you are correct that it is repainted to be more suiting to IWD, but still, my sight is perfectly fine and I don't need glasses (yet!) :)

I get that Beamdog would want the GUI of their Enhanced Editions to have a sense of consistency across the board (for aesthetics and for newcomers to the series), though, so I understand. The Inventory and other menu screens retaining that old school IWD feel is a good compromise, at least.

Still though, hard not to miss the original IWD GUI. Just for comparative purposes, here we go

(taken a couple minutes ago with Widescreen mod)

(Inventory looks good at least <3)

Either way is okay, but I'm sure you understand what I meant =)

• Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    edited September 2014
    Is there any work being done on Font scale sizes? Such as an option to increase or decrease to make for easier reading?

The wasteland 2 beta has this option and it makes reading much easier on the eyes.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Hopefully there will be a mod to turn the GUI back to the original. I prefer the stone look.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

Hopefully there will be a mod to turn the GUI back to the original. I prefer the stone look.

I have certainly seem this before :)
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Daunt said:

Dee said:

Daunt said:

You may want to look a bit closer at the screenshots. the GUI skin has been completely repainted to suit IWD:EE's setting.

Hello there Dee! Not trying to knock Beamdog, just was surprised that the two share the same GUI skin (color/tone aside) -- you are correct that it is repainted to be more suiting to IWD, but still, my sight is perfectly fine and I don't need glasses (yet!) :)

I get that Beamdog would want the GUI of their Enhanced Editions to have a sense of consistency across the board (for aesthetics and for newcomers to the series), though, so I understand. The Inventory and other menu screens retaining that old school IWD feel is a good compromise, at least.

Still though, hard not to miss the original IWD GUI. Just for comparative purposes, here we go

(taken a couple minutes ago with Widescreen mod)

(Inventory looks good at least
    The original IWD menu icons are certainly much nicer. I especially like the little splash of colour. I assume the EE background is that way so that it scales better. I would adjust it's tone to be slightly more blue and less green.