Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit www.planescape.com to purchase and check for details.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Best IWD party setup

1910111214

Comments

  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 439
    Right.

    I've completed the game with this party before, so I'd say it works. "Best" is probably pushing it, but I cut a path through Dragons and Demons without much hassle.

    1. Female Human Lawful Good Undead Hunter.
    18/93
    18
    18
    12
    18
    18

    Long Swords
    Throwing Axes

    There are far more undead minions in this game than Mages or other enemy types, so it seemed more logical running with an Undead Hunter than the other Paladin-kits. Or a plain Paladin, for that matter. A little amount of healing is also nice. The quintessential wielder of the Holy Avenger these games seem to have at least one of.

    2. Male Half-Orc Neutral Good Fighter/Cleric.
    19
    18
    19
    10
    18
    10

    Flails at first, eventually the best Hammer/Mace/Flail/Morning Star/Club
    Slings

    The physical stats of the Half-Orc were too good to miss. Also, I've always been partial to multi-classes. The class and race compliments each other nicely. Healing and buff, and a decent frontliner as well. Some swear by using a single-class Cleric for a better spell progression. Well, I obviously don't. This suits me fine.

    Will take a dive in Dexterity if I find the Potion of Holy Transference, but with the great Constitution and Strength score already in place, it's not that big of a deal.

    3. Female Elf Chaotic Good Fighter/Mage/Thief.
    18/29
    19
    17
    18
    18
    9

    Long Swords
    Throwing Daggers

    You'll need a Thief-class. All right, maybe you don't NEED-NEED one, but it sure makes the game easier having one in your party at any rate. And you get a shield for Elves and Half-Elves later on with 25% MR, so it would be a shame not to take advantage of that. Not a great spell progression, but you do get a little to work with. Also, you get a Familiar for a little bonus to HPs.

    A multi-role character, if ever there was one. And you can, gods willing, end up with a Dexterity of 21 from potions and gear with this character and a neat Returning Dagger +4, which has proven rather useful in my previous runs. Couple that with the gloves of Strength for Elves (18/50 Strength or so, the name of which I can't remember), the -1 to Strength you get from the Potion of Strength Transference is negligable.

    4. Male Half-Elf Chaotic Neutral Bard.
    13
    18
    16
    18
    16
    18

    Halberds
    Crossbows

    A supplementary caster, loremaster and occational pickpocket. And the Bard Songs are nice in some situations. Especially at higher levels.

    5. Female Gnome Lawful Neutral Fighter.
    18/84
    18
    18
    12
    16
    11

    Two-handed Swords
    Long Bows

    A Gnome, if nothing else for the groovy helmet designed for Gnomes and Halflings. I suppose I could have made it a Fighter/Cleric and made the Half-Orc the Fighter, but the Wisdom stats were subpar for Gnomes or Halflings. And Halflings get a low Strength score as well. Dwarves get a little Constitution, but a lower Dexterity and also no helmet. Gnomes have balanced physical stats, which is as good as it gets, I suppose.

    There was also the option to make her into a Fighter/Illusionist or something along those lines, but I figured the arcane power in the party was sufficient. And I wanted at least one character able to reach Grandmastery in their weapons.

    6. Male Half-Elf True Neutral Fighter/Druid.
    18/97
    18
    18
    11
    18
    16

    Scimitars/Daggers
    Darts

    For those Nature spells. Also a melee fighter, healer or nuker, if the situation calls for it.

    I've replaced the Bard with a Red Dragon Diciple in other runs before, and it does quite well. You'll have to reorient proficiencies a little, but his tactics with walking into enemies launching Fireballs and having 100% Fire Resistance at the same time were... amusing at times. Plus, I do not need to concern myself with scribing scrolls, giving other arcane casters in the party an edge.

    Not much to say. As with pretty much every party combo, they'll eventually end up destroying everything in their path, if used properly.
    dok0zhivagoCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovmf2112
  • mikklemikkle Member Posts: 37
    Wowo said:

    mikkle said:

    mikkle said:

    Now I'm thinking of trying out:

    1) Fighter/Thief - Half-Orc: (Max Str/Dex/Con, high Int) for juicy back stabs, specializing in hiding in shadows, silent walking and archery from time to time (most of the time fighting in the front line dual wielding short swords/daggers)

    2) Mage/Thief - Elf: (Max Dex and Int, high Char) specializing in traps and opening locks. Mainly learning control spells and AoE spells.

    3) Berserker - Human (Max Str [aiming for 18/00]/Dex/Con, high Wis (roll for will??) 2h sword user, mainly used as a tank and to slice enemies,

    4) Archer - Elf (Max Str and Dex) good bow user is always necessary,

    5) Fighter(6?)/Cleric - Human (Max Str,Dex,Con and Wis, high Char) just pure healer/buffer tailored for front line.

    6) Cleric/Illusionist - (Max Str,Dex,Con,Int, High Wis) jack of all trades, it is more of a fun character. His role will be bringing heavy supply of arcane and divine offensive magic in the front line. Also working as kind of a decoy (mirror images).

    My 2 cents:

    1) I tend to use F/T as a primarily ranged user and backstabber/flanker as a secondary role. You already have a Berseker & F/C so no need to use F/T as a front line tank

    2) A classic :)

    3) My advice: go for axes instead greatswords. IWD has a nice selection of both 1H and 2H axes. And you'll be able to use ranged attacks with a certain returning axe ;)

    4) Death from above. Machine gunner.

    5) I prefer Ranger/Cleric or Fighter/Cleric multi. But since you plan to use your cleric as a pure healer and already have a C/I you could always go with a pure Cleric of Tempus.

    6) Metamagic expert. Takes some time to develop but it is worth it.

    I would also recommend a Bard. Maybe instead of Mage/Thief. You already have the thief skills covered with F/T, scouting with Archer and spells with C/I. And bards also have a few spells up their sleeve.







    Thanks for the suggestions! I agree actually F/T is better Off with a bow I guess, then backstab when necessary.

    I'm not so sure about that bard thing mentioned already. Bards are weak spellcasters despite the fact they level fast, they have pickpocket only and their bard song gives basically the same effect as cleric buffs. Thus I cannot really see how they can be useful. Having M/T instead I have way more thieving skills and more spells, so (F/T can focus on hiding in shadows and silent move).

    Since F/T can be archer I was thinking about leaving archer for something else then maybe.
    Bards are amazing, especially Skalds and the songs stack with cleric buffs and everything else making them among the best buffs available in the game.

    I'd sooner do a party with a bard and a skald than do a party without any bard at all.

    Also there is unique quest experience available to bards, Paladins and Druids so I always include one of each of these in a non-HoF run and in HoF I still have a bard and a druid at least as they are so powerful in IWDee.
    Still kinda meh to me, to buff they cannot attack so they can continue singing the song so that's a limitation. Also, ok you got bard AND skald to stack the buff, why don't you take 2 sorcerers/mages instead to spam control and damage magic (especially later in the game). Bards cannot fight as good as warriors, cannot cast many spells, cannot do any thief stuff apart from pick pockets. If you look at this it's actually a waste of team space (and we have only 6 spots) and has many better ways to substitute, either with better spellcasters, better fighters or better thieves (or adding more healing cohort). I can see the value of this buff since I used it sometimes but to me it gets outweighed by skills other classes can deliver.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,198
    @mikkle Actually you can sing and fight or sing and cast at the same time but it's micro-heavy in a 6man party.

    You need to sing first until the buff appears then you can do something else as the buff lasts for 6 seconds.

    A Bard (or one of its kit) singing and casting a spell at the same time every rounds is such a valuable party member, definitely a must have in a powergaming party to my mind.
    jackjackdok0zhivagoJuliusBorisov
  • mikklemikkle Member Posts: 37
    Gotural said:

    @mikkle Actually you can sing and fight or sing and cast at the same time but it's micro-heavy in a 6man party.

    You need to sing first until the buff appears then you can do something else as the buff lasts for 6 seconds.

    A Bard (or one of its kit) singing and casting a spell at the same time every rounds is such a valuable party member, definitely a must have in a powergaming party to my mind.

    Oh my it sounds like such a pain. Even if the few seconds buff is so worth to sacrifice whole character for it, utilising that properly takes more effort and thinking than casting high level cleric/Mage spells and getting same effect and more
  • mikklemikkle Member Posts: 37
    I meant less thinking* sorry to double post
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 150
    I'm gonna play IWD:EE for the first time, but I don't like large parties. In fact, I'm having a blast soloing BG trilogy with SCS on difficult with a thief/illusionist. So I'd like to keep my party small.

    I have two questions. To see a lot of the side quests and class-specific stuff, this thread recommends a paladin (or kit), a druid (or kit/multi), and a bard.

    1. What's a good first-time party of 4? Or should I just suck it up and do something wild like play 6 all single-classed characters with kits (save for a something/thief)?

    And,

    2. Are wizard slayers also poo here?
    CrevsDaak
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,793
    jtth said:

    I'm gonna play IWD:EE for the first time, but I don't like large parties. In fact, I'm having a blast soloing BG trilogy with SCS on difficult with a thief/illusionist. So I'd like to keep my party small.

    I have two questions. To see a lot of the side quests and class-specific stuff, this thread recommends a paladin (or kit), a druid (or kit/multi), and a bard.

    1. What's a good first-time party of 4? Or should I just suck it up and do something wild like play 6 all single-classed characters with kits (save for a something/thief)?

    And,

    2. Are wizard slayers also poo here?

    You could use the suggested paladin, druid, bard, and round it out with a cleric/thief or dual a thief over to cleric after 6th level and cover everything you need.

    You won't run into many wizards here. Don't bother.
    SkatanCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 150
    edited May 2016
    mf2112 said:

    jtth said:

    I'm gonna play IWD:EE for the first time, but I don't like large parties. In fact, I'm having a blast soloing BG trilogy with SCS on difficult with a thief/illusionist. So I'd like to keep my party small.

    I have two questions. To see a lot of the side quests and class-specific stuff, this thread recommends a paladin (or kit), a druid (or kit/multi), and a bard.

    1. What's a good first-time party of 4? Or should I just suck it up and do something wild like play 6 all single-classed characters with kits (save for a something/thief)?

    And,

    2. Are wizard slayers also poo here?

    You could use the suggested paladin, druid, bard, and round it out with a cleric/thief or dual a thief over to cleric after 6th level and cover everything you need.

    You won't run into many wizards here. Don't bother.
    Really? even without a mage? Seems bonkers coming from BG, but that would certainly be interesting. Would you make some of those multi-classes? I hear fighters are important.
    CrevsDaak
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,793
    edited May 2016
    jtth said:

    mf2112 said:

    jtth said:

    I'm gonna play IWD:EE for the first time, but I don't like large parties. In fact, I'm having a blast soloing BG trilogy with SCS on difficult with a thief/illusionist. So I'd like to keep my party small.

    I have two questions. To see a lot of the side quests and class-specific stuff, this thread recommends a paladin (or kit), a druid (or kit/multi), and a bard.

    1. What's a good first-time party of 4? Or should I just suck it up and do something wild like play 6 all single-classed characters with kits (save for a something/thief)?

    And,

    2. Are wizard slayers also poo here?

    You could use the suggested paladin, druid, bard, and round it out with a cleric/thief or dual a thief over to cleric after 6th level and cover everything you need.

    You won't run into many wizards here. Don't bother.
    Really? even without a mage? Seems bonkers coming from BG, but that would certainly be interesting. Would you make some of those multi-classes? I hear fighters are important.
    I would always have a mage myself, but you mentioned a smaller party. :) Your bard can cast mage spells pretty effectively, especially level based spells. With Strength, Stoneskin, Mirror Image, Blur, they can tank okay too. The druid will be able to tank decently with the werewolf and greater werewolf forms combined with the iron skins spell. I don't like multiclassing druids, it takes too damn long to get those extra 7th level spells.
    dok0zhivagoCrevsDaakjtthJuliusBorisov
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,793
    edited May 2016
    With the druid you could even think about dropping the cleric altogether and having a mage/thief instead because you can get more than enough healing from the bard using the war chant of the sith. Lots of other bonuses too during combat. :D Actually best to play thief up to level 6 or so to max out open locks and find traps then dual to mage.
    CrevsDaak
  • inethineth Member Posts: 442
    mf2112 said:

    you can get more than enough healing from the bard using the war chant of the sith.

    You'll only get access to War Chant of the Sith pretty late in the game, after the hardest dungeons are already completed.

    If you are trying to optimize end-game power, it could be an option, but for newbies trying to play the game for the first time, dropping the Cleric is not good advise IMO.
    dok0zhivagoCrevsDaakjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • dok0zhivagodok0zhivago Member Posts: 78
    One could go with full druid and multi cleric combo, or the other way around with fighter/druid & full class cleric.
    As for arcane spellpower, Bard + Avenger can substitute a mage.
    Other option for more healing and buffing spells is to dual thief to cleric after level 6. Swashbuckler would be a good candidate.
    But I agree with @ineth , dropping cleric is not advisable.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,793
    ineth said:

    mf2112 said:

    you can get more than enough healing from the bard using the war chant of the sith.

    You'll only get access to War Chant of the Sith pretty late in the game, after the hardest dungeons are already completed.

    If you are trying to optimize end-game power, it could be an option, but for newbies trying to play the game for the first time, dropping the Cleric is not good advise IMO.
    I think the bard would need to get to 13th level for that song, but it didn't take me that long last time since bards level up pretty quickly. I know what you mean though, personally I run with a party of 5-6 so I would always have a cleric or two but the OP was looking for a smaller party and I think this would be do-able with smart usage of healing potions and the druid to heal. It would depend on the difficulty setting a great deal as well, normal or core would be a lot easier than hard or insane obviously.
    CrevsDaak
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 150
    mf2112 said:

    With the druid you could even think about dropping the cleric altogether and having a mage/thief instead because you can get more than enough healing from the bard using the war chant of the sith. Lots of other bonuses too during combat. :D Actually best to play thief up to level 6 or so to max out open locks and find traps then dual to mage.

    That's what I'm doing, through now I'm not sure whether to go cleric or mage... I kind of like the idea of a playthrough with no arcane, but I'm not sure how handicapping that'll be, given the seemingly large amount of weak mobs and the few AoE damage spells clerics and druids have compared to mages. Though the bard is acting as a kind of mage, I suppose.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 442
    @jtth: See here for builds that can deal with trash mobs effectively.
    jtthmf2112
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,055
    What about going Thief->Mage or Mage/Thief? I believe that a Paladin and a Druid can provide enough healing for the party with a Thief/Mage and a Bard.

    You could also make the Druid a Berserker->Druid which is probably one of the most powerful dual-classess of the game, and then a Thief/Cleric.
    jackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,247
    I'm too weak-willed to run through IWD without a Cleric.
    dok0zhivagomf2112CrevsDaak
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,085
    edited June 2016

    This is the party that I'm currently running through IWD with, which I'm really quite pleased with. My intention was to create a party that was versatile and efficient, but without simply min/maxing the stats so that the party members wouldn't look out-of-place in comparison with BG1's NPCs (since I basically view IWD as a prequel to BG1).

    This is my party leader, an elven ranger with 19 dext:



    She's probably the most versatile warrior of the group - she can scout/stealth ahead to reveal ambushes, she's an expert markswoman, she can handle herself in melee, and (upon reaching level 6) she has a limited ability to cast druid spells. Although her strength isn't particularly high, it's just high enough to allow her to use composite bows and wear most armor. She also gets a racial enemy bonus against giants.


    A half-orc barbarian with 19 str, dual wielding short swords:



    Combining incredible str AND speed, she's able to "rush" enemies and (thanks to the low speed factor of short swords) chunk them to pieces before they even have a chance to react. Her barbarian rage gives her extra chunking ability as well as immunity to certain spells that are often encountered in IWD.


    A berserker with 18/99 str, 17 con:



    A heavy damage-dealing flanker, also providing some extra artillery fire with a crossbow (even though he has low dext, there are a number of crossbows in IWD that give substantial THAC0 bonuses).


    A dwarven Priest of Tempus:



    The party's main cleric/healer, he also doubles as a tank.


    A gnomish cleric/thief:



    The party's thief, and backup cleric/healer.


    A mage:



    I chose a vanilla mage so that she could have access to any spell.

    Post edited by SharGuidesMyHand on
    mf2112CrevsDaakdok0zhivagoJuliusBorisov
  • ReiRei Member Posts: 63
    I'm a few hours into IWDEE with a four man party on Insane and... let's just say I'm thinking of adjusting things a little and starting over.

    I'm curious about Archers. No one seems to mention them here. Are they as mediocre in IWD as BG2? With all these narrow corridors I'm thinking a dedicated Archer might be really useful.

    How about proficiencies for a Fighter/Druid? Quarterstaves or Spears? I'm thinking a longer range two handed weapon could be handy if I'm running an Undead Hunter (Long Sword and Shield) and Berserker(9)-Cleric (Flail/Morning Star and Shield) as tanks.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 3,568
    Archers are extremely powerful in IWD, as they are in BG1/SoD.

    They only loose out in BG2 because so many enemies are immune.
    dok0zhivagojackjackCrevsDaak
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,247
    Yeah, they very nearly break the game.
    CrevsDaak
  • dok0zhivagodok0zhivago Member Posts: 78
    @Rei
    For Fighter/Druids I would concentrate on slings and clubs. You'll find a few nice scimitars as well.
    CrevsDaak
  • Daeros_TrollkillerDaeros_Trollkiller Member Posts: 12
    Dont know if its best, but its fun for me and gets damned strong later on:

    Blackguard - The setting of IWD is very fitting for one, and their abilities make some of the harder battles much more palatable, especially if you are playing in the harder modes.

    Beserker - nothing like a big, bad orc dual weilding some axes and morningstars. The beserk helps in tricky battles as well.

    Skald - one amazing bard kit, awesome for just the bard song, and can be made into a competent caster. Also great for identifying loot on the fly without having to screw with spells.

    Priest of Tempus - the group buff is really nice, better than the other cleric specialists, IMO. Stacks with the bard song.

    Assassin or Bounty Hunter - interchangable. The BH traps are great for softening up tough battles.

    Sorceror :Dragon Disciple - Dragon breath is fun, and the other bonuses make up for initial lack of spells. dont have to split scrolls between himself and the bard.


    That's my favorit build.

    CrevsDaak
  • MeandreMeandre Member Posts: 12
    Rei said:

    [...]
    I'm curious about Archers. No one seems to mention them here. Are they as mediocre in IWD as BG2? With all these narrow corridors I'm thinking a dedicated Archer might be really useful.

    [...]

    I've completed the game with 4 archers, a clerif/thief and a skald.
    It was...not very challenging. The archers would usually turn any enemy into a pincushion before they would reach the party. The skald's song and cleric's buffs made the archers' attacks even more powerful.
    Casting web, grease (skald) and entangle (archers) to immobilize enemy groups was also a strategy I sometimes put to good use.

    Really, the only difficulty this party faced were enemies that could only be hurt by +2 weapons - there are simply not that many arrows +2 in the game.
    CrevsDaak
  • AronAron Member Posts: 40
    Hey guys.
    I have just started IWD EE for the Nth time. Finally i think i have the setup that im happy with.

    Paladin Cavalier (party leader)
    Fighter Cleric (dwarf)
    Bard (half elf)
    Cleric (human)
    Rogue (Dual class to mage after Level 6)
    Wizard.

    I hope i have enough tanks to manage through this, but i can make the cleric also tank if it turns needed.

    Only just arrived in Kuldahar. Vale of Shadows next :)
    mf2112CrevsDaak
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,058
    Aron said:

    Hey guys.
    I have just started IWD EE for the Nth time. Finally i think i have the setup that im happy with.

    Paladin Cavalier (party leader)
    Fighter Cleric (dwarf)
    Bard (half elf)
    Cleric (human)
    Rogue (Dual class to mage after Level 6)
    Wizard.

    I hope i have enough tanks to manage through this, but i can make the cleric also tank if it turns needed.

    Only just arrived in Kuldahar. Vale of Shadows next :)

    I'd always have a Druid if possible.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,055
    Wowo said:

    Aron said:

    Hey guys.
    I have just started IWD EE for the Nth time. Finally i think i have the setup that im happy with.

    Paladin Cavalier (party leader)
    Fighter Cleric (dwarf)
    Bard (half elf)
    Cleric (human)
    Rogue (Dual class to mage after Level 6)
    Wizard.

    I hope i have enough tanks to manage through this, but i can make the cleric also tank if it turns needed.

    Only just arrived in Kuldahar. Vale of Shadows next :)

    I'd always have a Druid if possible.
    Well, you can swap the single-class Cleric for a Druid without any problems I'd guess, and it'll still be a solid setup (although I find it more suitable for BG than for IwD I think it's still good).
Sign In or Register to comment.