Skip to content

Best IWD party setup

Comments

• KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Fardragon said:

Klorox said:

Fardragon said:

It's worth noting that the Easthaven townsfolk have something unique for each race, but you only grt it the first time you speak to them, so you have to find a different townsperson for each race in your party.

Interesting. Can you elaborate?
    You can talk someone into giving you thier life savings if you are the right race.
    Can you elaborate?
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    CrevsDaak said:

RAM021 said:

CrevsDaak said:

Nimran‌ that would more like stealing :p from them.

Ferrets are people too!!!!!!
    ... But just slightly polymorphed, right? Or are they wereferrets?

Edit: I think this has gone enough off-topic. Let's all try not to talk about ferrets (unless you plan about having one as a familiar in IWD:EE).
    Oh, I plan to. The Dale shall learn to respect the power of Stoat the Ferret Lord.
  • oldlamehandoldlamehand Member Posts: 39
    edited November 2014
    I played icewind dále many years ago and didn't finish it, so I don't remember many locations. Now, I'm playing enhanced edition on insane difficulty level. Selection of my party wasn't based on notable items. It was based on my experience from BG and BG2.
    1)Human Cavalier: Main tank
    2)Half-elf Fighter/Cleric
    3)Elf Archer
    4)Halfling fighter/thief
    5)Half-elf fighter/mage
    6)Elf sorceres

All of my characters except the cavalier are using mainly ranged weapons switching to melee when openents get close to them, or when I need to kill something with imunity to non-magical weapons and don't want to waste magical ammo in easy combats. Now I have finished Severed Hand and hadn't serious problém so far.
    The hardest part has been the level in dragon Eye with many trolls and spiders. It required several reloads. From that moment everything is going on smoothly. However Dragon Eye was quite boring, because it is long dungeon with many repetitive fights.

My archer is ultimate killer with more than 30% of total partys' kills. Fighter/mage was a little fragile at the beginning, but now he is almost immortal with mirror image and stone skin. The situation with sorcerer was easier, because I could pick the spells as soon as she reached required level. In some situations she is the best tank in the party. :-)
    In many combats with large groups af enemies, sorcerer and fighter/mage act as heavy artilery with fireballs. I think, my arcane spellcasters are doing more demage than Archer, but he is collecting many kills finishing wounded enemies with single arrow.
    Post edited by oldlamehand on
  • HokkaidoHokkaido Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2014
    amk320 said:

After about a dozen party rerolls, I've settled on the following:

Blackguard
    Priest of Tempus
    Skald
    Berserker (dual to Druid @ 7)
    Archer
    Mage/Thief

I really like the synergy between Aura of Despair + Chaos of Battle + Skald song. (debuff all enemies + buff all allies).

It also has all the bases covered. Cleric spells, druid spells, arcane spells, thief skills, etc. (And I think takes advantage of all the dialogue options with bard, druid, ranger, and the new stuff for the priest of tempus and blackguard.)

Sounds Nice! i think i will try this myself with an evil party
    Do you need Neutral aligment for duoclass into Druid ?

And why a Elven Archer cant be evil ?
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    Druids need to be True Neutral, including dual classes.
    Rangers (Archers) can only be Good alligned.
  • AndrewKellyAndrewKelly Member Posts: 16
    Yeah, it's working pretty well. The Blackguard aura debuffs everything, the Skald buffs everything, and the Priest of Tempus both debuffs and buffs everything.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Is this party alright if I wanted to play IwD:EE for the first time *and* with HoF enabled (I know about the game's mechanics a lot (long-time hardcore BG player)… I just haven't played the game yet).
    Gnome Berkserker
    Gnome Illusionist/Cleric
    Halfling Fighter/Thief
    Gnome Fighter/Illusionist
    Gnome Cleric/Thief
    Dwarf Bard
    Reasons: I've heard Necromancy spells suck, I want to RP a party of Gnomes with a Dwarf and a Halfling, I don't care about slow level up (since I plan in playing with HoF enabled) and I'd rather take a vanilla Bard than a Skald since they are much better in IwD:EE.
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    @CrevsDaak, just want to make sure that you are aware IWDEE goes bit differently about opposite schools. Most of schools have 2 and for Illusion they are Necromancy and Abjuration.
    Apart from that, party looks pretty good.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014
    This is not at all the best party setup, but I'm still playing it at the moment all the same. :)

Shapeshifter (half-elf)
    Dwarven Defender (gnome!...nah obviously he's a dwarf :p )
    Fighter/Mage (elf)
    Shadowdancer (halfling)
    Priest of Talos (elf)
    Dragon Disciple (human).

In my experience so far I'd say that the Dragon Disciple does 90% of the work in most fights just by casting Slow/Glitterdust. Pretty much guarantees a grusome death to my enemies :D
  • billygreatbillygreat Member Posts: 66
    edited November 2014
    Second run , hof mode from lvl 1

Cavalier
    Dwarven Defender
    Ranger/Cleric ( half elf)
    Archer (elf)
    Fighter/thief ( halfling)
    Bard ( half elf)

The Archer is the rock star of this party, over 30% of the kills.
    Post edited by billygreat on
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    CrevsDaak said:

Is this party alright if I wanted to play IwD:EE for the first time *and* with HoF enabled (I know about the game's mechanics a lot (long-time hardcore BG player)… I just haven't played the game yet).
    Gnome Berkserker
    Gnome Illusionist/Cleric
    Halfling Fighter/Thief
    Gnome Fighter/Illusionist
    Gnome Cleric/Thief
    Dwarf Bard
    Reasons: I've heard Necromancy spells suck, I want to RP a party of Gnomes with a Dwarf and a Halfling, I don't care about slow level up (since I plan in playing with HoF enabled) and I'd rather take a vanilla Bard than a Skald since they are much better in IwD:EE.

I do not think this would be a fun party to start level 1 in HoF. On insane yes, sure. On HoF the lack of party damage would eventually just make the whole experience tedious and boring.

I just got wail of the banshee and my wizard with project image can drop that 3 times every fight which is amazing for thinning out the herds of enemies with 300+HP.
  • maneromanero Member Posts: 392
    First line:
    Human - Undead hunter (dual wielding Pale of Justice and Long sword of action+4)
    Dwarf - Dwarven defender (axe/hammer depend of enemy, shield)

Second line:
    Elf - Archer

Support:
    Half Elf - Bard
    Gnome - Ilusionist/Thief
    Human - Cleric of Lathander

• PetrolPetrol Member Posts: 34
    My 1rst party :
    - dwarven defender (dwarf)
    - berzerker with two weapon (half/orc)
    - cavalier with two handed weapon (human)
    - fighter / thief with a crossbow, fighter for the thac0, thief for the thieves skill (halfling)
    - mage / cleric with a sling (half elf)
    - archer with longbow (elf)

I have each of the race, all the weapon styles, and all ranged weapons

A really nasty party, too easy to play, even in HoF mode.
    Great to discover the game but not very fun to play, the party is too powerfull
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    I'm considering this party:
    - dwarf DD
    - half-elf fighter/druid
    - gnome fighter/thief
    - elf archer
    - half-elf bard
    - half-elf cleric of Lathander

Would the lack of a mage be an issue?
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    @Koson, no, Bard will be enough to cover Arcane and then you still have 2 Divine casters.
    @koson difficulty? Willingness to cheese? Meta knowledge?

the party looks very solid for a normal playthrough. If you're worried you could change the fighter/thief to an elf fighter/Mage/thief to get a few extra spell slots to cast those handy buffs and a few disables.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I agree a FMT is a lot better than FT. Fighters and thieves don't add much in higher levels.
    edited November 2014
    @Wowo I spent some time playing the original IWD when it came out and this party is based on the one I used the most back then (F; F/D; F/T; R; B; M) so I have a bit of knowledge. Cheese? Hmm, guess a slice now and then won't hurt :). I'll do a normal playthrough first and move to HoF afterwards.

Your suggestion of replacing the F/T with a F/M/T is something I've been considering, but won't he lag behind in levels compared with the rest? Also, how high would characters level? Is it possible to reach HLAs? Use any item on a F/T and dw Pale Justice with a Longsword of Action is tempting :).
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Koson There are no HLAs. Anyway, the level difference between FT and FMT is a lot smaller than people tend to think.
    OK thank you.
  • AureolAureol Member Posts: 53
    I finished this game last night for the first time with the following party:

Paladin - Main tank with lots of strength and constitution.
    Fighter/Cleric - If I could do it over again, I would've gone with pure Cleric, but he was useful nonetheless. Made a great secondary tank and secondary spellcaster.
    Druid - She was superb at first, but I got lazy and used her for mostly summons and healings later. Had I not been lazy, she could have easily been the star I think.
    Mage/Thief - A surprisingly good character; I thought she would be too poor at being a mage, but she did quite well. She did not get enough XP by the end of the game to get some nice high-levelled spells, but she did what was needed, and she did it darn well (haste especially).

4 characters was enough for me; I even considered going smaller, but I couldn't think of any roles I wanted to do without.

Usually, my strategy for most "boss" fights was Haste + Righteous Wrath of the Faithful to bash enemies to death instantly. My druid was the one usually targeted by mobs, so she would distract them while the rest nuked the boss. It was effective all the way through Belhifet (haven't done the expansion yet).
    Aureol said:

I finished this game last night for the first time with the following party:

Paladin - Main tank with lots of strength and constitution.
    Fighter/Cleric - If I could do it over again, I would've gone with pure Cleric, but he was useful nonetheless. Made a great secondary tank and secondary spellcaster.
    Druid - She was superb at first, but I got lazy and used her for mostly summons and healings later. Had I not been lazy, she could have easily been the star I think.
    Mage/Thief - A surprisingly good character; I thought she would be too poor at being a mage, but she did quite well. She did not get enough XP by the end of the game to get some nice high-levelled spells, but she did what was needed, and she did it darn well (haste especially).

4 characters was enough for me; I even considered going smaller, but I couldn't think of any roles I wanted to do without.

Usually, my strategy for most "boss" fights was Haste + Righteous Wrath of the Faithful to bash enemies to death instantly. My druid was the one usually targeted by mobs, so she would distract them while the rest nuked the boss. It was effective all the way through Belhifet (haven't done the expansion yet).

No kits?

Probably the easy fix for your experience would have been to trade in dual class characters.
    Paladin
    Berserker 7->Cleric
    Druid
    Swashbuckler 5->Mage

In this scenario could drop the Paladin if you went Kensei 9->Druid though the beginning of the game would have been a bit tricky.
  • IxilIxil Member Posts: 8
    Heyall!!

Currently playing BGEE with a Neutral Evil Elf Fighter/Mage (planning on playing BG2EE with the same char), but after I finish playing it, next in line is IWDEE...

Now, I've thought a party up, but got too many char, so some feedback would be appreciated...

On the table, I have 8 characters, I'll have to dump 2 of them:
    Human Paladin Undead Hunter
    Dwarf Fighter/Cleric of Tempus (kit through EE Keeper)
    Half-Elf Bard Blade
    Elf Ranger Archer
    Half-Elf Ranger (undead enemy) Stalker/Thief (if multiclass is possible, kit through EE Keeper)
    Gnome Thief/Illusionist
    Elf Druid Avenger
    Elf Sorceror Dragon Disciple

I'd really like to try out the Stalker kit and the Archer Kit...

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!!!!
    Wow!!! Thanks for the feedback!!

Now, you got me wondering how to use said helm with a gnome or halfling...
    Ixil said:

Solid party there.

I'd suggest though as your sixth slot to take a fighter/Mage/thief. Only having the one arcane caster (your bard) isn't a big deal but it'll certainly help to have another who can throw out some buffs or debuffs.

For your cleric I'd generally recommend either a Priest of Lathander or a multi or dual Fighter/Cleric for the additional attacks per round. PoL can help immensely against undead of which there are huge amounts.
    Wowo said:

Ixil said:

Solid party there.

I'd suggest though as your sixth slot to take a fighter/Mage/thief. Only having the one arcane caster (your bard) isn't a big deal but it'll certainly help to have another who can throw out some buffs or debuffs.

For your cleric I'd generally recommend either a Priest of Lathander or a multi or dual Fighter/Cleric for the additional attacks per round. PoL can help immensely against undead of which there are huge amounts.
    And again, thanks for the info! ;-)