Skip to content

What kind of computer graphics do you prefer in cRPGs?

SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
edited August 2014 in Off-Topic
I'm interested, what type of graphics/art do you prefer in RPG games. Of course, there's the modern "realistic/3D rendered" approach and there's the old-school "art/comic" style approach.
Now, in RPGs, we are more inclined to tolerate unrealistic movement/graphics style or sketchy-artsy graphics..but how much?
What is your preferred graphic style?

1) 3D rendered style, even when the realism and overall atmosphere come short. Very good looking games like Skyrim aren't really the case, but some others are (see example of a very botched game below)

2) hand-drawn art/comic-style 3D render, but the player has to accept lower level of "realism". These games usually use 2D sprites or less flashy/moving backgrounds and focus on drawn art on interface/sprites...

A comparing of games and some examples are in the spoiler below:

Examples of games (type):
1) Skyrim, Realms of Arkania remastered (see below), Dungeon Siege, System Shock, Shadowrun, new HOMAM games...
2) Might and Magic X, BG/IWD i guess, The Banner Saga, lots of old games...

Some of them could be in both of course, like the below-mentioned Drakensang, which is mostly rendered, but overlay-ed with lots of hand-drawn graphics.

Pretty bad example I patched together in the spoiler (with a picture)

Old Realms of Arkania games got remastered last year with pretty badly looking 3D graphics. Few years earlier, another developer has created their own off-spin Drakensang which looks much better, but the old games are still attractive in this regard.
Higher ress - http://i.imgur.com/nponK9h.jpg

Please express your preference and/or add details of art style that you like.
Thanks.
  1. What kind of computer graphics do you prefer in cRPGs?29 votes
    1. I prefer 3D rendered graphics
      17.24%
    2. I prefer hand-drawn art and/or slightly comicky-style
      48.28%
    3. Other (please speak your opinion) / I just want to see the results
      34.48%

Comments

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited August 2014
    I admit, this is a bit fueled by my disappointment with the RoA remaster, where the incompetent devs butchered a very good old franchise. I really tried to like that game, but failed.
    I would like to know, why some devs go for ugly 3D-rendered engines even if they look bad, clunky and the figure movement looks terrible.

Also - I like the BGEE cinematics much more than the old rendered ones.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Honestly, it depends on the game. Hand drawn graphics simply wouldn't make sense on a fps, and bg would be dumb if it was in. 3d(especially if they tried that in '98) so I'm ok with both, especially since 3d rendering is constantly improving. (Some)Games from just a few years ago that looked fine then would be a joke now.
    But personally graphics aren't high on my list of what I look for in a game, so whatever.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    It has to look and feel like Baldur's Gate, Fallout 1 & 2, or Jagged Alliance 2 or I just lose interest.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I want to finally see true virtual reality cRPG games on the market with touch and smell simulation! Needless to say I don't talk about Nintendo's Virtual Boy here. D:

On a less sci-fi note I'm fond of a healthy mix between 1D, 2D, 3D and 4D.

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Realistic 3D.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Rendered graphics, otherwise you're limited in how much you can customise your avatar. With 3d renders, you can customise him/her the way you want to, but with a sprite, you're limited to how the designers have created it. Same with portraits...if you can't find one that accurately represents your character, you have to find one online, or make do with what you have got. With a 3d rendered portrait, your character will look exactly as you've designed him to (and in DA:O, you can even change his pose!)

Let's be honest, most of the avatari for the IE games were horrible! Male fighters had to wear a short skirt and a sleeveless doublet that doesn't fit them, and female fighters had to wear some weird leotard style thing. We generally came to accept them as part of the game, but I'm not going to pretend they were good. :-P
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited August 2014
    Squire said:

Same with portraits...if you can't find one that accurately represents your character, you have to find one online, or make do with what you have got.

I would argue that portrait offer greater customization, more realism, and improve immersion with a little effort, but I guess that depends on how much work your willing to put into it.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited August 2014
    While the graphics aren't irrelevant they become less and less important the better the story and gameplay is. It's not an opinion I hold exclusive to RPGs, it goes for any genre really. So I don't have a preference, but I often dislike very "cartoony" graphics, Torchlight as an example. Even cartoony can be saved by solid gameplay though, I love the cel-shaded XIII, Borderlands and Jet Set Radio for instance.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited August 2014
    Realy depends on how the art looks in general. I mean i still love some c64 stuff and good looking pixel art like monkey island. So i could easily play a pixelated RPG in 2d or 3d when the art itself speaks to me.

But in modern time. The witcher 1, TOEE and IWD i would say as a guide.
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    edited September 2014
    A very large library of hand-drawn graphics to get lost into , while playing the game and while thinking about the arguments they had with their bosses over the salary and art , especially salary... Adds spice a little.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I just love good old games and can't omit hand-drawn art. Even in 20 years time I think I'll play cRPGs with those graphics.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I like both.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I don't care about the graphics while the game isn't a 3D like KotOR or those lots of console games. They bug me out. I enjoy 2D games with 3D graphics (BG, PS:T, IWD, etc) a lot, since they aren't actually 3D, but anyway I can't handle bad rendered animations, and I also like hand-drawn animations, too.

Still, my favorite type of graphics are ASCII graphics, specially when they are limited to the original ANSI characters. They leave a good place for the player's imagination and huge text descriptions.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited September 2014
    As long as it's playable, I'm happy, although what Skullgirls has is certainly a cool style for two-dimensional games.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited September 2014
    I will say that 2D ages FAR better than 3D.
    Look at games like Chrono Trigger and BG and then at Morrowind, NwN1 or whatever.

But, depending on the game and what you want to achieve, you have to choose one or the other.

I don't have an issue with one or the other, but I would rather play an old 2D game than an old 3D game.
    Old 2D games still look beautiful today. While old 3D games make my eyes hurt and I usually have to install model/texture packs.

I can play Genesis/SNES/GBA games just fine but please don't make me play some early Playstation/3D PC games.
    And I am a blasphemer here for some, but damn some DOS RPGs look AWFUL. Incredibly pixelated and clunky-looking.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Southpaw said:

I

2) hand-drawn art/comic-style 3D render, but the player has to accept lower level of "realism".

I disagree with this actually.

The way I see it, games with today's technology will never look exactly like real life. They will just look like cheap imitations. The little details that differentiate a 3D character from a real person will just be highlighted by the fact that they are "almost real". For example, NWN2 attempted to do this but your character just ends up looking like a wide eyed idiot with his mouth open... 24/7! Close your mouth dude, you look like an idiot!

The only way I've seen this problem circumvented is by making a more "cartoony" 2D animated game. By creating something else entirely, the characters do not look incongruous with what you would expect. For example:
    When I play Baldur's Gate I expect to see characters in a two dimensional plane looking like people walking across an oil painting... and that is what I get.
    When see someone play a game like Dragon Age I expect to see something that looks like real life... except what I end up seeing is this

Art isn't always about imitating reality... it can be about creating a new reality.

I think of it like Impressionism: recreating visual sensations without trying to duplicate reality. We intuitively *know* (Dak'kon voice) what things are supposed to look like, you don't need to spell it all out for us.
    @booinyoureyes‌ - I agree, the games will never be really realistic, but compare for example Skyrim with a very good graphics (not realistic, but quite plausible) with some other games ... where figures look like they were mauled together by a bear.
    From a Play-doh.
    Brown one only.

That's what I meant by the hand-draw art style - to make it a bit more cartoony.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I prefer 3D layers from NWN1 , rather than the barbie look alikes from NWN2.

My idea of perfect graphics would be an extremely high definition Baldur's Gate.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I think perfect might be hand drawn environments with high quality 3d models for creatures and objects. However, the advantage of the simple environment models of e.g. NWN was easy moddability.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607

Realistic 3D.

Now that I have two graphics cards, I prefer nothing but the best.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Look. A certain look and feel can be created with 3d. But it is always towards reality. Or making a fantasy setting more realistic.

However, if you want true fantasy, unencumbered by the limitations of a dimensional universe it has to be drawn by an artist (not necessarily with a pen or in a comic style) with a creative, mistake addled, stressed, loved, loathed brain behind it.

Shaun Tan is a favourite of mine...

That looks great Anduin.