Skip to content

General questions. IWD for newbies and semiprofs

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    No. You get taken... Then you need to complete the tasks in hand to get back.
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    Yes, until you go to Gloomfrost, that is the point of no return ...
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Is it intended behavior for the Lyre of Progression to negate single weapon style? Right now, if you carry the lyre in your left arm, the game treats it like a shield and doesn't apply the SWS AC bonus.
  • AnnarothAnnaroth Member Posts: 3
    On which lvl I can get a second class? I am stuck with "shadows" at Kuldahar, my warriors cant hit this beast! What is the level requirment to take first second class?
    ^You can't hit the shadows with normal weapons. They need to be magical to do any damage ...
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    Annaroth said:

On which lvl I can get a second class? I am stuck with "shadows" at Kuldahar, my warriors cant hit this beast! What is the level requirment to take first second class?

I think you need a +2 weapon to hit it or low lv damaging spells
    +1 will do : )
    As long as it is magic
    edited April 2015
    Okay, Ive done that with spells. Thanks

So when I choose the second class? The game seems kinda bugged to me. My song is not working at all, heroe is doign his animation but no light effect nor bonus after. Also I cant go multi class option. The button is just stays grey and unclickable : (
    Post edited by Annaroth on
  • SorrowSeerSorrowSeer Member Posts: 144
    Hi.

I.In non-EE IWD bards' songs stacked.
    (for example, 6 bards can sing 6 "War Chant of the Sith" in a moment, which were giving them +12 to AC (bonus), etc.)
    And how about bards' songs in EE-version?
    (and different bards' kits and their songs in correlation with original bard, for example)

II. In G3's "Icewind Dale Tweak Pack" a component "Friendly Random Drops" is saving for us great ammounts of time (and nerves).
    Is there anything similar to it for IWD:EE?
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    Annaroth said:

So when I choose the second class? The game seems kinda bugged to me. My song is not working at all, heroe is doign his animation but no light effect nor bonus after. Also I cant go multi class option. The button is just stays grey and unclickable : (

Since you mention your song not working, if you're playing a bard I have bad news for you. They cannot dual-class.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @SorrowSeer In IWDEE bards' songs of the same kind do not stack.

So if you have 2 bards singing the War Chant of the Sith, they won't stack.

Different songs will stack, though. Check this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36570/bard-modification

As for the Icewind Dale Tweak Pack, I'd summon one of its authors, @CamDawg
    bengoshi said:

@SorrowSeer In IWDEE bards' songs of the same kind do not stack.

So if you have 2 bards singing the War Chant of the Sith, they won't stack.

Different songs will stack, though. Check this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36570/bard-modification

As for the Icewind Dale Tweak Pack, I'd summon one of its authors, @CamDawg

Thank you!
    Greetings to everyone!
    Again.

Is there any information on upgradable items in IWD:EE?
    (a list, perhaps?)
    Sjerrie said:

Annaroth said:

Since you mention your song not working, if you're playing a bard I have bad news for you. They cannot dual-class.

Okay I can dael with that as long as my song goes back on track. So where is the problem? He was playing it for first 3 lvls then he lost all his notes... As I said he is just doing all the gesticualtion but thats all, no effect, no buff. Seems like bugged to me. Or I am missing something?
  • NakaraiNakarai Member Posts: 2
    I think this is the right place to ask, so instead of starting a new thread I'll ask here.. I'm using EE, but I'm not sure what the differences are.

So I was interested in rolling a Ranger / Cleric, or a Ranger dual classed into Cleric. The Beastmaster seems like it would be really interesting for these purposes. I was just wondering what experienced Icewind Dale players think of the combination, and the best way to pull it off. From what I can tell you need level 12 for all the Beastmaster bonuses (level 3 animal summons, more druid spells?) but I'm fairly certain that Clerics get the same animal summoning spells, so unless its an ability for the Beastmaster, I think a lower level Beastmaster might be better. I would assume that this would be an off tank/ melee character, so for weapon choices would dual maces, clubs, etc or a quarterstaff be better? They also get summon familiar so what alignment would give a good familiar for this guy?

From what I can tell the Beastmaster is from the enhanced edition? So its annoying to find information on it. Thank you for any answers.
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    edited April 2015
    Level 12 Ranger + 13 Cleric dual is practically end game for IWD (and that's with HoW and ToTL thrown in) so you're not going to get much use out of that. Doesn't help that you're stuck with a single class lower level Cleric for a million XP.

If you're playing HoF where you might actually get some significant use out of that combination, summons that don't do anything special are all just HP walls. Clerics already get Animate Dead at Level 3, so there's no point gunning for something like Animal Summoning III. And it's not like Animate Dead isn't good enough tanking early on even outside of HoF.

Familiars are pretty meh, they're 6 HP for 1 Inventory slot. The risk of losing 1 CON for a minute amount of damage is just not worth bringing them out. You might get some use out of them with Thief skills, but the good-aligned Familiars don't have any.

If you want to get real use out of a dual, turn on the option that lets Clerics/Rangers learn Druid spells the same time they learn Cleric spells. Then dual class a Ranger (not Beastmaster, because the important summons are high level Druid summons. As I said, Animate Dead is sufficient enough) at Level 7 (or earlier if you don't care for the extra .5 APR)

That way you get access to Druid spells much earlier, and get Creeping Doom quicker too.

If not just stick to a multi because you're not going to see much use out of Druid spells given how late they come to a Ranger.
  • NakaraiNakarai Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the indepth reply!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

Greetings to everyone!
    Again.

Is there any information on upgradable items in IWD:EE?
    (a list, perhaps?)

@SorrowSeer and @duffkitty :

There hasn't been any "list" anywhere, so I tried to gather everything about this subject.

According to @CamDawg here (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/567863/#Comment_567863) IWDEE fully incorporates the mod known as "Item Upgrade"

According to the description of the mod, http://www.gibberlings3.net/iu_iwd/spoilers1.php, the following items can be upgraded:

Girdle of Gond
    Stoutward
    Winter Wolf Pelts
    Yeti Pelts
    Bren Muller's Crossbow
    Cynicism
    Mystery of the Dead
    The Sword of Myrloch Vale
    Young Rage

So, I guess this is the list you're looking for.
    bengoshi said:

@SorrowSeer and @duffkitty :

There hasn't been any "list" anywhere, so I tried to gather everything about this subject.

According to @CamDawg here (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/567863/#Comment_567863) IWDEE fully incorporates the mod known as "Item Upgrade"

According to the description of the mod, http://www.gibberlings3.net/iu_iwd/spoilers1.php, the following items can be upgraded:

Girdle of Gond
    Stoutward
    Winter Wolf Pelts
    Yeti Pelts
    Bren Muller's Crossbow
    Cynicism
    Mystery of the Dead
    The Sword of Myrloch Vale
    Young Rage

So, I guess this is the list you're looking for.

Many thanks!!
  • pat35249pat35249 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking if the leveling system different from IWD2...
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    any new areas in the game (as the new NPC areas in BG/BG2)?
    @kamuizin No, there're no new areas in IWDEE if compared to IWD.

There're no new areas or quests, but there's a restored content in IWDEE that provides a completely new quest in Lower Dorn's Deep, the Voice of Durdel Anatha. It also allows for different resolutions or twists to existing quests. For example, you can challenge Presio to a one-on-one duel, or find a way to turn Malavon's golems against him.

The details of the restored content are below:

The Voice of Durdel Anatha
    This is probably the best known of the missing content, and a slightly different version is available as part of the core content of Auril's Bane. This component restores the Voice of Durdel Anatha, a cursed paladin of Torm forced to wander around Lower Dorn's Deep. The party can free him of his curse.

Malavon's Golems
    There was a book that detailed how Malavon created his twin iron golems. The party can possibly deactivate or even turn them against Malavon.

Expanded Guello/Beorn Quest
    When you speak with the deep gnomes, they actually ask for two things--that you kill Shikata and his salamander kin (thus freeing Guello) and also to stop the umber hulks that are digging and searching for their hidden enclave. Guello will now reward you for both tasks instead of just one of them. Note that this also restores a wave of umber hulks in Tarnelm's oubliette, making the battle here a bit tougher.

Presio's Duel
    The third level of Dragon's Eye features Presio and her legions of undead. As the party travels the area, she speaks to the party via her undead lieutenants. Paladins and mages can call her out to single combat through one of these vessels.

Orrick's Rhino Beetle Shield
    The duergar Dirty Llew can fashion a shield out of rhino beetle shells for the party; Nym can further enchant the shield. As an alternative, the party can take Llew's shield to Orrick in Kuldahar instead with a slightly different result.

The High Baptist's Flock
    Some leftover dialogues and scripting suggested The High Baptist was supposed to have some followers. When you encounter him on the fifth level of the Dragon's Eye, he'll now have a small but "loyal" congregation.

Marketh's Ring
    Marketh's Ring from UB is not included. It introduces some fundamental changes to some key characters and really stretches out the Marketh sequence with a lot of pointless delays.

There's some new dialogue, primarily to account for the new kits and the half-orc race. Specifically Assassins, Blackguards, Barbarians, and Priests of Tempus all have new dialogue options (or adjustments to original dialogue) at various points in the game. Be sure to have your half-orc speak to the townspeople in Easthaven.

Overall, IWDEE is much more than the restored content, if compared with the vanilla game: new spells from BG, completely new spells nowhere seen before, new items, new UI, new classes and kits from BG + 2 completely new kits.

The new UI and BG2EE spells are the things in particular that make IWDEE more than worth it if compared with the vanilla version.

Check all the details (about what IWDEE is) here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/542662/#Comment_542662

Among other plus things about IWDEE is an excellent modability - there're a LOT of mods for IWDEE already, check http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36477/list-iwd-ee-compatible-mods#latest
    Hmm nice, does the crafting items from creatures leftover has a list of possible items @Bengoshi? Also, anyone knows a mod to make possible blackguard orcs (in Dorn's style)? That make a lot of sense (in fact blackguard class restriction makes no sense).
    kamuizin said:

Hmm nice, does the crafting items from creatures leftover has a list of possible items @Bengoshi?

I'm afraid I don't fully understand what you're asking... In my post in this thread from April, 28, I've made a list of items that can be upgraded.

As for the mod to make possible blackguard orcs (in Dorn's style), I advice to install the "Remove Racial Restrictions for Single Classes" component from the BG2 Tweaks (the mod that is IWDEE compatible), http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg2tweaks/. I like this tweak a lot.
    I understand that some leftovers of monsters now can be used to make new items (Yeti pelt, scarab husks...) so, there's a list for that?
  • craymond727craymond727 Member Posts: 208
    edited June 2015
    I currently have a 93 rolled for my blade character, and I'm wondering if it would be better to have a higher Strength or Intelligence? Right now, I have 18 Strength and 16 Intelligence. Should I keep as is, or invert/equal the two?
    Edit: 18 Str/18 Dex/16 Con/16 Int/10 Wis/15 Cha
    Post edited by craymond727 on
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @craymond727 It's sort of preference, but it also comes down to the rest of your team. Is your bard the main caster? Go with that little extra bit of intelligence. If you have a dedicated mage, though, then I'd say definitely get the 18 strength. More INT means you can put more spells into your spellbook and your chance of successfully scribing scrolls is higher. More STR means you're more accurate and you hit harder. Basically just choose whichever is a higher priority for the character.
  • Artas1984Artas1984 Member Posts: 49
    edited July 2015
    Playing this game for the first time!

Before reading any ruther pelase answer is this even the right forum? I have the GOG Icewind Dale Complete edition and it seems that this forum is about "enchanced edition", of wich i have never heard anything. Can you link me to "regular" game forum if this is the wrong one?

I have finished all the NWN and NWN 2 games as well as Planescape Torment before though..

Obviously older D&D rules surprise me alot.

My most important question is - are there premade heroes in the game you can hire? Just like in Torment for instance you can hire Dakon or not, in Neverwinter you can hire Deekin or not.

What about Icewind? How many hirelings are there available? Can you start with a single hero?