Skip to content

other games we play

Comments

• laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283
    diablo 2 for me as well, diablo 3 even with the expansion was a fail by blizzard. i still play diablo 2 to this day. and fallout 3 for me
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Hmmm @laptopman666‌ why don't you vote your own poll ? ;D
    diablo would be my runner up on favorite series, starcraft being a close second
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    No flying/space games??

I'm currently obsessed with Elite: Dangerous. Seriously, it's awesome! I've also been playing Rise of Flight, though not so much since the Elite beta went live, since Elite pretty much dominates all of my gaming time now. =)
    flying games were never really my thing but i can definitely see the appeal for them! :)
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Goiing back to OP: I voted "Other".

"Y U NO PLAY GAMES LISTED ABOVE?" you could say.
    "Because I've played all these RPGs already, I don't like sports game and in these times I can't stand FPS, RTS, and puzzle games" I would reply.

But that's not all, of course: ATM I'm in a sort of nostalgia mood and I'm playing lots of 8bit and 16bit games, both old and new.
    I've completed La Mulana, a really hard but awesome ruin exploration-platform game, so I raise a toast to Nigoro Games for to have made a game like that.
    I've rushed in Retro City Rampage and I laughed a lot at all those '80s quotes and references, from Back to the Future to A-Team, Hazzard and more. Unfortunately that game is just too short.
    Now I'm stuck in Pillars of Eternity Beta because a bug prevents me from opening a door even if I have the key. :/
    I replayed Hidden and Dangerous 2 just because it's awesome, even if it still has some bugs.

These are my recent games; I have to point that I have little time to play, becaue of, well, real life: my job, friends, my daughter and other things like looking for a girlfriend and such, eheheheh. ;P

If I have to tell my own game tastes I like Role Playing Games the most, Real Time Strategy, old Nintendo games like NES, SNES and N64 ones, Zelda above all, but I also reccommend you Faxanadù, The Guardian Legend, Fester's Quest on NES, F-Zero and Another World for SNES, QuakeII and Hexen for N64 but they're better on a PC. ;P
    As I've said I like old platforms, old GTA games (I and II), SCI-FI games like the X series, even if X:Rebirth disappointed me, X3 + Terran Conflict + Albion Prelude was the best one of the whole series.

I can't stand Japanese RPGs turn based-combat fashioned, like Final Fantasy and similar: I really hate that combat system and the map "free roaming" where if you have to go from A to B you get chased by thousands mobs but if you need to level up a bit you can't find anything *put rage here*.

I loved Diablo and Diablo II back in my days, but I can't stand DIII. Ever.

My favourite TES game is Morrowind; Oblivion and Skyrim are good but too much console-friendly for my tastes and the old gamer inside me died every moment he saw DAT arrow and the whole quest system.

I loved Fallout I and II but Fallout II by Bethesda was a sort of shock for me, I think I have to replay it, though...

FPS: I am the one with Wolf3D, Doom, Quake, Hexen, Blood and all of these old but gold games; going forward with time the only thing that I can say is that people is able to make good FPS no more. Noo much console friendly, too much multiplayer focused and the poor dumb single player is screwed. SP campaigns are too short but what can I say? Nowadays MP is mainstream and you can make money just focusing on that, so... I replay the old ones. :)

RTS: I liked first Command & Conquer games, Starcraft, Dark Reign, and lots of other ones I can't remember the name right now, I loved Age of Empires series but I am a great fan of Total Annihilation! That was a great game and I loved when the Supreme Commander series was out! Total Annihilation is one of the best RTS ever for me. :)

Nowadays there are also an enormous amount of indie games and there many I like, but in my opinion there's a whole mass of them that is of poor quality talking about content and gaming time, and a certain amount of them is just moneytrap, so I like the indipendent developement really a lot, but I use the magnifier when I'm going to buy in that category. :)

Ok, no other genres comes to my mind so I'll stop here. I'm pretty sure there will be other posts above this one that I haven't read because I've left this post undone for about an hour for doing soemthing else and I've completed it just now. ;P
    @metalloman yep i have a pretty busy life too most of the time er minus the kids and all. and just do what i do, dont stress about finding a girlfriend just wait for the right one to come to you. and old school games are the best man, retro gaming all the way!
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, sometimes I just don't care, but sometimes it's harder! XD

In Topic: I can't avoid retro-gaming: I'm a pure nostalgic gamer! :)

EDIT: Talking about TES series, i played Arena and Daggerfall too, but I really think that Bethesda acme is and will always be Morrowind. :)
  • InvictusCobraInvictusCobra Member Posts: 108
    edited September 2014
    I play a lot of games that are in this poll, so I went with the one that covers most ground. From the other options I play the Fallout franchise, the Elder Scrolls, played some Diablo 3 last year (only game of the genre I like to play, tried Sacred, Path of Exile and Titan Quest and liked none of them). I play the Mass Effect franchise, the Souls series and on the topic of shooters, I play Brutal Doom and Payday 2. I like RTS a bit (Command & Conquer, mostly Red Alert) but prefer strategy a la XCOM. I also love fighting games.
    In short, I'm all over the place :D .
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    It's sad but true. I got hooked on minecraft in the... 6th or 7th grade, I can't remember. And I still play it some. Not as much, of course. I was *really* into it through, and not any mess-around-new-world-every-day-yay-diamond crap either. I was the real deal. I knew how red stone worked, I had elaborate train system, 100-block skyscrapers, and that was my survival world.
    I say I don't like much anymore, but honestly I'm still pretty proud of it. I'll see if I have any pic left on my phone. And these are limits pics, as in straight-up take a picture of the screen with your phone cause you don't know how to take a screenshot;)
    I figured it out eventually, but still.
    imageimageimageimageimage
    edited September 2014
    @CoM_Solaufein‌: about post-apocalyptic games like old Fallouts: have you ever tried Underrail? I tried a demo once and it was pretty good! :D
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Every game I have played in the past 8 years:

All the Infinity Engine games (in terms of time commitment this is around 75%. Mostly BG2 and ToB. I only played Planescape:Torment and IWDII once each, and beat IWD on 3 occasions, though one was without Heart of Winter. Baldur's Gate I is the second most)
    Temple of Elemental Evil
    NWN 1 and 2 (never got past chapter 2 in either)
    Mario 64 (beat it twice, once with a friend and once with my brother)
    Various Super Smash Bros games during college (second most time, about 10-15%)
    FIFA games (about 5-10% in terms of time) I usually buy the game for the season, then finish two seasons in career mode playing only the big matches (so about 20 games a season). I then put it away except when one of my college friends comes to visit, then we play two player (co-op and versus)

I tried Dragon Age for like five minutes, but wasn't a fan. Also got destroyed in Mario Kart once by my goddaughter :/

In terms of videogames, I'm mostly a Infinity Engine or D&D guy, with some Nintendo and FIFA thrown in
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    - Infinity Engine games!
    - Elderscroll series (started with Daggerfall)
    - Fallouts (all of them, including Fallout Tactics)
    - Might and Magic franchise (M&M7, 8, 10 also with HOMAM 3.5, 5)
    - occasionally Borderlands 2
    - sometimes Guild Wars2 MMO
    - various older or single-player RPG games or tactical games, like Wizardry, Realms of Arkania series, Jagged Alliance, Shadowrun, recently Drakensang.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    My favorites outside the IE engine games are NetHack, Angband, Age of Empires III and Age of Mythology. Those, besides Battle for Wesnoth and sometimes Marathon are the only games I play nowadays.
    meagloth said:

I knew how red stone worked, I had elaborate train system, 100-block skyscrapers, and that was my survival world.
    I say I don't like much anymore, but honestly I'm still pretty proud of it. I'll see if I have any pic left on my phone.

@meagloth‌ well, back in my times of minecraft (I only played for two months on summer holidays, then I got BG:EE), I had created three skyscrapers (176 blocks tall, but 90% made of glass and 10% iron blocks) in hardcore mode, besides a mansion and a giant roll-coaster. And my death was epic… a friend thought it was survival and jumped from one of the skyscrapers :\
    CrevsDaak said:

My favorites outside the IE engine games are NetHack, Angband, Age of Empires III and Age of Mythology. Those, besides Battle for Wesnoth and sometimes Marathon are the only games I play nowadays.

meagloth said:

I knew how red stone worked, I had elaborate train system, 100-block skyscrapers, and that was my survival world.
    I say I don't like much anymore, but honestly I'm still pretty proud of it. I'll see if I have any pic left on my phone.

@meagloth‌ well, back in my times of minecraft (I only played for two months on summer holidays, then I got BG:EE), I had created three skyscrapers (176 blocks tall, but 90% made of glass and 10% iron blocks) in hardcore mode, besides a mansion and a giant roll-coaster. And my death was epic… a friend thought it was survival and jumped from one of the skyscrapers :\
    Yea whatever. Anything I can do, you can do better. I get it. But Did you have a farm on the fourth story?
    Do you know how much work it is to lure cows of three flights of stairs? Really frustrating.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited September 2014
    meagloth said:

CrevsDaak said:

meagloth said:

Yea whatever. Anything I can do, you can do better. I get it. But Did you have a farm on the fourth story?
    Do you know how much work it is to lure cows of three flights of stairs? Really frustrating.
    No, no farms. I never got really involved to make farms. I just left my younger cousin "breaking all of this sand and throwing it over there" (slave work XD, actually he liked doing so lol). He got lots of sand, so, without any other ideas than building a skyscraper (no interior, just the outside made of glass and the top with Iron blocks), but I had too many so I created three skyscrapers :p My mansion was big, ok, but actually it was my only house in the whole world, and the roll-coaster was a line of trains that went over trees and under some mountains to connect the skyscrapers with my mansion. The only way to get to the top of the skyscrapers was with a wood ladder in the inside (yeah, they did had doors and wooden floor, lol).
    CrevsDaak said:

meagloth said:

CrevsDaak said:

meagloth said:

No, no farms. I never got really involved to make farms. I just left my younger cousin "breaking all of this sand and throwing it over there" (slave work XD, actually he liked doing so lol). He got lots of sand, so, without any other ideas than building a skyscraper (no interior, just the outside made of glass and the top with Iron blocks), but I had too many so I created three skyscrapers :p My mansion was big, ok, but actually it was my only house in the whole world, and the roll-coaster was a line of trains that went over trees and under some mountains to connect the skyscrapers with my mansion. The only way to get to the top of the skyscrapers was with a wood ladder in the inside (yeah, they did had doors and wooden floor, lol).
    I spent a lot of time In creative. I feel like I used the game like it was meant to be, or at least hot close. I had worlds. Towns, hotels, cities. All connected by elaborate roads and railway systems. And I believed it to, in a manner of speaking. I was a little kid back then, and I was in deep.
    My greatest work was probably my pyramid. It was sandstone(not the one in the picture) and full of elaborate traps and mazes. I challenged all my siblings and fronds to try completing it, no one ever did. It's hard to access now, though. It keeps getting updated an updated that overhauled the redstone system not only made redstone more frustrating to work with but enlarged it enough that the application froze when I got near the pyramid, which was full of complicated redstone.
    The one thing I wished they would implement was a gravity system, at least in survival. I always hated the way blocks just floated. I always put supports on my bridges, but it felt empty and useless. I have lots of idea for minecraft, given ultimate control and unlimited resources though. I would make a great mob of 6th grade boys very unhappy, I think:)
    But the lemmings had it coming.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    My top games series goes like this
    1. Shin Megami Tensai: Persona especially Persona 4: Golden.
    2. Baldurs gate 1,2
    3. Romance of the three Kingdom, the eighth installment being my all time favorite.
    4. The star craft series.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    These are the most recent games I've gotten into within the last 2-3 years, that I can remember anyway:

- Divinity: Original Sin
    - BG1+2
    - Skyrim
    - Metal Gear Solid
    - Blazblue (haven't managed to play CP though)
    - ...Pokemon Y

Future games on my radar:

- Fable Anniversary (the game wasn't so good now that I look back, but for old time's sake)
    - PoE
    - Super Smash Bros for 3DS
    - Torment: Tides of Numenera
    - Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I play all those except sports, Starcraft, and Diablo, but I put Elder Scrolls because that is my current game, also I haven't play ME since the extended cut so I don't exactly play it anymore. I've been playing ESO but am now playing the single players again from 1 to 5. Current on 3: Morrowind, without rushing through :)
    @childofbhaal599 morrowind is work of art :)
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

@childofbhaal599 morrowind is work of art :)

well I first started playing Elder Scrolls when Oblivion released, but I like them all and can enjoy Morrowind when the slow start is done. I still find Morrowind and Oblivion to be my favorites, with Skyrim being too casual and dumbed down in RPG elements, while Arena and Daggerfall were excellent dungeon crawlers but I like Elder Scrolls for the worlds, not just the dungeons. This isn't actually even my first time trying to go 1 to 5 either, but the first time was before Skyrim's release and I didn't finish Oblivion before it released... that still took a good many months to make it that far through the Elder Scrolls series while playing it as it should be played and enjoying the worlds :)
    @childofbhaal599 oh man i hated skyrim, too casual for me. oblivion is my favorite, morrowind being right on par
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited September 2014
    Fallout 1/2.

Occasionally play Diablo 2 (as well as it's spiritual Successor Torchlight series), but only with friends. (I get bored of games of that type really easily, solo)

Mount & Blade/Warband

Kenshi

Civilization stuff

Caeser/Pharoh/Emperor

Daggerfall/Morrowind from TES Series. (despise Oblivion and Skyrim)

Dragon Quest stuff

Some Final Fantasy stuff

Starcraft 1

Warcraft 1-3, and have an off/on love-hate relationship with WoW

Eve Online

Haven & Hearth / Some Salem (but I prefer H&H)

Warhammer 40: Dawn of War 1+ expansions (despise DoW2)

Age of Empires series

Empire Earth + Art of Conquest expansion

Black & White 1/2

Space Engineers

Harvest Moon

A large variety of Simulator style games.

A lot of D&D-based products

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle/ Heritage for the Future HD version

Skies of Arcadia Legends

Dragon's Dogma: DA

White Knight Chronicles 1/2

Some generation of Pokemon (Prefer Gold/Silver era above all)

Tribes 1/2

Lots and lots of other as well (but no sports, racing, musical, or motion games)
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Civ V
    Wasteland 2 early access

And I will give TToN a try.

• MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    Since I already finished Baldurs Gate EE 1 and 2, and I couldn't get into Icewind Dale or Neverwinter Nights, I decided to play Dragon Age instead. Finished the second one last night, along with the DLCs, though it wasn't as good as Origins. Can't wait for Inquisition.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    honestly? angry birds and 2048
  • DauntDaunt Member Posts: 52
    Musigny said:

Civ V

Yep, I dig Civ 5. Only put about 130hrs into it, so I'm perdy newb, but it's fun. Probably will wait on picking up Beyond Earth since I've got a ways to go with V
    Mhamza said:

Since I already finished Baldurs Gate EE 1 and 2, and I couldn't get into Icewind Dale or Neverwinter Nights, I decided to play Dragon Age instead. Finished the second one last night, along with the DLCs, though it wasn't as good as Origins. Can't wait for Inquisition.

Yeah Origins was fun, although I didn't finish it for some reason. Maybe I'll give it and the sequels a go if I stay on an RPG kick for a bit. Still gotta finish V; tM - Bloodlines too.

As for me, I've been playing FPS's mostly the past few years, the usual gamut of Call of Duty or Battlefield, a bit of Team Fortress 2, etc. Before my stint on shooters though, rpg's were pretty much all I played.

Also gotta give KotoR a go too. Too many Steam sales, so many games sitting unplayed on my drive!
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Gods… so many "Other". I started before I even owned a computer playing "Pool of Radiance" in college on the Mac there. That was… 1987, I think. I got my first Mac in 1991, and with it, the game "Taskmaker" by Storm/Impact- and I played it to completion. Let me see if I can find a video of Gameplay on YouTube…
    NOPE! It's that old! I went through all the "Pool of Radiance" series, Tomb of Taskmaker (a sequel to "Taskmaker", of course.) Baldur's Gate 1&2, Tales of the Sword Coast and Throne of Bhaal. Icewind Dale, Diablo 1- a TON of shareware games including the Exile/Avernum games (all three of each there were at the time), Realmz, Quest of Yipe 1 and 2, Yipe III. There was another game as well, also shareware, but I can't remember the name. I got it off the AOL shareware files section (back when AOL had one of these). Tetris, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within. Leather Goddesses of Phobos, 7th Guest, 11th Hour, Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Thayer's Quest (aka Kingdom: The Far Reaches), Kingdom II: Shadoan, Angband. MacBoss (another shareware game set in a steampunk-like version of Rogue), Every Civilization game Except CIV V, Civilization: Call to Power (I don't consider this an actual CIV game so much), Master of Orion II (I downloaded it from GOG.com and still play it. It Rocks!), FATE (another shareware title, more action-y than RPG-ish), lot of Puzzle Search games like I Spy, Sim City, Sim City 2000, Sim Earth, The Sims, The Sims 2 and the Sims 3, The Sims: Medieval, The CSI games for the Macintosh, and CSI:NY game, Nethergate (from the same guy who made the Exile/Avernum games, Jeff Vogel), Also Blades of Exile/Avernum, Geneforge 1, 2 and 3, Virtual Villagers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Romance of Rome, and a ton of other "casual, downloadable games". I have a ton of game boxes in the attic. Age of Mythology, Sim Theme Park, Sim Island, Sim Tower/Yoot Tower, Yo-Jin-Bo and Animamundi, two visual novels with the first being an Otomo or "Princess" game (meaning a main female character and a male harem). I know there were tons of others I played, but these were my real favorites, with some I play even to this day. I have the game Discs for Neverwinter Nights, but the game never wanted to cooperate with my computer. I have also played bits of the Original Witcher, and Knights of the Old Republic, along with Dragon Age, but I haven't played too much of any of them lately. I even remember playing some Starcraft (The original) AGES ago. Oh yes, and some "Command and Conquer".

As you can see, I have been playing games for a LONG time. Even before I got a computer, I was a kid who spent so much time in the video arcade… I remember playing Space Invaders, Battlezone, Pac Man, Asteroids, Centipede and Crystal Castles…. so many.