Skip to content

What is known?

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Should they have just sat on their hands and 'Goth out' when BG had it's Atari problems?? They are a business, hence IWD.

This would be like a farmer not double or tripple checking his equipment when its too wet to be on the land. Ideally, he'd be planting, harvesting, spraying etc, but the world isnt ideal.
    atcDave
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Sergio said:

@elminster what you said is not relevant at all. :P
    Do I blame bethesda because they didn't port it on android? No.
    Do I blame it because they did an amazingly bugged game? yes

I'm also sick of reading that they have few members, when all I've asked weren't new features, nothing at all. I just asked for a working game. And they are even publishing another game or at least starting to advertise it without even fixing bg2 - and you are telling me they got few people in the staff, and they even have the luxury to do two games at once?

Taking an older game designed to work on PC and making it work on Mac, Ipad, Android, and (soon) Linux is going to lead to a lot of bugs.

Especially given the game offers both singleplayer and multi-player, when Skyrim is (outside of one dead mod) a single player only game.

Having the resources and 10x the staff so that you can build your own engine exclusively for the game is a huge different from inheriting a 15 year old engine and making it work.

So I'd say what I wrote was pretty relevant.

In any event this thread is for what is known about IWDEE. If you have issues with how BG2EE's patching has been handled then take those up elsewhere. There are many threads about that already.
    jackjackkaguanabooinyoureyesThacoBell
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Quartz said:

Wowo said:

For instance, Bioshock is $20. I don't think IWDee compares to that.

Wow. Hey guys, let's compare every game's price point to freaking BioShock. Are you serious right now? If you do that, you're going to be disappointed with every game ever that isn't BioShock. What sort of logical fallacy is this? False comparison? Probably additionally about five others?
    Bioshock has recently been ported to iPad, IWD is being ported to iPad.
    Both are RPGs (though of very different kinds).
    Both are $20 (reportedly for IWD even though BGEE and BG2ee are cheaper).
    Both have immersive character development.

Doesn't seem like an unfair comparison to me given the context of being an iPad player.
    booinyoureyes
    Quartz said:

Wowo said:

Quartz said:

Wowo said:

For instance, Bioshock is $20. I don't think IWDee compares to that.

Wow. Hey guys, let's compare every game's price point to freaking BioShock. Are you serious right now? If you do that, you're going to be disappointed with every game ever that isn't BioShock. What sort of logical fallacy is this? False comparison? Probably additionally about five others?
    Bioshock has recently been ported to iPad, IWD is being ported to iPad.
    Both are RPGs (though of very different kinds).
    Both are $20 (reportedly for IWD even though BGEE and BG2ee are cheaper).
    Both have immersive character development.

Doesn't seem like an unfair comparison to me given the context of being an iPad player.
    BioShock isn't a RPG. It isn't anywhere near a RPG. But once somebody throws in a leveling mechanic of any kind, people label it a "RPG" because there are so scarce few actual RPGs these days.

I absolutely adore BioShock. But this is just silly.
    Silly or not these 2 games are both being released around the same time at a premium price point of $20.

How is it unreasonable to compare them on this basis?

Wowo said:

Silly or not these 2 games are both being released around the same time at a premium price point of $20.

How is it unreasonable to compare them on this basis?

It's fine to compare them, provided you understand that Bioshock is just a terrible port of a great game, while IWDEE is an enhanced version and a good port of a great game. If anything, Bioshock is the worse deal at $20.
    Well I haven't played either the original or the port of bioshock unfortunately. I was looking forward to getting it for my ipad but unfortunately it's 1 generation too old so incompatible :(

Reading reviews of the port the chief issue I understand is touch controls but iirc its compatible with controllers which would be a fix and then it would be equivalent to playing it on console or computer, no? Just lacking a little in the graphic compartment but if you're on this forum then Ill assume that graphics isn't a big thing for you :p

IWD on the other hand never held my interest enough to complete a play through back in the day due to the linear storyline and focus on hack'n'slash compared to the BG series which seemed to have more depth.

BGee and BG2ee were price appropriately on the App Store at $12 to $15 iirc with IAP available to bring the cost up to the same price as desktop prices. I just think it should have the same price for IWDee.

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Wowo said:

BGee and BG2ee were price appropriately on the App Store at $12 to $15 iirc with IAP available to bring the cost up to the same price as desktop prices. I just think it should have the same price for IWDee.

IWDEE doesn't have in-app purchases because it comes with everything, so the prices ARE equivalent.
    CrevsDaakkaguana

Wowo said:

IWDEE doesn't have in-app purchases because it comes with everything, so the prices ARE equivalent.
    No they're not. No need to buy the different IAPs if you are happy with the game as a polished and mostly bug free version of the original without the additional NPCs.

In fact I really struggle to see how IWDee will be any different to BGEE or BG2EE before buying the various IAPs. Polished, bug free, limited additional content, ipad compatible.

Given the track record of both BGEE and BG2EE for bugs, patch frequency and other issues I have pretty strong concerns over IWDee and if that's true for a diehard fan like me then perhaps a lower price is really needed to encourage uptake with maybe some premium DLC in the future when some confidence is restored to bring it up to the $20 price point.
    @Wowo‌
    The extra characters are part of the "enhancements" of the game, which come standard for PC at $19.99
    BGEE is $9.99 for portable platforms, with some of its content separated into DLC, totaling to equal the PC's $19.99 price point.
    IWDEE is $19.99 on all platforms, with none of its enhanced content separated out, the same as it would be to buy BGEE with all of its DLC.
    The prices are equivalent. The fact that BGEE gives you the option to not buy DLC does not somehow make the $19.99 price points unequal.
    Zanian

@Wowo‌
    The extra characters are part of the "enhancements" of the game, which come standard for PC at $19.99
    BGEE is $9.99 for portable platforms, with some of its content separated into DLC, totaling to equal the PC's $19.99 price point.
    IWDEE is $19.99 on all platforms, with none of its enhanced content separated out, the same as it would be to buy BGEE with all of its DLC.
    The prices are equivalent. The fact that BGEE gives you the option to not buy DLC does not somehow make the $19.99 price points unequal.

Yes it does. DLC is optional. You can have the game for $10.

Considering that the DLC stuff is new content in the form of complete NPCs with stories and quests and IWDee has no brand new content (just some old unfinished stuff ala "unfinished business") and some items I really don't see the justification for the cost.

Kits and so forth is not an argument as BG didn't have kits until EE either.
    @Wowo‌
    BGEE doesn't have any new quests without the NPCs, so unless you pay for the NPCs you don't get new quests.
    IWDEE, on the other hand, is coming packaged with new quests, regardless of their "Unfinished Business"-like approach. It's new content. And the count of new items is 60+, which is a lot more than either of the BGEEs.
    The price is justified because no part of IWDEE is being parceled out and it has just as much in the way of enhancement as previous titles.
  • CrypticWizardCrypticWizard Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2014
    I have completed the original IWD at least thrice (and HOW expansion twice). I'm hoping some of the mistakes will be fixed in the EE.

@Wowo‌
    BGEE doesn't have any new quests without the NPCs, so unless you pay for the NPCs you don't get new quests.
    IWDEE, on the other hand, is coming packaged with new quests, regardless of their "Unfinished Business"-like approach. It's new content. And the count of new items is 60+, which is a lot more than either of the BGEEs.
    The price is justified because no part of IWDEE is being parceled out and it has just as much in the way of enhancement as previous titles.

Wrong. You get Rasaad and his accompanying quest for free.
    booinyoureyes
    Wowo said:

Wrong. You get Rasaad and his accompanying quest for free.

I stand corrected. That doesn't however, refute my point in any way. IWDEE has a $19.99 price point because it comes with all of its content and BGEE has a $19.99 price point with all content.
    booinyoureyes
    edited September 2014
    Updated my post on page one to include this new price info :)
    ArduljackjackJuliusBorisov
  • TomarctusTomarctus Member Posts: 49
    That seems slighly unfair. Dont get me wrong, I'll gladly pay the 19,99 for it and I'll know it'll be worth it. I however do not understand why the same game would be cheaper for non-pc's. Or did I miss something here?
    meaglothronaldoCrevsDaak
    Dee said:

The iOS and Android versions will be $9.99. We considered a number of options, but the mobile platforms are a different type of market. All content will still be included.

I would have said this earlier, but I wasn't certain whether it had been specifically said at PAX.

Woo hoo! No brainer for me then, I'll be buying this straight out the gate. Great news, thank you!

I guess I had a point despite what some other forumites thought of my posts in this thread.
    Fardragon said:

Tomarctus said:

That seems slighly unfair. Dont get me wrong, I'll gladly pay the 19,99 for it and I'll know it'll be worth it. I however do not understand why the same game would be cheaper for non-pc's. Or did I miss something here?

The price is based around what people would be willing to pay in that marketplace.

There are drawbacks to the iOS version though - it's difficult to customise for one thing.
    Plus (though only those who own multiple OS's will benefit) if you buy the desktop version you are buying the game for multiple platforms.
    CrevsDaakjackjackkaguanabooinyoureyes
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Dee said:

The iOS and Android versions will be $9.99. We considered a number of options, but the mobile platforms are a different type of market. All content will still be included.

I would have said this earlier, but I wasn't certain whether it had been specifically said at PAX.

O_o
    well then.
    QuartzCrevsDaakjackjack
  • BuddyRichBuddyRich Member Posts: 20
    I'm a collector. I bought bg1ee and 2ee on steam (admittedly during steam sales) and bgee for iPad and android. Retired my iPad and moved to Android hence the repurchase. Still waiting on bg2ee for Android though. And I still have the CDs and Gog complete package of all ie games anyway. Initially I just wanted a mobile version as the mod community already did bg1ee pc as tutu. I am amazed there is still a mod community after 15 years, the we might breath new life into it.
    ronaldo
    Wowo said:

Woo hoo! No brainer for me then, I'll be buying this straight out the gate. Great news, thank you!

I guess I had a point despite what some other forumites thought of my posts in this thread.

Except you never mentioned that you thought the price should be lower because it was on a mobile platform, but because Overhaul supposedly being lazy and didn't do as much work as they did in BGEE.
    elminsterjackjackkaguanaThacoBell
    edited September 2014

Wowo said:

Except you never mentioned that you thought the price should be lower because it was on a mobile platform, but because Overhaul supposedly being lazy and didn't do as much work as they did in BGEE.
    Umm ...
    Wowo said:

Given the track record of both BGEE and BG2EE for bugs, patch frequency and other issues I have pretty strong concerns over IWDee and if that's true for a diehard fan like me then perhaps a lower price is really needed to encourage uptake with maybe some premium DLC in the future when some confidence is restored to bring it up to the $20 price point.

So yes I did.

Or are you referring to it just on the mobile platform? I've been arguing my case as an iPad player the whole time and comparing the price to other iOS games ... If that's the case I think you're reaching a bit.
    booinyoureyes