Skip to content

What is known?

Comments

• GuboGubo Member Posts: 75
    Faydark said:

It costs money to develop these games for 5 platforms. So they spread the cost amongst all the titles, and I'm FINE with that. I'd rather have them be able to EE all the old DnD titles possible because they made $8 more per copy of IWDEE than to have them fold due to lack of funding and never see PST:EE etc.

Your opinion may vary, of course. =D

Right there with you. Personally I love PS:T the most of all the IE games and would love to see it one day. So if my pre-ordering of all the EE's to date brings to fruition PS:T EE then I'll be one happy gamer.

I do have the IE collection from GOG so I can understand the argument of why buy it again, but they are good games even today.

I haven't played either of the icewind dale games yet but that will change when IWD:EE comes out. Loving the cross platform multiplayer and all 6 party members generated by the player(s), should be great to get a gang of people together to play.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    I totally get the "I have version X on PC, why buy the EE?" people. Perhaps none of the new features are worth money to them. There's also a tendency for people to expect AAA quality from 99c/free apps these days. As a dev myself, it's totally frustrating trying to get anything made at reasonable quality with expectations like those.

I have original BG1 & 2 discs, I have all the infinity engine games in multiple atari / dnd re-release collections and such, I have the gog versions too.

For me, I am paying ( again ) for the:

- Cross platform (I can play it easily on my tablet when I'm on the train, no internet connection required, natively and without having to mess around with a bunch of arcane non-working stuff).

- Zoom functionality (on a large monitor, this really improves how the game looks, without breaking gameplay because you can always zoom back to where it was "supposed" to be)

- New modability features. Lots of hardcoded stuff is now not hardcoded... looking forward to what people do with it. (Would still like some of the classes to be non-hardcoded one day please!)

- New content. I don't get the hate for the new content. =D
    Calmar
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited September 2014
    sooo

pc is paying twice as much as mobile versions for the same product?

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    element said:

sooo

pc is paying twice as much as mobile versions for the same product?

There's a number of ways to look at it, but the reason the prices are different is that apps on mobile markets are priced differently than apps on desktop markets.
    elementbooinyoureyesjackjack
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    @Dee we even have a name for it here in Australia: The Australia tax!

We generally pay twice as much (or more) than US/EU equivalents "because they can". =D

So in this instance, we're paying "the PC tax, because we can"
    rufus_hobart
    edited September 2014
    well regardless I think ill leave it until it goes cheaper or something Im not really happy buying into that pricing system
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

You're literally buying into that pricing system by simply using your computer on a daily basis. A word processor on a tablet sure as hell doesn't cost as much as Microsoft Word.

...there are people who actually still buy that? I'm speecheless! I much rather use the free Apache OpenOffice program for both desktop and table alike.
    jackjack
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

You're literally buying into that pricing system by simply using your computer on a daily basis. A word processor on a tablet sure as hell doesn't cost as much as Microsoft Word.

...there are people who actually still buy that? I'm speecheless! I much rather use the free Apache OpenOffice program for both desktop and table alike.
    I tried Open Office, used it for years, but after using Microsoft Word 2013 at an internship, I broke down and bought it. There's a lot of features to it that make Open Office look clunky by comparison. You just need to get used to 2013's less than intuitive interface, unfortunately.
    elminsterAristilliusmlneveseJarrakul
    edited September 2014

element said:

well regardless I think ill leave it until it goes cheaper or something Im not really happy buying into that pricing system

poor comparison

word and similar programs tend to be essential and or have alternative options, a video game is a very different matter altogether. Luckily I have an option here, I can either choose to buy into a system I don't agree with or I can choose not too. I have chosen the later.

If I as a consumer am going to be punished for choosing to play a developers game on my preferred platform I am simply not going to support hat developer by buying there product.
    edited September 2014
    I genuinely mean no ill will here and from your perspective I completely understand why it s the way it is. I simply would not be happy with myself if I were to purchase it in this form. ill pick it up further down the line when I am more comfortable with it.

regardless I hope it does well for you
    @Quartz I assume that was aimed at me?
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    Elendar said:

Moon is no egg. Moon is wife to sun. It is known.

It is known.

Was waiting for this response. Wasn't disappointed.
    ForgottenMythNimranmch202CrevsDaak
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,497
    @Quartz The EE games have all cost peanuts, I'm so grateful to them for that that I snapped them all up as soon as I saw them available. I liked the article but when I think about games on steam sale, very few games are worth buying even when they are are 70% off or however steam does it. This may just be my personal taste. I think , just because you can make a game, a functioning game, doesn't make it worth the money that pays for the time you spent on it, unfortunately.

Though, nobody deserves the personal abuse developers get, or even the unthinking negativity. (hypocrite I am)
    RAM021kcwise
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @Moomintroll Plenty of quality games are sold for über cheap on Steam as well.
    elminsterMoomintrollCoryNewb
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    This thread flew under my radar, but is full of win from post #2 and beyond.
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    bengoshi said:

A huge update:

There will be new kits in IWDEE!

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/icewind/icewindee/icewindeeint.html

In this case we don't know even their names :) But it's a superb news.

Updated my list thread about 7.5 hrs ago about it :)
    kaguanaJuliusBorisovkcwisemlnevese
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @kaguana‌ Not if we freeze him in time... :)
    NimranJuliusBorisov