Skip to content

Assassin thieving skills development

Hi all, inspired by @Sorvan76's and @Southpaw's recent threads I decided to do an SCS no-reload solo run with an Elven Assassin (starting stats: 18-19-15-15-13-10).

So far I've made it to level 7 postponing the main plot and avoiding the most dangerous encounters. I've only invested in Stealth (current scores without items: 115 MS, 30 HiS) and in Find Traps (current score without items: 60). I already have the Boots of Stealth and the Shadow Armor, plus a Red Ioun Stone that gives +1 Dex, so my actual scores are a bit higher, at least in BG1.
There's also a master belt for sale at the Thunderhammer Smithy that gives a +10 bonus to Lockpicks and Disarm/Set Traps. I'll probably buy that one once I have the money. Importantly, I'm playing with item randomization, which means that many items, such as rings of invisibility, lockpicking or danger sence (BG2), etc won't be found in their usual places.

I've never played Assassins because of their low thieving skill progression, and I'd like to know how other people would distribute a solo Assassin's skill points, and in what order.

My thought has been to simply forgo lockpicking and pickpocketing (the latter being a skill I never develop anyway). Both skills can be enhanced relatively easily with potions. This leaves Find Traps, HiS/MS, Detect Illusions and Set Traps as the skills to develop.

I think my main questions are the following:

- Find Traps I consider indispensable given the no-reload character of my run. I know that in late BG1 and the TotSC content scores of about 100 are needed, but I think that this tendency doesn't continue in BG2. What do you consider the minimum Find Traps score for BG2 (not counting on items other than potions)?

- Both Detect Illusions and Set Traps seem invaluable skills to me, especially in BG2. I'm inclined to place my remaining 45 skill points for BG1 (levels 8, 9 10) in DI, and use the first three level-ups in BG2 (11, 12, 13) to raise that score to 100. This would obviously leave my Find Traps score relatively low (60 without items). It also means that I'll have to wait a long time before I can reliably place traps: another six level-ups (levels 14-19). Is this a recommendable course, or will I need the Set Traps skill earlier?

- Just as currently in BG1, my present average stealth score of 70 will be increased in BG2 by 25, thanks to boots of stealth and shadow armor, so up to circa 90. Would that be any good?

Many thanks in advance for your views!

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Thanks @Mathsorcerer, you do not mention either Detect Illusions or Set Traps. Do you think neither of them deserves investing in, for the first say, 20 levels?
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Set Traps, yes--many people couldn't do without their traps. Detect Illusion...well, other people tell me it is a useful skill but I have never used it. Ever. Going solo you might want to, otherwise you won't be able to find invisible enemies until your UAI lets you use detect invisibility scrolls.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    No reload assassin solo is a bit scary, since you give up the guaranteed benefit thief tools of set traps, really early stealth and get less guaranteed options like poison. If they roll really well, you have a problem maybe. Bountyhunter seems the most intuitive for no relosd solo, but assassins are pretty powerful anyways!

As for points, remember the Mercykiller Ring gives you 60 useful points, and the other 2 rings can be used as necessary.

In my personal experience, you can typically get by with well less than averaged 100% stealth by being really tedious. 70% should be enough. Use the Ring of Invisibilty to survive rough moments when you failed a vital hide check.

Fwiw, you will get iirc +2 Dex at least during Watcher's Keep, so consider each boost gets +5% on thief skills.

To your questions directly:

-I would skip both TotSC quests if I were you. Solo no relosd Assassin will be rough on these places. If you do go, have 60 or 80% find traps, and have many, many potions to boost.

-Set traps is really good, but the Fireball Necklace is perhaps better. If you have points, you wont regret spending on Find Traps, but you ptobably wont regret using traps either way. If you have the Ring of Invisibilty with some chsrges, you can totally get by with less stealth, so you can invest those ranks in traps. DI in BG1 is not good for an assassin imo. Save it for BG2!

-90 stealth is probably plenty, but buy the Ring of Air Elemental Control. Can you still buy infinite of these? You can totally sit on 90 for awhile though.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    My experience with BG1 - about 65-70 lockpicking and 70 Trap Disarm will be enough for most of the game (not Durlag's Tower and the last labyrinth, under Thieves' Guild).
    In BG2 - Look at Imoen, her Thieving levels are quite enough for the utility Thieving for most of the game, if you give her trinkets like Mercykiller ring...

I have actually played an Assassin twice (once in a group and once with Imoen and Viconia as tag-along-lucky-charms. They did not fight in 99% of cases and just came for the ride- and lockpicking and trap disarm in Imoen's case and banter in Viconia's.

Two builds:
    1) in a group - my Assassin focused on Set Snare and Open Locks, later Stealth and a few points in Detect Illusion too. But I had him mainly as a trapper and ranged poisonmaster.
    2) almost solo - focused on stealth skills and Set Snare and he did back-stab his way through the Sword Coast. Later, started with lockpicking. However, Imoen had to take care of the disarm, lockpicking and petty thievery (Pickpocket).

If I really had to go full solo (without my dear Imoen), I'd build similarly to you - some lockpicking for starters (~50-60max) and keep it that way, focus on trap disarming, snare-setting and some stealth (but obviously rely on the stealth items as much as possible)
    edited September 2014
    Thanks @Mathsorcerer, @DreadKhan, and @Southpaw. Maybe then I'll start building towards setting traps rather than detect illusion for my final three BG1 levels and to get that skill to 100 asap in BG2. I guess I'll just have to rely on stealth and non-detection in BG2 for enemy mages' invisibility etc to wear off.

Edit: if I don't invest in Detect Illusions at all, I'll have plenty of skillpoints for stealth and detect traps in BG2 and maybe even some for lockpicks.
    Well, 80%, remember the Mercykiller! ;)
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Assassins in Bg are awesome! Try using darts along with the assassin's normal poison weapon ability.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    You won't really need Detect Illusion in BG1, most mages will cast Mirror Images which is bypassed by Poison Weapon. If they cast cast Invisibility they can't harm you anymore, if they cast Improved Invisibility / Shadowdoor once again you will be able to bypass these with Poison Weapon. It's more important for others Thieves kits IMO (especially Shadowdancers).

Concerning Find Traps, only a few, avoidable, traps need really high score to disarm them. Like the ones in Durlag's Tower for example. If you don't plan a completionist run, you don't need this skill higher than 60 IMO. Before I was afraid of traps and I always thought of getting the skill up to 90 as fast as possible, nowadays I only get this one up to 40 for Chapters 1-5, then I increase it to 60 until the end of the game. It's plenty enough, you can disarm every traps in Candlekeep by drinking a potion and then you probably won't need theses potions for the rest of the game.

Like you, I don't use pickpockets.

Setting traps is amazing. Because it directly increase the fighting potential of your Thief, I tend to max it as soon as possible, like stealth.

So for an Assassin, I would go for stealth and traps, with a bit of Find Traps. Lockpicking is good, but because you are soloing, you will have far enough money and XP anyway, I wouldn't stress about it too much.

Southpaw said:

once with Imoen and Viconia as tag-along-lucky-charms.

Did ya rub them together for luck?

I gotta admit, you'd certainly be getting lucky. :p

Gotural, potikns of Thievery work nicely for the few nice grabs from locked chests, ie Candlekeep.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2014
    Speaking as a non-solo, non-noreload player but an avid assassin user, my priority for assassins is: Stealth -> Find Traps -> Open Locks -> Detect Illusions -> Set Traps.

Why Set Trap last? Because it is just so damn hit-or-miss until you score it up to a reasonable level. Anything below 50 is just flat out unusable in my experience and even anything between 50 to 100 is prone to failing. Yeah, doing it my way means you won't have traps for ages, but honestly the one time I tried investing in traps early on my assassin I was doing nothing for a good amount of time. The times it's helped me win fights versus the times it's just backfired in my face has just made it not worth it, I'd dare wager it's even worse in a no-reload.

Detect Illusions can be a massive asset, especially as SCS-buffed mages are prone to using Improved Invisibility, which is a pain. Even having just 30-40 is reasonable if you sit around in invisibility and hope for a lucky dispel illusion.

Find Traps > Open Locks, because I don't think there are many plot-essential locks, whereas the damage from traps can get downright lethal. Oddly I'm running two thieves in my latest party and my PC can unlock some locks with a mere 30.

I'd say ideal stats look something like this:

Open Locks: 50
    Find Traps: 60
    Hide In Shadows: 60 (90 with items)
    Move Silently: 70 (90 with items)
    Detect Illusion: 30
    Set Traps: (whatever you want, but investing in this really slows progression, I wouldn't advise it)

Shadow Armor is essential. Don't give Zhurlong back his boots either (before Boots of Speed which is a must have). Dagger of Venom is great too. I've had more success using a the Crossbow of Speed rather than a shortbow too due to the time it takes to get a decent shortbow. Alternatively, darts are a good choice.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    That was good rundown @Gotural and I agree. (Clicking "agree" was just not enough in this case).
    @bengoshi‌ what, my input sucks? ;) harsh!

You didnt mention the very useful Fireball Necklace, something no solo thief should leave home without! Seriously, its cheesefully delicious... like spreading Cheezewhiz on a cheese Dorito and topping it with ground up Cheetos; its that cheesey if you recharge. Rogues are supposed to be clever and resourceful after all.

Most other stuff I pretty much agree on. If you're doing scs, perhaps DI is more worth taking it, but skip it early otherwise. The only chests a thief really needs are the ones with tomes, especially Strength. 19 str is vastly better than 18.
    @bengoshi‌ But if you don't spend points on stealth, your only way to hide is to use Potions or the Ring of invisibility, in both cases, the effect last for 24 hours which is far more than enough to use Detect Illusion with only 20 or 10 points.
    Well, depends a bit. I certainly can make use of bad stealth... you just keep at it, then run where you need to. If you flub a check, you hide again somewhere else. This is why I call it tedius. Average 50% is enough for this, but you will want the Sand Thief ring for emergencies!
    Hey everyone, thanks for the input! I've been away for a couple of days, and I hadn't seen all the new posts.
    @Artemius_I makes a very good point about Detect Illusions being usable already at scores of 30-40 if the Assassin is invisible and thus has the time to detect illusions. (The only downside is that SCS casters tend to cast True Sight/Seeing when an invisible creature is near, which will dispel the invisibility before the caster's illusions are dispelled.)
    I also appreciate @Gotural's and @bengoshi's posts, for their detail and the valid points they make. Everyone seems to agree that Set Snares is worth investing in sooner rather than later. My Assassin has only leveled up once since I first opened this thread. The skill points went into Set Traps.

My current stats at level 8, without items, are:
    Open Locks: 25
    Find Traps: 60
    Pick Pockets: 35
    Move Silently: 115
    Hide in Shadows: 30
    Detect Illusions: 10
    Set Snares: 25

With the Tome of Dex, the +1 Dex Ioun Stone, the Boots of Stealth, the Shadow Armor, the Master belt and two more level-ups, my scores will be:

Open Locks: 25 + 10 + 10 = 45
    Find Traps: 60 + 10 + 10 = 80
    Pick Pockets: 35 + 10 = 45
    Move Silently: 115 + 5 + 20 = 140
    Hide in Shadows: 30 + 5 + 30 = 65
    Detect Illusions: 10
    Set Snares: 25 + 10 + 10 + 30 = 75

Detect Illusions will become my priority in BG2 (supposing I'll mke it there).
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277

(The only downside is that SCS casters tend to cast True Sight/Seeing when an invisible creature is near, which will dispel the invisibility before the caster's illusions are dispelled.)

Mages are very predictable with their anti-invisibility spells. If the divination sound and effect shows up I just cast Poison Weapon, stab them and hope for the best. If not, run, hide, rinse and repeat. I'm pretty sure mages have a limited number of anti-stealths available.

Also, you can always just use the Cloak of Non-detection.

Move Silently: 115
    Hide in Shadows: 30

I'm curious as to your reasoning around this. I can't count the number of times I've turned a corner to evade an enemy, tried to stealth and get "Hide in Shadows Failed" which messes with my entire strategy. I'm of the opinion that getting into stealth right away is the most important priority. 115 just seems overkill anyway - as a rule, I usually start focusing on other skills whenever I reach 100 in one.

Also, you may want to take into account stats without Boots of Stealth. Boots of Speed are a godsend to assassins.
    @Artemius_I‌ It has been proved that Hide in Shadows and Move Silently are infact completly identical and serve the same purpose. So 200 Move Silently and 0 Hide in Shadows will still get you 100% chance of hiding (it's the average of the two) and 100% chance of staying hidden like 0 in Move Silently and 200 in Hide in Shadows. Note that being in sunlight halves this percentage (and that there is always 1% to fail no matter what).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2014

Southpaw said:

once with Imoen and Viconia as tag-along-lucky-charms.

Did ya rub them together for luck?